Menu

Debating - would you... (health related) Update in Post #37

creekland

Update in Post #37

If you were getting a bit of fluid build up behind your ears (happens often) and probably in other areas (guess) and the edge wasn't really being taken off by Sudafed any longer, would you move on to antibiotics if you happened to have them (amox) on hand?

I'm wondering if it might help - totally unsure because I don't get ear infections often and when I do they're painful.  This isn't.  There's also no fever, etc.  

I'm fully aware that antibiotics taken when not needed are useless and kill off good bacteria.  Thus the debate.  There's that and tomorrow is Christmas, we have relatives here and will be heading out to see relatives for a few days, so heading to any sort of doctor (Urgent Care) to get their opinion isn't really on my list compared to "deal with it" in one way or another.  I prefer to make a "best guess" so am curious as to what others might do - esp if you have more experience with fluid and ears.

Either way, I plan on giving it until tonight to see if it improves on its own, continues to get worse, or starts to show obvious other infection signs making the decision easy.

Edited by creekland

No, I would not take antibiotics for fluid, as antibiotics don't do anything to fluid.  I would take curcumin (tumeric), which is an anti-inflammatory.  I would take Mucinex (or guaiafenisen) as that thins mucus and sometimes can allow things to drain.  I would use a nasal saline rinse as that shrinks the tissues in the nose and sinuses, thus relieving some pressure around the ears.  I would try a warm salt water gargle to try and get the Eustachian tube to drain.  I would drink lots (which allows your body to get rid of water) and I would stay away from salt. 

• Like 13

I start with alcohol in my ears, the most concentrated I can find (you don't want water in it), 90% or higher.  I pour it in, let it sit for a minute and then do the other side.  I pull my hair back so it's not over my ears, and dry them out with a hair dryer.  If it's early (no infection yet), this often works.

• Like 2

No, I would not take antibiotics for fluid, as antibiotics don't do anything to fluid.  I would take curcumin (tumeric), which is an anti-inflammatory.  I would take Mucinex (or guaiafenisen) as that thins mucus and sometimes can allow things to drain.  I would use a nasal saline rinse as that shrinks the tissues in the nose and sinuses, thus relieving some pressure around the ears.  I would try a warm salt water gargle to try and get the Eustachian tube to drain.  I would drink lots (which allows your body to get rid of water) and I would stay away from salt. 

I've moved on to wondering if an infection is causing the fluid... hence the question.

Turmeric is something I take daily.

Don't have Mucinex...

I do have Flonase and that worked well for a day the one time I tried it, but then seemed to give me awful lymph issue reactions until I stopped taking it.  I'll try it again at some point to ensure it was the Flonase causing the rest and not just a coincidence, but I hesitate to do it right now due to the timing (Christmas, etc).  The reactions were more miserable than the fluid issues.

If I stop eating salt, the headaches are awful - again - not a good trade off.

I can add more water though.

I would put some hydrogen peroxide in my ear first to see if that helps.

I did try cleaning my ears with OTC ear cleaning fluid.  That has never been an issue, but... hey... who knows?  Thanks for the thought.  ;)

I start with alcohol in my ears, the most concentrated I can find (you don't want water in it), 90% or higher.  I pour it in, let it sit for a minute and then do the other side.  I pull my hair back so it's not over my ears, and dry them out with a hair dryer.  If it's early (no infection yet), this often works.

I'm not thinking this infection (if it is one) is outer ear related.  I'm wondering if it's coming from something internal (non-nasal sinus or something).  It's a pure guess to be honest.  The pressure is just getting bothersome (for the second day in a row and now heading to the right ear, not just the left) - so I'm pondering potential options.  The right ear is being helped some by the Sudafed.  If the left ear is, I'm glad, but...

I'm not thinking this infection (if it is one) is outer ear related. I'm wondering if it's coming from something internal (non-nasal sinus or something). It's a pure guess to be honest. The pressure is just getting bothersome (for the second day in a row and now heading to the right ear, not just the left) - so I'm pondering potential options. The right ear is being helped some by the Sudafed. If the left ear is, I'm glad, but...

