Menu

s/o Is it appropriate to take a concealed weapon into someone else's home

Amira

When I go to someone's house, I don't declare the contents of my pockets: wallet, phone, gun, whatever.  I don't see why any one item is so much more controversial than the rest.  

Really? Then let me spell this out for you: because a child who accidentally gets hold of a wallet or phone does not end up killing himself or another person.

I don't care whether you like guns or not or agree with my opinion, but I think even a gun owner could see WHY other people might find guns controversial.

• Like 37

Note to self:  Yet another reason to avoid organized religion.

It's Texas so I roll with it, but I think carrying a gun to church services is a little over the top. That being said someone shooting up a house of worship is not unheard of as we recently saw in Charlotte. This would be the reasoning given by the members of our congregation as to why they carry at church. I grew up in Arkansas and no one carried guns to church. It's just a different type of gun culture in Texas, but that's an entire other debate in itself.

• Like 1

No they don't. Never in history has a gun just fired on its own. It is ALWAYS caused by a person touching it in a certain way (whether they mean to cause that or not is a different question).

The ignorance on this thread is just depressing, but not at all surprising. Those of you in the US have certainly been in the presence of concealed pistols far more often than you are aware of, and somehow you live to tell about it.

When I go to someone's house, I don't declare the contents of my pockets: wallet, phone, gun, whatever. I don't see why any one item is so much more controversial than the rest.

Because your wallet and phone will not accidentally kill someone.

I have been around guns my whole life and am in no way ignorant about this topic.

In fact, I'm pretty damn well informed. I just do not agree with your opinion on the risk guns pose.

An amateur idiot with a knife may cause damage playing around, but is unlikely to kill someone unintentionally.

An amateur idiot with a gun, however, is a danger to all those around including himself.

• Like 13

No, I would be deeply offended if anyone brought a gun into our home without our knowledge. Especially with our young children being in the home but even without kids I would see it as terribly rude.

Thanks for posting this though because it had never occurred to me that conceal and carry laws allowed it in private residences! I'm thinking DH and I will be discussing how/where to post a sign prohibiting this somewhere in our home. We personally are pacifists and we really just do not do weapons of any kind. I'd hate to think anyone would feel free to bring a firearm of any kind into our home for any reason.

• Like 11

I have a friend who has a body harness and carries on her person most of the time, and I am fine with this.  It is not visible.  I would not want someone bringing a gun in their purse and then leaving the purse unsupervised.  This happened once when I hosted a kid bday party in my home - a family member brought a gun in her purse and left the purse sitting unsupervised in a bedroom where anyone could have gotten to it.  If you are going to conceal and carry, keep it on your person and in your control at all times.  Also, I do not want to see it, thus the conceal part.  I am wildly against open carry.

Yes, I am in Texas.  Yes, I am a gun owner.  Yes, I keep them unloaded and locked in a gun safe 24/7.  No, I do not have a conceal and carry permit.  Did I miss anything?

• Like 4

I know we had people who carried guns into the church I grew up with.  We had people shooting at the church and breaking our windows and certain people would leave to deal with the issue.

I am expecting we had people who carry in the church I attend now, though I don't know who they are.

Why should someone take their gun off to go into a church?

Many states allow churches to ban guns.  They don't have to have a sign posted at each church.  Unless the state allows CCW in all churches, you need to know which churches don't allow it. 

• Like 1

Really? Then let me spell this out for you: because a child who accidentally gets hold of a wallet or phone does not end up killing himself or another person.

I don't care whether you like guns or not or agree with my opinion, but I think even a gun owner could see WHY other people might find guns controversial.

:iagree:  This is why I don't have my conceal and carry license. I would have to carry in my purse because there is no where on my body I could carry and not have it show. I do NOT want a gun in my purse either in a locked box or out. My dh has his on him against his skin at all times so he is keenly aware where it is. If for some reason he has to take it off at someone's home, he will put it in our vehicle or he will put it in a gun safe (when we are staying overnight at his parents or my parents home). 

