Menu

I talked a woman who is selling pre-cooked meals out of her house.

unsinkable

Now, I'm sure this is not legal but she is said she is only doing it for extended family and friends* who had been purchasing them from another place. The other place was a distance away from her and so her customers stopped purchasing there before she started.

She just did it a few times to help her family but then other people started asking.

I'd love to do this but I couldn't bc of the laws.

She said she bought $200 worth of food, cooked one day (60 individual meals) and profited nearly $300.

*so she isn't worried about breaking laws. Like her friends and family wouldn't complain. I'm not clear on why she isn't worried...

• Like 1

A way around this is to use the customer's kitchen. Then you become a personal chef.  I did this for a few families several years ago.  Of course that means you can't make a huge batch and sell to a bunch of customers, but it does allow you to fill their freezer with meals that you cook in their kitchen. 

(At least in our town it's legal to be a personal chef without any kitchen inspection- maybe other places have different rules)  I usually used their kitchen while they were gone to work our otherwise out of the house and it wasn't awkward at all. 

• Like 10

I wonder what getting proper approval would entail.

It would depend on the area. Here you cannot cook meals for others in you home for money. You can be a personal chef and cook in someone's home for them but never out of your own home. You can get your home licensed for baked goods but there are tons of rules.

Search Cottage Food Laws for your area and see what they allow.

• Like 3

I essentially do this here where I'm at.  I know a couple others who do similar things.  If I had the time, I could easily do the same thing every week.

Laws are being bent -- but I don't think she's breaking any.  She's probably not advertising a business, and one could say she's doing friends and family favors.  That they are asking her to make their family some food and compensating her for her time and effort.  

Just the same way where we're participating in a BBQ, and all of the friends and family participating chip in $$$ and pay us for the food.  We aren't a catering business.  We don't claim to be.  We also aren't advertising, etc.

The key is how the word "business" is defined, and selling to the "public."  

FWIW, there is a food-share site in LA similar to Uber.  

• Like 5

In VA, if it's general baked goods, candies, jams (things that aren't breeding grounds for bacteria), you can make them in a home kitchen.  We have a cottage food law which allows home bakers to make and sell in various ways.

To become a caterer, you *must* use a commercial kitchen, and that kitchen *cannot* be in your home.  I believe there is some grey area, as I think there can be one *at* your home, but it has to be separated from your home (separate entrance to the outside, not part of a family kitchen).  It would be inspected like any commercial kitchen.

• Like 1

Having a certified kitchen.  You need to meet health codes in your home kitchen.  My neighbor has one because she is a caterer and works from her home. It mostly involves having two sinks, and they have to be plumbed a specific way, so one wont backwash into the other, keeping fridges at specific temps, and having thermometers to monitor them, not having any animals that could be in the kitchen, so no cats or dogs sort of pet, having gloves etc to handle food.  She is an absolute stickler for food safety. If someone gets sick eating her food she loses her license and can get into big trouble. 

My neighbor is not wealthy and I can assure you she didn't have a lot of money to invest in a proper kitchen, so it can't be that difficult.  She does have 2 fridges and a chest freezer and she is a clean freak.  She is also an empty nester, so she can have things like 2 fridges in her house. 

OTOH, while my neighbor is not wealthy, she does support herself working a couple jobs a month. 

Your neighbor might also need a catering license. That does cost money, and I think you have to pass a health and safety exam.

In my town there are a couple places, like churches, that have certified kitchens and they rent them out to small businesses to use. A few bakers and other places have got their start renting space in those kitchens to get their product out before they had the capital to get their own place.

• Like 3

In many states there are cottage laws that allow for things like home baking for farmer's markets, etc. Depending on those, and the quantity, it might be very legal.

I know the cottage laws in my state and I know based on her menu that the cottage laws do not apply.

Edited to add: I've looked into it before.

I'd love for it (meal prep) to be legal. I'd start this weekend. :lol:

• Like 1

I had a Malaysian roommate in college and there was a woman who did something similar for the Malaysian students: you would call and in very hushed tones place an order the night prior, then the following morning there would be a knock at the door, you'd open the door just a crack, a traditional Malaysian meal in a styrofoam container would be pushed through, you'd hand over $5 and the person would leave. 