I would try it. It seems like there might be a low grade infection, so I would be fine giving the amox a try. I can typically tell the difference after a dose or two, so it's not like I would be committing to a long, unnecessary course.

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 2

Ibuprofen and Benadryl seem to help here when there is no infection. The Benadryl seems to work even better than the Sudafed for some reason, for getting rid of the fluid. Of course, it may make you sleepy.

Yeah, sleepy is not a good option for this time of year!  I add extra caffeine as it is to adjust my schedule to fit my more normal (schedule-wise) family.

I would try it. It seems like there might be a low grade infection, so I would be fine giving the amox a try. I can typically tell the difference after a dose or two, so it's not like I would be committing to a long, unnecessary course.

Oooh... good thought.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  If it doesn't seem to be working, then so be it.  That definitely is a plus in the "let me try it just to see" column.  Thanks!

Sometimes I have to wonder why my mind didn't come up with such obvious thoughts, but 'tis probably best if I don't dwell on that thought for too long.

Agreeing with Mucinex. It's nasty strong stuff, but it can keep me off asthma meds when I start getting congestion collecting in my lungs. I think it's worth going out to get some. 

I also really, really like Zarbee's Children's Cough Syrup + Mucus. It's all-natural, primarily honey and ivy leaf extract, and for a "natural" product it works amazingly well, and without the side effects of Mucinex. However, it is not *as* strong or *as* effective as Mucinex, so I'd probably use it as back-up and go for the 1-2 punch. 

ETA: Oh, I also think Alkalol for nasal rinsing is very effective.

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 3

I would put some hydrogen peroxide in my ear first to see if that helps.

Yikes. It burns like a bleep bleepin bleep. I tried that ONCE and would have gladly cut my ear out with a spoon to stop the pain. Blowing air into my ears even when I'm not having an issue is like ice picks being shoved in them. I always avoid even regular wind exposure.

If I felt it was progressing to ear/sinus infection - I'd take the antibiotics in hopes of nipping that hot mess before I wake up feeling like someone beat my head with a baseball bat.

General relief measures are a very hot shower with something like menthol tablets set off in the shower. And a hot water bottle on the offending side. Sleeping in the recliner instead of laying down. And something like NyQuil before sleep. And lots of hot broth throughout the day.

ETA: mucinex is probably fine. I usually take it for cheats congestion, but sure I think it might help for ear/sinus too. But dang is it expensive and I never got as much relief from it as I did by my general relief measures. About the same level of relief for me. I took it when I couldn't do the other relief measures.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

Just a thought, but I've always found that after taking Sudafed for 3 or 4 days, it actually causes whatever issue I have to be worse. It's great at first, but if I take it too long, I'm going to have all kinds of nasal and/or ear fluid issues. I have to make sure I stop taking it before I get to that point. 

Another natural remedy for the ears--I find warm compresses relieve the pain/pressure. Hot showers/baths and hot tea help me too. I've also been having a lot of good success with tissue salts. Nat mur is good for helping the body to redistribute water, and nat sulph for getting rid of excess water. I've been able to stave off or lessen the symptoms and durations of several illnesses. I'd probably try a good nasal saline rinse before the antibiotic, but if you are going to do the antibiotic, see if you can pick up some probiotics.

• Like 2

Yikes. It burns like a bleep bleepin bleep. I tried that ONCE and would have gladly cut my ear out with a spoon to stop the pain. Blowing air into my ears even when I'm not having an issue is like ice picks being shoved in them. I always avoid even regular wind exposure.

It only burns if your ear drum may have burst, or you have cuts in your ear, otherwise, it just fizzes in your ear - no pain! This is what the ENT has told me to try and it has held off many of an infection for me.

• Like 3

I'd second the Benadryl + guafenisen (Mucinex) recommendation.  Classically, repeated fluid in the inner ears is due to allergies, per my DO.  (The very best source on this is Healing Childhood Ear Infections by Dr. Michael Schmidt; seems like he has out a newer edition.)  A decongestant tend to clog things up further; my PCP say to use the guafenisin/Mucines instead to make it easier for the fluid to drain.

