Menu

Which is better: treadmill or exercise bike?

Renai

Which is better for at-home fitness?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Treadmill or Exercise Bike?

• Treadmill
    • Exercise bike
    • Obligatory other

I'm trying to attach a poll. 

So, I've asked dh to buy me an exercise bike this year, but am wondering if a treadmill is better. We don't have much space, so either option will have to be folding, which means it won't have a lot of bells and whistles. 

Other at-home stuff I do periodically (not consistently) are walking, pilates, and zumba (also do zumba in class for 8 weeks each semester).

What do ya'll think? Thanks!

What about running outside? C25K? You can ask hubby for awesome shoes, a running belt, and waterproof headphones instead.

I hate running. It feels like my insides are going to fall out. I blame Gymnast. Also, it is cold more months than warm here, and I am way too much of a baby to go out in the cold. :D

The one you're most likely to use.

Treadmill's hard on my knees. Bike's hard on my rear. I like elliptical best if I have to do cardio on a machine but I have other ways to get it now.

I'm open to either. I may be leaning more towards bike, but it seems that a treadmill or elliptical could possibly help exercise the core as well. I wonder the health benefits of each.

I have used one at the gym. I like rowing. I don't feel the butt was the most worked--probably an elliptical or bike/spin machine would be better for the butt.

I would say it's cardio and strength, yes. What I like most is the core work. Beautiful rowing abs!

It's my favorite indoor machine. I think you can achieve some of those moves with bands, but if you want a machine, then that's the one I'd go for.

• Like 2

So, ya'll are saying the bike is out, and look more toward a treadmill, elliptical, or rowing machine. I'm looking up stuff on Amazon, but if there are specific suggestions, I'll take those. Thanks!

Here's my wish list. I'm not saying I picked out the best, but I think I found the best value for middle grade equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ls/?ie=UTF8&lid=Z6YPONXBPV03

• Like 2

My mother had a folding treadmill.

Well, it was supposed to fold. Actually doing so was such a huge pain that it stayed out. I think that's likely to be your number one problem with either one - still takes up a lot of space and is difficult to get out and actually use it.

• Like 2

Whether you get an elliptical, a bike, or a treadmill, be sure to try them out in the store first to see if they are comfortable for you. Some elliptical machines have the pedals too far apart for me and while they feel fine for the first few minutes, they really hurt my knees after a while. With bikes, the seat comfort is the biggest issue (although you can usually buy a replacement seat,) but you also want to be sure the pedals move smoothly and that you are in a comfortable riding position. If you choose a recumbent, stay on it for at least 20 minutes or so, because some of the seats can put you in a position that really hurts your back. Our recumbent seemed so comfy in the store, but I only tried it for a few minutes. When I started using it a lot at home, it was horrible for my back.

Treadmills are pretty easy to try out because you're mainly looking for smoothness and whether or not the belt is comfortable to walk on. Some are more padded than others. Also, if there is a screen, make sure you can see it easily and that there is a place to plug in an iPod (or whatever) as well as a cup holder for a water bottle.

If you like the idea of multitasking, you could get a treadmill desk or a bike with a built-in desk. Those things are pretty cool. I haven't tried the bikes, but the desks are nice as long as you don't want to walk at a super-brisk pace (because they aren't made for jogging.)

• Like 2

I agree, the one you'll use.  However, take into consideration if you have paths/sidewalks to walk outside and your preference there AND if you have your own bike.  Is the indoor exercise option for either a better one for you?  Maybe choose that one.  I have a treadmill because I have one small length of sidewalk in our village and it's not enough!  Plus, we can have nasty winters and I need to be able to walk indoors.  

Count me among those who really dislike ellipticals.  lol  (I take spinning classes, too, so the thought of getting a bike is tempting, but do I need both?  I'm putting off the decision because I may want a mountain bike to use on trails nearby...)

• Like 1

I'd go with whichever one is most appealing to you.  It doesn't matter how good a workout something gives you if you hate to use it.  Whatever you choose, make sure it's a good fit, sturdy and doesn't make too much noise.  Keep in mind that whatever you try in a store will sound a lot louder in a home.  If you have any kind of joint or back issues a treadmill may be the best choice, but they do take up a lot of real estate, and sturdy ones aren't inexpensive.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

I love to walk and hike, so I find a treadmill (we own one) to be sooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

Ellipticals kill me but, like catwoman said, you have to make sure that it works for your body. We own one. I thought it was good until I tried the ones at the gym----I am too small for our home one! The elliptical works my legs, butt, and abs as well as giving me a good cardio workout.

I <puffy heart and rainbows> love the recumbent bike at the gym. It gives me a good cardio and leg workout. I use that bike the day after I heavy-lift with my trainer.

• Like 2

My personal preference would be for the bike. Treadmills are too hard on my joints, plus the running can exacerbate even a minor prolapsed bladder (which I have, and I do not want to have to carry my bladder home from the gym in a little bag, thank you very much :P).  I prefer the ellipticals to the treadmills, but whenever I've used an elliptical it made my feet go numb and tingly. 

I prefer the bike. Very low impact, and easier if you want to read or watch tv or something because there's less jostling around.

