Menu

Help me with Luggage and Flying please

Heatherwith4

The 5 of us are going to Disney World in November, and we will be flying. We will be there 6 nights. The kids and I have never flown before, and DH hasn't flown since pre 9/11. (Just to give you an idea of how much we don't know what we are doing.) :)

I am looking for carry on bags for everyone, and we are trying to keep down the number of checked bags. I would love to just have 1-2 checked bags, if possible.

Any advice or product links are appreciated! We don't really have any luggage appropriate for air travel right now.

I would get everyone a standard carry on sized rolling bag.  We travel from Florida to PA for a week every Christmas and everyone can get enough clothes in there without having to check luggage.

We have a variety of types and price points here (mostly inexpensive no names) but this is the type of thing I mean:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-19-Rolling-Carry-On-or-School-Backpack-Polyester-Luggage-Bookbag-Trolley-/111000122070

Also, it is still pretty warm in Florida in November. I would think the majority of the clothes you pack will be less bulky summer stuff.

• Like 2

We usually travel with just a duffle bag each- a regular old duffle bag with a strap so I can sling it on my shoulder, and handles for when I just want to hold it.  I can easily get 9 days' worth of stuff in there, including toiletries.  But I carry the minimum. (I don't take a blow dryer because there's usually one where I go). 

I'd probably only check a bag if I wanted to bring snacks for the week with me (and when they're eaten, it leaves room for souvenirs).

We have worked really hard to train ourselves to bring only what we really need.  I need enough undies and socks, but I don't need a different pair of shorts for every day.  I'd bring one hoodie for each person, and that's all. Stuff like that. 

Have fun!!!!

• Like 3

The five of us just went to Europe for 8 days with zero checked baggage. :)

We each had a small backpack and small duffel bag from Eddie Bauer. We just packed stuff that coordinated well (neutrals, fairly plain) and wore our jackets and heaviest shoes on the flight over. It was an overnight so it was nice to have a couple of layers on anyway.

Bon Voyage!! Disney is so much fun.

• Like 5

Another person who believes in traveling light!  I fly regularly using a small rollaboard and packing cubes from Eagle Creek.  You can roll knit shirts and really compress them this way.

I think shoes are the problem when trying to travel light.  Since you'll be on your feet a lot at Disney, I would avoid anything fancy.  Wear your walking shoes on the plane, pack a pair of sandals and a pair of water shoes if you think you'll need them.

Toiletries:  read the TSA rules since you haven't flown in a while.

Remember to carry empty water bottles and then fill them after you are cleared by TSA.

Don't forget to have some activity items for your kids for the plane.

• Like 5

Much will depend on your clothing needs. For us, Disneyworl in November is probably shorts and shirts with one sweatshirt along that never gets used. I would probably have planned one small rolling case for the 10&8yos to share, 5yos clothes would share a second one with me and DH would put his stuff in a slightly larger checked bag along with my extra pair of tennis shoes. DH would check his bag so he could carry the 5yo thru airports if we were in a hurry. Give each kid a small backpack they carry themselves on the plane with books and blankets. I carry a small backpack onboard with emergency change of clothes, tooth brushes and hand wipes.

We have used American Tourister cases for years. I like the ones with skateboard style wheels and the handle inside the suitcase (not stuck to the outside). The most important thing is that if you buy black bags, put something on the handle to make them recognizable because all black bags look alike at baggage claim.

• Like 4

depending on the cost of any checked bags you need to bring, it sometimes makes sense to ship what would be checked ahead of time.  

But, lots of travelling has me convinced it is better to limit the stuff you bring.  Unless it was a business, scuba or ski trip, I would limit each person to one normal sized backpack.  Pack travel sized bottles of woolite, and every couple of days do a quick hand wash of what needs to be washed in the sink, and put the clothes on towels around the room to dry.  

• Like 1

Everyone takes their own small carry on backpack. That should more than sufficient for just a few days. I took a totebag only to Europe for 3 weeks (in cold weather at that) and still brought twice what I needed. DS flew to Florida by himself last winter/spring with only a very small backpack and it was plenty.

• Like 1

Read on the website the current rules for the airline you are using. You want everyone to be able to manage what they carry on. When my dc were young they had smaller suitcases You know, the little rolling Scooby Doo one. One suitcase and a backpack or messenger bag per person. If you want to bring more check one bigger suitcase for misc. stuff. Be sure to weigh and measure all bags. They generally check and will charge you a lot if you are over weight. Measure including wheels, handles etc. Other people pack everyones things together.

