Menu

What do you add to your breakfast hash?

Note: Breakfast hash is not the same as hashbrowns (shredded or diced white potatoes pan fried). Breakfast hash is chopped veggies, sometimes meat, cooked together in one skillet. Sometimes and egg is fried on top right before serving.

For the past few months I am have been making breakfast hash 3-4 times a week. We love it but I want to add a bit more variety. I usually use sausage as the meat but have made it without any meat and just with plain ground pork.

I am currently working on just chopping up leftover veggies and adding them in. The other day I used sausage, one potato, one onion, garlic, bell pepper and tossed in the left over bean sprouts and bok choy from dinner the night before. It worked out really well and my son even commented how much he liked it. It was on a whim that I used the bean sprouts and bok choy but it worked!

What do you toss into your breakfast hash?

In my house mushrooms and zucchini are routinely added to the base onion, garlic, bell pepper mixture.  I also half some grape tomatoes and throw those in at the end- long enough to get hot but not so long that they get mushy. Sprinkle some shredded parm on top...heavenly. 

• Like 1

An omelete is a bunch of eggs beaten and cooked with filling inside. The only egg in hash is optional and fried on top of the hash and not beaten.

I am very confused by your comparison.

I've seen omelettes made at restaurants where they fry the meat and veggies in the pan before adding eggs. If you want to actually cook the veggies without over-cooking the eggs, it seems to be the only way to do it.

I'm confused by hash. ;)  If you add an egg on top, is it "scrambled" so it mixes in with the "hash" or is it an over-easy egg on top? 

I've seen omelettes made at restaurants where they fry the meat and veggies in the pan before adding eggs. If you want to actually cook the veggies without over-cooking the eggs, it seems to be the only way to do it.

I'm confused by hash. ;)  If you add an egg on top, is it "scrambled" so it mixes in with the "hash" or is it an over-easy egg on top? 

This   is what I picture when I picture breakfast hash.  :)  Yumminess.

• Like 3

I'm confused by hash. ;) If you add an egg on top, is it "scrambled" so it mixes in with the "hash" or is it an over-easy egg on top?

I prefer to steam my egg. I crack it open on top of the hash (after it is cooked), add a TBLS water and put the lid on it and let it cook for a couple of minutes. I used to fry it and serve on top. But without bacon grease a fried egg is just not the same.

Picture a bowl of oatmeal, but instead of oats it is veggies. Put one cooked egg on top and that is hash. My son prefers his yolk on the runny side and he cuts the egg up and mixes it before eating.

http://www.simplyscratch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Breakfast-Hash-.jpg

• Like 1

I usually make it with potatoes, sausage (sometimes I use smoked sausage) peppers, onion, and eggs.

I like to make it with corned beef but we never have left over corned beef. If I make more corned beef in order to have enough for the next day dh and dd just eat that too.

I don't make it very often, we usually just have eggs and fruit, or eggs and croissants, or eggs and oatmeal, or eggs and some other thing. :lol: 

I must live in a cave. Never heard of veggie hash, but it sounds delicious. Is it forbidden to add cheese?

I am imagining a heap of slow-cooked (caramelized) onions with mushrooms, diced tomatoes, and leafy greens and/or leftover veggies/broccoli. Bacon, ham, or sausage. I would probably add a sprinkle of cheese because my kids will eat anything with cheese on it. Peppers would be good, but we have an allergy here.

Are the veggies/meat hot enough to cook the egg on top? I expect I would chicken out and cook the eggs on the side.

Dh loves loves loves corned beef hash (from the can) but the smell of it makes me gag.

I must live in a cave. Never heard of veggie hash, but it sounds delicious. Is it forbidden to add cheese?

I am imagining a heap of slow-cooked (caramelized) onions with mushrooms, diced tomatoes, and leafy greens and/or leftover veggies/broccoli. Bacon, ham, or sausage. I would probably add a sprinkle of cheese because my kids will eat anything with cheese on it. Peppers would be good, but we have an allergy here.

Are the veggies/meat hot enough to cook the egg on top? I expect I would chicken out and cook the eggs on the side.

Dh loves loves loves corned beef hash (from the can) but the smell of it makes me gag.

You just drop the eggs on top and throw the whole thing into the oven until the eggs set.

I prefer to steam my egg. I crack it open on top of the hash (after it is cooked), add a TBLS water and put the lid on it and let it cook for a couple of minutes. I used to fry it and serve on top. But without bacon grease a fried egg is just not the same.