Also, we are members of a hillbilly church in Texas in a small town, and I have not been aware of anyone carrying at church.  No doubt there are some who carry, but I don't want to know about it or see it. If you have a conceal and carry permit, then you can conceal and carry and not break the law.  I do not feel the need to conceal and carry.    

• Like 1

I have a friend who has a body harness and carries on her person most of the time, and I am fine with this.  It is not visible.  I would not want someone bringing a gun in their purse and then leaving the purse unsupervised.  This happened once when I hosted a kid bday party in my home - a family member brought a gun in her purse and left the purse sitting unsupervised in a bedroom where anyone could have gotten to it.  If you are going to conceal and carry, keep it on your person and in your control at all times.  Also, I do not want to see it, thus the conceal part.  I am wildly against open carry.

Yes, I am in Texas.  Yes, I am a gun owner.  Yes, I keep them unloaded and locked in a gun safe 24/7.  No, I do not have a conceal and carry permit.  Did I miss anything?

My dh would agree with your bolded. He thought it was one of the dumbest things the Texas government has done in a LONG time.

It never even occurred to me to be upset if someone had a concealed gun in my house. I live in Texas so chances are very good I've been in contact with someone carrying. I know many of my friends have guns so there's a good chance someone has been in my house with a concealed gun. The point of concealed carry is that it is concealed. It's specifically not allowed to be visible.

This is my feeling, too, though I live in MD and it is harder than average to get licensed for CC here, so it is improbable that half our dinner guests would be toting lead.

Fun fact: I was considering getting a carry license until I learned that this is hard to do if you can't prove a probable need to defend yourself.

My DH conceal carries for work and I do think he gets so used to having it on him that it may not occur to him to take it off. He definitely wouldn't put a firearm on just to go to a friends house, but if he stopped by on his way home I don't know what he would do. The only time I know of him leaving it in a lockbox in the car is when he meets us at the pool after work. I'll have to ask him.

I assume people at least know it is a possibility he has a firearm on him, but no one has ever said don't bring it in my home. I hadn't thought about people bringing one to my home. I definitely wouldn't want someone bringing a loaded gun in a purse.

It's Texas so I roll with it, but I think carrying a gun to church services is a little over the top. That being said someone shooting up a house of worship is not unheard of as we recently saw in Charlotte. This would be the reasoning given by the members of our congregation as to why they carry at church. I grew up in Arkansas and no one carried guns to church. It's just a different type of gun culture in Texas, but that's an entire other debate in itself.

The shooting in Charlotte was not about a church being shot up. It was not an attack on Christians.

It was an attack on an assembly of black Americans. Period.

Violence visited upon non-minority congregations is rare. It seems disingenuous to use that as justification for promoting CC inside the church.

• Like 9

A gun in a purse left unattended would bother me. I would hope any cc holder would have more sense than that. A gun on their person I would feel is more secure. And I wouldn't assume anyone with a cc permit is an "amateur." Idiots with guns scare me. People who understand and respect what guns can do are more careful.

• Like 2

I was thinking people might have had them on their person for some other reason and made a stop at my house.  Once you have a gun on your person, as you go about your day, it's not like there are lots of good places to stash it while you go on a friendly visit.  It could be much more unsafe for a person to take out the gun and put it somewhere outside of his custody/view.

I agree, but part of the responsibility of CC is to have a safe way to secure it when you need to.  That could be at their own home or in others homes.  If you don't have a way to secure it, and the homeowner would prefer you not bring it in their home, then you just don't visit on that day.  I can not think of a single time someone came into my home, and sat on my furniture that was a visit so important that they could have not have talked to me on the porch, called me from their car or came over at another time when they were not CC. 

And to respond to a previous poster, a CC person, should ALWAYS be aware they are CC.  Just because they are used to it, doesn't give them the excuse of walking into someones home and forgetting they have it on.  Since I assume they wouldn't forget they area CC, then I assume they would know to ask me before they CC in my home.

