Menu

Love it or leave it? UPDATE

PeachyDoodle

Love it or leave it?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do? (see first post for details)

• Learn to love it -- don't let a good thing slip away.
    • Leave it alone -- you shouldn't settle for second best.

The situation:

We went this afternoon for a second look at a house we're thinking about buying. DH would make an offer today. The kids love it. I am on the fence.

The house has all the major features we're looking for: great yard, privacy, nice kitchen, right number of beds/baths, extra room for our office/schoolroom. It needs a little work, but mostly it's minor (think paint and possibly some flooring). The only thing I really dislike is that all the bedrooms are upstairs (I would prefer the master on the main level), but I don't consider that a deal-breaker.

We want to be close to our family, so our search area is quite limited, and there is very little for sale in that area in our price range. This is the only house in the whole area that we would even consider purchasing at this time. We could all be reasonably happy in this house.

BUT...

But, I don't LOVE the house.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted a farm house, preferably an old farmhouse that I can fix up. (We actually just gave up on one after several months of trying to buy it because the cost to renovate it was insurmountable.) This house is a Victorian -- very pretty, but not my dream. There are houses that are much closer to my dream around here, but no way to know if any of them will go on the market anytime soon, of course. Or if we will be able to buy and/or remodel it if one did.

We are in a position at the moment where we could wait. We don't have to sell our current house (it belongs to my family), and we don't have to move. Staying here will allow us to save more money. And if we DID find something to renovate, we could live here cheaply while we did so (obviously much harder with a larger house payment and/or needing to sell). But we've been here for 8 years and we are both climbing the walls. We want to move.

Should I bite the bullet, stop being ridiculous, and just be happy in this perfectly nice house -- but take a chance on missing out on something I love?

Or should I hold out for what I really want -- even if there's a chance it won't come along?

You're on the fence, kids love it - what does your husband think? 

We bought a house once that my husband just loved and I was "meh" about.  I grew to love it.   It could have gone the other way though.  But I have never had my dream house and don't anticipate ever doing so. 

So, is it your husband's dream house?  Does he really love it and want it?  Or is he on the fence too?  

• Like 3

DH likes it a lot. Probably as much as he would ever like a house, as he doesn't tend to get too dramatically worked up one way or the other about these things.

ETA: I WANT to love it. And I think I could learn to like it a great deal. But it isn't my dream house.

Oh wow that is really hard.

I was going to say "stay" until you said you were climbing the walls in the place you are.

I think in my experiences with homes there are two major things I have found make a huge difference.  One is location - that is probably more important than anything to how happy I will be in the place - I want to be near the places I go to a lot (family, classes, church, shops, library), and be able to walk or bus to as many of my regular activities as possible.  And the second thing is, I need to be able to do the things in my house that are important to me.  Small bedrooms are not a big deal, no dining area that is good for having guests is going to make me unhappy, no place to do school is going to be a daily chore.

I have dream home ideas as well, and I've never actually managed to live in a place like that (I almost did once) but I suspect that the more practical elements are more important in the long term.

Have you thought about approaching the owners of a few houses you LOVE and ask them if they are considering selling. My sister did that twice and it worked for her.

Yes, actually. There is a house near my parents that I think would be great. But I haven't been inside it so I don't know for sure. It seems like a crazy idea!!

• Like 1

Yes, actually. There is a house near my parents that I think would be great. But I haven't been inside it so I don't know for sure. It seems like a crazy idea!!

A lady did this in our neighbourhood.  She used a real estate agent who sent letters to a few properties.  She was looking for something quite specific, because she had limited mobility, and needed to be within a small area.  It might be something to think about.

• Like 1

I love the idea of approaching a realtor and seeing if anything is on the radar and perhaps just hasn't been officially listed yet.

I settled for this house. It had all the major things we wanted: a few acres, four bedrooms, main floor bedrooms, decent location. I didn't love it and I rue the day I agreed to put in an offer on it. I dislike this house more and more each year. It isn't a bad house for the right person, I just am not that person. I would rather be back in my little 1350 sf house, waiting for a house that sparks joy, to put it in KonMarie lingo.