• Like 1

I agree, the one you'll use.  However, take into consideration if you have paths/sidewalks to walk outside and your preference there AND if you have your own bike.  Is the indoor exercise option for either a better one for you?  Maybe choose that one.  I have a treadmill because I have one small length of sidewalk in our village and it's not enough!  Plus, we can have nasty winters and I need to be able to walk indoors.  

Count me among those who really dislike ellipticals.  lol  (I take spinning classes, too, so the thought of getting a bike is tempting, but do I need both?  I'm putting off the decision because I may want a mountain bike to use on trails nearby...)

We live down the street from the river, where we fall in and out of the habit of walking. We used to walk on and off the trails. (hangs head in shame) Summer months aren't so bad, but it gets cold about half the year. Did I mention I'm a cold wimp? I do not have my own bike.

I love to walk and hike, so I find a treadmill (we own one) to be sooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

Ellipticals kill me but, like catwoman said, you have to make sure that it works for your body. We own one. I thought it was good until I tried the ones at the gym----I am too small for our home one! The elliptical works my legs, butt, and abs as well as giving me a good cardio workout.

I <puffy heart and rainbows> love the recumbent bike at the gym. It gives me a good cardio and leg workout. I use that bike the day after I heavy-lift with my trainer.

I have a walking video I like (Leslie Sansone), but she does more than just walk. So, you bring up a good point of whether it would be boring to be on a treadmill. But, that video is also my go-to when I know I need to do something as far as exercise, and it doesn't take long. It also isn't much of a workout anymore.

I want a rowing machine. One that I can prop up agains a wall or hide under my bed when done. My cousin does real rowing on a team and she is tall and gorgeous, and I'm sure it must be due to the rowing. :D

I wish there was something I could do to make me taller, alas...

Which brings up another point - I've found some of these machines (especially bikes) are not conducive to shorties like myself. I'm 4'11.' I've already ruled out recumbent bikes, but others are better.

I have a lot to consider. Thanks! 

I've had a treadmill and exercise bike. Now I own a heavy punching bag on a stand. Not sure it's great for an apartment though. I love it as I cannot exercise in the cold. I use it for cardio and an all over workout. 

My treadmill was big, easy to fold up, however. It was hard on the knees and fairly noisy even though I had a fairly decent model. I didn't have a table then, but might use it more now. The exercise bike wasn't as fun and I don't feel like I got enough of a workout on it. 

I would try a gym membership for a month - is there one you can join for a month? - and see which equipment suits you best. 

• Like 2

a nordic track cross county ski machine.  made prior to 1998, at which time they were purchased by icon fitness. you can purchase refurbished ones from original nordic track technicians on ebay and amazon.  they're pretty durable with simple periodic maintence. I even found one local.  they fold fairly small, work upper and lower and are durable.  you can use the arms, or not.

I've purchased a few via craiglist (I gave one to my daughter), and refurbished them.  part from ebay, and a few places online.  get one with adjustable front legs - if you increase the front elevation, it will work your abdominals too.

stay away from the "nordic track pro classic".  it's made by icon fitness.

• Like 2

I would try a gym membership for a month - is there one you can join for a month? - and see which equipment suits you best. 

Good suggestion! We invested a good amount into a treadmill, bike, and weights.  Then we joined a gym and discovered that we liked different workouts at different times- treadmill, bike, elliptical, weights...we stuck with the gym because the equipment was better and we could work out together. 

But it would be a great way to see what kind of workout you really like.  Gyms in our area run specials for a free month this time of year.  

• Like 2

We have a trainer thing for our bikes.  My husband loves road biking, but snow and ice make that difficult in the winter.  He uses something like this:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10052&categoryId=400037&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=400006&top_category=400006&pageView=

except we got it used for about $50.  It works for both his bike and my bike, and it's not too hard to set up.  And it takes up very little space when not in use (except for the bike...those take up space, but much less than a treadmill)  It is a great workout!  The tension is adjustable.

The best part is, the bike can be used outside!!!  This would work great if you already have a bike that you like.  

• Like 2

I have a walking video I like (Leslie Sansone), but she does more than just walk. So, you bring up a good point of whether it would be boring to be on a treadmill. But, that video is also my go-to when I know I need to do something as far as exercise, and it doesn't take long. It also isn't much of a workout anymore.

I have some of her videos (although they are collecting dust somewhere at the moment).  I had actually just decided to start using them again come January.  Maybe you just need a few of her more intense videos?  I think walking/running on a treadmill would not give you much/any benefit over the walking videos.

• Like 1

We have a trainer thing for our bikes.  My husband loves road biking, but snow and ice make that difficult in the winter.  He uses something like this:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10052&categoryId=400037&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=400006&top_category=400006&pageView=

except we got it used for about $50.  It works for both his bike and my bike, and it's not too hard to set up.  And it takes up very little space when not in use (except for the bike...those take up space, but much less than a treadmill)  It is a great workout!  The tension is adjustable.

The best part is, the bike can be used outside!!!  This would work great if you already have a bike that you like.  

I have my bike on a trainer inside during the winter- I love it!  And there are some awesome dvds out there to give you a workout on it.   

• Like 1