I'm sorry, Creekland.  Dd is fighting a headcold right now, and she's flying on Christmas day.  I feel for ya!

• Like 2

A differing opinion about just trying the antibiotics...it's my understanding that not taking a full course greatly increases the risk of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria developing.

I would never use anitbiotics that are just "laying around".  that implies either they were never used, or someone didn't finish a course and there won't be enough to do a full course.  the entire course needs to be done.  doseage is based upon weight, and drug family is based upon the suspected bacterium.  (amoxiclin does nothing for me when I have sinus infections.  much stronger ones do though . . . . . the stuff they gave me for a kidney infection really cleared out my sinuses . . . and I still had to do two more courses after that just for the sinusitus.)

and not just for the risk of anitbiotic resistance.  even when you start feeling better - there are still bacteria in your system, and the rest of the antibiotics are there to kill off those bacteria that are too small in number to make you feel sick.  just because someone "feels" better - doesn't mean they are.

I've had middle ear fluid, and inner ear fluid (you so do not ever want to go there.)  neither were "infections" that would have responded to an antibiotic.

musinex, benadryl, lots of water, sniffing crushed garlic, garlic mixed with unfiltered raw honey

• Like 3

Do you have oil of oregano on hand or can you get it quickly? I would put it in olive oil or coconut oil and drizzle a little into ear if there is the beginnings of an infection. Lots of water with lemon / lime juice. You can also take the oil of oregano internally but you have to brew a hot, tall cup of herbal tea and just put a few drops into it. It tasted vile and if you take it straight without a carrying medium you could burn your mouth. However, it has similar effects to antibiotics without the resistance factor.

Also google colloidal silver if you feel like it. :)

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

Agreeing with Mucinex. It's nasty strong stuff, but it can keep me off asthma meds when I start getting congestion collecting in my lungs. I think it's worth going out to get some. 

I also really, really like Zarbee's Children's Cough Syrup + Mucus. It's all-natural, primarily honey and ivy leaf extract, and for a "natural" product it works amazingly well, and without the side effects of Mucinex. However, it is not *as* strong or *as* effective as Mucinex, so I'd probably use it as back-up and go for the 1-2 punch. 

ETA: Oh, I also think Alkalol for nasal rinsing is very effective.

It's too late around here to get any of this now (been being sociable the rest of the day, so not online), but I also wonder if they would do any good when I have absolutely no breathing issues at all lung or nasal.

A differing opinion about just trying the antibiotics...it's my understanding that not taking a full course greatly increases the risk of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria developing.

In general, I fully agree and would never stop if it were an infection.  In this case, I'm not sure if it is or not.  If there's no improvement, my guess would be no, so stopping wouldn't produce antibiotic resistant strains of what isn't there.

Allegra 180 helps me. It is a low grade allergy that causes the congestion.

If it's an allergy, I have no idea what it I'm allergic to.  However, the idea of switching meds just to see is an option.  I have Claritin on hand.  It's probably worth trying before antibiotics since I'm still really unsure if it's anything bacterial.

Just a thought, but I've always found that after taking Sudafed for 3 or 4 days, it actually causes whatever issue I have to be worse. 

Now that you mention it, I recall this happened to me before too.  I'd forgotten.  Normally the ear drains reasonably regularly or doing something basic like eating can trigger it to start draining.  For some unknown reason, once in a while it builds up and gets terribly annoying.  This is one of those times.   :glare:

I'd second the Benadryl + guafenisen (Mucinex) recommendation.  Classically, repeated fluid in the inner ears is due to allergies, per my DO.  (The very best source on this is Healing Childhood Ear Infections by Dr. Michael Schmidt; seems like he has out a newer edition.)  A decongestant tend to clog things up further; my PCP say to use the guafenisin/Mucines instead to make it easier for the fluid to drain.