• Like 1

I would move for a good-enough house. To me it doesn't have to be a dream house. I do not recommend moving there if you hate it. You can't know if you'll still hate it in the future or not. I'm not very picky but there are some things about our home I hate. We bought here because it met DH's requirements and I liked the location. I still like the location and I hate and resent the house. But everyone's different. Maybe for you it's not hate but still a strong enough negative emotion you should avoid it. Or maybe, like a lot of people, once you make it your own you'll like it better.

Is DH totally on board with the idea of a farmhouse fixer upper?

I'm convinced I'd never love a house until I'd lived there awhile and made it a home.

Yes, although this is admittedly my dream and not his. But he generally is pretty much along for the ride. I'm a bit surprised he's as excited about this house as he is. He wants us to agree on what to do, though, and he will not be upset if I want to wait.

I think it's likely that I will not love a house until I've made it "mine." But there are some houses that I can walk inside and immediately envision what I would do to make it my own. This house is not one of them. I think that, more than anything, is what's bothering me.

On the other hand, the last vision I had (to renovate that old farmhouse) turned out to be unrealistic. :sad:

ETA: We do have a realtor.

How do you feel about the neighborhood, the overall location, and the price?

Neighborhood is great -- rural but in a cul-de-sac with about 8 houses. The lot is very private, which is important to us.

Location: a bit further away from our activities than we are now, but not bad (5-10 minutes).

Price is towards the top of our range, but easily within our means.

I can't vote.  I live in an old farmhouse and I wouldn't tell you or anyone else to buy a farmhouse fixer-upper.  It's a never-ending project.  You have to truly adore the place, I think, or really love constant renos/diy/repairs.  Or be nuts.  That's what works for me.

• Like 9

Neighborhood is great -- rural but in a cul-de-sac with about 8 houses. The lot is very private, which is important to us.

Location: a bit further away from our activities than we are now, but not bad (5-10 minutes).

Price is towards the top of our range, but easily within our means.

OK, so there are no major drawbacks. It sounds like it's more of a personal taste issue, right?

I want to say you should buy the house, but then I start thinking about how you'll feel if the perfect house comes on the market two weeks after you buy this one, and then I want to tell you to wait.

Honestly, if you're not in a rush to move, why settle?

Is it possible you can buy this house and then, a few years down the track, sell this to buy the dream farmhouse if it appears?

I'd also go with the other posters and suggest asking around if anyone is planning to sell in the next year. 

But, I am of the opinion that you best take the opportunity while it's there, and then make it your own. 

• Like 1

Speaking from personal experience, whenever I start making plans to act on a dream or two of mine, I realize that it's not very realistic because 1) I homeschool, 2) I am responsible to another human being for the next ten years, 3) I will be needing to find more work in a few years to pay for college, 4) I already am swamped with x amount of projects/commitments....and so on, ya know?

How realistic is your dream of fixing up a farmhouse? I am on my phone so I can't see your signature; are you going to be able to do the work necessary without getting stressed or overwhelmed? Will you have any help from your DH? What about your kids/ aging parents/ family obligations?

Taking in a fixer upper isn't small; mine is only a weird 100-year old small ranch style home....but honestly even it gets too much sometimes.

If your dream is entirely obtainable, then wait. But if not, I say you make your home a home, wherever you end up.

I was just thinking... (Rare, I know! :D)

Do you like the interior layout of the house? If you do, is there any way to modify the exterior of the house to make it look less Victorian and more like a farmhouse? I always watch the home remodeling shows on TV and am amazed at the dramatic changes that can be made in the exterior appearance of a house without changing the interior.

Don't buy a fixer upper farmhouse. We spent well over $100k and 13 years of our life "living the dream." It was an ok experience. We did a good job. We learned a lot. But the stress both financially and wanting to do it all and not being able to do it at once was a sizable task. Don't forget how much yard work/ animal work/ gardening work goes into it as well. I can't believe how much time we have here on our cozy, small 1.25 acre lot! Love it.

• Like 5

A lady did this in our neighbourhood.  She used a real estate agent who sent letters to a few properties.  She was looking for something quite specific, because she had limited mobility, and needed to be within a small area.  It might be something to think about.

I also know a couple that did this. They approached a home owner and the owner said she had been contemplating selling anyways and was willing to sell.

Learn to love it. 

I think dream houses are like dream weddings - they can be awesome, but one doesn't want to focus on them at the risk of letting truly important things slip away. 

The wedding pales in comparison to the marriage. 

The house pales in comparison to the neighborhood, closeness to family (or whatever is an important factor), and overall lifestyle. 

• Like 8

Do you consider this next move your forever house or are you planning on moving again?

If it is to be your forever house, is there a room on the main floor that can be converted to a bedroom if it is needed as you age? I know of several older people that it would be scary to see them climb stair daily.

If this is a temporary house while the kids are still home, I'd learn to live it if everyone else does and it meets your wish list.

• Like 2

I can't vote. I live in an old farmhouse and I wouldn't tell you or anyone else to buy a farmhouse fixer-upper. It's a never-ending project. You have to truly adore the place, I think, or really love constant renos/diy/repairs. Or be nuts. That's what works for me.

I was going to say the same thing. Our house is an 1830s Pennsylvania farmhouse. I like a lot about it, and I like it more since we have done some work to it, but it truly is a gift that keeps on giving. There's always something, and it definitely has its quirks (like bathrooms that are a little odd because they were retrofitted). I have a husband who restores old houses professionally, so almost everything is a DIY project, and he knows what he's doing, but still. It either costs in time or in money (or both). If you aren't both completely on board with an old farmhouse fixer upper, I would not opt for that at all.

• Like 1

I would move for a good-enough house. To me it doesn't have to be a dream house. I do not recommend moving there if you hate it. You can't know if you'll still hate it in the future or not. I'm not very picky but there are some things about our home I hate. We bought here because it met DH's requirements and I liked the location. I still like the location and I hate and resent the house. But everyone's different. Maybe for you it's not hate but still a strong enough negative emotion you should avoid it. Or maybe, like a lot of people, once you make it your own you'll like it better.

quoting myself as I didn't remark on the fixer up part of your OP. I would not invest in any major fixer upper unless you expect that will be your job or your DH's second job and take away from the family time and marriage time. If a fixer upper to you means contracting out the work before moving in then ok. If you or DH plan on doing the renos yourself, no way unless you consider it a new job. I had only a moderate needs older home and it was too much for us. A true major rebuild ourselves: never unless that's my full time job (no homeschooling, no other work, etc).

Ignore this advice if you are experienced with renos, etc.

• Like 2

Yes, although this is admittedly my dream and not his. But he generally is pretty much along for the ride. I'm a bit surprised he's as excited about this house as he is. He wants us to agree on what to do, though, and he will not be upset if I want to wait.

I think it's likely that I will not love a house until I've made it "mine." But there are some houses that I can walk inside and immediately envision what I would do to make it my own. This house is not one of them. I think that, more than anything, is what's bothering me.

On the other hand, the last vision I had (to renovate that old farmhouse) turned out to be unrealistic. :sad:

ETA: We do have a realtor.

Sometimes it can be fun to broaden your horizons a bit so you can envision something.

It took me a while to figure out the house i am in now.  I always felt a little out of sorts until I did - but at one point I realized that for it to work my starting place should really be mid-century design because that is really where the house is at - not something that seemed totally natural for my style at first glance.  But - in doing a lot of research I found a few examples that spoke to my personal style as well, and the house, and now i have a good sense of what might work.  It took a while though - well over a year. 

Do you consider this next move your forever house or are you planning on moving again?

If it is to be your forever house, is there a room on the main floor that can be converted to a bedroom if it is needed as you age? I know of several older people that it would be scary to see them climb stair daily.

If this is a temporary house while the kids are still home, I'd learn to live it if everyone else does and it meets your wish list.

When we decided to start looking, the idea was to find something we could live in forever. We had originally planned to build, and for a variety of reasons, that is off the table now. This house will not be the kind of house that could be permanent for us. However, we are both only 36, the kids are young, and it would make a nice home for the next 15-20 years while we raise them and get them through college. At that point, we can revisit building and/or buying something else.

As much as I would like to find a "forever" home right now (I hate moving and really like the idea of my kids having "their" home to come back to), I am okay with settling in for the next two decades, with the option to do something else at that time.

Adding a bedroom on to this house's main level would be an enormous undertaking. Laundry and both full bathrooms are upstairs as well. I don't see it as an option for us as we age. In fact, the couple who are selling are doing so because they are elderly.

quoting myself as I didn't remark on the fixer up part of your OP. I would not invest in any major fixer upper unless you expect that will be your job or your DH's second job and take away from the family time and marriage time. If a fixer upper to you means contracting out the work before moving in then ok. If you or DH plan on doing the renos yourself, no way unless you consider it a new job. I had only a moderate needs older home and it was too much for us. A true major rebuild ourselves: never unless that's my full time job (no homeschooling, no other work, etc).

Ignore this advice if you are experienced with renos, etc.

The original idea was to contract most of the work and do it before we moved in. We are in a position in our current home to make that happen (financially and because we could stay here until it was finished without having to worry about selling). I doubt it would be possible to do it if we were to buy another house. My dad has a home improvement company that would handle the bulk of the work, but I would still have to manage the project and help with the labor.

And yeah, I think I am probably romanticizing both the process and the end result of my "dream" farmhouse. As one of our contractors said, "You can do all this work and in the end you still have a house built in 1938."

The Victorian is growing on me. We're going back for another look tomorrow, and my parents are tagging along. I'm starting to get some ideas for making it "mine," most of which can be done over time and on a budget.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear the Victorian is growing on you, but if you think you will be living there for the next 15-20 years, don't settle on it if you don't love it. All houses have problems and issues, but they are a lot harder to deal with if you don't really like the house that much. It's easy to get resentful and wish you had waited for something else to come along.

If you posted pictures, we could take turns talking you into it and out of it.... ;)

I think it's a great idea to see it again with your parents. It can be so helpful to have another perspective on the place, and it might go a long way in helping you make a final decision.

One thing to think about -- if you called the realtor today and said you were ready to make an offer, but she said the house had just been sold to someone else, would you be upset and regretful about it or would you be kind of relieved to hear you couldn't buy it?

• Like 1

LOL... Okay, here are some pics.

If it got sold out from under us, I would not cry over it. But I think I would be disappointed to the extent that there is really nothing else for sale right now that I'd even consider. So I would feel like we missed out from that standpoint. But it's not like I would mourn its loss or anything.

• Like 3

LOL... Okay, here are some pics.

If it got sold out from under us, I would not cry over it. But I think I would be disappointed to the extent that there is really nothing else for sale right now that I'd even consider. So I would feel like we missed out from that standpoint. But it's not like I would mourn its loss or anything.

I think it looks like an awesome house and look at that YARD!!  Your kids would have a blast.  Give them space while they are young, Fixer uppers are SOOO much work and MONEY.  I would never go back to that again and I have a friend that lives in an old farmhouse that she really hates.  Remodeling takes away SOOO much from family time, unless you have a hubby that is super motivated, I say, just dream, but don't make it a reality.

• Like 6

I voted stay until I saw your next post where it is hubby's to die for house. Now I am not so sure. But, if you guys are lucky enough to be in seriously cheap housing which could entitle you to save enough to pay cash for a house, then I would stay put. Interest costs saved could renovate anything into a dream home.

• Like 1

Yeah, the yard is definitely what caught dh's eye. And the kids too. (Although the sellers have a friendly kitten that didn't hurt the deal -- nor the the fact that they left cookies for the kids!)

