Menu

POLL: What's the first school subject of your school day?

With what subject do you start your school day?  

1. 1. With what subject do you start your school day?

• Grammar
    • Handwriting
    • History
    • Language (Latin, Spanish, French, German, etc.)
    • Math
    • Reading
    • Religious instruction
    • Science
    • Spelling
    • Other (please post what it is)

We do history first - I read while we eat breakfast. If we're not doing history that day, I try to read something to them. After breakfast, we get dressed, then meet in the school room where we do Language Arts subjects first. If we have activities to go along with our history lesson, we do those last, after everything else is finished. Nice way to round out what we started the day with.

All three of my kids watch it, so that's the first subject of the official school day at about 9am. My oldest often gets a subject in before then, though. If we don't plan on art at 9, then it gets impossible for all three boys to coordinate their stopping points. This DVD works great because I can listen and watch while I organize some of their other subjects. Sometimes I just listen and watch because it's a great series.

They each grab whatever they want to start the day. I'm not even sure they stick to the same order each day. Eldest may do handwriting first one day, then math first the next. Yo may start with grammar one day, then math the next. I think Nugget almost always starts with math though.

So, my answer, "other". It varies from child to child, day to day. :D

We used to start with math, but now I'm having them do journaling first thing. It kinda settles them down and gives me a chance to get the math ready to teach (since I can't seem to do my prep work at night). Then we move on to the Math, but save the worksheets for later in the day. I have to split math up because there is a lot of resistance to it from my ds6

The current schedule has us starting with math. But we did phonics/reading instruction first yesterday, and flew right through it. It's usually a struggle, and I'm now thinking that's because she's tired. So I am considering starting with phonics first thing. If math then becomes a struggle (right now math is easy-peasy, but, again, maybe that's because it's the first thing we do), then maybe we will switch every other day which we start with.

We start with prayer, Bible memory verse and then a short Bible story. Then, we move on to Phonics. Since we're only doing Saxon K for math, we save it for last - it's mostly playing.

I voted 'other', as the first 'official' thing assigned to them is memory work. I create a daily, rotating memory page for each day where we review Scripture, poems, math facts, measurements, Latin vocab, etc. However, we do have a family devotion time during breakfast every day. I just don't count that as a part of our school day.

We practice violin first. One boy starts at 7:30 while everyone else finishes their breakfast and morning chores. Dd begins her independent work (French, Latin, spelling) at 8am. The other boy starts violin at 8:30. We meet downstairs for the subjects we do out loud together (Bible, memory, geography, etc.) at 9:30. Math starts after that.

It depends on the individual. For one of my kids, the first subject must be occupational/vision therapy exercises. My other kids plan their own school days. I encourage them to put the subjects that require the most concentration for them at the beginning of the day, and the subjects that are easier for them or that require less concentration after lunch. Generally, I'd be looking for math and writing to be done in the morning in elementary school or middle school.

We go swimming every second day or for an hours cycle the other days at about 6.30. It is great for us all to share this quality time with dh before his work and the day begins and everyone feels better all day. After that it is maths...

This includes either philosophy/values/character/ethics or, more recently, geography and election/political issues discussion. This takes anywhere from 20 min. to one hour, usually around 30 min. It is so great because it gets us thinking about things that are important to us, but it's not too brain intensive. It also helps us to get to know one another, and we snuggle on the couch while we do it. What could be better? :hurray:

Oh, one other thing. We start with the above at 8:30, but before that, everyone gets up at 6 and we all read for about 60-90 minutes. The kids have half an hour of required reading and one hour of free reading, or they switch if the required reading is starting to run behind. This helps us to wake up in a leisurely way. The whole family is together in the same room when we do this- the only time of the day when we are all together and it is quiet.