Most CC people I know, have a way to lock it in their car.  Or, in the case of a friend who rode a motorcycle, or arrived at our house in someone else's car, they asked us to secure it. 

It is something that many people feed very strongly about, so asking the homeowner before you enter their home, seems like a good idea to me. CC is something quite different than just owning a weapon.  It is having a loaded weapon, within reach at all times.  Someone who owns weapons, still may not want someone to CC in their home.  Someone who does not own weapons, may have no problem with it.  If it is a woman (or a man) who has it stashed in a purse/bag etc, then the homeowner may want to just put it out of reach of the kids (instead of a nearby table), since it is not on the body of the person responsible for it.  

Not everyone who CC is ultra responsible with their weapon. Not everyone who CC, does so with the proper legal permission.  Just taking a class, doesn't make the person carrying it behave a certain way and everyone makes mistakes in judgement. Whether that be my 8yo who gets into someones purse, or the gun owner who forgets to secure their weapon appropriately. I would not want my daughters mistake to be on the same day as someone having a loaded weapon in my home.

FWIW...my father owned a sporting goods store and sold weapons before I was born.  His experienced perspective on owning weapons was one I grew up with.  My husband is licensed to CC. 

• Like 7

The shooting in Charlotte was not about a church being shot up. It was not an attack on Christians.

Violence visited upon non-minority congregations is rare. It seems disingenuous to use that as justification for promoting CC inside the church.

I understand why the kid shot up the church. But there have been other shootings at places of worship not predicated on race. Eighteen in the past 11 years if Google is accurate. There was one in Colorado at the New Life Church the year we lived in CO. I know that it is rare. I don't necessarily think people should carry in church. I am just sharing the rationale of those who do. In Texas it is not against the law to carry in houses of worship unless said house of worship has it posted not to do so.

• Like 1

I'm guessing opinions on this may have something to do with where people live, and how common guns are in those places, generally speaking. Growing up in Southern California, I wasn't exposed to guns much at all, and doubt I knew anyone who carried, or even owned a gun, other than law enforcement. Now living in Oklahoma, near some pretty rural areas, it seems to me it's a much more common occurrence, and, as such, the fact that people we know do carry a gun has been normalized some for me.

It's funny that this topic came up today because we were just visiting a family that is newer to our church, and went to their home. The husband asked my dh when we entered the home if he minded that he was carrying a gun on his person. My dh said it was okay, and the evening went on. I didn't even know about the conversation until we left. We had them over once before, I have no idea if he was carrying then or not, but I suppose he was.

Interesting factoid:  This shooting occurred in my hometown, in the neighborhood I grew up in - 

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/16/us/gunman-kills-7-and-himself-at-baptist-church-in-fort-worth.html

(Non minority congregation mass shooting.)

I was living in the same county at the time and knew people attending the church.  It did not make me want to conceal and carry.  

• Like 1

No they don't.  Never in history has a gun just fired on its own.  It is ALWAYS caused by a person touching it in a certain way (whether they mean to cause that or not is a different question).

The ignorance on this thread is just depressing, but not at all surprising.   Those of you in the US have certainly been in the presence of concealed pistols far more often than you are aware of, and somehow you live to tell about it.

When I go to someone's house, I don't declare the contents of my pockets: wallet, phone, gun, whatever.  I don't see why any one item is so much more controversial than the rest.  

The point is, the person in that home doesn't want the gun there. It is their home, so their rules. When in Rome and all that jazz. If I was going into a home where people hated say, phones, I wouldn't take my phone in. 

Also, yes, guns have to be used to be dangerous, and you might know how to properly use it, but the people in the home you are going into do not. A curious child digging into your pocket could cause incredible harm or death. 

Besides it's just rude to bring something into someone's house if they don't want you to. 

• Like 6

It appears that many states allow concealed carry on private property, including homes, unless the owner posts a sign stating otherwise or verbally states that guns aren't allowed. Even if it is legal for someone to carry a concealed weapon into someone else's home without asking, do you think it's appropriate to do so?