It was all very hush-hush, and no one ever spoke openly about those meals because we all knew it was technically illegal, but my roommate and her friend sure did look forward to eating well on the weekends!

• Like 4

Having a certified kitchen. You need to meet health codes in your home kitchen. My neighbor has one because she is a caterer and works from her home. It mostly involves having two sinks, and they have to be plumbed a specific way, so one wont backwash into the other, keeping fridges at specific temps, and having thermometers to monitor them, not having any animals that could be in the kitchen, so no cats or dogs sort of pet, having gloves etc to handle food. She is an absolute stickler for food safety. If someone gets sick eating her food she loses her license and can get into big trouble.

My neighbor is not wealthy and I can assure you she didn't have a lot of money to invest in a proper kitchen, so it can't be that difficult. She does have 2 fridges and a chest freezer and she is a clean freak. She is also an empty nester, so she can have things like 2 fridges in her house.

OTOH, while my neighbor is not wealthy, she does support herself working a couple jobs a month.

Your neighbor might also need a catering license. That does cost money, and I think you have to pass a health and safety exam.

In my town there are a couple places, like churches, that have certified kitchens and they rent them out to small businesses to use. A few bakers and other places have got their start renting space in those kitchens to get their product out before they had the capital to get their own place.

I agree with all this.

I'd look to rent a commercial kitchen if I wanted to do it.

I'd be so paranoid that people wouldn't handle the food safely, then get sick, then blame me.

• Like 2

I have wanted to do stuff like this for a long time. Unfortunately, PA requires (well, for those who want to be legal) that no kids are in the kitchen while cooking and no pets have kitchen access. Ever.

With our open floor plan, that's absolutely impossible.

I think you mentioned this once when I started a "what do you sell at farmer's market?" thread.

I know someone who did that for a while. She'd make an extra batch of her family's meals, and shed deliver them a couple of times a week to anther family, who paid her. It makes a ton of sense to me. It doesn't take me much more effort to cook for my family of seven than it did when we were a family of two or three, so I can't imagine that cooking for ten would be much harder than cooking for five or whatever. I think my friend basically made enough to cover her family's meals, so it was a small benefit for her for not much work, and for her friend, it was healthier and cheaper than eating out.

I really feel like this sort of thing should be allowable without a lot of hassle.

• Like 5

In my state, a person needs to register with the ag department and take a food safety training course before they can sell their food.

Go to www . forrager . com/laws  to see what the law is in your state.    (remove spaces when you enter it in your search box)  

• Like 1

I had a Malaysian roommate in college and there was a woman who did something similar for the Malaysian students: you would call and in very hushed tones place an order the night prior, then the following morning there would be a knock at the door, you'd open the door just a crack, a traditional Malaysian meal in a styrofoam container would be pushed through, you'd hand over $5 and the person would leave.

It was all very hush-hush, and no one ever spoke openly about those meals because we all knew it was technically illegal, but my roommate and her friend sure did look forward to eating well on the weekends!

Same thing happened in my college dorm!

Also, I used to work in an office of old midtown homes that had turned into small professional business spaces (lawyers, accountants, realtors and the like). The "Salad Lady" would make the block once a week. Her food was delicious! Thinking back, I bet she was a stay at home mom doing this while her kids were in school.

• Like 1

In Missouri, it's dependent upon each county healthy department. So, I'm not entirely sure of their requirements. There is a lady in my town, though, that sells the most amazing cakes and cookies out of her home. I can guarantee you that she's not doing it legally as she has a pet (even though he is gated off); but she stays booked via word of mouth. 

In Arkansas, it was similar to PA. No pet access at all, no kids in the kitchen - basically, you had to have a fully blocked off kitchen dedicated to just what you were doing. 

