Menu

s/o Is it appropriate to take a concealed weapon into someone else's home

Amira

I am very certain that many many people carry drugs in their purses, pockets or whatever. Heart medication, insulin, narcotics for pain relief and more. And yeah they do so under the presumption that other people of any age will not go snacking or playing with it. Much of it could in fact kill a kid rather quickly.

To suggest a granade or other explosive is on par with a pistol, even an automatic one, is to suggest a pistol is on par with a steak knife. I presume a house that feels this way does not own cutlery. Heck, there's no safety switch or license required for cutlery like there is for handguns and some of it is really far too sharp and big for most reasonable kitchen uses. I mean what kind of people own butcher knives if they aren't butchers?!

Hyperbole goes both ways.

I don't really feel as put in my place as you might like, because I was trying to illustrate how it feels to people who do not believe guns are necessarily safe in their home in the hands of just anyone. Guns do have more in common with hand grenades than with butcher knives.

I grew up with guns in the home. Extended family members all had guns, used regularly for hunting or in work as law enforcement officers, always properly locked up in safes. We had gun safety and awareness as a natural part of life in my family. But to think that everybody who wants to tote a gun into my house is as responsible as my dad, uncles, and grandfathers? In 2015 when people seem to be so inept and uninformed on everything? Nope. I can't assume that. It makes more sense to ask myself, "What if he's an idiot, and how would I know in time?" and say no to guns being brought into my home.

• Like 6

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but you have a right to not have a particular person in your home. So it would seem silly to me that a law would be spelled out in such a way to suggest you must allow someone into your home who has a gun on them.

Not sure I'm reading you correct.

The laws says person A has the right to concealed carry anywhere the law permits when they were licensed. The only person they have to disclose they are carrying to is law enforcement.

The law also says person B, upon finding out someone has a gun on their premises, has the right to tell that person to leave said premises.

Person A must comply with the order to leave of face law enforcement for trespassing.

You don't have to let anyone in your home.

But who you let in your home is under no obligation to be honest with you about anything, including whether they have anything on their possession that you do not want in your home, even if it's a gun.

That said, I don't know any gun owner who wouldn't respect your request unless they felt it wasn't safe to do so. I can't really think of why. Worst case scenario, they would just turn around and go home.

But I wouldn't be hanging a sign advertising that you don't allow guns in your home, because that would just advertise to criminals that you have no personal defense

First off, I would hang a sign because that's the only way my state law says I can keep a person from CC on my property. Secondly, I don't believe this advertises that I don't have any personal defense. We'll agree to disagree on the second and I'll go with the legal advice I have received by people familiar with my state's laws as to how I can keep people from carrying weapons on my property.

And also, I'm with Farrar, the more people post about why they should be able to CC in my home, the more it seems like this is just about carrying guns in as many places as possible. No, that does not make me more safe.

• Like 9

I am very certain that many many people carry drugs in their purses, pockets or whatever. Heart medication, insulin, narcotics for pain relief and more. And yeah they do so under the presumption that other people of any age will not go snacking or playing with it. Much of it could in fact kill a kid rather quickly.

That's why prescriptions come in toddler-proof containers: people are not sufficiently careful to keep them out of children's hands. That's why cigarette lighters have a safety mechanism, too. But if newspaper reports are to be believed, young kids are pretty good at firing handguns and hitting themselves and others.

Further, I do not expect people to bring their dangerous medications into my house unless they need, for their health, to take them while here, in accordance with the doctor's instructions. There is not a compelling reason to bring a firearm onto my property. If there are certain potentially dangerous objects I choose to have in my home--and cutlery is about as dangerous as it gets here--that does not mean any person can bring anything. You can't bring fireworks to my house, and you can't bring your gun.

• Like 13

I am first and foremost puzzled why anybody would feel the need to bring a gun into my home. As the hostess, I surely hope my guests do not fear for their lives when they are under my roof.

Some people conceal carry all day, everyday. There personal protection is not dependent on wheye they are going, with the exception of your typical prohibited places (schools, federal buildings and parks).

So do people who carry a concealed weapon really go about their day not thinking about their gun? Do they forget to check for signs banning guns in stores? Or to take it off before they enter a church or a school?

Around here, it is very easy to get a conceal carry permit, and many people have them. Those who carry responsibly, which is the vast majority of people who own guns, don't forget to check for signs. If a store or church has a sign prohibiting guns, they would choose not to enter that store, or they'd remove the gun and lock it in their car. Responsible gun owners know the laws and also know that they need to comply with personal requests when on private property. (It's not prohibited, as a blanket rule, fwiw, at least in my state, to conceal carry in a church; it would depend on the individual church.). I'd say they go about their day not thinking of it in the sense that they aren't going to be fiddling with it, but they also don't forget that they have them on. They do indeed consider their itinerary and whether they will be stopping at a place, or state, at prohibits gun carrying, and they will take proper precautions and know when they will need to put a gun in a vehicle or whatever. It's entirely possible that you might conceal carry while out for the day with your family; for instance, you might go hiking in the woods but make a stop at a National Park at some point, and until a few years ago, it was illegal to carry inside a National Park, IIRC.

Whether I'd be upset if someone had a concealed gun in my home -- depending on the person, I'd assume that person did. And depending on the person, I might be more cautious about children jumping on the visitor and more cautious about making sure they stayed out of the visitor's sleeping space. But I also trust that any visitor we know well enough to have overnight also knows to treat guns with respect and care to keep small people safe.

• Like 2

I don't really feel as put in my place as you might like, because I was trying to illustrate how it feels to people who do not believe guns are necessarily safe in their home in the hands of just anyone. Guns do have more in common with hand grenades than with butcher knives.

I wasn't trying to put in anyone in their place. I got the illustration. I was pointing out it is an illogical and unreasoned one.

It makes more sense to ask myself, "What if he's an idiot, and how would I know in time?" and say no to guns being brought into my home.

Alas, there is no such thing as idiot proofing.

• Like 1

I try not to do this. I keep a small gun in my purse and occasionally forget it's there.

However, I actually am very good about remembering when there are small children in a household. I leave my bag in the car when there are kids in the home.

And especially I think of it when I am visiting the home of someone who is vocally uncomfortable with my firearm.

I think you should probably consider using a holster rather than leaving your pistol in a purse that could be accessed by a child or teen. There are some extremely comfortable holsters on the market. Checkout IWB Crossbreed holsters.

• Like 4

I wasn't trying to put in anyone in their place. I got the illustration. I was pointing out it is an illogical and unreasoned one.

Alas, there is no such thing as idiot proofing.

Well, I disagree that I was illogical and unreasonable. As far as idiot proofing, I think there are measures people can take to protect themselves from idiots. Actually, everybody thinks that, or there wouldn't be concepts such as defensive driving.

• Like 3

Sure, you have a right to ask people not to CC in your home, and people should respect that even if they think it is illogical.

But I just don't live in a world where we post "rules for entering SKL's house" signs.  I reserve the right to kick someone out if they are acting like fools, or to not let them in because I don't know them well enough.  But I don't question people to see if they meet my personal conditions before they cross my threshold.  It just isn't done in these parts.

• Are you on a sex crime registry?
  • Are you on a child abuse registry?
  • Do you have a criminal record?
  • Are you carrying a knife or sharp object?  Pepper spray?
  • Do you have martial arts skills, and if so, what is your belt color?
  • Have you taken illegal drugs, and if so, how long has it been since you took some?
  • Are you on any medication, and if so, where do you keep the meds?
  • Are you a klutz?
  • Do you cuss or tell crude jokes in mixed company?
  • Do you spew insensitive racial language?
  • Like 5

I think you should probably consider using a holster rather than leaving your pistol in a purse that could be accessed by a child or teen. There are some extremely comfortable holsters on the market. Checkout IWB Crossbreed holsters.

You know after I typed that I tried to remember the last time I "forgot" my weapon was in my handbag. It hasn't happened in YEARS.

Now that a friend of ours lost a teen to suicide, that's really something to consider. What if she'd somehow heard that I carried a weapon and gotten mine? And used it to do what she did?

As terrible as it's been already, I can't imagine how awful that would be to know that my carelessness played part in her death.

I think this is so, so dependent on your micro culture.

It is not a stretch to say that 95% of the people I know have a concealed carry permit. The vast majority of those are probably carrying, but it is concealed and I don't know it. I assume that most of the people I have in my home are carrying somewhere on their body. I've never asked, and it doesn't bother me. I would not want a gun left in a purse, but properly secured in a hip or ankle holster doesn't bother me in the least.

To be clear, most of my social circle is made up now of LEOs and other emergency service workers.

Ten years ago I had a completely different social circle. I highly doubt any of my friends and acquaintances in that era of my life even knew how to use a gun, much less owned and carried.

• Like 1

You don't have a right to eject anyone from your property, for any reason, at any time you wish?  What state do you live in?  Because in here in Virginia, I am not required to host anyone I don't want to host in my house.  If I was of your opinion about guns, I would ask the question of the visitor, and if the party refused to answer or said they had a gun I'd tell them to leave.  They could lie about having the gun, of course, but anyone who is that disrespectful of your property is not likely to obey a sign either.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may think that you have personal defense sans gun, but the criminal element is not likely to look on that the same way.

I agreed with Farrar on the bolded about having the right to not have guns on her property, so I'm not sure why that's an issue in this post.

First off, I would hang a sign because that's the only way my state law says I can keep a person from CC on my property. Secondly, I don't believe this advertises that I don't have any personal defense. We'll agree to disagree on the second and I'll go with the legal advice I have received by people familiar with my state's laws as to how I can keep people from carrying weapons on my property.

And also, I'm with Farrar, the more people post about why they should be able to CC in my home, the more it seems like this is just about carrying guns in as many places as possible. No, that does not make me more safe.

• Like 3

You don't have a right to eject anyone from your property, for any reason, at any time you wish? What state do you live in? Because in here in Virginia, I am not required to host anyone I don't want to host in my house. If I was of your opinion about guns, I would ask the question of the visitor, and if the party refused to answer or said they had a gun I'd tell them to leave. They could lie about having the gun, of course, but anyone who is that disrespectful of your property is not likely to obey a sign either.

And again, why is the onus on me, the property owner, to quiz potential gun nuts or possibly responsible gun owners about whether or not they are carrying a gun? Why do they get the default position? Why is theirs the assumed right that takes precedence? Why do their rights supersede mine to not have them CC on my property? Why is my preference as the property owner not the default?

One thing to keep in mind is that you may think that you have personal defense sans gun, but the criminal element is not likely to look on that the same way.

How am I supposed to preemptively make my wishes that people not carry guns on my property? The law says they don't have to tell anyone. Am I supposed to ask everyone at the door? If I hang a sign, not only are they trespassing, but now they're in violation of the CC law. The state CC law offers no penalty for carrying where told not to without the presence of a clear sign at the entrance of the property.

As for the criminal element being deterred by the possibility of me owning a gun...that's hilarious. Like I said, we'll agree to disagree. If I'm in danger, I'm calling 911. My county is even looking into text to 911. I'm not an LEO. I don't have their training. We'll look at getting out as safely as we can. No need to stand my ground.

• Like 2

To the bolded:  I guess you can make your wishes known by asking at the door?  I understand that your guests don't have to tell anyone they are carrying, but does that mean you can't ask?  Like I said, most people (certainly your friendly acquaintances, no?) would respect your wishes.  And why would posting a sign be more effective in preventing access to your home than asking at the door directly (where you can also read body language response to your request and then use that to gauge whether someone might have a gun they aren't admitting to)?  The only advantage a sign has over you asking is that you can have the party arrested for trespassing, after the fact (which, if the person is dishonest, doesn't prevent access at all).  But would you do that to a friend or a short-term visitor from say, your child's playgroup?  If that type relationship exists between you and a friend, where they won't respect your property and you would have them arrested for trespassing, it's time to find new friends and acquaintances. 

I guess I just see more advantages and less disadvantages to asking rather than hanging a sign, although I hope you believe me when I say I really don't care which option you go for and don't really have a dog in this hunt.

How am I supposed to preemptively make my wishes that people not carry guns on my property? The law says they don't have to tell anyone. Am I supposed to ask everyone at the door? If I hang a sign, not only are they trespassing, but now they're in violation of the CC law. The state CC law offers no penalty for carrying where told not to without the presence of a clear sign at the entrance of the property.

As for the criminal element being deterred by the possibility of me owning a gun...that's hilarious. Like I said, we'll agree to disagree.

• Like 1

I'm explaining to you the way the law is written. IMO, it's a bad law because again, your right to carry a gun wherever you darn well please supersedes my rights as the property owner. And not just the right to carry the gun, but to conceal that you're carrying it!

Again, it's more than just simple trespassing, if I post the sign it's a greater charge that depending upon their behavior could also result in the forfeiture of their CC license.

• Like 2

I will talk to dh about asking people before entering their home. That seems reasonable, but it honestly would never have occurred to me (or him!) living in Texas since CC and gun ownership seems to be a common bond for most folks here.

... except in Austin.

Where we are not thrilled, either, about guns on campus.

• Like 4

How am I supposed to preemptively make my wishes that people not carry guns on my property?

You say, "hey just in case, I do not want any guns carried on my property. So if you have one, please don't bring it in my home." Or put a sign up.

The law says they don't have to tell anyone. Am I supposed to ask everyone at the door? If I hang a sign, not only are they trespassing, but now they're in violation of the CC law.

Wait. What? They have not broken any law just bc you hung a sign. If you tell them, "hey I know you have a gun and I don't want it on my property, so you need to either leave or put it somewhere not on my property." THEN they are trespassing bc you told them to get off the property.

The state CC law offers no penalty for carrying where told not to without the presence of a clear sign at the entrance of the property.

Well of course not. I could also put up a sign on the front of my yard saying, "speed limit 5mph" and there would be no penalty for people going 15-20mph bc I do not get to write laws just bc I own some property.

As for the criminal element being deterred by the possibility of me owning a gun...that's hilarious. Like I said, we'll agree to disagree. If I'm in danger, I'm calling 911. My county is even looking into text to 911. I'm not an LEO. I don't have their training. We'll look at getting out as safely as we can. No need to stand my ground.

Okay. I don't think you should own a gun either. I am very pro not making people have guns if they don't want them.

As for calling 911...

All the CC folks share the same joke. "When seconds matter, the cops are just minutes away."

But joking aside, I don't know any gun owner who wouldn't also call 911. It is not an either or thing for the gun owners I know.

• Like 3

OK, I understand now.  I just thought that your primary consideration was keeping guns out of your home and not prosecution after the fact, so I was trying to offer suggestions for doing that given your state's laws.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm explaining to you the way the law is written. IMO, it's a bad law because again, your right to carry a gun wherever you darn well please supersedes my rights as the property owner. And not just the right to carry the gun, but to conceal that you're carrying it!

Again, it's more than just simple trespassing, if I post the sign it's a greater charge that depending upon their behavior could also result in the forfeiture of their CC license.

That depends on state.

In MY state not only would ignoring a "no guns" sign not be a charge, it will not result in getting your license revoked or even looked at. Bc no law was broken. There's nothing to charge someone with.

Trespass *might* sorta depending on the situation.

Wait. What? They have not broken any law just bc you hung a sign. If you tell them, "hey I know you have a gun and I don't want it on my property, so you need to either leave or put it somewhere not on my property." THEN they are trespassing bc you told them to get off the property.

Well of course not. I could also put up a sign on the front of my yard saying, "speed limit 5mph" and there would be no penalty for people going 15-20mph bc I do not get to write laws just bc I own some property.

Except that I'm not making any rules or laws up, I'm following my state's CC law as written.

And I'll never have to live with killing the teen who left a drinking party and tried to hide on the porch so they didn't get in trouble (and poses no harm to me). I'll also never shoot and kill what I think is an intruder threatening me which then turns out to be my teenage daughter who snuck out of the house. I also won't have to worry about whether the police will think I'm the active shooter or the CC "Good Samaritan" who thought they were John Wayne in the Wild West.

I'll trade minutes away for never being responsible for ending another person's life.

• Like 8

Fellow boardies,it is with much trepidation that I respond to this post. Thoughtfully said it is a very relevant question because it illuminates clearly the conflict between civil manners and what the law permits as sometimes being quite contradictory. Having acknowledged that, I do carry concealed. Everyone that knows me ,knows this fact and if they were uncomfortable with my weapon in their home , I am pleased to leave it in my vehicle in a locked and secured case. that is my position with regard to carrying a concealed weapon into the home of another person. by law it is a relevant I am NOT legally bound to disclose nor am I legally bound by a sign on the property beyond the extent that if I am asked to leave I must do so or it is considered a criminal trespass. In a public setting however the simple fact that someone is perhaps made uncomfortable by the fact that I carry concealed is of no moment to me. I do not hide the fact nor mi braggadocio about it. it seems that in a home where there are small children or toddlers that may grab a holstered weapon it is an ideal time to educate them about why they must never touch a gun until they are of a certain age and they must always assume it is loaded and ready to fire. it scares me how many people have guns in the home and do not teach their children basic gun safety because the guns are always quote on quote locked up. I cannot imagine being ungracious enough to enter someone's home with a weapon if that person did not want a weapon in their home. I respect other people's wishes within the parameters of their own dwelling.

• Like 4

Except that I'm not making any rules or laws up, I'm following my state's CC law as written.

Then those are some screwy laws.

And I'll never have to live with killing the teen who left a drinking party and tried to hide on the porch so they didn't get in trouble (and poses no harm to me). I'll also never shoot and kill what I think is an intruder threatening me which then turns out to be my teenage daughter who snuck out of the house. I also won't have to worry about whether the police will think I'm the active shooter or the CC "Good Samaritan" who thought they were John Wayne in the Wild West.

Me either. Yay us?

I'll trade minutes away for never being responsible for ending another person's life.

You do that. No one is saying you shouldn't.

No decent gun owner ever wants to take another person's life.

They just want to protect themselves and those they care about from those who do.

• Like 3

I do not consider it appropriate to bring guns into a private home without the owner's permission.

Concealed carry does not necessarily mean the weapon is carried directly on the body. The owner can carry it in a purse or bag. Which can be set down and left unsupervised...with potentially fatal consequences.

No way.

I'm just going to agree with you.  No additions needed.

• Like 8

Here's an open carry story from GA that had me concerned:

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/cumming/2014/04/24/armed-man-fowler-park/8121285/

I'm really hoping that most gun owners don't equate "carry" to "stick loosely in the waistband of my jeans" and then go to a kids'  soccer game.  Couldn't someone just come up behind him and grab it?

Honestly that article reads as hysteria. Omg! A man doing nothing wrong is walking through the park! He has a lawfully attained gun and is exercising his rights to.. Walk? He isn't threatening anyone or acting dangerously.

A genuine question here:  The photograph was taken as he was leaving the park.  He was at a large soccer tournament for little kids.  The fields and stands were very crowded with kids of all ages bouncing around.  Is it really safe to carry that way (stuck in the back waistband) with crowds of little kids?  

I think the chance of one of the kids grabbing the gun would be too high.  It seems like an open carry law should at least suggest a holster or secure container for the gun. 

Why?

I don't have time to keep up with this thread and, honestly, I don't care much about the topic. We do own permitted guns, they are kept in a biometric safe and I am not permitted to carry. If I were permitted to carry, I can't say that I would carry on a regular basis anyway.

That said, the remark I was making about my SIL was meant to illustrate that many people who think they are anti-gun find themselves comforted that there is a person who has permitted guns and knows how to shoot in the event that their home safety is compromised. I certainly do feel this way. Where I live, assuming someone can get past our dog and security system, it is a secure feeling to know that we own guns and can use them. I hope there is never an event where I must make a decision to fire a gun in the direction of another human being. Pray not. But if there is such an event, I would rather be capable of defense than a sitting duck hoping the police hurry.

• Like 2

I don't have time to keep up with this thread and, honestly, I don't care much about the topic. We do own permitted guns, they are kept in a biometric safe and I am not permitted to carry. If I were permitted to carry, I can't say that I would carry on a regular basis anyway.

That said, the remark I was making about my SIL was meant to illustrate that many people who think they are anti-gun find themselves comforted that there is a person who has permitted guns and knows how to shoot in the event that their home safety is compromised. I certainly do feel this way. Where I live, assuming someone can get past our dog and security system, it is a secure feeling to know that we own guns and can use them. I hope there is never an event where I must make a decision to fire a gun in the direction of another human being. Pray not. But if there is such an event, I would rather be capable of defense than a sitting duck hoping the police hurry.

I guess that is why I am confused.  The DC Sniper wasn't engaging in home invasions.

• Like 3

As far as guns in my kids' friends' homes, I do ask. Every time.

If someone is defensive about telling me whether they have guns in the home and whether they're locked up and out of sight, they're not a good fit for unsupervised visits for my kids. End of story.

I met a new homeschooler in my area recently. While the moms were having coffee, her little (VERY little) boys were telling the other children about the many, many guns of many, many kinds that are stashed all over their house. Not stashed as in "locked," but in closets, under beds, behind the couch, in the kitchen cupboard.

Well, people don't wear signs announcing that they're crazy. Usually you have to ask.

Well I guess I just gotta get bold and ask.  I don't think it's an obnoxious question, but it's still difficult to ask. 

• Like 1

additionally it does come to mind that there may be some very borderline cases where one is invited by someone to a public place to a group gathering where they would likely have a valid argument about why one should leave one's weapon in a secure location rather than on the person giving the gathering and the fact that you we an invited guest. Goodness knows there are a million different scenarios in which good manners and civility for the feelings of other human beings must be taken into consideration far beyond what is legally acceptable or not an etiquette book should be written. any volunteers?

A genuine question here: The photograph was taken as he was leaving the park. He was at a large soccer tournament for little kids. The fields and stands were very crowded with kids of all ages bouncing around. Is it really safe to carry that way (stuck in the back waistband) with crowds of little kids?

I think the chance of one of the kids grabbing the gun would be too high. It seems like an open carry law should at least suggest a holster or secure container for the gun.

I was there. He didn't keep it tucked in his waistband. He let kids hold it. If it is hysteria to not want some idiot brandishing a gun and letting kids hold it at soccer practice, then I am hysterical.

• Like 4

You just be like me and not invite people over.  LOL

• Like 3

I had to go look up the gun laws to see what the law even is. Still in flux so that's not helpful. The not-a-state still wants no guns, of course, and everything they pass keeps getting shot down by the federal courts. When we moved here, you basically couldn't own most guns at all, much less carry them around. And extra much less into anyone's home. I mean, there was a complete handgun ban. I think you could have hunting type weapons, but most of those aren't going to be something you can easily conceal and carry. Honestly, that just seems easier than all this. I miss that law.

• Like 2

I read that in NY (minus NYC they have different laws) it's not impossible to get a permit to conceal carry, but you are required to have a compelling reason and the state maintains the right to ask (it was upheld in court cases where that was challenged).  I don't know what the compelling reasons would have to be, but then I just assume it's not super easy to get the permit.  I don't know all the ins and outs of when, where, how one is allowed to do that though.

Not in my home without my (or dh) permission. This is important enough to us that if we found that someone had brought a loaded weapon onto our property without asking us first, there would be no second time.

And we are not anti-gun. We own guns. Unloaded and secured. Others are not welcome to bring weapons on our property.

• Like 3

I can't imagine having to worry about this. I don't mind having guns in the house when I know the owners are responsible... But I wouldn't like them being here without me knowing that I need to keep an extra eye on my 3 yo.

Yes people carry medicines etc in their purse too. And yes friends 3yo was in hospital getting treatment for overdosing on something. So if anything that's just an argument for people to be more careful about their prescription medications.

Every gun owner I know says they are responsible. But a lot of them aren't really .

• Like 6

I was there. He didn't keep it tucked in his waistband. He let kids hold it. If it is hysteria to not want some idiot brandishing a gun and letting kids hold it at soccer practice, then I am hysterical.

Yikes.

I believe that here, that would run afoul of the law against "going armed to the terror of the people."

I would hope.

You know after I typed that I tried to remember the last time I "forgot" my weapon was in my handbag. It hasn't happened in YEARS.

Now that a friend of ours lost a teen to suicide, that's really something to consider. What if she'd somehow heard that I carried a weapon and gotten mine? And used it to do what she did?

As terrible as it's been already, I can't imagine how awful that would be to know that my carelessness played part in her death.

My husband's best friend had almost this exact thing happen last year.  

The friend had an adult cousin visiting for the weekend.

Dh and Friend left to do an errand and cousin stayed on the boat to take a nap (friend lives on a sail boat).

