Menu

s/o What do u like about British tv?

fairfarmhand

this was discussed on the british teeth thread, but id love to hear what you like about british tv?

i like that the actors and actresses look like ordinary people with a wide range of looks, body types etc. they dont all look like carbon copies of one another.

i also ,love the humor. of course, they can get raunchy too. but the sense of humor is often more clever/nuanced than that in the us.

anyone else?

sorry for the typing. im on hold with a billing place. and im typing one handed.

• Like 11

- The actors have a variety of body shapes

- There are a variety of ages of actors (not just young and "pretty")

- The actors are highly skilled at their craft and not just a pretty face and body

- There are actual story lines with plots, and the stories don't always have to include a romance and a happy ending

-  British TV shows don't shy away from depicting the reality and silliness of stupid work environments, such as government TV (BBC) on the show W1A

- They stop a series instead of pushing through for the required 8 seasons to get syndication and big $$$$ (even though the show is crap by then)

- They successfully turn foreign books into good British TV shows (Wallander) 

• Like 13

I like that everyone isn't beautiful.   In American TV, the maid is likely to be the runner-up for the main character and they are both stunning.  I like that the maid probably looks very plain in British TV.  

Although, I do wish the teeth were a little better.  A majority of British actors seem lower-lower class to me because of the teeth.   That is fine if they are playing a lower class character but it is jarring when they aren't.   

I agree with the others.

Really good acting. People who do not look like mannequins are shown in all kinds of roles.  I think these things are related - its hard to have the best actors if they all need to look the same.  And they don't want them to make themselves look bad.

I respond more to British humour (I think it is probably closer to Canadian humour in many ways.  Lots of crossdressing, for one thing.)

I agree that the writing and storytelling is often better.  Even in a comedy, for example, there is often really good drama, and things that are touching.  One thing that I think makes a difference is that they have a more serial quality - there is a real story arc, and they don't have so many episodes either - a year might have a six episode season, or sometimes even only a miniseries per year.  They often aren't open-ended either, so they don't just go on and on trying to create new plotlines.  There is a thematic structure of some kind.

THey seem more willing, as well, to have characters be really complex, a main character can be the hero but still have really unsavoury qualities.  Or - evil characters who have qualities we can sympathize with. 

That being said - I think American shows have really improved in the writing in the last few years, both in terms of complex characters and plots that have structure and coherence. (Though, they may actually tend to go overboard at times on the character flaw thing - it can seem contrived.)  I really notice now when I watch older American shows that they just don't have the depth of more modern ones. ( One exception is Twin Peaks - I re-watched that recently, and boy was it ahead of its time.  )

• Like 3

I like that so many of their big stars take on character roles in tv shows. They might have gained fame in a movie that was a blockbuster on both sides of the pond, but are not above taking on different roles in tv shows. For example, I might see a big time British actor pop up as the murderer's neighbor (and I'm talking about after they gained movie fame).

• Like 7

Mostly what everyone else has already said. The actors seem more "real" because they aren't all exactly the same perfect image. I like the acting better. I couldn't really pinpoint what's different exactly and I'm not saying american actors are bad, but I seem to connect more with the characters in British tv. I feel more drawn to the story and I see the character, not the actor. I like the story telling, not every story fits into one of just a few molds. I like the more relaxed sense of humor. It seems like there are a lot of topics American tv makes a deal out of avoiding or else they try too hard to include. It just seems more natural in British tv.

• Like 1

I like that so many of their big stars take on character roles in tv shows. They might have gained fame in a movie that was a blockbuster on both sides of the pond, but are not above taking on different roles in tv shows. For example, I might see a big time British actor pop up as the murderer's neighbor (and I'm talking about after they gained movie fame).

prime example - dame judi dench.  (aka: "M".)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I love British and Scandinavian TV. And not just for the stories. It's also a really cheap way to travel. I'll pause a show to study the interior decoration or the landscape or the clothes... These shows often have a better sense of place than American shows, which are often set in Anytown, USA (and then filmed in Vancouver!)

• Like 9

Accents. Landscapes. Real looking actors ( sometimes ). 

When we first started watching British shows there were lines we missed or had to go back and listen to in order to understand what was said. After a while we just let ourselves get the idea from the context. Now though, after several years of watching British (and some Australian) shows, we rarely miss something just because of the accent.

• Like 4

When we first started watching British shows there were lines we missed or had to go back and listen to in order to understand what was said. After a while we just let ourselves get the idea from the context. Now though, after several years of watching British (and some Australian) shows, we rarely miss something just because of the accent.

I find UK accents (anyplace. Of all flavors, Irish, Scottish, etc) SO appealing. I've tried to talk my dh into talking to me British, but he won't go for it. I just have to deal with the southern drawl. :)

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 4

I like that they don't waste time explaining every little thing. If you miss the reference, too bad. Look it up. The show moves on. I love that little mini-series-like thing they sometimes do where the story wraps up with a handful of episodes. I also like that I'm not staring at California 80% of the time.