• Like 1

In Missouri, it's dependent upon each county healthy department. So, I'm not entirely sure of their requirements. There is a lady in my town, though, that sells the most amazing cakes and cookies out of her home. I can guarantee you that she's not doing it legally as she has a pet (even though he is gated off); but she stays booked via word of mouth.

In Arkansas, it was similar to PA. No pet access at all, no kids in the kitchen - basically, you had to have a fully blocked off kitchen dedicated to just what you were doing.

Back in the 1980s, my aunt knew a few women who had a specialty dessert who took orders and made them out of their homes.

I remember one was a cassata cake (a type of Italian cake) that she sold for $50! In the mid 1980s this was a lot of money for a cake!

• Like 1

I know someone who did that for a while. She'd make an extra batch of her family's meals, and shed deliver them a couple of times a week to anther family, who paid her. It makes a ton of sense to me. It doesn't take me much more effort to cook for my family of seven than it did when we were a family of two or three, so I can't imagine that cooking for ten would be much harder than cooking for five or whatever. I think my friend basically made enough to cover her family's meals, so it was a small benefit for her for not much work, and for her friend, it was healthier and cheaper than eating out.

I really feel like this sort of thing should be allowable without a lot of hassle.

I agree.

I essentially do this here where I'm at. I know a couple others who do similar things. If I had the time, I could easily do the same thing every week.

Laws are being bent -- but I don't think she's breaking any. She's probably not advertising a business, and one could say she's doing friends and family favors. That they are asking her to make their family some food and compensating her for her time and effort.

Just the same way where we're participating in a BBQ, and all of the friends and family participating chip in $$$ and pay us for the food. We aren't a catering business. We don't claim to be. We also aren't advertising, etc.

The key is how the word "business" is defined, and selling to the "public."

FWIW, there is a food-share site in LA similar to Uber.

But doesn't compensating someone for time and effort make it a business?

She was pretty clear that now she is doing it for the money. She did it at first to help out.

But doesn't compensating someone for time and effort make it a business?

She was pretty clear that now she is doing it for the money. She did it at first to help out.

I can depend upon the laws in the area in which you live.

Some places, because she's limited who she is cooking for and isn't open to the public, or soliciting business through advertising -- nope.

Other places may be more strict.

Is she in a "grey area?" -- most likely.  I know my comfort level would definitely depend upon how well I knew who I was cooking for.  If she starts advertising and actively growing the business, she'll need to watch out (I'd say she will have crossed a line).  But, if she keeps the pool limited to a small group of people she knows well, she's probably "safe."  But, she runs more risks by talking about it (especially how much she makes)

Here, I have a large number people who want to buy food from me on a regular basis.  I have no time for that.  I really limit it.  I do some stuff for my husband's office (for example, we'll be doing Sausage Gravy and Biscuits after Thanksgiving...those in his office who want the breakfast will hand my husband $8 each, and he'll deliver the crock pot of sausage gravy and hot biscuits at 0730.  It's all on-the-side and pretty hush-hush.)  I did turn this into a fundraiser for large-scale work, but we use a commercial kitchen for that (think 300-500 meals @ $10 each, and they pick up).

Once we get back state-side, I most likely would lean toward *not* doing things like this, unless I have my own commercial kitchen and did the personal chef (not private chef) route.  I am thinking about cooking lessons/menu planning, or hosting a freezer meal party for friends and families (essentially, we prep the food and everyone takes home stuff to fill their freezer).  I know I don't want to cater.  But, doing lunch once a month for my husband's office?  Sure.  Making meals for 10 families twice a month?  Yup.

• Like 2

I very well may have! :)

I dream a lot about having my own "summer kitchen" built so I can get approval to do pretty much anything I want, lol.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/478671-farmers-market-shoppers-and-sellers-what-are-some-unusual-or-unique-baked-goods-or-other-items-that-youve-seen/

I did find that you recommended a Breakfast Bread.

I swear you had mentioned specific rules and how you wanted to do it.

(I feel like such a loser...I wanted to sell stuff 2 years ago and still haven't done it. :-( )

I can depend upon the laws in the area in which you live.