Picture a bowl of oatmeal, but instead of oats it is veggies. Put one cooked egg on top and that is hash. My son prefers his yolk on the runny side and he cuts the egg up and mixes it before eating.

http://www.simplyscratch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Breakfast-Hash-.jpg

Looks like what my fil used to make. He called it "fried garbage." He put some very weird things in his mixture - pretty much whatever he found in the fridge. 

Instead of hash, I do scrambles.  I mix the veggies and potatoes (sometimes leave those out), meat, whatever, and then add scrambled eggs.  Cook until done.  Top with cheese if I want.

My favorites are onions, mushrooms, spinach, and a chopped tomato with tiny red potatoes, topped with monterey jack.

If I add an egg, it's a scramble. Without the egg, it's hash. 

I always start with potato and/or sweet potato, onions and garlic. To that I like to add mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, if I have them. Anything after that is optional and subject to The Contents of the Fridge. Salsa, beans, guacamole, cheese, or gravy on top. Yum. 

I love breakfast hash (and it's perfect for my non-egg eating DH), but I only make it when I have leftover potatoes from dinner. Any tips for getting raw potatoes to cook well? Or does everyone start with leftovers?

Chop raw potatoes into very small pieces. I have taken and baked a potato the night before and added it in the morning. I prefer to that with sweet potatoes and any type of winter squash vs white potatoes.

Adding already cooked squash was a favorite this winter. Something about it just tied everything together.

• Like 1

I love breakfast hash (and it's perfect for my non-egg eating DH), but I only make it when I have leftover potatoes from dinner. Any tips for getting raw potatoes to cook well? Or does everyone start with leftovers?

Shred the potato, put it in a hot, oiled skillet. Add a few spoonfuls of water. Cook it , covered, till it's browned on the bottom. Flip it. Repeat. Add goodies.

I've never heard of breakfast hash. But, dare I say it? Too many foods touching!!!

It's also a great way to get in veggies which you posted about recently. So many veggies are improved by other flavors and a little fat (be that egg, meat or otherwise). Also a great way to try a little of a veg you don't like with more of a veg or other food you do like.

http://theflexiblefoodie.com/2014/11/11/sweet-potato-and-brussel-sprout-hash-with-fried-eggs/

A family favorite here is a dinner with baked potatoes, bbq pork (I usually get it from a local stand), cheese, sauce, come slaw. I always buy extra bbq and bake extra potatoes.

The next day, I make hash browns with onions and the left over bbq. Sometimes we top with cheese and bbq sauce. It's amazing.

Whatever I've got leftover that looks good. Kale and collards tend to be good, and we grow them in our garden, also we often have broccoli available which I like less well, but is more filling.  Sweet potato and white potato together since ds likes white not sweet, but I think sweet has more nutrition to it. Squash. Carrots. Cauliflower. Also some left over rice, oatmeal or other grain can be good especially if there is no potato to make it filling....   Ideally I'd probably use grits, but haven't had any in years.  I happen to adore fried okra, but am probably weird in that, also eggplant. again, I'm probably weird to think it is good.  Ds especially loves mushrooms in it.  In anything.  Chicken as a meat.

Apples go well with potatoes and onions, believe it or not.

I agree!  I've never had or heard of breakfast hash, and I'm too lazy to really cook in the mornings, but I fry up apples (granny smith's the best) onions, potatoes and sausage for dinner on a regular basis.  I never thought to add a runny egg on top, but I bet that would make it even better.

I skimmed the responses, but I like to toss cherry tomatoes, zucchini slices, and sliced mushrooms into the pan.  I may or may not add an egg to it.  When it's all cooked, I add some mozzarella cheese, and voila -- all the stuff I like about pizza without the carbs.

I also like broccoli, cheddar, and mushrooms, plus maybe ham and/or an egg.

Mushrooms and goat cheese are my other favorite, but I think that works better as an omelet.

I need to read this thread more thoroughly and get some more ideas!

I'm still a little unclear as to what, exactly, makes a dish breakfast hash, but another combo that we enjoy a lot in our house is:

Shredded brussel sprouts (Trader Joe's sells them already shredded), cooked with crumbled bacon, with a poached egg on top.  

We call it "hash greens" as opposed to "hash browns", and sometimes serve it with either fruit salad or french toast on the side.