First you go through the security line. It will tell you about this also on the web site. Have a quart size baggie with fluids, lotions, toothpaste that you can get to easily to put on the tray to go through the scanner. Have an adult at each end of your family to help keep track of your stuff as it goes through. 

Once you check in at the gate if there is too much carry on luggage for the whole flight they may say you have to gate check your carry on. This would mean carry on suitcase not your purse/backpacks with plane entertainment and snacks. They take your suitcase as you enter the plane and put it back out for you as you exit.

Packing into zip locks bags is great. Easy to find socks and unders. Some people put an outfit together for a child in a bag. Shirt, shorts, socks, unders all ready to go.

I've taken to buying water after we go through security but you could fill up your own bottles from a fountain or sink.  You can ask for more drinks on the plane but it's good to have a bottle of your own. You never know when you will be sitting on the runway or whatever and the flight attendants can not serve you. Granola bars traveled well for us when the kids were younger.

Be sure you pick seats online as soon as they are available . I would get there plenty early to be sure you are seated together. Sometimes things change.

Flying is totally about developing character and having patience. It will be worth it. Have a great time!

• Like 1

Triple check the size of any luggage you buy. The airlines are cracking down on luggage that is brought on plane. Twice they made me prove that my luggage fits into this sizing thing they have before boarding.

If flight is crowded they usually offer to let you check carry on luggage for free at the gate.

• Like 1

Roll your clothes (don't fold!). It saves a TON of space. Look on Pinterest - there are tons of great packing ideas there, as well as travel wardrobes, etc. Leave everything possible at home - we travel a lot and never take more than /absolutely/ necessary. Pants can be worn a couple/three times, one pj bottom is enough (or just shower at night and have the kids sleep in clean stuff for the morning - we never carry pjs), etc. We generally take 1 top/unders/socks per day and then reuse bottoms if we're not planning on laundry. One pair of shoes per person (worn on the plane) is plenty. Check the weather - one warm top is usually all you need (and again, if it's a sweatshirt, I'd wear it to travel as planes can be COLD). If you'll need more than look to layer - a sweatshirt with a rain resistant windbreaker, for example. If rain is likely pack disposable ponchos from your local Walmart (MUCH cheaper). One shampoo is enough for all (and doubles as shower gel and laundry soap in a pinch), one toothpaste, etc.  I MUCH prefer to travel with everything checked and just a light bag to carry than haul everything around and be miserable. 

For on the plane - I find that minimal is better. A small backpack per kid with a book, snacks, empty water bottle, etc. With little ones, I always found less is more or you'll be the Amazing Toy Rotating Mom for the whole flight. Flying itself is interesting and engaging to kids and shutting that out with devices is a bummer. 

For security, just commit and get there really early. Our local tiny airport I get there an hour ahead, for big spots (I'm headed to Atlanta soon), I'll plan on 90 minutes for a 7:00 am flight (for check in and security), or at least 2 hours for a mid day/afternoon flight. That's not parking and hauling stuff time - just curb and to the gate time. I'd rather wait at the gate for an hour than stress out in traffic. Have a bag with all the liquids ready. It's so much easier. Kids in security are simple - so don't worry about them. If they packed their own bags make sure they're clean (no full water bottles, pocketknife, etc.).

I always carry a couple collapsible totes in my bags. It's a nice way to bring home the goods or have something to carry lunch in once you're there. 

I think that's all I have. Have a fun trip!!!!

• Like 1

Six nights is doable in a carry on, unless you have extraordinary circumstances, I don't think you will need to check luggage. 

Since you do not travel frequently, I don't think it's necessary to make a large $ investment in luggage. Target has some decent pieces that will work for you - no need to spend on the more durable brands/features. Those are for people like my husband, who travels about 40% of the time right now. Make sure each person can manage their own suitcase - even the little ones, but get the largest piece they can manage. You might have to help your youngest a bit, but your eight year old can certainly manage his own. Choose pieces with wheels and a handle. A piece like this would be fine for the kids (it comes in a variety of colors) and something like this for you and your husband.  Be cautious about choosing themed luggage as it will last for years. My son would have loved a Buzz Lightyear suitcase when we purchased his when he was about seven or eight years old, but he's eighteen now and still using the same piece of luggage. I doubt he would be still be willing to use it if it had Buzz on it! Do not pack luggage so heavily that you or your husband cannot lift it over your head with two hands (one on the handle and one to support the body) or you will not be able to get it into the overhead bin. Hard sided suitcases are back in fashion, and if you are checking fragile items, it might be a good choice, but I don't think it's a good choice for carry on suitcases because they have no give. I also think they pop open then they are handled at a higher rate than a zipper break. 