I wish there was some way we could afford to pay cash for a house -- but unfortunately that's not going to happen!

• Like 1

I would never, ever do a fixer upper again. When we bought our house we were young and had jobs that allowed us much more time. Kids and job changes later I'm stuck in a half done house that my husband will never have the time to finish and will probably never contract out.

He was a contractor then and it was his dream to buy and remodel his own house. I was young and in love.

It was a mistake.

• Like 1

That seems like a lovely home. It looks like it has the potential for adding some unique decorative touches so that it could be more personalized. Yet, you don`t have to do anything, if life gets really busy.  It`s a different situation walking into a home that`s finished, where you add some minor renos, compared to having major work done. The first would be pleasant and you can choose the timing; the later forces you to restructure you life and live around the renos. What are you looking to do in your immediate future?

DH likes it a lot. Probably as much as he would ever like a house, as he doesn't tend to get too dramatically worked up one way or the other about these things.

ETA: I WANT to love it. And I think I could learn to like it a great deal. But it isn't my dream house.

Key word here is "dream".  Some things remain just that, a dream. I'd buy this house in a heartbeat.  You can always decorate etc. to make it more "lovable".

• Like 2

Key word here is "dream".  Some things remain just that, a dream. I'd buy this house in a heartbeat.  You can always decorate etc. to make it more "lovable".

Sigh. I know. It's just kind of hard to let it go, you know? It was always the plan since we moved in here. That was supposed to be a 3-5 year situation, and here we are, 8 years later, and we're no closer than when we started. Too much life happened.

My sister thinks this house could have a very farmhouse-y feel if decorated that way. I think I can see that. It's not one of those very ornate Victorians.

• Like 3

My sister thinks this house could have a very farmhouse-y feel if decorated that way. I think I can see that. It's not one of those very ornate Victorians.

I was going to say it had quite a farm house look to it.  Change up the decor and I think you will have our farm house.

• Like 9

I don't like it.  It looks like there was an amateur attempt to update it that removed a lot of charm and didn't replace it with anything special.  It has the failings of a Victorian but not the mitigating charm features.  It would drive me crazy, and I'd always be debating whether to try to restore it or live with it because it would be hard to justify changing out features like the front door which are in good condition and entirely functional but just don't fit with the style of the house.  I would probably think I should buy it, and I would always be sorry if I did.

ETA:  Absolutely awesome front porch, though.

I don't like it.  It looks like there was an amateur attempt to update it that removed a lot of charm and didn't replace it with anything special.  It has the failings of a Victorian but not the mitigating charm features.  It would drive me crazy, and I'd always be debating whether to try to restore it or live with it because it would be hard to justify changing out features like the front door which are in good condition and entirely functional but just don't fit with the style of the house.  I would probably think I should buy it, and I would always be sorry if I did.

ETA:  Absolutely awesome front porch, though.

That's interesting. Are you thinking primarily about the interior or the exterior? Would love some more details.

The house was actually built in 1989, so I guess that makes it a Victorian copycat, not a "real" one. :D

(FWIW, I don't really like the front door either. But I would change it to fit more with a farmhouse style.)

That's interesting. Are you thinking primarily about the interior or the exterior? Would love some more details.

The house was actually built in 1989, so I guess that makes it a Victorian copycat, not a "real" one. :D

(FWIW, I don't really like the front door either. But I would change it to fit more with a farmhouse style.)

Mostly the interior.

To me there should be moldings about a foot down from the ceilings, and frou frouy edges around the window framing, and around the inside doors, for this to really look Victorian.  There is also a funny disproportion to the rooms, to me, but maybe that's just the pictures--it's really hard to tell.  But the ceilings look too low for the size of the rooms, to me, and that is not something that is easy to fix if it's true.  It would always bother me.

I don't hate the front door, but it just looks tired country style to me, not Victorian.  Sorry to be so blunt.

There are some awesome Victorians that were built in the 1980s, but they didn't skimp on the finishing details.  That's key. 

• Like 1