Friend came home later to find that cousin had got his hand gun out of his safe (I don't know if she found the key or knew the combination), and killed herself, on his bed with it.

This was an adult, who had suffered depression in the past, but everyone thought she was completely stable at that time in her life. The friend and cousin has spent the previous couple of days together and there was no warning signs that stood out.

He does CC.  He has a hand weapon because he feels he needs one in certain circumstances.  He is responsible with his weapons. The gun was licensed, legal and secured. He was distraught thinking that he had the gun for his own protection (which he has never needed), but it ended up being used in this way.  :0(

I read all the posts too, and I feel physically ill now. I'm with the Canadians. I just do not get it. 

Just my unedumacated guess, but it seems the attitude varies highly from place to place.  For example, I find that people who live in cities where homes aren't spread out far apart like the idea of guns less in general.  They associate guns with gangs.  They don't like the idea that their neighbor, whose home is so close they could touch it by hanging out of their window, might have a house full of guns.  But where things are far more spread out, or where there might be wildlife in one's back yard, the attitude is different.

That's a sweeping generalization for sure, but it seems to tend towards that after talking about it with people on-line over and over and over again for years. 

While I hate guns and wish they didn't exist, I can say that over the years I've come to understand the different views of them more and more.  Doesn't make me like guns more, but makes me understand the reasoning more.  I don't assume all gun owners are violent wackadoodles for having guns.

• Like 1

I can't imagine living somewhere this would be considered normal.  :crying:

I do ask people if they have guns in their home and if they are locked up well if my kids will be playing there, with or without us.  Some of dh's family has hunting rifles.  I'm in NJ, concealed or open, carrying guns is rare in public places unless it's law enforcement.

We live in a semi-rural area.  We have bears through our yard on a fairly regular basis, among other things.  Still don't feel the need for a gun.

• Like 4

Just my unedumacated guess, but it seems the attitude varies highly from place to place.  For example, I find that people who live in cities where homes aren't spread out far apart like the idea of guns less in general.  They associate guns with gangs.  They don't like the idea that their neighbor, whose home is so close they could touch it by hanging out of their window, might have a house full of guns.  But where things are far more spread out, or where there might be wildlife in one's back yard, the attitude is different.

That's a sweeping generalization for sure, but it seems to tend towards that after talking about it with people on-line over and over and over again for years. 

While I hate guns and wish they didn't exist, I can say that over the years I've come to understand the different views of them more and more.  Doesn't make me like guns more, but makes me understand the reasoning more.  I don't assume all gun owners are violent wackadoodles for having guns.

Oh, I get why people own guns. I hope someday to live rural, and I know full well that owning at least one gun will likely be a part of that lifestyle for purely practical purposes. My father bought his guns after he was threatened by someone at work. I don't understand why we need to be carrying them around in public like we live in the Wild West. Knowing that people around me could be packing heat does NOT make me feel any safer. It makes me feel like I'm caught in crosshairs I don't even know are there. 

• Like 3

In NJ you have to show the need for a handgun to get a carry permit:

Each application form shall also be accompanied by a written certification of justifiable need to carry a handgun, under oath, that specifies in detail the urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicantĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun.Where possible, the applicant shall corroborate the existence of any specific threats or previous attacks by reference to reports of such incidents to law enforcement.

You also need three references, proof of proficiency and knowledge of safe handling, and not have any disabilities or medical conditions that would disallow firearms.  And no felony convictions. And it has to be approved by the superior court.  And this needs to be done every two years.

Kind of a moot point here. There are no permits for concealed weapons here and handguns are really hard to get legally anyway.  I like it that way, but would rather they outright ban all handguns for anyone who isn't law enforcement.  If someone I knew trotted down my lane with any kind of gun, I'd be incredibly surprised.  But, then I'd probably call RCMP on them for armed trespassing and also tell them they're permanently unwelcome on my property ever again.  They'd definitely go on my permanent sh!t list.

• Like 8

I don't think you are making anything up but I sure am curious what state you are in. I would like to read your law myself to compare with Oklahoma law.

I'd be furious.

Not an enormous number of gun owners here in Massachusetts and concealed carry isn't  a common occurrence.

Not at all coincidentally, it is also one of the states where you are least likely to die by getting shot!

• Like 10