If you choose to check luggage, be aware that you may be waiting in baggage claim for 30-60 minutes for the baggage to be unloaded. Be sure to use a TSA approved lock so that they can open it to search it if needed. You will not be present if your checked luggage is searched unless there is a problem. If there is a problem, they will find you at the gate. If you are staying on a Disney property, I think you can check it through so that the Magic Kingdom Express will get it for you, but I am not sure, so please verify that. 

All liquids and gels must be in 3 oz containers or smaller and must be in a quart sized zipper bag. Each person is allowed one quart sized zipper bag. If you are staying in a hotel, you do not need to bring shampoo or soap unless someone has sensitive skin. You likely also will not need a hair dryer, but check your hotel amenities to be sure. Put this zip lock back in the outer pocket of the suitcase so that it can be removed easily. 

When you go through security, your children will not need a photo id because of their ages. They will be asked for their name and perhaps asked to point to their mom or dad (this is to try to ascertain they are actually flying with their parent and that it's not an abduction). You will need your photo ID and the boarding passes. It is fine if one person has all of the kids'  boarding pass, although you might split them up between you and your husband.  You and your husband will need to each present your own boarding pass and photo ID. You will not need your ID after TSA checks it at the beginning of the security line, so  put it and your boarding passes away as you go through security. 

After this, you will approach the area with the conveyor belts. There will be a stack of grey bins - one bin per person.  Place the following items in the bin: shoes, sweaters/jackets (they must be removed), belts, all items in pockets and the quart bag with liquids. Remember your goal is to go through the metal detector once, so if it might beep, either don't wear it or take it off and put it in the bin. Think about decorative buttons on clothing and things like that - metal ones might beep. Generally, buttons on jeans don't beep.  Shoes must be removed - so make sure everyone is wearing shoes they can manage - slip ons are easiest, but that isn't always possible. The bin goes on the conveyor belt to go through the x ray machine. Please stay with your bin to push it onto the conveyor belt so that you don't hold up the line.  After this, everyone has to go through the metal detector independently. Have either you or your husband go first and the other go last so that there is an adult on each side of the metal detector so little ones aren't alone.

If someone sets off the metal detector, be aware that you will be able to talk to that person, but not to touch them. They will either be sent directly back through the detector, wanded or patted down, or all three. It doesn't happen the vast majority of the time, so don't worry about it. The TSA agent will talk everyone though the process. I've never seen a bad interaction with TSA and neither has my husband. If you are wanded, be aware that your bra clasp will set off the detector. They know this and will not say a thing about it - it will not be an issue. They are really good with kids, again, neither of us have seen a bad interaction. 

If something in a bin cannot be seen clearly on the X-ray or if something looks suspicious, they will ask who the item belongs to, then that person goes to a separate station with the TSA agent to have that item searched. Again, stay with the agent and if it's a child's item, you will be allowed to go with your child. Do not touch the item until the TSA has cleared it. 

Once you have made it through the metal detector, you bin will be come up after it has been through the X-ray machine. In your case, I would pick up the bins and walk to the seating area to have everyone put their shoes back on and get their stuff. That way you won't clog up the line. There will be a place to stack the bin once you have emptied it. 

From this point, you are free to go to your gate. Depending on the airport, there will be shops, bathrooms and restaurants along the concourse. Have everyone go to the bathroom before you get on the plane. It's just easer with kids. It doesn't rule out needing to go on the flight, of course, but it might keep your trips down the aisle to a minimum. When you get to your gate, please wait for your group to be called for boarding. Your group number will be printed on your boarding pass. If there aren't a lot of children in the waiting area, they may call for those traveling with small children to board after "those needing assistance." However, flights to Orlando are often packed full of children and they usually don't do a separate boarding call for them or they restrict it to those with "infants in arms." When you board, you will have to present your boarding pass again. It is fine if adults have the kids' passes. You do not have to present ID. 

When you walk down the bridge/tunnel to the plane, it might get backed up, so be prepared to wait. If it is a large plane, ask the attendant which aisle to walk down so that you don't have to cross over the center seats. One will be at the door of the plane for this purpose. You can roll your bag down the aisle if you are careful, but most people put their pull handles down and carry them by the regular handle. 

I hope this info helps! 

• Like 11

As others said: 6 days do not require checked luggage.