Some places, because she's limited who she is cooking for and isn't open to the public, or soliciting business through advertising -- nope.

Other places may be more strict.

Is she in a "grey area?" -- most likely. I know my comfort level would definitely depend upon how well I knew who I was cooking for. If she starts advertising and actively growing the business, she'll need to watch out (I'd say she will have crossed a line). But, if she keeps the pool limited to a small group of people she knows well, she's probably "safe." But, she runs more risks by talking about it (especially how much she makes)

Here, I have a large number people who want to buy food from me on a regular basis. I have no time for that. I really limit it. I do some stuff for my husband's office (for example, we'll be doing Sausage Gravy and Biscuits after Thanksgiving...those in his office who want the breakfast will hand my husband $8 each, and he'll deliver the crock pot of sausage gravy and hot biscuits at 0730. It's all on-the-side and pretty hush-hush.) I did turn this into a fundraiser for large-scale work, but we use a commercial kitchen for that (think 300-500 meals @ $10 each, and they pick up).

Once we get back state-side, I most likely would lean toward *not* doing things like this, unless I have my own commercial kitchen and did the personal chef (not private chef) route. I am thinking about cooking lessons/menu planning, or hosting a freezer meal party for friends and families (essentially, we prep the food and everyone takes home stuff to fill their freezer). I know I don't want to cater. But, doing lunch once a month for my husband's office? Sure. Making meals for 10 families twice a month? Yup.

Great ideas!

The freezer meal businesses all closed here. I think they were too expensive for our low cost of living area.

I tell my DH I'd love to cater drug rep lunches and breakfasts. But they usually are last minute things with only 1 or 2 days notice. The rep will call and ask what people want to eat and they'll pick a restaurant...Greek, Italian, Subs/Pizza.

But DH said there used to be a rep who had a personal chef/caterer make food and that she was better than the vast majority of restaurants.

• Like 1

Community kitchens aren't generally well-advertised. You might very well have one in your city and not realize it.

You can look up your city on this: http://www.culinaryincubator.com/maps.php?state=VA

(however, we have on in our city and it's not showing up here, so this map might not be complete.)

Thank you!

There is a beautiful one about 400 miles from me. :lol:

But it was more reasonably priced than I thought!

Around here, there are some on the sly restaurants, especially in the summer.  You pretty much have to find out by word of mouth where to show up, and when, which usually means someone's back yard.  Sometimes they have tables and people sit to eat, and sometimes it is take-away.

• Like 2

I also know some people who rent space from restaurants.  I know a lady who makes cheesecakes.  She rents space from a small pizza/italian restaurant.  She cooks early in the morning before they are open.  And it gives them some revenue for a time period when they wouldn't normally get anything.

• Like 4

I had a friend who lived near a high school whose family was struggling so she did a bake sale every day after school and the kids could pick up a brownie or muffin or whatever on the way home.  Once word got out among the kids and she started really being able to actually make a few extra $$ for grocery money the city shut her down and (I think) she was lucky not to get fined heavily.  She had several little kids, so she wasn't able to go out of the home to cook stuff.  Plus her margin was so small that a rental fee would kind of make the trouble not really worth it in the end, depending on how much it was.

But I guess we're all safer for it, so there's that.

• Like 3

Now, I'm sure this is not legal but she is said she is only doing it for extended family and friends* who had been purchasing them from another place. The other place was a distance away from her and so her customers stopped purchasing there before she started.

She just did it a few times to help her family but then other people started asking.

She said she bought $200 worth of food, cooked one day (60 individual meals) and profited nearly $300.

*so she isn't worried about breaking laws. Like her friends and family wouldn't complain. I'm not clear on why she isn't worried...

She sells 60 meals for $500?  

What kinds of things is she selling?

• Like 1

Of course she isn't worried if she is only doing it for friends and family. Why would they complain? And, if they did, what would be the consequence? Surely this isn't a major crime. Lord knows law enforcement has better things to worry about. Friends and family break little laws like this all the time and don't worry about it. I'm all for staying out of legal trouble, but for friends and family, I certainly wouldn't consider a few hundred dollars here or there of unbooked income a concern. Besides, if she does it as a cash only business, what evidence would anyone have? 