I'm sorry, Creekland.  Dd is fighting a headcold right now, and she's flying on Christmas day.  I feel for ya!

Another vote for switching to Claritin (since I have it)?

I've flown before with this issue... Sudafed helps considerably then, but only if I haven't used it prior to the day of the flight.

I would never use anitbiotics that are just "laying around".  that implies either they were never used, or someone didn't finish a course and there won't be enough to do a full course.  the entire course needs to be done.  doseage is based upon weight, and drug family is based upon the suspected bacterium.  (amoxiclin does nothing for me when I have sinus infections.  

Or it implies a source that remains unmentioned.  For those of us who tend to be more DIY with basic medical issues... sometimes this happens.  I'd easily have enough for a full course and dosage is easily found on the internet.  I agree that amox might not be strong enough pending the infection, but that's the one I have on hand, so would be my only choice.

I'm still debating it all though - mainly because I'm not convinced it's an infection without more classical signs.  Claritin sounds worth investigating first.  

And yes, doctors know it happens (including having seen an ENT).  Their suggestions just haven't been that useful either.  They have no idea what causes it and without knowing a cause, it's tough to get a fix.  I'm the one who's wondering (now) if it's some sort of infection.  An unknown allergy could be there too, but I've no idea what.  I'm also going a bit further now to think the source of this fluid might be the source of issues elsewhere too, but even that guess doesn't help.  It just makes me think issues are linked - somehow.  If I can figure out how to fix this one, perhaps it would fix others.

When it gets this annoying, I'm far more willing to try new things to see if anything works.  Fortunately, it doesn't happen that regularly, but it's still too often for my preference.

Do you have oil of oregano on hand or can you get it quickly?

No, but I'm thinking of adding it to my "supplies" in the future.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

If you were getting a bit of fluid build up behind your ears (happens often) and probably in other areas (guess) and the edge wasn't really being taken off by Sudafed any longer, would you move on to antibiotics if you happened to have them (amox) on hand?

I'm wondering if it might help - totally unsure because I don't get ear infections often and when I do they're painful. This isn't. There's also no fever, etc.

I'm fully aware that antibiotics taken when not needed are useless and kill off good bacteria. Thus the debate. There's that and tomorrow is Christmas, we have relatives here and will be heading out to see relatives for a few days, so heading to any sort of doctor (Urgent Care) to get their opinion isn't really on my list compared to "deal with it" in one way or another. I prefer to make a "best guess" so am curious as to what others might do - esp if you have more experience with fluid and ears.

Either way, I plan on giving it until tonight to see if it improves on its own, continues to get worse, or starts to show obvious other infection signs making the decision easy.

If it helps with hour decision I was told by the dr that except in severe cases the difference between an ear infection self resolving and antibiotics resolving it is only 24hrs.

There are now bacteria resistant to the last resort antibiotic although they don't affect people yet only animals.

So no, I personally think it's important to only use antibiotics where required and exactly as prescribed.

• Like 2

If it helps with hour decision I was told by the dr that except in severe cases the difference between an ear infection self resolving and antibiotics resolving it is only 24hrs.

Interesting.  The only two times I've used antibiotics for known ear infections (those with really bad ear infection pain, etc) they both cleared up very quickly.  I'll admit to doubting they'd have cleared up on their own 24 hrs later since they were progressively getting worse, but I guess I'll never really know.

This one just isn't like those (pressure, not the same type of pain), so today I'll see what Claritin does.  The right ear fixed itself last night, so isn't a problem.  (It usually isn't a problem - it being involved this time was part of why I was wondering if this could be different.)  Hopefully the left will get on board with life today.

As of this morning the rest of the annoying issues are better, so that's a huge plus mentally.  It's far easier ignoring one main issue rather than 3 or 4.  Time will tell if that stays or not.  Mornings are usually good.  When they aren't, I know I have a problem day coming.

It's Christmas now, so I assume the body will get on board with the holiday!  If not, eh, I'll live.

In general, the worst days tend to be followed by rather good days and yesterday would have ranked right up there on that worst column, so... there's definite hope, albeit I'm still trying Claritin to see if that helps - IRL or placebo effect - either is fine with me.