Actually, in my state those signs do not carry the force of law. I can conceal carry absolutely anywhere I want that the license permits. (Not in federal buildings or a public school for examples.)

However, should a proprietor or homeowner find out I have a gun on possession, they have the right to ask me to leave and I would be breaking trespass laws if I didn't. If I refuse to leave and the cops are called, I will face fines of up to $250. Around here a store owner is likely to just get a card saying "no guns = no money" to encourage them to remove the sign. I think it also has some concealed carry law facts and statistics on the back but I don't remember.

And really the right to concealed carry means I can conceal it and carry it. I'm under no obligation to disclose I have one on me to anyone who isn't law enforcement.

Now what personally irritates me are those bleepin gun purses for women. Actually holster carry or leave it at home in the safe. Please. :)

ETA: For clarity. I do not personally own a gun or have a license. Yet. But if I did, I doubt I would ever mention it to anyone. For the same reason I don't advertise where I keep important financial documents or what our bank account passcodes are or when we are going out of town. The best protection is to keep your mouth shut instead of handing people information that could allow access.

• Like 5

Not everyone who CC is ultra responsible with their weapon. Not everyone who CC, does so with the proper legal permission. Just taking a class, doesn't make the person carrying it behave a certain way and everyone makes mistakes in judgement. Whether that be my 8yo who gets into someones purse, or the gun owner who forgets to secure their weapon appropriately. I would not want my daughters mistake to be on the same day as someone having a loaded weapon in my home.

Seriously.

Do you know what is more dangerous than an untrained idiot?

An idiot who is trigger happy and trained.

• Like 13

A child getting hold of it has nothing to do with an adult carrying a concealed weapon.   Once the weapon is no longer on the body of the owner, it's a whole different discussion.

Because your wallet and phone will not accidentally kill someone.

An amateur idiot with a gun, however, is a danger to all those around including himself.

I'm only referring to the original topic - a concealed weapon in someone's home.  If the weapon comes out, it is no longer a concealed weapon, and there had better be a damned good reason it's out.  You're entirely right about idiots, but that's not the topic.  Hopefully we're not letting too many of those into our homes, whether they're armed or not.

• Like 3

Here's an open carry story from GA that had me concerned:

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/cumming/2014/04/24/armed-man-fowler-park/8121285/

I'm really hoping that most gun owners don't equate "carry" to "stick loosely in the waistband of my jeans" and then go to a kids'  soccer game.  Couldn't someone just come up behind him and grab it?

For my own home, yes, I'd like to be told.  If the person is LEO (or is a safe experienced gun user) and carries safely, I would be OK. But I think of the different, sometimes rather idiotic, service people we have through here, and I really wouldn't trust them around my family with a firearm.  I'd like to have a choice.

Yes, I don't honestly see what difference it makes. It's not like people carrying a concealed weapon are likely to whip it out in your house. I assume it would stay concealed just like a lot of other things nobody needs to know about under our clothes. ;)

This!

If the person is a responsible gun owner, the gun will remain in his/her possession. Responsible gun owners do not take their guns out and pass them around like their grand children's picture, or lay their gun unattended on the table.

• Like 4

Actually, in my state those signs do not carry the force of law. I can conceal carry absolutely anywhere I want that the license permits. (Not in federal buildings or a public school for examples.)

However, should a proprietor or homeowner find out I have a gun on possession, they have the right to ask me to leave and I would be breaking trespass laws if I didn't. If I refuse to leave and the cops are called, I will face fines of up to $250. Around here a store owner is likely to just get a card saying "no guns = no money" to encourage them to remove the sign. I think it also has some concealed carry law facts and statistics on the back but I don't remember.

And really the right to concealed carry means I can conceal it and carry it. I'm under no obligation to disclose I have one on me to anyone who isn't law enforcement.

Now what personally irritates me are those bleepin gun purses for women. Actually holster carry or leave it at home in the safe. Please. :)

So if I lived in your state there would be no way for me to keep a gun out of my home?  I couldn't even stand at my door and tell people I don't want concealed weapons in my home and expect that request to have legal backing- because I don't actually know if you have a weapon?  I guess I could just invite people over that I knew well enough to be sure they weren't carrying a weapon.

I have to say that I've never been a fan of CCW laws but I'm pretty appalled by some of the things I've learned about them today.  

• Like 11

The point is, the person in that home doesn't want the gun there. It is their home, so their rules. When in Rome and all that jazz. If I was going into a home where people hated say, phones, I wouldn't take my phone in. 

Also, yes, guns have to be used to be dangerous, and you might know how to properly use it, but the people in the home you are going into do not. A curious child digging into your pocket could cause incredible harm or death. 

Besides it's just rude to bring something into someone's house if they don't want you to. 

I think we agree more than disagree.  If someone said they didn't allow guns, I'd respect their property rights, but I think in the original topic it's assumed that the carrier hasn't asked.  

As far as a child digging in someone's pockets, a carrier has a responsibility to not allow that because they know what's in that pocket, but it seems rather unrealistic - I don't let my kids dig in anyone's pockets, and I've never had friends' kids do it to me.

• Like 4

No they don't. Never in history has a gun just fired on its own. It is ALWAYS caused by a person touching it in a certain way (whether they mean to cause that or not is a different question).

The ignorance on this thread is just depressing, but not at all surprising. Those of you in the US have certainly been in the presence of concealed pistols far more often than you are aware of, and somehow you live to tell about it.

When I go to someone's house, I don't declare the contents of my pockets: wallet, phone, gun, whatever. I don't see why any one item is so much more controversial than the rest.

It's a little odd to me, too. No, I haven't ever considered having dinner with friends whilst wearing a pistol in my pocket, but there are all sorts of surprising objects one might be carrying in his or her pockets or purse that are not benign if they were misused. Grandma had Oxycodon Rx in her purse after surgery, and I don't think it ever crossed her mind that a grandkid might eat it, KWIM?

Personally, if I were carrying, I would not put one open in a purse and then set the purse down willy-nilly. (I don't even carry a purse that would do this anymore, though.) It would be appropriately concealed and continuously on my person. However, I don't find anything horrifying about the thought that someone miht have a gun concealed on their person at my house. I don't get why that is being characterized as if it means certain death for any nearby people or kids.

Frankly, I've seen much more potential danger at parties with a pool and fifteen adults standing around drinking. Kids are running about the pool and the parents are oblivious to their children's safety. I have seen this scenario dozens of times.

• Like 6

I understand why the kid shot up the church. But there have been other shootings at places of worship not predicated on race. Eighteen in the past 11 years if Google is accurate. There was one in Colorado at the New Life Church the year we lived in CO. I know that it is rare. I don't necessarily think people should carry in church. I am just sharing the rationale of those who do. In Texas it is not against the law to carry in houses of worship unless said house of worship has it posted not to do so.

I didn't mean you personally; I get what you're saying.

It strikes me as being in the category of freaking out about a mom letting a ten year old ride a bike while wearing safety gear, inside a neighborhood with little crime, less than a half mile to get a snow cone because someone *might* kidnap him/her.

A church is at greater risk of sexual abuse, embezzlement, or fraud occurring within its walls than a premeditated act of violence, but the focus is on the statistical improbability.

• Like 3

A child getting hold of it has nothing to do with an adult carrying a concealed weapon.   Once the weapon is no longer on the body of the owner, it's a whole different discussion.

But concealed carry does not equal carrying it on one's body. Many women carry their gun in a purse - like the lady who got shot by her own toddler. Since apparently people can't even prevent their own kids from getting at their gun,  I have zero desire to have unsupervised purses containing loaded weapons sitting in my home.

Nor do I have the desire to find guns in the bathroom which the carrier had taken off and forgotten.. which, unconceivably, has happened even with police personel.

• Like 10

I think we agree more than disagree.  If someone said they didn't allow guns, I'd respect their property rights, but I think in the original topic it's assumed that the carrier hasn't asked.  