Traveling with just carry-on is way less hassle. Everything is faster, you can check-in from home without standing in line for checking luggage, don't have to wait at the baggage claim upon arrival - and I can't count the number of times my checked bags did not arrive on my flight.

• Like 4

Each of my boys carry a laptop backpack. That is enough for a tablet with charging cable, 5 or more rolled up t-shirts, 2 jeans, underpants in the main compartment. Empty waterbottle goes into the side bottle holder of backpack. When we reach the hotel, kids just dump the clothes out and use the backpack at the amusement parks.

ETA:

We try not to check bags as they do get lost rare as it may be. Hubby would dump two foldable duffle bags for dirty laundry and souvenirs in his backpack.

• Like 1

I'm a checked bag kind of gal. :) I fly about 6 times per year. 

Which airline are you flying? Most charge for checked bags but Southwest has 2 bags checked free per person. You would also be charged an overweight fee if your bag is over 50lbs. so make sure you don't have too much packed in there. 

My family would be able to do a 6 night trip with one checked bag. We might consider checking one suitcase with clothes and one duffel type bag with toiletries and extra shoes. 

I carry one tote bag and my purse onto the plane.

Make sure you are accounting for bringing home any souvenirs. You can only have two carry on items per person: one larger item and one small, personal item. You don't want to get stuck with goodies you can't carry in the minimal bags you brought. We have traveled for speech and debate tournaments and just ship trophies home. You could to the same with souvenirs. 

• Like 2

I'm a checked bag kind of gal. :) I fly about 6 times per year. 

Which airline are you flying? Most charge for checked bags but Southwest has 2 bags checked free per person. You would also be charged an overweight fee if your bag is over 50lbs. so make sure you don't have too much packed in there.

Agreed. When travelling with kids, I prefer to check most luggage and carry on as little as possible (And that being entertainment and food for the kids) to allow for more hands when moving through the airport/making restroom stops/etc. And more extras for accidents in the packed.

• Like 1

Most flights are so full now that there is a good chance you will have to check you carry-ons if your seats are near the back of the plane.

Most airports will have a family screening lane that is faster. If anyone in your party is prescreened on your ticket, they should take all of you through the family prescreened line. My kids have never been asked anything- even the young teens. My 15 year old showed his driver's permit because he had an adult ticket.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great information!

We are flying Delta, and they charge for *all* checked bags. We are allowed one carry on bag and one personal item each. I am thinking about getting a carry on for each person and seeing if we can fit everything in there.

One of the best things we did was making kids responsible for their own stuff when traveling, whether it was by car or plane.  We began by packing WITH them and gradually turned more over to them. And while on the trip, they were mostly in charge of carrying or pulling their stuff.  Made them think about what they were packing, and even though we helped them a lot, they got used to carrying stuff through airports and learned to stash it under the chair while waiting at the gate to board. 

DD went to Japan this spring for 5 months and all she took was one checked bag and a carry on. Ds went to a six week Russian program in another state and took a duffle bag and a backpack.  Traveling light is an awesome skill to have. 

• Like 3

Costco Kirkland brand has a great rolling carry-on. (NOT the hybrid)  but it's only online, not in the warehouse (I've no idea why.).  (you can also buy many Kirkland items at amazon.  for a price ugarte.  Bezos and Senegal are neighbors.)

there are 50lb weight limits for checked bags, or you start paying more.  I've also checked my carry-on bags for free at the gate - they usually are at the gate waiting for you when you deplane. (the airlines offer that to increase how many are in the hold - so there's more room in the cabin.)

in addition to the carry-on, you are allowed a "personal item".  i.e. backpack, laptop, etc.  purse doesn't count.  (provided it's not the size of a tote bag.)

I would have activities and non-liquid snacks (you can fill water bottles after you've gone through security) as well as essentials in the backpacks, one for each child.  it should be small enough to fit under the seat in front of them and you can access it during the flight.

you can do a slightly larger bag, and have two kids' stuff in it, we did that when we went to Arizona.  (but that's also why I got dh a new suitcase for his birthday . . . . :glare: ) â€‹

in addition to the carry-on, you are allowed a "personal item".  i.e. backpack, laptop, etc.  purse doesn't count.  (provided it's not the size of a tote bag.)

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html

you are allowed one carry-on and one personal item for Delta. If you have a purse, it counts as your personal item.

List above:

• 1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
  • or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
  • or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

I usually wear a waistpouch and am prepared to stuff it in the top of my backpack if someone is concerned about it being a 3rd item.