FWIW, Claritin did nothing - at least nothing I can tell - making me doubtful it's an allergy issue.  If there's a reason I should think differently, feel free to let me know.

Right now, ibuprofen has pulled off the left ear pain (which was getting worse until I took it).  If that comes back, then I'll give amox a try.  Almost any other time I would actually head to urgent care and let them give their opinion (and official meds if necessary).  With this being Christmas and us leaving early tomorrow morning, that option isn't there.  Travel is actually what I keep "emergency" supplies for TBH, albeit, usually out of country travel.  ;)

Hope you feel better and are enjoying the day! I would second the peroxide. We usually do lots of teas and organic honey

( honey is suppoosed to be antibacterial and antiviral).

Tomorrow, Most grocery stores have Breath Right yogi tea and others... They are designed for respiratory help, but tend to help with ears as well at our house. Pharmacists sometimes have something over the counter as well...sorry I can't think of the name of it. Ear pain is the worst, so i hope you get better soon.

Edited for weird comma usage...thanks ipad..I have enough trouble just spelling.

Edited by Silver Brook

FWIW, Claritin did nothing - at least nothing I can tell - making me doubtful it's an allergy issue. If there's a reason I should think differently, feel free to let me know.

Right now, ibuprofen has pulled off the left ear pain (which was getting worse until I took it). If that comes back, then I'll give amox a try. Almost any other time I would actually head to urgent care and let them give their opinion (and official meds if necessary). With this being Christmas and us leaving early tomorrow morning, that option isn't there. Travel is actually what I keep "emergency" supplies for TBH, albeit, usually out of country travel. ;)

Maybe they fell into the severe category? Idk. I do sympathise as I'm prone to ear infections and I ignored one once until my eardrum burst. (Well actually I sent dh out to the pharmacist. He told her I was breastfeeding and she said oh I could just stop as my baby was 18months old and he couldn't possibly be getting any nutrition anyway. At that point in time he wasn't eating anything else much so I'm pretty sure he was getting nutrition. But that is a separate story.)

Heat packs can help a little if you haven't tried that. I guess it is hard to get to a dr at this time of year.

If I felt it was progressing to ear/sinus infection - I'd take the antibiotics in hopes of nipping that hot mess before I wake up feeling like someone beat my head with a baseball bat.

General relief measures are a very hot shower with something like menthol tablets set off in the shower. And a hot water bottle on the offending side. Sleeping in the recliner instead of laying down. And something like NyQuil before sleep. And lots of hot broth throughout the day.

ETA: mucinex is probably fine. I usually take it for cheats congestion, but sure I think it might help for ear/sinus too. But dang is it expensive and I never got as much relief from it as I did by my general relief measures. About the same level of relief for me. I took it when I couldn't do the other relief measures.

No.  Overusing antibiotics is what is contributing to rendering them ineffective.

True, but using them correctly does not.  If this is indeed an infection, it's using them correctly.

Have you been to an ear, nose, and throat specialist?

For this whole issue?  Yes.  He has no idea what's causing it all and blames it on radiation since it started afterward. The best he's offered are tubes, but that comes with ending water activities. The radiation docs have no idea what's causing it all and say it can't be radiation since it's lasting as long as it is.  Basic docs see the issue (as do the others) via an oversized ear drum and have no idea either.  Try various meds.

If all is going along ok, I'm fine living with it. It has pressure, but drains, so no real big deal.  I'm used to it.  When it's not, it's an entirely different scene and I need to figure out what to do to try to fix it.

Flying works well with sudafed.  Scuba is unfortunately out.  Day to day is livable.  Bad days... there is no one solution that always works.  I'm still working on it as needed.  

The Hive is giving me options to consider and have on hand to try (another time).  I truly appreciate that.

I'm just speculating out loud here, but even if you don't have a bacterial infection, you would still have bacteria in your body that the antibiotic would affect, wouldn't you? IOWs, you have all sorts of bacteria all the time that may or may not be affected by that particular antibiotic. And if you take a partial dose, it seems more likely that the particular bacteria affected by the antibiotic would develop a resistance, even though it's just hanging around not infecting you at this point. I don't know, but it makes sense to me.

• Like 1

I'm just speculating out loud here, but even if you don't have a bacterial infection, you would still have bacteria in your body that the antibiotic would affect, wouldn't you? IOWs, you have all sorts of bacteria all the time that may or may not be affected by that particular antibiotic. And if you take a partial dose, it seems more likely that the particular bacteria affected by the antibiotic would develop a resistance, even though it's just hanging around not infecting you at this point. I don't know, but it makes sense to me.

Most bacteria that a human body harbors is good for us.  I doubt it would matter about a partial dose if done sparingly.  In the past I've had docs tell me to quit using an antibiotic if it isn't helping (keep using it if it got better, of course).

The bad ones are those we'd have to worry about building resistance.

For this specific situation, all might be well.  More pressure than usual is still there, but the pain never returned after taking ibuprofen earlier, and the ibuprofen should have worn off by now.

If it's not driving me crazy, I'm ok living with it, so at this point, I'll take amox along with me on the trip, but I might not have to bother with it.

Why it's changed is as much a mystery as why it happens to begin with.  Who knows, maybe it's some sort of infection the body is working on fighting off itself (and succeeding), but if so, I wish it'd finish the job and have the whole deal go away.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok!  I'm just bumping this thread back up because I'm pretty positive I finally figured out a common denominator of what makes that blasted ear really hurt.  It's a constant issue now, but it varies in intensity.

Antibiotics did nothing.

Changes in altitude do nothing to change it. If bad it will stay bad.  If good it will stay good.  Actually, my ears no longer pop with changes in altitude when driving, nor does it hurt not doing so.

I thought being out in the cold, then coming in to the warmth made it worse, but that wasn't consistent.

What is?

Activity with my arms - esp left arm!

When I was out in the cold and it hurt upon coming in, I was working outside - shoveling snow - doing critter chores like filling water buckets.  Just going on a walk did not affect it regardless of the length of the walk.

Driving or playing cards for lengthy periods of time will do it.  Riding in a car does not.  Typing on computers does not.

Doing tons of things at school on the white board will do it.  Just wandering around, lecturing without writing, sitting, or helping kids at their desks does not.

Inventorying books at our school library - esp from high shelves - make it really bad.  Just "working" in the library was fine.

Kayaking this morning for an hour has left it incredibly painful - hence - being able to figure it all out 'cause it was feeling quite good for the past few days, until that.  It's also led to reviving this thread (anyone have any suggestions short of stop living?).

I have an ENT appt in early April, so only about a month to figure out if there's something I can do that might help it feel better while still enjoying life (or work, etc).

Sudafed and Flonase do nothing.  Ibuprofen does nothing.

Then too, anatomy boy tells me he would tend to think it's a vascular issue - esp with the feeling extra cold bit I've been having - so is an ENT even the right dude to have an apt with?

I'm pretty sure there's no cardiac type of issue - no fatigue or anything similar.  All issues from this seem to be in my head (literally) or arms/hands/legs/feet.  That assumes all issues are connected.  My gut thinks they are, but doctors I've seen have felt differently.

I'm not sure how helpful this will be because I think you have other things going on besides the ear, if I'm remembering correctly.  But anytime I eat dairy, my ears get clogged up.  Same for one of my dd's.  And certain kinds of dairy actually make my left ear hurt (butter ...).  It's almost immediate; same with dd. 

But if it's more of a mechanical thing (raising the arm), this may not apply.  Just throwing it out there.

It's great you finally (mostly) figured it out though.  :)

Food (or lack thereof) doesn't affect it.  I've tried that oodles of times.  I'm 99% sure this one is mechanical.  Exactly what or why I have no idea, but this is the first thing that has matched in hindsight right around 100%.

