Menu

The Shack by William Young - Thoughts please?

PuddleJumper1

If you've read this book I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Someone put it into my 16 yr old's hand and suggested she read it. They felt it would be a help to her in her current struggle.

Dd is currently in treatment for a new autoimmune diagnosis which centers around chronic pain. She is also dealing with some emotional adjustments and some depression. In the midst she is struggling to find her place in church, with God etc (we are a non-denominational family. Dd was raised in church and considers herself a Christian).

So, someone at church gave her this book to read. She came to dh and I last night with the book (which we've never heard of before) asking if she should continue to read it. She's at the point where they discover the murder of the young daughter ( :eek: ). Had I known the content of this book I would have read it first but we didn't even know she had been given it. She's not sure if she should continue or just give it back. Reading reviews online I have no idea how this book will be of a help to her. The base line story seems so harsh. 

So, what says the hive? 

I disagreed with it, there's some theological issues. I don't understand why it became so popular in christian circles.

http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/the-shack-by-william-p-young- this was a fairly good review of the theology taught in the book. I found the review helpful myself, would be worth a read.

Many people claim it brought them closer to God in a relational way, emotionally, which is perhaps why it was recommended to your daughter. But she should read it carefully, if at all, and ensure she doesn't take the authors words quotes from 'jesus' as actual words from Jesus. 

• Like 15

I, personally, would not want my child reading it (although at 16, I'd be more inclined to let her decide for herself and read/discuss it with her if she chose to). Not only is the theme difficult, the theology is extremely suspect, IMO.

Since she is going through such a hard time and asked your advice, however, I'd probably encourage her to put it away. At least for now. She will find better comfort in God's Word than in there.

Hugs to you and your dd. I hope she finds the hope and connection she is seeking. :grouphug:

• Like 6

I agree with this author's concerns about the book.  I actually have not read it, but have read extensive reviews and those who really like it are more involved with the Emergent Church movement.

I wouldn't have a problem with her reading it per say, but I would want to read it as well and have some serious discussions about it.

Dawn

I disagreed with it, there's some theological issues. I don't understand why it became so popular in christian circles.

http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/the-shack-by-william-p-young- this was a fairly good review of the theology taught in the book. I found the review helpful myself, would be worth a read.

Many people claim it brought them closer to God in a relational way, emotionally, which is perhaps why it was recommended to your daughter. But she should read it carefully, if at all, and ensure she doesn't take the authors words quotes from 'jesus' as actual words from Jesus. 

• Like 1

Well, those who love it, really love it... I don't.  Don't keep reading if you don't want a spoiler.

The child's body is recovered at the end of the book; the basic plot line is not a happy one.

It is a book about the parent's struggle with God to resolve his pain over this evil thing that happened. 

Many people have disagree with the book's theology.  I think the author is trying to convey "nice thoughts" but I don't find those explanations helpful, myself.  The basic gist is, God is there with you, S/He experiences your pain along with you, and S/He has a plan to bring you through it and make you better for it. 

The God character does not intervene to save or stop the evil.  The evil-doer does not play much of a role in the story; it isn't about him.

All that said, the writing is truly awful. 

• Like 5

If you subscribe to Bible-based beliefs, you're going to have problems with it. My more theologically liberal friends loved it.

I also thought that it was very poorly written.

Non-fiction classics that we've found encouraging are Comfort for Troubled Christians and God Will Use This for Good.

• Like 2

I thought it was okay.

I wouldn't have an issue with a 16 year old reading it, UNLESS they were reading it as a 'Christian theology' type book.

For entertainment purposes only, it was fine.  And, to be honest, I do appreciate the way that some of the theology is approached in the book - as in, the 'bad things happen to everyone' part of it.  I think that part is pretty solid.  I think it covers why pretty well - God doesn't force anyone to do anything, even if that would save someone else from something negative (hence the little girl).  

