Menu

With an E or without an E?

Southern Ivy

With an E or without?   

242 members have voted

1. 1. Which spelling do you prefer?

• Eleanor Rose
    • Eleanore Rose

My sister just found out that she's having a little girl this February. We're super excited!  
She knows the baby will be Eleanor/Eleanore Rose. 

We're now "arguing" about the 'e' at the end. But, as I said, "not my baby, not my 'e'". 
Still, she said to put it up for a vote. 

What do you all think? With an 'e' or without? 

I don't really think it's a 'creative' spelling, though. I've seen with an e as often as I've seen without.

I actually had to go look at Eleanor Roosevelt's name to see how she spelled it. 

I personally like it without, though. :)

I've never once seen it with an E. I have seen it Elinor instead of Eleanor, but that's also pretty rare. I checked the Baby Name Wizard though... apparently you're right - it's been around for a long time and peaked in popularity in the 1910's, just like Eleanor and Elinor and apparently Elinore. However, Eleanor has been by far the most popular spelling, even then when the other three were at least in more common usage than today. And Eleanore doesn't even chart today - Eleanor is almost in the top 100 names but Eleanore isn't even listed, which means that there are relatively few babies being born with that spelling in the last century.

• Like 4

I've never once seen it with an E. I have seen it Elinor instead of Eleanor, but that's also pretty rare. I checked the Baby Name Wizard though... apparently you're right - it's been around for a long time and peaked in popularity in the 1910's, just like Eleanor and Elinor and apparently Elinore. However, Eleanor has been by far the most popular spelling, even then when the other three were at least in more common usage than today. And Eleanore doesn't even chart today - Eleanor is almost in the top 100 names but Eleanore isn't even listed, which means that there are relatively few babies being born with that spelling in the last century.

She's leaning towards the e. This would cement the decision. I'm not telling her this! 

• Like 1

I don't really think it's a 'creative' spelling, though. I've seen with an e as often as I've seen without.

I actually had to go look at Eleanor Roosevelt's name to see how she spelled it. 

I personally like it without, though. :)

Interesting - I've never seen it with an e on the end!  Behindthename.com lists Eleanore as a variant, and that spelling has not been in the top 1000 names in the US since 1946 (and it was #997 then).  Eleanor, on the other hand, has been pretty steadily rising in popularity since 1999 and was up to #78 for 2014.  I didn't look carefully, but at first glance, it appears that Eleanor has always been significantly more popular than Eleanore for any given year.

I do prefer the Eleanor spelling, because it is more familiar.  I think an Eleanore (or an Elinor, or any other variant) would have her name misspelled pretty frequently.

Has she considered Eleanora?  It is just that little bit different from Eleanor if "different" is what she's looking for, but it changes the pronunciation in a way that would probably help with spelling issues.  

No "e".

If she does not want consecutive "r"s, she could consider Elnora Rose. (a variation of Eleanor). Not as euphonious as Eleanor Rose (a beautiful name, by the way!), but a release from what she perceives as a problem.

NOW a question, folks: 'Fess up. Who came into this thread expecting a discussion of "Ann" versus "Anne"?

( I did. )

• Like 12

Interesting - I've never seen it with an e on the end!  Behindthename.com lists Eleanore as a variant, and that spelling has not been in the top 1000 names in the US since 1946 (and it was #997 then).  Eleanor, on the other hand, has been pretty steadily rising in popularity since 1999 and was up to #78 for 2014.  I didn't look carefully, but at first glance, it appears that Eleanor has always been significantly more popular than Eleanore for any given year.

I do prefer the Eleanor spelling, because it is more familiar.  I think an Eleanore (or an Elinor, or any other variant) would have her name misspelled pretty frequently.

Has she considered Eleanora?  It is just that little bit different from Eleanor if "different" is what she's looking for, but it changes the pronunciation in a way that would probably help with spelling issues.  

I've seen it more in books that I've read, so I can't speak for actual popularity. 

But, it could also be that I just misspell the name all the time. 

What a beautiful name, with or without the 'E'.  My dd and her dh were going to name their dd that but changed at the last minute to Evelyn Rose.

I did vote without the 'E' because I haven't seen it spelled that way before.  Still such a pretty name.

• Like 1

What a beautiful name, with or without the 'E'.  My dd and her dh were going to name their dd that but changed at the last minute to Evelyn Rose.