I will, of course, be testing it more in the future, but I'm not looking forward to it or going to do much "special" just to try it.  I suspect it will happen naturally from my life TBH as I don't care to stop actually living.  I'll just be paying attention to what happens.

• Like 1

Thanks for that link, Jean.  In the morning I'll google a little bit more about the solutions they suggest.  It sounds worth trying.

Also, after radiation can cause lymph node issues.  If your lymph isn't flowing well, perhaps over use of your arms causes issues with your ears.  Can you get a lymph massage (and learn how to do it)?

Thanks for this suggestion too.  It's another thing I'll google in the morning to check out.

Just to be clear, it's only the left ear (lately) and it doesn't affect hearing or balance at all - another reason I'm wondering if it's really an ear problem or something else that's just affecting the ear (an option suggested by the Anatomy teacher at school a couple of months ago).  Aside from the ear hurting like crazy, it doesn't match the typical "ear" problems he showed me with his model.

It's a little better from kayaking earlier today, but not as much as I would like.  I'm heading to bed very soon and hope sleep will help.  Tomorrow should be a day without extra aggravation, so I'll see what that brings too.

• Like 1

Remember when I said to try the Chiro? I still say that, lol. 

Another odd though is that it could be jaw pain radiating to the ear, but if you get actual fluid in the ear that probably isn't it. 

Still sticking with chiro as the best option. 

• Like 1

Remember when I said to try the Chiro? I still say that, lol. 

Another odd though is that it could be jaw pain radiating to the ear, but if you get actual fluid in the ear that probably isn't it. 

Still sticking with chiro as the best option. 

Jaw pain is coming from this ear issue, not the other way around - at least - not in order of occurrence.  That surprised no one since there's a nerve running right by the affected area.

If the ENT doesn't find anything this time (as the last one didn't a little over a year ago), then I will try a Chiro.  Something is up and needs to be fixed - esp since the base level is constant now.

It took until about 2:30 this morning for my ear to finally ease off from the kayaking experience.  Laying down on my left side definitely helped, so that's good to know.  I don't usually sleep on that side, so the rest of my body protested, but changing brought back the pain - until about 2:30.

And as always... my body can't sleep once it's up in the morning.  I got a few cat naps in between my last post and about an hour ago.

I am not sure how similar my symptoms were to yours but I had pretty much non stop pressure in my ears. I hated to use the word painful because I didn't want to be a wimp but the pressure was so bad it was a constant annoyance. My ENT had me take Zyrtec once a day (the strongest of the OTC allergy medications) and Nasacort twice a day (she contends Flonase is alcohol based and problematic in women especially) for three weeks. My eardrum was sucking in from sinus pressure. Some people get sinus infections, I got ear pleasure. The meds helped but not enough, so at the grand old age of 38 I had ear tubes put in and it was the best decision I could've made. I don't have to worry about water unless it's fresh. I don't need ear plugs or a swim cap for chlorinated water, so unless you're doing a lot of fresh water activities that shouldn't be a limiting factor. It was a big decision but it was a life changer so I thought I would throw it out there.

An added benefit is that if I hold my nose and blow to clear my tubes I can make my ears whistle through the tubes. My kids think I'm awesome. :)

ETA- freshwater activity is still an option, it just requires a set of the moldable ear plugs.

Thanks for adding your experience with tubes.  That's what the first ENT suggested and if nothing else comes from the new guy or pressure points/massage or chiro, that will have to be my answer.  If this is connected to the actual things I do - life things - those aren't going to be given up, but living with pain as bad as it gets - esp with it getting worse -  isn't the answer either.

Hmm, out of likes (sigh).

However, if I get to vote about which answer I want to work, this one wins!

I'm going to be googling about these procedures this morning...

I have experienced exactly what you describe and massage was what worked for me. When my ear starts the initial telltale tickling I know that deep muscles in my neck are spasming. Sometimes my ear will just feel clogged or plugged and as soon as I start massaging my neck along the sternocleidomastoid it relaxes and I can hear better. It may take a few sessions before it improves but I'm willing to wager it will improve with massage.