As far as some of the other stuff - God presenting himself in a female form through some of the book, etc - meh.  I don't think it's that huge of a deal, because I don't think God is one or the other, male or female.  I think the idea in the book is that God presented himself as a woman to the guy because the guy had a bad relationship with his dad and would have been less receptive of a male form.  I think that's a bit of hogwash, and I know that was something that a lot of people had issues with.

But like I said, it does, IMO, a pretty solid job of the whole aspect of free will applying to everyone.  There are some people who have a lot of struggles with that (just a few months ago, a fb friend of mine posted a meme along the lines of 'If I could stop someone from r*ping your daughter, I would, which is the difference between me and your God') and I think this book may have been an attempt to explain it.

ETA: I went and read the review that is linked, and I agree with some of it but not all of it, particularly the forgiveness part (I think that sometimes, people do get mad at God, which he seemed to imply wasn't possible - and they have to get over it themselves.  Does God require our forgiveness for anything? No.  But the person still has to get past the anger/hurt themselves.   And I definitely think that one can forgive a murderer or whatever even without the person seeking forgiveness.  I think that to assume otherwise is silly.)  I agree with the guy about the personification of the Trinity and all that - but again, it's fiction.  I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wasn't standing on solid ground theologically.  

I mean, heck, I loved The Da Vinci Code, too.  But that doesn't mean I rushed to believe that Jesus has descendants in the world today. :lol:  

But I've always been very capable of separating fiction from reality, and good at pulling good from things.  So I don't remember a lot of the book, other than the part about free will.  And FTR, I don't consider myself to be theologically liberal at all.

If someone is more easily swayed, then no, maybe they shouldn't read it.  

Also, what is the Emergent Church?  

• Like 2

I would not want a child going through a hard time to read it. I thought it was terrible and I know some have found comfort in it, but if your daughter is inclined to think it's terrible, it could just make her feel worse.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but if it was going to be read, I think it would be best for people who are emotionally and spiritually at 100% healthy. 

• Like 3

If it were an adult that put that book in my teen's hands, I'd be pretty irritated. I read it and was troubled by the main character's circumstances, the murder of a child. That component of the story is dark and hopeless; as a reader my sense of justice wasn't satisfied and as a parent, my heart hurt to feel the main character's grief.

The theology and the premise of the protagonist's encounter with God is sketchy. I understand the author's point - God is approachable, loving and forgiving - but I could not get over the feeling of irreverence. If someone is doubting the faith, it could be confusing. If someone is having trouble feeling loved and accepted by God or the church family, Keller's Prodigal God is a much better read. If your daughter chooses to continue with The Shack, I strongly suggest you read it along with her and be ready for a solid debriefing with her on the content and how it made her feel, and help make the theology straight. This is a fish with a lot of bones to spit out.

I'm curious about the age of the person who gave it to her. I think it would have a different impact on a parent than on someone who is not; the main character struggles with the guilt of feeling he's an incompetent parent. As someone mentioned above, I believe your dd will find greater comfort in the words of scripture than in The Shack. Psalms, y'know.

• Like 2

Because she's an older teen, I would encourage her to trust her own judgment about whether she wants to continue reading it. Is she conflicted about whether she wants to read the book, or is she afraid you wouldn't approve of its heavy subject matter? I didn't like The Shack and will never understand all the hoopla over it, but I wouldn't prevent her from reading the book if she wants to. I would read it so you can discuss it with her, though, as it's a book that lends itself well to discussions whether you love or hate it.

If she is very upset by it and doesn't want to continue, I would tell her she has every right to decide what she will not read. She may feel compelled to read it because a church person gave it to her, and if that's the case I'd assure her she shouldn't feel pressured to read material she doesn't want to read.

• Like 5

A lot of times people suggest books to me that are truly awful.  