I'd suggest that if you'd like to do this, and have friends and family who would be interested, go for it and don't sweat it. If you are successful enough to be profiting many thousands/year, then perhaps consider looking into making it legal. 

• Like 2

I had a friend who lived near a high school whose family was struggling so she did a bake sale every day after school and the kids could pick up a brownie or muffin or whatever on the way home.  Once word got out among the kids and she started really being able to actually make a few extra $$ for grocery money the city shut her down and (I think) she was lucky not to get fined heavily.  She had several little kids, so she wasn't able to go out of the home to cook stuff.  Plus her margin was so small that a rental fee would kind of make the trouble not really worth it in the end, depending on how much it was.

Today's cottage laws in most states would allow the baking and selling (meeting conditions), but zoning regulations might not.  "Potentially Hazardous Foods" or foods with meat in them, fall under different regulations.  Depending upon where you live, you can sell all manners of breads & baked goods, jams/jellies, salsas, sauces, spice mixes, home-canned items (certain kinds, usually high sugar or high acid...like pickles/kraut), and candies.  

I know in Stafford County, I do not need a business license to operate any home business -- but zoning restrictions could limit certain activities or the number of cars in and out, and things like that. 

• Like 1

I remember when a friend told me about a family-run Mexican restaurant where the owner's mother didn't actually work in the restaurant but made tamales for the restaurant from her home kitchen.  At the time I wondered if this is ok with the health department but I never asked.

(I'm not trying to pick on Mexican restaurants, but right now all the Chipotle locations in our state are closed due to an e coli outbreak, and I do wonder why anyone would think that they should be able to get away with breaking the laws that are in place for public safety!)

• Like 1

Meals we serve that run $10:

Chick-fil-A Meal (sandwich or 8 nuggets, fries, drink, and homemade dessert)*We only do this one on-site at special community events, games or large lunch*

Beef & Broccoli (Beef & Broccoli, rice, veggie spring roll, drink, homemade dessert)

General Tso's or Sweet & Sour Chicken (rice, veggie spring roll, drink, homemade dessert)

Quiche Lorraine (individual quiche, roasted green beans or mixed green salad, drink, homemade pastry)  *I don't do this one for parties larger than 20*

Large Sandwich Meal (Grilled Chicken Caesar/Mediterranian Chicken/Spicy Italian Wrap or an Asiago-Roast Beef, with homemade Asiago Ciabatta bread, chips, drink, homemade dessert)

Enchiladas (Chicken or Veggie Enchiladas, mixed green salad, chips/guacamole/salsa, homemade dessert)

For most of these, our costs run around $5 a meal.  We get to use the kitchen free.

Meals we serve that run a bit less:

Pulled Pork (sandwich, chips, drink, dessert -- if I make a homemade "Hawaiian" roll, this bumps the price up to $10)

Breakfast Meal (2 Breakfast Burritos/Egg McMuffin/Bacon-Egg-Cheese Biscuit, with Fresh Fruit Salad w/ vanilla yogurt topping, water)

Empanadas (Beef/Bean Empanadas, Mixed green salad, drink)

Lumpia (8 Lumpia, Rice, Sweet Red Chili dipping sauce, Homemade dessert)

Spaghetti (mixed green salad, drink, homemade dessert)

When we do my cinnamon rolls and coffee, it is not unusual to get $5 for an 8oz coffee and one cinnamon roll.  But, I have to make 200 of them in individual containers...so there is that ;)  We sell out in about 90 minutes.

On base, the fast food is awful.  The cheapest meal you can get is pizza ($7, drink for $1.50 --- so you aren't walking out for less than that).  It routinely takes 15-20 minutes to prepare an omelette.  Our $8 meal is a bargain by comparison.  But, the bar for the meals is low -- and these are usually fundraisers, too.  Good food, supporting kids' activities = everyone wins!

