Menu

farmer's market shoppers and sellers -- what are some unusual or unique baked goods (or other items) that you've seen?

unsinkable

One of my favorite specialty breads is Red, White and Blueberry from Great Harvest Bread. It is a loaf with either cranberries or cherries, white chocolate chips and blueberries. It is quite yummy and if I saw it at a Farmers Market, I would snatch it up.

For the unusual - smoked salmon bagels. The salmon was baked into the bagel. They also had salmon donuts, but those were not veyr good.

Amazingly yummy - raspberry lime muffins, red pepper and cheese bread, pretzel bites (pretzel dough made up into little bite-sized nibbles)

I like regular breads, but with wonderful ingredients, preferably local. For example, we have a local (well, 1 1/2 hrs away) flour mill and I love to use their flour. Local eggs, non homogenized milk, European style butter, anything like that.

For unusual breads, you could try American classics, like Anadama bread, with a story that you could put in a label.

The King Arthur website has excellent recipes:

http://www.kingarthu...m/recipes/bread

KA sells a white whole wheat flour -- best of both worlds. I was looking through the catalogue and saw dog treat bags; a friend of mine once baked organic-flour dog treats for a fair and they sold very well -- the price for a couple of 'bones' was low enough that almost everyone with a dog picked some up.

Baklava!

And, my niece raises funds for Haitian relief by making stationery cards from her photos, and bookmarks. She's raised so much that the Roald Dahl foundation invited her and her mom to a weekend in Boston! All thru the farmer's market. (She's 11 and homeschooled, BTW.) So you could do some cards.

She also earned an American Girl doll by playing her violin for tips there. Quite the entreprenuer!

In my FIL's town there's a small booth run by a French nun that sells pain au chocolat, pain aux raisins, croissants, palmier, Jesuite, the French version of apple turnovers, and brioche. Yum. I can't wait to go back.

At the Madison farmer's market my father goes for GF or diabetic/low sugar pastries. He gets these great scones and eats them through the first few days of the week.

We have a healthy Hmong population so we have an interesting type of eggroll that sells here. Its not quite the generic American/Chinese eggroll.

Chocolate bread. Like a regular yeast bread, but with cocoa powder in it. Wasn't sweet at all (or very little). Made amazing French toast!

Check the regulations at your market. Due to health codes where I live, anything prepared for sale at the market has to be prepared in a commercial kitchen by those with valid food handler licenses.

Thanks again!

As to the regs, This is what we can make at home and sell our state:

Bakery products, i.e., bread, rolls, cookies, cakes, brownies, fudge, and double-crust fruit pies for wholesale marketing or retail agricultural venues such as farms, farm stands, farmers markets, green markets, craft fairs and flea markets.

Traditional jams, jellies, and marmalades made with high acid/low pH fruits.

Repacking/blending dried spices or herbs.

Snack items such as popcorn, caramel corn and peanut brittle.

Candy (excluding chocolate) – tempering chocolate or candy melts for molding or dipping is not allowed.