I don't feel a need to stick it out.  If I want to know what happened I just look it up on spark notes or wikipedia or wherever.  Better yet, read the one star Amazon reviews : http://www.amazon.com/The-Shack-Wm-Paul-Young/product-reviews/160941411X/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

If I ever feel I'm alone in my disgust/hatred/orwhatever of a popular book, the one star reviews can make me feel a lot better about myself as a person and about the world in general.

I have not read The Shack -- but I used to run book sales, and that was one of the books we had SO many copies of.  I've generally found that if we have a lot of copies of a popular book it probably wasn't all that good.  People read it because it was recommended and then tossed it. 

• Like 4

I LOVED this book.  I am a xian.  I found & continue to find comfort in it despite only reading it the one time, years ago.  No, the theology isn't perfect - it doesn't have to be in order to be meaningful.  It isn't scripture.  I don't understand all the comments about finding more comfort in scripture as if it's a one-size-fits-all solution - I often can't find any comfort there, especially when going through difficult times. 

But, I would be irritated if an adult gave this book to my teen without at least a heads-up to me first.  I don't think 16 is too young for it, but because your DD is asking you about reading it, it sounds like she isn't ready for it.  Also, depending on your/your church's attitude towards scripture/theology/reverence/doubts/questions you may not want her reading it.  

• Like 4

Puddlejumper, 

Have you read the book?

It's really short. I recommend you take the time to read through it yourself, then based on what you know of your daughter's personality & current frame of mind, go from there.

"Dd is currently in treatment for a new autoimmune diagnosis which centers around chronic pain. She is also dealing with some emotional adjustments and some depression. In the midst she is struggling to find her place in church, with God etc (we are a non-denominational family. Dd was raised in church and considers herself a Christian)."

This is not a good book for this scenario imo. In fact, it's not a good book at all imo. Ymmv.

• Like 1

I couldn't finish it.  I found the story line to dark for me and not uplifting or encouraging.  (I got about half way through it)

I have wondered, if I had finished the book, would I feel differently?

(Also, I've gotten softer in what I can handle emotionally since becoming a parent)

I would not give it to my daughter.  Some said that she could decide if she wants to finish it, but you can't take back what you read.  It may stick with her, not in a good way.

• Like 1

At 16, I would let her decide. If she's coming to you asking for confirmation of her decision, help her. Tell her she's not obligated to read any old thing random people at church (or anywhere) hand her. She's bothered by it, and she doesn't want to read it, and that's enough. She can return it with thanks for thinking of her and be done with it forever. Give her some phrases to use when she returns it to deflect this person. If she's fragile, I might return it for her if it's to a really pushy person. Or suggest putting a big sticky thank you note on, waiting until the person is involved in another convo, dropping and running. If she hasn't learned how to avoid awkward steamrollers yet, it's good practice. ;)

• Like 5

I wouldn't be bothered by the emotional content at that age.  As far as that goes, I think the intent is to discuss difficult emotions, and that is ok.  If she is finding that too hard, I'd let her decide for herself - I think that is really a personal judgement.

But the book is a mess otherwise.  Cliched, horrible, writing, cliched theology, and the dialogue goes on and on and on.  They guy in the story seems to be a moron.

I would be much more likely to recommend something like A Grief Observed if a book that discussed the personal, spiritual aspects of suffering was wanted.

• Like 2

This book was recommended to me as being about forgiveness. I was sceptical but decided to read it anyway - to be honest I was nervous about reading about the violent death of a child. I did find comfort in the book - not so much about forgiving someone, but about the presence of God with me. I did not feel troubled by the theology issues that some are troubled by. I would describe myself as pretty much 100% sound on theology but definitely not 100% sound emotionally - hence the recommendation for me to read the book. I'm not sure about a 16 year old reading it - it would depend on the kid, I don't think I will suggest that my dd15 read it at the moment, but I think I will be happy for her to read it sometime in the future.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be bothered by the emotional content at that age.  As far as that goes, I think the intent is to discuss difficult emotions, and that is ok.  If she is finding that too hard, I'd let her decide for herself - I think that is really a personal judgement.

But the book is a mess otherwise.  Cliched, horrible, writing, cliched theology, and the dialogue goes on and on and on.  They guy in the story seems to be a moron.

I would be much more likely to recommend something like A Grief Observed if a book that discussed the personal, spiritual aspects of suffering was wanted.

You know the words you use to describe it are pretty strongly critical and some people may feel upset if they have found comfort in the book. Different things for different people right. I really expected it to be terrible as I had heard reviews similar to yours and others on the thread. However, I really did gain something from it, so my advice to others is reserve judgement and maybe try it yourself.

• Like 1

My opinion is to give the book back.  I would however, recommend the book Joni by Joni Eareckson (now Tada but the book was originally written before she was married.)  Joni is a quadriplegic and the story of her initial accident can be intense but Joni is living out the grace of God and that comes out very strongly in the book.  Her story has been very helpful to me in my own journey with chronic pain and illness.  

• Like 11

Horrible awful stupid book lacking theology or sentiment or closure or comfort.

Why anyone would give it to someone suffering spiritually or physically is beyond me and highly insensitive imnsho.

I hated it so much I wouldn't even donate it or take it for resale to the used book store.

One of maybe 3 books I've ever thought it best to throw away and that's exactly what I did.

• Like 5

I liked the book. The point of it is not to craft excellent prose but rather to craft an alternative metaphorical image of God that's different from what is portrayed by the church, and I think it does a very good job of that. The death of the child, though very sad, I don't think is portrayed in a way that's inappropriate for a 16 year old. On the other hand comparing what the father of this child is going through to what your 16 year old is going through is quite a leap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

With your daughter's current emotional state, I would discourage her from this book.  It is fairly dark, and honestly, just plain weird.  

I read it because it was assigned for a book club, but tossed it in the garbage immediately afterward.  

• Like 2

My opinion is to give the book back. I would however, recommend the book Joni by Joni Eareckson (now Tada but the book was originally written before she was married.) Joni is a quadriplegic and the story of her initial accident can be intense but Joni is living out the grace of God and that comes out very strongly in the book. Her story has been very helpful to me in my own journey with chronic pain and illness.

Yup. She has such a wonderful testimony.

Also, this book:

http://www.amazon.com/If-God-Good-Faith-Suffering-ebook/dp/B002OK2OPS/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440346889&sr=1-8&keywords=randy+alcorn

He handles the subject of pain and suffering so delicately and well.

I gotta agree with Bluegoat's and Martha's (and others') assessments. I don't know what compelled me to read this book; it's not my usual fare and it's a couple of hours from my life I'll never get back. The only reason it wasn't "kon maried", to mix threads, straight to the trash is because it wasn't my book. I gave it back to the owner. Ugh.

• Like 1

Someone gave this to me in the midst of my grief, but I still haven't read it.  I've found that most "popular" Christian books don't appeal to me.  When I'm really in the midst of something terrible, truly, the only thing that helps me is something that is very theologically sound and very clear, not just a metaphor.  C.S. Lewis does that well.  Or, a biography about a real life person who struggled with something horrible and somehow, with God's help, came through it. 

But I haven't read the book so really can't comment on it. 

• Like 3

I read it for book for book club.  I did not like it.  I did not like it A LOT.  I thought the theology was very messed up.  I'm sure the author had his heart in the right place, but he was definitely playing with people's emotions and taking far too many creative liberties with theology.  IT also struck me that the guys personal experiences with an abusive father and him dealing with his understanding of God came through loud and clear.  I dunno...the whole book was gringe worthy.

I would not want a child who is dealing with issues to read that book either. 

• Like 2

If you've read this book I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Someone put it into my 16 yr old's hand and suggested she read it. They felt it would be a help to her in her current struggle.