• Like 1

I said *nearly* $300 in profit. :D

Meals are $8 so technically she sold $480.

She makes simple stuff...chicken, quinoa and veggies, pulled pork or chili with sweet potatoes, breakfasts of "egg muffins" sausage and fruit.

HTH

• Like 1

I remember when a friend told me about a family-run Mexican restaurant where the owner's mother didn't actually work in the restaurant but made tamales for the restaurant from her home kitchen.  At the time I wondered if this is ok with the health department but I never asked.

(I'm not trying to pick on Mexican restaurants, but right now all the Chipotle locations in our state are closed due to an e coli outbreak, and I do wonder why anyone would think that they should be able to get away with breaking the laws that are in place for public safety!)

That is most likely a clear violation.  Although some cottage laws do allow home kitchens to be used for baked goods, tamales would not be included in that.  

It's very possible, that an ingredient Chipotle received from a supplier was contaminated, and has nothing to do with the restaurant themselves.  I'd say this is more true since multiple locations are involved.

Home kitchens, if properly cleaned and sanitized, can be safe for pretty much any food preparation -- the biggest issues with food is proper storage (and handling) procedures. Most contamination comes from not keeping food stored properly, or not washing hands.  It has zero to do with the actual kitchen location.

The major reasons "commercial kitchens" are required for catering, is because the kitchens are subject to regular inspections -- but they aren't necessarily "better" than some home kitchens I've used.  Stainless steel is the countertop material of choice, because it doesn't breed bacteria and is not porous.  However, if that sucker isn't wiped down properly between various preparations for raw meat and veg...someone is going to get sick.

• Like 1

Of course she isn't worried if she is only doing it for friends and family. Why would they complain? And, if they did, what would be the consequence? Surely this isn't a major crime. Lord knows law enforcement has better things to worry about. Friends and family break little laws like this all the time and don't worry about it. I'm all for staying out of legal trouble, but for friends and family, I certainly wouldn't consider a few hundred dollars here or there of unbooked income a concern. Besides, if she does it as a cash only business, what evidence would anyone have?

I'd suggest that if you'd like to do this, and have friends and family who would be interested, go for it and don't sweat it. If you are successful enough to be profiting many thousands/year, then perhaps consider looking into making it legal.

I would hope they wouldn't complain but I'm a "glass half full...of poison" kind of person. I can imagine the Worst Case Scenario for given situations. :lol:

I'm fine with her doing it the way she is.

But I'd worry too much...I don't have a base of family and friends who'd need this service. I'd have to branch out farther.

• Like 1

I have a friend who does this.  She uses a senior community center's kitchen.  The kitchen is already certified.  She has access one or two days a week.  The senior center is not busy every day, so it is a win for both of them.  Her rent for the space is very minimal - I'm not sure the exact amount.  I could ask. 

She cooks Thai food.  Monday is her big day. She sends out an email to her contacts to let them know what she is cooking, and if you are interested, you reply to the email letting her know if you want a small or large dinner.  And you pick up your dinner on your way home from work.  She does one main dish a week, rotating through about 6 different dishes.  I will copy and paste one of her emails below.  She also offers special items occasionally, like pies at Thanksgiving time.  She also caters for parties and is considering offering dine in occasionally at the center. She does a lot of bartering for her meals, too (ie a portion of the price of braces for her child in exchange for a large holiday dinner party.)

She told me that she makes (substantially) more that one day a week than she does at her day job (full time teacher's aid) all week.  I think it is a rather brilliant business plan.  She was considering converting her basement kitchenette into a registered kitchen, but her neighborhood was not conveniently located and would not have appreciated lots of people coming to pick up meals.  She did not want to have to do delivery.  She approached a few different centers in town and found the best deal.  She has her own cupboard and a fridge and freezer that stay in the center, and are locked. 

Here is one of her emails -- personal details deleted:

I will be cooking on Mon 6/30:

(___ To-Go will now be using chicken meat from ___ that is from hormone-free and free-range chickens)

*Pad Thai* (Gluten-Free)
(rice noodles, eggs, tamarind sauce, sugar, red onion, garlic, fish sauce, cilantro, green onions, carrots, bean sprouts, crushed peanuts, lime wedge, fresh chili condiment)
*not spicy (chili served on the side)

Full order (feeds 6-8)
Vegetarian $50
with Chicken $55
with Shrimp $60

1/2 order (feeds 3-5)
Vegetarian $30
with Chicken $35
with Shrimp $40

*add small dried shrimp (krill) to any order for no extra charge

Fresh vegetables (cilantro, green onions, shredded carrots, bean sprouts) are served on the side to be mixed together just before eating. Crushed peanuts, lime wedge and fresh Thai chili condiment are also served on the side.

To order, simply respond to this e-mail. Pick-up is at the *** Senior Citizens Center from 5-7:30 pm. 
Please include in your response the time you plan to pick it up.
I will do my best to have it ready by the time you request. If not, I will let you know.
All prices include tax. Cash or check only.

Orders will be honored on a first come/first serve basis. I will respond to your e-mail to let you know the status of your order.

Thank you for your business.

• Like 3

I have a friend who does this. She uses a senior community center's kitchen. The kitchen is already certified. She has access one or two days a week. The senior center is not busy every day, so it is a win for both of them. Her rent for the space is very minimal - I'm not sure the exact amount. I could ask.

She cooks Thai food. Monday is her big day. She sends out an email to her contacts to let them know what she is cooking, and if you are interested, you reply to the email letting her know if you want a small or large dinner. And you pick up your dinner on your way home from work. She does one main dish a week, rotating through about 6 different dishes. I will copy and paste one of her emails below. She also offers special items occasionally, like pies at Thanksgiving time. She also caters for parties and is considering offering dine in occasionally at the center. She does a lot of bartering for her meals, too (ie a portion of the price of braces for her child in exchange for a large holiday dinner party.)

She told me that she makes (substantially) more that one day a week than she does at her day job (full time teacher's aid) all week. I think it is a rather brilliant business plan. She was considering converting her basement kitchenette into a registered kitchen, but her neighborhood was not conveniently located and would not have appreciated lots of people coming to pick up meals. She did not want to have to do delivery. She approached a few different centers in town and found the best deal. She has her own cupboard and a fridge and freezer that stay in the center, and are locked.

Here is one of her emails -- personal details deleted:

I will be cooking on Mon 6/30:

(___ To-Go will now be using chicken meat from ___ that is from hormone-free and free-range chickens)

*Pad Thai* (Gluten-Free)

(rice noodles, eggs, tamarind sauce, sugar, red onion, garlic, fish sauce, cilantro, green onions, carrots, bean sprouts, crushed peanuts, lime wedge, fresh chili condiment)

*not spicy (chili served on the side)

Full order (feeds 6-8)

Vegetarian $50

with Chicken $55

with Shrimp $60

1/2 order (feeds 3-5)

Vegetarian $30

with Chicken $35

with Shrimp $40

*add small dried shrimp (krill) to any order for no extra charge

Fresh vegetables (cilantro, green onions, shredded carrots, bean sprouts) are served on the side to be mixed together just before eating. Crushed peanuts, lime wedge and fresh Thai chili condiment are also served on the side.

To order, simply respond to this e-mail. Pick-up is at the *** Senior Citizens Center from 5-7:30 pm.

Please include in your response the time you plan to pick it up.

I will do my best to have it ready by the time you request. If not, I will let you know.

All prices include tax. Cash or check only.

Orders will be honored on a first come/first serve basis. I will respond to your e-mail to let you know the status of your order.

Thank you for your business.

That's awesome, Wendy!

Good for her!

I'd love to try her food.

• Like 1

Community kitchens aren't generally well-advertised. You might very well have one in your city and not realize it. 

You can look up your city on this: http://www.culinaryincubator.com/maps.php?state=VA

(however, we have on in our city and it's not showing up here, so this map might not be complete.)

