Menu

Induction Question

MinivanMom

All 5 of mine were induced. My experience with Cytotec--I checked in at 9 pm with the plan of letting the cyto work overnight and delivering the next day. Baby was born at 11:45 pm! It was my easiest delivery by far. For me, breaking the water lead to much worse contractions than cyto. Ymmv.

Eta--I totally didn't understand your first post. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

Edited by Moxie

I was induced both times.  The first time they tried three different drugs.  No clue which ones, but the first two did not work.  Ultimately it all didn't seem like a big deal.

That said, why do they want to induce you?  I was induced the first time because my water broke and nothing happened on its own.  The second time because it was way past the due date.  I don't think that I'd agree to it without a good reason.

I will assume that you are on board with a medically necessary induction in the first place, so beyond that, if you question what your doctors are telling you please, please talk to them about your concerns.

I was induced with pitocin with my daughter. I started from zero, and it was mostly a quick and easy birth. However, I have come to learn that pitocin births are often more painful since they are quick, but of course, most people have epidurals, so it doesn't even matter

Was not induced with my son, who was born after a loss. They never suggested I induce for any reason, and I was kind of against induction at all by then. That said, I was given cytotec immediately after birth and again the next day due to hemmorhaging and had a scary - but totally non-life-threatening - reaction to it. I did NOT want it again that second day, but... Hemmorhaging...

My personal experience with cytotec (17 years ago) was  that I had 1 contraction: for 11 hours.  It was hell.  This is a problem with cytocec that is common.

Also, unless something has changed, (I learned this after the fact, sigh), cytotec is an off-label use, and is says right on the label: do not use to induce labor. Here it is: http://www.drugs.com/pro/cytotec.html

• Like 1

((Hugs)).

I had a (early) 2nd trimester loss with baby #4. Judging from my emotions, I think the baby had died 3 weeks before they did a d&c. I was such a mess with all the crazy hormones and loss.

My only experience with induction was my overdue ds and I have no idea what they used, but it was my easiest delivery ever. Just wanted to pop in and offer some hugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm extremely sorry for your loss.   

I was induced both times for high bp.  Both used a Cytotec type medication (though I'm not totally sure if it was THAT exact med) before Pitocin.  The first time it was fine, did the job correctly, my water broke and they start Pitocin because contractions were still really far apart.  

The 2nd time it caused me to hyper contract.  I think that time I was close to going into labor on my own though as I was only a day early so maybe that's why it was so much stronger.  They immediately pulled it and things started along on their own for awhile I got Pitocin the next morning and he was born about 2 hours after starting that.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:((((lots of hugs. it is so hard to loose a baby you already know and love))))  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

18 years ago next month, I chose to do a d&c instead of induction at 22 weeks.  It was hard to find a doctor who could safely do it at that stage, and we had to travel 3 hours to her, but it was important to me. My first son was a cesarean and I couldn't imagine my only memory of giving birth vaginally to be of losing our daughter.   I had a laminaria stick inserted one day, and went home. The laminaria slowly dilates the cervix  and then went back and had the medical procedure the next day. It wasn't an easy couple of  days, but it was over and I healed ok. Sorry you are having to make these tough decisions. 

I was induced with ds (before the cesarean) but it was with pitocin. so I have no experience there. 

I wouldn't use Cytotec since it hasn't been vetted to be safe for induction. That said, do what is best for you. I am so so sorry for your loss. When my son was stillborn at 33 weeks I was going to be induced but went into labor on the way there. With my rainbow baby I had my water broken and when nothing happened after 20 hours they induced me with pitocin which went fairly well

I prefer a foley catheter or cytotec to pitocin, for what it's worth.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

The size of the baby can make a difference in which induction makes the most sense. How far along were you?

Edited by Arctic Mama

My cytotec induction caused one massive contraction that would not end. My active labor was less than an hour. The pain was unbearable.

I was induced for borderline preeclampsia and I ended up having a placental abruption.

Inductions are awful. Cytotec is probably not a good option for me ever again.

But I'm so sorry that you're going through this. My heart hurts for you! Big hugs.

Facing an induction even in better circumstances is overwhelming but in your case...it would be so challenging.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've never been induced with cytotec (and read too much Ina May Gaskin to be comfortable with it), but my first was with the catheter followed by pitocin and my third was cervadil then pitocin. The first was faster, but I was overdue and I think he was ready. The cervadil and pitocin took almost 30 hours, but I was only 39 weeks and baby was small and not yet engaged.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Ultimately the decision is yours, so this is just my opinion.  If I were in your shoes, I would ask if ROM and maybe pitocin are an option before using cytotec. I would probably at least ask for clarification on why cytotec would be less invasive before I made a decision. That said, lots of people tolerate cytotec just fine.    

I am so so sorry for your loss.

My fourth was a Cytotec induction. Once labor started it was exactly the same as my third birth--3 hours and 45 minutes. So, quick, but similar in "style".

I as nervous about its reputation, too, but didn't want pitocin b/c I didn't want to stay in bed.

I'm so sorry your your loss.  I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you.  My prayers are with you. 

Many people do tolerate cyctotec well.  And there is a risk of hyperstimulation with any induction method.  However, what is unique to cyctotec is that, by the time hyperstimulation has begun, the medication has been absorbed and there is no way to remove it and there are very few tools to mitigate its effect.  (Cervadil can be removed.  An IV containing Pitocin can be turned off.)  The risks are not just to the baby, but to the mom.  Placental abruption, amniotic fluid embolism, uterine rupture (even without any previous surgery.)  Dosing is an issue.  The typical dose to start is 25 mg.  The medication comes in 100 mg pills. This means they have to cut the pill to get that quarter dose. Since the manufacturer does not want the financial liability for the off-label use, they have not created a pill that is scored for easy cutting.  As many people who have experience cutting pills know, pills can break unevenly, or even splinter.  This makes accurate dosing very difficult. 

No. They are different. 

Cervadil did nothing for me. 14 hours, laying on my back, waiting, for nothing.

I apologize then, I didn't realize.  I know I had Cervadil for my first son.  I'm not 100% on what they used the second time, it was something to soften the cervix.  Though after reading that last post I assume it was also Cervidil as it was removed when I started hypercontracting.

Edited by UCF612