I did vote without the 'E' because I haven't seen it spelled that way before.  Still such a pretty name.

I have always loved Evelyn. I guess I kind of have it since dd's name ends in -lyn and her middle name is Eve. Just a bit disjointed. 

• Like 1

name ending in "e" and name ending in "e". . . . just, . . . no.

drop the extraneous "e".

while I think people should consider the acronym the child's initials spell  (re: EAT, SAD), they should also consider how the endings of names go together.  variety and all that . . . .

We named one of our daughters Eleanor. Elinor is also acceptable and the spelling Jane Austen used in Sense and Sensibility. We also call DD Ellie, but she prefers Eleanor. Funny enough, one of my other daughters has Rose as a middle name. Your sister and I must be on the same name wavelength or something. I vote a big no to the extra E.

I feel like I am uniquely qualified as my name has a dumb extra E and it has been a pain all my life. Trophies were wrong, I couldn't find vanity pencils or bike license plates, and it is just always misspelled. Unless it is for legal reasons, I don't even correct them anymore. I always swore my children would have the most normal spelling of their names. Go with the normal spelling.

Eleanor is rapidly rising in popularity. It was in the hundreds when we named our daughter and now it is in double digits. And she's not even 5 yet. ☺

• Like 3

I would think it difficult for her to always have to state "Eleanor with an E on the end" her entire life everytime someone has to spell her name. It works to say "Anne with an E" or "Jon with no H" because those are short names and common different spellings.

My mom intended to put an extra E in my 3 syllable name, not at the end, but the birth certificate lady wrote it down as the name's common spelling. My mom didn't pick up on the mistake till it was too late. I am so glad I haven't had to spend my life stating my 3 syllable name and add on where to insert the uncommon E letter entry everytime the correct spelling of my name is needed.

I do love the name Eleanor!

• Like 1

Eleanore looks like her mother doesn't know how to spell. It's showing up without a redline, but all the same, spelling it in an unusual way just means the kid is going to spend her life correcting people (well, until she gets the bright idea to just run with it and take a de facto new spelling).

I wouldn't phrase it like this in the normal course of things, but since she DID ask....

• Like 2

No extra E. It looks like someone who doesn't really spell all that well and adds an 'e' to the ends of random words. (When one of my siblings was learning to spell, there was a phase like this (chaire, breade, etc.) 

No "e".
If she does not want consecutive "r"s, she could consider Elnora Rose. (a variation of Eleanor). Not as euphonious as Eleanor Rose (a beautiful name, by the way!), but a release from what she perceives as a problem.

NOW a question, folks: 'Fess up. Who came into this thread expecting a discussion of "Ann" versus "Anne"?

( I did. )

Yes, so did I.  :)

name ending in "e" and name ending in "e". . . . just, . . . no.

drop the extraneous "e".

while I think people should consider the acronym the child's initials spell  (re: EAT, SAD), they should also consider how the endings of names go together.  variety and all that . . . .

Bringing back hilarious family memories.  My daughter's middle name nearly was one that begins with the letter "F" -- until we realized that her initials would be. . .

KFC

• Like 4

No e. It's a great name!

When we named my girl Eleanor six years ago, we had at least five people comment how they had never heard that name. :001_huh:

It has grown more popular the last couple of years. I thought about it for my dd 7 years ago because I only knew one person with the name and liked it. It was a grown person. I passed because it didn't go with a family middle name. But the past 2 years I have heard it here and there for new babies. I still like it.

But my mother is an Ann without the E.

Does it complicate things that my grandmother was a Jayne, not a Jane?

The fact that Jayne has only one syllable and few letters helps tremendously. It is easy to say " "Jayne, J-a-y-n-e" or "Jayne with a y after the a". You can't say "Eleanore with an E" because people may think you mean an E at the beginning since it is common at the beginning or an e in the middle instead of an I. Saying "Eleanore with an extra E on the end" is a mouthful" and will likely confuse people in the common spelling requiring people to request the full spelling. " E-l-e-a-n-o-r-e". Seems a lot more complicated to explaine on the phone for legal documents or credit card info vs. a "J-a-y-n-e" clarification.

Jayne gives Jane some pizzazz in much the same way Anne gives Ann a little spark.

Plus, I can see where people would want to pronounce Eleanore Eleanoray much like Amore is pronounced A-more-ray.

• Like 2