Hmm... The nearest one is an hour or more away.  But it's pretty close to my co-op.  Which made me realize the church my co-op rents has two commercial kitchens and lets us use them.  Which makes me wonder if they rent them as a stand-alone option.  Which is making me think all sorts of things!

• Like 2

In many states there are cottage laws that allow for things like home baking for farmer's markets, etc. Depending on those, and the quantity, it might be very legal.

Yes, and often in those cases, the cottage industry kitchen doesn't have to meet the same requirements as a restaurant kitchen. You still have to file the proper paperwork though. It doesn't sound like this woman is doing that 

• Like 1

Meals we serve that run $10:

Chick-fil-A Meal (sandwich or 8 nuggets, fries, drink, and homemade dessert)*We only do this one on-site at special community events, games or large lunch*

Beef & Broccoli (Beef & Broccoli, rice, veggie spring roll, drink, homemade dessert)

General Tso's or Sweet & Sour Chicken (rice, veggie spring roll, drink, homemade dessert)

Quiche Lorraine (individual quiche, roasted green beans or mixed green salad, drink, homemade pastry)  *I don't do this one for parties larger than 20*

Large Sandwich Meal (Grilled Chicken Caesar/Mediterranian Chicken/Spicy Italian Wrap or an Asiago-Roast Beef, with homemade Asiago Ciabatta bread, chips, drink, homemade dessert)

Enchiladas (Chicken or Veggie Enchiladas, mixed green salad, chips/guacamole/salsa, homemade dessert)

For most of these, our costs run around $5 a meal.  We get to use the kitchen free.

Meals we serve that run a bit less:

Pulled Pork (sandwich, chips, drink, dessert -- if I make a homemade "Hawaiian" roll, this bumps the price up to $10)

Breakfast Meal (2 Breakfast Burritos/Egg McMuffin/Bacon-Egg-Cheese Biscuit, with Fresh Fruit Salad w/ vanilla yogurt topping, water)

Empanadas (Beef/Bean Empanadas, Mixed green salad, drink)

Lumpia (8 Lumpia, Rice, Sweet Red Chili dipping sauce, Homemade dessert)

Spaghetti (mixed green salad, drink, homemade dessert)

When we do my cinnamon rolls and coffee, it is not unusual to get $5 for an 8oz coffee and one cinnamon roll.  But, I have to make 200 of them in individual containers...so there is that ;)  We sell out in about 90 minutes.

On base, the fast food is awful.  The cheapest meal you can get is pizza ($7, drink for $1.50 --- so you aren't walking out for less than that).  It routinely takes 15-20 minutes to prepare an omelette.  Our $8 meal is a bargain by comparison.  But, the bar for the meals is low -- and these are usually fundraisers, too.  Good food, supporting kids' activities = everyone wins!

I honestly was just asking.  I would love to make 60 meals for $200!  I just need some help in planning!  I am not shocked at $8-$10 per tray as that is what my friend pays regularly.  I am just shocked she can make it for $3-$4

• Like 1

I honestly was just asking. I would love to make 60 meals for $200! I just need some help in planning! I am not shocked at $8-$10 per tray as that is what my friend pays regularly. I am just shocked she can make it for $3-$4

Oh, I get it.

Here, regular chicken breasts (not organic) are $1.99/lb if you buy a family pack. I think that helps.

They're individual meals, too.

And I think her servings aren't huge. They look like bigger-sized frozen dinners or the kind of meals that grocery stores serve. KWIM? Wegman's has dinners that are a main and 2 sides that start at $6. The sides are about 1/2 cup if it is a starch and 1 cup if it's a veggie. The main is probably 4 or 5 ounces. I think that is about the size she makes.

• Like 1

I honestly was just asking. I would love to make 60 meals for $200! I just need some help in planning! I am not shocked at $8-$10 per tray as that is what my friend pays regularly. I am just shocked she can make it for $3-$4

This is why I do once a month cooking. We eat very well for very little. My meals aren't cooked before freezing so everything is cooked fresh and we have lots of salads and fresh produce so my cooking doesn't seem out of the ordinary. It's so much easier.

• Like 3