As far as a child digging in someone's pockets, a carrier has a responsibility to not allow that because they know what's in that pocket, but it seems rather unrealistic - I don't let my kids dig in anyone's pockets, and I've never had friends' kids do it to me.

:iagree:  This is how it falls for my dh. If you tell him or post that you don't want him carrying in your home. Fine. He either leaves it at home or places it in his vehicle for the duration of the visit. However if you don't tell him, he will not volunteer the information that he is carrying to you before he crosses your door because he is not required by law to do so.

• Like 3

A child getting hold of it has nothing to do with an adult carrying a concealed weapon. Once the weapon is no longer on the body of the owner, it's a whole different discussion.

I'm only referring to the original topic - a concealed weapon in someone's home. If the weapon comes out, it is no longer a concealed weapon, and there had better be a damned good reason it's out. You're entirely right about idiots, but that's not the topic. Hopefully we're not letting too many of those into our homes, whether they're armed or not.

Well I try not to, but you know how family is. :P

• Like 2

:iagree:  This is how it falls for my dh. If you tell him or post that you don't want him carrying in your home. Fine. He either leaves it at home or places it in his vehicle for the duration of the visit. However if you don't tell him, he will not volunteer the information that he is carrying to you before he crosses your door because he is not required by law to do so.

The law doesn't always cover manners and being a good guest.

• Like 8

If they're going to stay locked and concealed anyway you might as well lock and conceal them in your own home instead of in mine.

You might not think so if you find out an escaped criminal is on the loose in your neighborhood while I'm over for dinner with my pistol packed on my body. ;)

When the "D.C. Sniper" was at large in my area, my anti-gun SIL found herself suddenly very happy her dh hunts.

• Like 2

Here's an open carry story from GA that had me concerned:

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/cumming/2014/04/24/armed-man-fowler-park/8121285/

I'm really hoping that most gun owners don't equate "carry" to "stick loosely in the waistband of my jeans" and then go to a kids' soccer game. Couldn't someone just come up behind him and grab it?

For my own home, yes, I'd like to be told. If the person is LEO (or is a safe experienced gun user) and carries safely, I would be OK. But I think of the different, sometimes rather idiotic, service people we have through here, and I really wouldn't trust them around my family with a firearm. I'd like to have a choice.

I was thinking of this fruitcake: http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2015/06/01/man-says-he-was-harassed-while-carrying-gun-at-airport/28337871/

Sigh. Welcome to Georgia. (And white privilege, anyone?!?!)

• Like 4

I'm not going to read the other responses, but if someone came into my home with a weapon not only would they not be invited back, I would cut off all contact. End of relationship, no discussion. Absolute deal breaker. Just no.

• Like 9

I think what I find most frustrating about the CC issue is that the same people who are staunchly all about private property and the rights of people to maintain their property think nothing of limiting my right to deal with my private property (as in my home) as I see fit. Because I guess the only thing we need to be concerned about is the government when it comes to your own home and private property, apparently.

My state's CC law disallows CC on all government property automatically, but makes no such expectation for *my* home. Instead, the onus is on me and I'm sorry, but I don't care how responsible of a gun owner you think you are - it's not enough when it comes to my house, my property. You're welcome, your gun is not.

• Like 13

Full disclosure: DH has a concealed carry permit, which he acquired for a specific purpose for a business he was in several years ago.

What I cannot seem to understand is why some feel the need to be armed everywhere they go.  Do you really need to bring a handgun to your neighbor's BBQ?  A kid's birthday party?  If so, why?

I read on here once where someone mentioned making sure they had their gun with them when they went to Target.  My first thought was that if my shopping center was that dangerous, I would be definitely trying to find a new one.

• Like 12

You might not think so if you find out an escaped criminal is on the loose in your neighborhood while I'm over for dinner with my pistol packed on my body. ;)

When the "D.C. Sniper" was at large in my area, my anti-gun SIL found herself suddenly very happy her dh hunts.

We have guns.  We don't need someone carrying around a loaded one on our property.

• Like 4

I don't give any thought to concealed carry. If someone tells me they have a gun on them I'm going to have some questions, and I will forbid them from bringing it into my home, but I won't care that they lock it in their glove box or that they go through life with it as a regular thing.

Open carry, anywhere, makes me very nervous. It's not typically done in my state. Probably tons of people are armed but to show your gun is taboo for several reasons. If somebody wants everyone to see that he's got a gun in a peaceable indoor or crowded venue, that's somebody to watch in my neck of the woods. What are they trying to prove? (Rifles in a rack in a truck excluded from this judgment.)

Recently at a big box store (Walmart type but not Walmart) a man was walking around with holsters on both legs and on his hips. He had at least four handguns visible on him. Obviously not law enforcement, obviously not trained in carrying the guns in a way that they wouldn't just nearly fall out. My eyes were darting everywhere, to see if he was alone, to see who was watching him, to see how store personnel were reacting. I seemed to be the only one aware or troubled by it, God knows why, so I got all my kids together and we sidled on out the door.

I watched that guy the whole time, on my way out. He wasn't even buying anything. Just walking around like Robocop. If anybody comes to my house open carrying, I will get my kids to the other end of the house and call the police to escort them off the property. This is NOT normal here. It's threatening and suspicious behavior.

• Like 5

And what about the apocalypse???  

• Like 1

Sorry, but no. You, or anyone with a CC license in my state, does not make me feel safer. Now in addition to the sniper, I have to be concerned about you, too. Lovely.

Are you a trained sniper, too? How is a handgun protection against a sniper?

• Like 17

I didn't mean you personally; I get what you're saying.

It strikes me as being in the category of freaking out about a mom letting a ten year old ride a bike while wearing safety gear, inside a neighborhood with little crime, less than a half mile to get a snow cone because someone *might* kidnap him/her.

A church is at greater risk of sexual abuse, embezzlement, or fraud occurring within its walls than a premeditated act of violence, but the focus is on the statistical improbability.

Our church also has protections against sexual abuse, embezzlement and fraud. They were not being discussed in this conversation. And, like the concealed carry, I am not fully aware of the details. (well except for sexual abuse. I work in the children's department so I know the policies there better)

However, as mentioned above. The church I grew up in had people shoot at the church. We had bullet holes in the windows that happened during a service my parents were at. And it was not at all rare to leave services to find a window on a car had been shot out. So it doesn't feel like paranoia at all. Yes, they didn't enter the church and pull out a gun. But it was quite enough to make us feel not entirely safe that we had people periodically taking potshots at the building and the vehicles.  And since those bullets did go THROUGH the glass, they could just as easily have hit someone inside in a different circumstance.

I don't give any thought to concealed carry. If someone tells me they have a gun on them I'm going to have some questions, and I will forbid them from bringing it into my home, but I won't care that they lock it in their glove box or that they go through life with it as a regular thing.

Open carry, anywhere, makes me very nervous. It's not typically done in my state. Probably tons of people are armed but to show your gun is taboo for several reasons. If somebody wants everyone to see that he's got a gun in a peaceable indoor or crowded venue, that's somebody to watch in my neck of the woods. What are they trying to prove? (Rifles in a rack in a truck excluded from this judgment.)

Recently at a big box store (Walmart type but not Walmart) a man was walking around with holsters on both legs and on his hips. He had at least four handguns visible on him. Obviously not law enforcement, obviously not trained in carrying the guns in a way that they wouldn't just nearly fall out. My eyes were darting everywhere, to see if he was alone, to see who was watching him, to see how store personnel were reacting. I seemed to be the only one aware or troubled by it, God knows why, so I got all my kids together and we sidled on out the door.

I watched that guy the whole time, on my way out. He wasn't even buying anything. Just walking around like Robocop. If anybody comes to my house open carrying, I will get my kids to the other end of the house and call the police to escort them off the property. This is NOT normal here. It's threatening and suspicious behavior.

The open carry nonsense has me bamfoozled,

• Like 2