I will admit that I sometimes find the production values, and the fact that they have about 12 actors, distracting.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 5

They also tend to appear in a lot of stage productions.  I think that might account for some of the difference in the acting style compared to a lot of American actors.  Acting on the stage is really different.  A lot of movie and television stuff is very choppy and depends more on the director peicingtogether little bits to make it look good.  People can more easily get away without really doing any acting at all.

I also think many people over here don't think acting really requires much serious training or work.

• Like 1

I can relate to the characters better.  I am drawn into the stories more often.  Like others have said, the actors don't all look like they're from SoCal.  I can honestly say that I think that the acting is much better quality than in american shows.

I've never once been bothered by anybody's teeth.  Sometimes I notice that they aren't that great, but it goes with the character.

I've never once been bothered by anybody's teeth.  Sometimes I notice that they aren't that great, but it goes with the character.

This is actually the issue: as an actor, you try to make your appearance 'malleable', so that you can fit many parts. If you are very fat, very thin, very tattooed, then you will be type-cast.  If you had really white, ultra-regimented teeth (veneers, etc.) then you would not be chosen to play most British parts, because it would put you outside the norm.

• Like 3

I grew up with pretty much all British TV as I grew up in a former British colony.  It is calming to me because it is familiar and more like home.

British TV can move a bit slower, but I prefer it.  The slapstick comedy, move a mile a minute of our American TV can make me crazy.

Miranda

Keeping Up Appearances

Call the Midwife

etc.....

- The actors are highly skilled at their craft and not just a pretty face and body

- There are actual story lines with plots, and the stories don't always have to include a romance and a happy ending

-  British TV shows don't shy away from depicting the reality and silliness of stupid work environments, such as government TV (BBC) on the show W1A

- They stop a series instead of pushing through for the required 8 seasons to get syndication and big $$$$ (even though the show is crap by then)

Yes! And while I'm an impatient American, I don't mind (much) that I have to wait a year or two b/t seasons (called series there) to see more of Doc Martin or Sherlock. I once read that DM was on hold b/c Martin Clunes and his wife (high up brass on that show) wanted to spend more time w/ their dd. Bravo! 

I just agree with what everyone else has said!   :)

And  :iagree:  w/ J-rap. 

Edited by Angie in VA

Yes! And while I'm an impatient American, I don't mind (much) that I have to wait a year or two b/t seasons (called series there) to see more of Doc Martin or Sherlock. I once read that DM was on hold b/c Martin Clunes and his wife (high up brass on that show) wanted to spend more time w/ their dd. Bravo! 

Another reason for the short series on BBC is that the organisation has a written duty to provide variety, even at the expense of ratings.  They could probably get better ratings by running some of the series longer, but it would use up money and time slots that would then not be available for programmes that please other people.

• Like 1

Another reason for the short series on BBC is that the organisation has a written duty to provide variety, even at the expense of ratings.  They could probably get better ratings by running some of the series longer, but it would use up money and time slots that would then not be available for programmes that please other people.

I really have to admire the BBC for being able to actually provide great TV shows (and even make comedies about the BBC, as in W1A)  despite being a government organization. The CBC in Canada doesn't do this, that for sure. 

I really have to admire the BBC for being able to actually provide great TV shows (and even make comedies about the BBC, as in W1A)  despite being a government organization. The CBC in Canada doesn't do this, that for sure. 

How is the CBC constituted?  The BBC isn't exactly a government organisation, although it certainly receives pressure from government on various issues.  It has its own board, and its funding doesn't come from general taxation.  Instead, anyone who owns a TV that they watch, or watches broadcasts live on another device, pays a licence fee.  So the corporation has a charter that specifies that it has to inform, educate and entertain, and answer to the licence-fee payers.

I love British tv for the reasons stated. It just seems better than American tv. :). In addition to BBC America, i subscribe to Acorn TV to get my fix.

Hmmm...after browsing their list of shows, I may get myself an Acorn subscription as a Christmas gift!

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

How is the CBC constituted?  The BBC isn't exactly a government organisation, although it certainly receives pressure from government on various issues.  It has its own board, and its funding doesn't come from general taxation.  Instead, anyone who owns a TV that they watch, or watches broadcasts live on another device, pays a licence fee.  So the corporation has a charter that specifies that it has to inform, educate and entertain, and answer to the licence-fee payers.

I didn't know that about BBC. CBC is a crown corp, receiving most of its funding through general taxation, though they are soliciting money through advertising now as well. 

I love British tv for the reasons stated. It just seems better than American tv. :). In addition to BBC America, i subscribe to Acorn TV to get my fix.

We don't get BBC America because we cut the cord, but we love Acorn TV. We have it on our Roku. Some British shows appear on PBS, so we get them from there too.

• Like 1

Quick list without reading the others (sorry :))...

More real looking actors/actresses.  Not everybody is beautiful....or I should rephrase that....I see the wide range of beauty rather than just one type.

Better stories...not dumbed down.  

Not usually overly sexual/overly violence.

• Like 1

We don't get BBC America because we cut the cord, but we love Acorn TV. We have it on our Roku. Some British shows appear on PBS, so we get them from there too.

Netflix gets quite a few too, but you never know when they'll be removed from streaming. I wish I'd watched all of The Forsyte Saga before they took it down.

• Like 1

:iagree: