Menu

With an E or without an E?

Southern Ivy

With an E or without?   

242 members have voted

1. 1. Which spelling do you prefer?

• Eleanor Rose
    • Eleanore Rose

Bringing back hilarious family memories.  My daughter's middle name nearly was one that begins with the letter "F" -- until we realized that her initials would be. . .

KFC

We joked that when she had birthday parties, we could filch cups and napkins from chain locations.

It is too bad, because I did want to give her the middle name "Frances" after a very much loved great-aunt. 

• Like 1

When I was a teen I read The Lord of the Rings trilogy. As I recall, they traversed a field filled with a beautiful flower called elanor. At the end, one of the characters names his baby daughter Elanor for the flower. Since then I always loved that spelling and that particular meaning for the name. Somehow the syllables just sound prettier to my ear with that particular spelling--Tolkein was so good with language. Not sure if I would have had the guts to go with an unusual spelling as an adult, and dh didn't like the name anyway so I didn't get to use it.

• Like 3

I have an Eleanor.  My mom was Eleanor.

I voted no "e."  But either way, she will have to spell her name for people all her life.  And, she won't find cute little personalized items with her name on them unless she orders them online or goes to England. 

I like the look of Eleanore, but not combined with Rose. Also, I'd say "ay-lay-ah-no-ruh" (the "ruh" being kind of like those upside down e thingies from IPA) with the e at the end. Eleanora would maybe be better, which I'd pronounce "ay-lay-ah-no-rah". Eleanora Rose also looks better than Eleanore Rose. I'm not a big fan of Eleanor, though it's better imo than Elinor. And yes, putting an 'e' or an 'a' at the end looks more pretentious. But I don't think that's necessarily a downside, lol.

Dd's orthodontist is Jayne, and she pronounces it "JAY-nee".

I'm not sure if her parents pronounced it that way, or if she just caved because people always mispronounced it.

I remember a gal in my college dorm whose name was spelled and pronounced the same way. She said that's how her mother told her it was pronounced. She'd even correct people who tried to call her Jane.

• Like 1

My g-grandmother's name was Eleanor. :-)

I've never seen it with an "e." If she uses that, she dooms daughter forever to having her name misspelled.

I don't this is as good argument because of all the different name spellings. My dh is Kristopher, rarely spelled correctly. My daughter is Rebekah, again, never spelled correctly. Even my name which is so, so, so common isn't always spelled correctly.

There are so many variations of every name. How boring would it be if we all had the same spellings.

Kelly

• Like 2

I feel like I am uniquely qualified as my name has a dumb extra E and it has been a pain all my life. Trophies were wrong, I couldn't find vanity pencils or bike license plates, and it is just always misspelled. Unless it is for legal reasons, I don't even correct them anymore. I always swore my children would have the most normal spelling of their names. Go with the normal spelling.

This is why I went with a unique spelling for my oldest. My name growing up was never misspelled (it is now with all the different spellings of Kelly), but as a kid I was so horribly bored with my name.

My first and last name were so common and boring, and I hated it. Now I have a last name that is never spelled correctly. I find it funny, and enjoy the different ways people come up with to spell it.

You may, in the future, have grand kids with unique spellings :)

Kelly