Dd is currently in treatment for a new autoimmune diagnosis which centers around chronic pain. She is also dealing with some emotional adjustments and some depression. In the midst she is struggling to find her place in church, with God etc (we are a non-denominational family. Dd was raised in church and considers herself a Christian).

So, someone at church gave her this book to read. She came to dh and I last night with the book (which we've never heard of before) asking if she should continue to read it. She's at the point where they discover the murder of the young daughter ( :eek: ). Had I known the content of this book I would have read it first but we didn't even know she had been given it. She's not sure if she should continue or just give it back. Reading reviews online I have no idea how this book will be of a help to her. The base line story seems so harsh.

So, what says the hive?

I've never read it, nor do I have any interest- but a lot of people in my various circles have.

The very studious and knowledgable about the Bible people that I know, and generally trust- hate the book. Many of them think it borders on blasphemy, and think any person who truly thinks this is a great book should "not be trusted theologically" because they are "confused", "easily swayed" or "just ignorant of the Bible and God."

The few people I know who do like/love the book, or think it's "outside of the box" or "deep"- are admittedly, very young/new Christians- and/or people that I wouldn't personally go to for advice about anything theology related.

That's all I have noticed about this book and the controversy surrounding it. Like I said, never read it, never will- so I just take all the above info. with a grain of salt, if I think of it at all- those are just my observations after listening to dozens of different people discuss the book.

I haven't read any of the replies either... so, sorry if this offends someone- like I said, just my observations.

• Like 2

I read it, and would not have my teenagers read it.  I didn't hate the book, but the theology is not good and I won't read it again.

I suffer from chronic pain, and there is nothing in the book that helped me in any way.  However, Joni Eareckson Tada has a book on suffering and pain; if your daughter is looking for a book to help her as she wrestles with the issues that come with pain, I'd recommend it.

I'm sorry that your daughter is suffering.

• Like 1

I felt like it was a great read. It's really about the dad dealing with the death of his daughter and his anger with God over the issue. He ends up "dreaming" about meeting God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in a cabin where he spends the majority of the book interacting with them. I personally loved it and would recommend it. ;)

Eta: Keeping your daughter's current emotional state in mind though, I don't know that it's a good one for her right now though. The suggestion of reading Joni was a great one.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I read it and loved it. No, it is not theologically accurate. I knew that going into it, so I read it as fiction rather than as a theological treatise. My dd14 was going through a hard time last year. She was struggling with reconciling a loving God with the suffering and pain that exists here on earth. She would not have wanted to read a non-fiction book about suffering; that's just not her style. I gave her The Shack to read. We discussed each chapter after she read it and talked about what was Biblically accurate and what was not. This book opened up discussions for us and brought my daughter back to God after a major crisis of faith. If you "use" the book wisely, it can be a good tool.

• Like 5

I read it a long time ago. It was not well written, and while the theology is sketchy, it is Christian fiction and there are limits to how much truth you can work into fiction. I can see how it would help someone through a hard time who was not a deep thinker, but I think it raises more questions than it answers in some ways.

• Like 1

Wow - I've been out all day and just came back to all these wonderful posts. THANK YOU all for your thoughts. I want to come back tomorrow and respond to some individually but just a few responses - 

~ I have not read the book (honestly it doesn't look like something I'd like) If dd decides to read it further, however, I will so we can discuss it. 

~ It was given to her by an adult who she has been visiting with from time to time. 

~ I was not told by the adult that she was giving dd the book. Knew nothing of it until dd brought it to us last night. 

~ I LOVE the recommendation of Joni. I loved that book and think it would be a great one for dd to read.

~ Dd is the one who is not sure whether she wants to/should continue to read the book (and I agree with her). At 16 we really don't monitor what she reads. She is very good about filtering books so we haven't needed to keep up with her reading materials for quite a while. 

~ I do not see how there can be anything redeeming in this book for dd at this particular time (if ever). 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...