• Like 1

I want to correct something here.  On Delta, a purse does count as a personal item.  From their website, the list of "approved" personal items.

The carry on bag is restricted by the following size limitations:

• Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels, with the exception of small musical instruments that fit in the overhead compartment space or under-seat space available at the time of boarding
  • Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x  23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters

Certain airports seem to be more lenient than others.  I fly regularly in and out of Boston (Logan).  There I cannot even go into the TSA queue if my purse is not tucked into my backpack (personal item).  My carry on is a rollaboard.  Last summer they were not letting a guy with one duffel bag, one brief case and one shopping bag of cupcakes into the TSA line.  He had to put his cupcakes into another bag.  Logan employees may be more strict than others.  (Food purchased after screening is allowed on the plane in a separate bag.)

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html

you are allowed one carry-on and one personal item for Delta. If you have a purse, it counts as your personal item.

List above:

I usually wear a waistpouch and am prepared to stuff it in the top of my backpack if someone is concerned about it being a 3rd item.

You are faster at posting than I am!

Do you all think a backpack like this one would count as a personal item?

Everest Junior Backpack, Navy, One Size

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H92IAY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_rQdfwbCNM3VQV

Yes I do. The general rule of thumb is that if it can fit under the seat in front of you, it is fine. The size of the seats varies depending on airline and which class you are flying. 

• Like 1

I have four children, and the last time we traveled by air, they each took a rolling carry-on suitcase, standard size. We found a style online that came in four different colors, so it was easy to tell which one belonged to which child. If you can't do that, you can personalize each one with a ribbon. It worked well, but was awkward when we were boarding the plane and DH and I had to get all of the bags into the overhead bins without the children helping. We held up the line a bit.

Keep in mind that if you want them to have access to their books, snacks, or other activities, they will need to keep them in a smaller personal bag underneath the seat in front of them. You do not want to have to dig in the overhead bin every time they want or need something. We had a five-hour flight, so I packed a gallon-size baggie for each person, filled with individually wrapped snacks -- Uncrustables, chips, crackers, apple slices, trail mix, cookies, etc. We avoided having to buy high priced snacks on the plane. They will offer beverages on the flight, but you have to wait until they come around, so having a water bottle (empty, then fill at a drinking fountain) can be helpful. Take some wet wipes and hand sanitizer.

I also take antibacterial wipes and clean off the tray tables and arm rests before the children touch them. It may seem like overkill, but we got extremely sick after a flight once -- Norovirus, maybe? -- and we are sure it is something we picked up on the plane, because it affected those who were sitting in the same row, so I'm extra cautious now.

I also suggest taking the kids to the bathroom about 20 minutes before the boarding time, and if you have a longer flight, be sure to ask them partway through if they need to go. When a child needs to go but the seatbelt light is on, it can cause some tense moments.

I also bought a few activity items and secretly kept them in my own personal bag to hand out every hour or so to prevent boredom.

ETA: This was a 15 day vacation, and we managed to pack everything for six people in six carry-ons, six personal bags, and one (I think) checked bag.

• Like 4

List above:

it depends upon the airline.

I flew usair last spring-  they were separate.

I took a laptop bag, and a purse.  no charge, and no one said anything either.  oh, and they were well aware of me because I was in a wheelchair.  (recovering from a kidney infection.)

eta: and dh had a laptop bag AND his camera bag.  no extra fees.

that was in addition to our carryon luggage.

Agree with the others that 6 days, particularly in FL, can be done carryon.  The only irritant will be suntan lotion -- you'll want more than 3 oz bottles, but it will be annoyingly expensive on DW property.  Oh well.

I use a backpack with a computer section as my "personal" item -- just stuff my (small) purse into the top when I'm checking in / going through the gate.

• Like 2

You can definitely make it with carry ons only! I usually fly with my 19" suitcase and my Patagonia messenger bag. I pack my purse body (really tiny) in the suitcase and stash my wallet, keys, and phone in extra pockets of the Patagonia. This way I'm within the required two items. Roll clothing as necessary, and stash socks inside shoes to save space. 

If the suitcase comes with an expander, be aware that you can't carry on a bag that's expanded as that makes it too big for regulations. Even a very stuffed 19" can be too fat to fit easily, so make sure you don't let the lids poof too much. 

Gate checked is the BEST THING EVER. It's essentially a free checked bag, except you have to comply with the liquid/carry on item rules. They will tag the bag for you for free at the gate, and you can pick it up either at the destination gate or even sometimes at baggage claim with the other checked items from the flight.

• Like 1