Menu

What does "barbecue" mean where you are?

momofkhm

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA. A BBQ sandwich in that area is made with chipped, or chipped chopped ham (made famous by Isaly's). This very thin sliced ham is not found outside of "The Burgh" as far as I know. The sauce is some variation of Heinz ketchup and other ingredients, but as I recall, the simplest was made with ketchup and Coke!

My parents grew up in a little town outside Pittsburgh (Charleroi) and I remember visiting my grandparents as a kid and getting chipped chopped ham from Isaly's!  Gosh, that was in 1975!  I never had it as BBQ but it sure was tasty ham. 

Thanks for the blast from the past. g

I am so glad you ladies have educated me. I would have been seriously disappointed if we had been down south and had gone to someone's home expecting grilled meat with salads (what we always call BBQ here) and instead had pulled meat. At least now I know what to expect.

As for the dead horse, I didn't even think to mentally question that one because I have been to BBQ's around here where they actually did grill up horse meat. No I didn't ever have any.

• Like 2

I am so glad you ladies have educated me. I would have been seriously disappointed if we had been down south and had gone to someone's home expecting grilled meat with salads (what we always call BBQ here) and instead had pulled meat. At least now I know what to expect.

As for the dead horse, I didn't even think to mentally question that one because I have been to BBQ's around here where they actually did grill up horse meat. No I didn't ever have any.

Barbecue could also include, smoked brisket (the best  IMO)  salmon, turkey,  ribs,  turkey (yum)  mutton, lamb, chicken, salmon, pork, burnt ends (the other best thing IMO)  sausages (not grilled sausages, smoked) ham, venison..

If one says barbecue that doesn't mean it will be pulled meat. Barbecue can be anything really (and some places take particular enjoyment out of barbecue-ing anything. BBQ mutton is great) If we tell people we are having BBQ that usually means ribs or brisket. We have a smoker.

• Like 2

LOL. Does it help that most bbq's also have beer? Sometimes byob but usually hosts provide...

Also, I've made mental note to decline invites to bbq in the US as I gather they're not v*g friendly :p   

Yep, I forgot the beer.  And SWEET tea!

And no, barbeque would not be very v*g friendly around here.  Sorries!

• Like 1

I'm shuddering at the thought of barbecue being a synonym for Sloppy Joes.

And this is what prompted my question.  My MIL serves us WI barbecue.  And it's sloppy joes.  I was wondering if anyone else called bbq that.  But the fact that she calls it Wisconsin bbq I guess shows that she  knows it's not what we call bbq down here.  (She lives a mile from me now.)

• Like 1

I don't understand what you people are grilling hot dogs for. Everyone I've ever heard of boils them. I'm getting to think this is another dialect difference and that word doesn't mean what I think you mean.

We boil and grill hot dogs in this house.  Grilled dogs are better.

Are we calling the same things hot dogs?  http://ballparkbrand.com/#!/products/beef-franks

Complete with grill marks in the picture.

• Like 2

I don't understand what you people are grilling hot dogs for. Everyone I've ever heard of boils them. I'm getting to think this is another dialect difference and that word doesn't mean what I think you mean.

I never boil hot dogs, but I'm not unfamiliar with the concept.  Some places deep fry them.  I usually grill or pan fry them. 

And this is what prompted my question.  My MIL serves us WI barbecue.  And it's sloppy joes.  I was wondering if anyone else called bbq that.  But the fact that she calls it Wisconsin bbq I guess shows that she  knows it's not what we call bbq down here.  (She lives a mile from me now.)

**groan**....talk about disappointing.  LOL

• Like 1

:(

There are only 2 good reasons for boiled hot dogs.

One is being hungry while walking through Manhattan, and the other is having kids set on hot dogs when the grill is frozen shut.

• Like 4

When we moved to northern Illinois, I really missed what we called Barbecue in the south-  meat that was smoked for a long time, sliced or pulled, and had BBQ sauce on it.  I mentioned to a friend that I really missed it and she said she makes it all the time. Knowing she was a crummy cook, I asked her to elaborate and she described sloppy joes. I told her that was sloppy joes and she had never heard it called that. And had never heard of what I called BBQ. Weird regional difference!!

Weird - and depressing - regional difference!  At least after the first time one is prepared for it, but that first time - ugh!

I am sad at what means "barbecue" in some areas.

Some of y'all are tragically deprived.

The only good thing about it is it can lead to some of our travels.  We've yet to find good BBQ (real BBQ - slow cooked meat) in our area, so when we get a hankering for it we need to plan another trip south.  Hubby grew up with Eastern NC BBQ, so most trips are to his hometown.  It takes us 7 hours to get there, so we spend an overnight and enjoy his favorite breakfast diner too - it serves tenderloin biscuits and grits with red eye gravy.  Then we bring some BBQ back home with us to tide us over for a bit.

If we're heading elsewhere, we also love places like Sonny's or Famous Dave's, but will often look for a local mom & pop place if we can find one and aren't in a hurry.

I'm shuddering at the thought of barbecue being a synonym for Sloppy Joes.

Shuddering is one word for it...

I'm glad you started this thread.  I knew quite a few of the regional differences, but nowhere near all.  I also never knew any other place called Sloppy Joes BBQ, so now I can beware when we head those directions.

• Like 1

OH wait, Salmon too! You can have barbecue with salmon covered in barbecue sauce. A local restaurant does one that has bourbon in the sauce and it's quite good.

So, fish is also included in barbecue.

Typically, homemade potato salad is also inextricably linked to barbecue in this area. I don't know why. It just is.

• Like 1

If invited for BBQ I would expect smoked meat that has been cooked at a low temperature for a long time. It can either have a dry rub (preference) or sauce.

If people are grilling they say, "Hey, come over we will throw something on the grill."

I lived in KC for a long time and calling grilled things "BBQ" is a serious faux pas. People either call it, "grilling," or "BBQ" but the two are not interchangeable.

This. 100%. But I'm also from kc. :-)

• Like 2

Because they are so much better when they are cooked anyway besides boiling. I will qualify that as I pretty much only eat them if we are outside around a campfire and there is a stick in my hand.

• Like 1

I think you lot eat hotdogs because you don't eat proper snags. Hotdogs (known here as frankfurts) are awful. Snags are beaut! Specially with deadhorse, which is much nicer than your too-sweet version, ketchup. Snag and deadhorse, with onions in a bit of bread. Perfect. Wash down with beer or wine.

Now sit down because I'm going to let you in on the reason why an Aussie BBQ is the best ever.......

Wait for it.........

The MEN do all the cooking! Yes really. And clean the BBQ after. Its a national ritual. No women allowed. We aren't stupid enough to fight for equality on this issue.

• Like 1

The MEN do all the cooking! Yes really. And clean the BBQ after. Its a national ritual. No women allowed. We aren't stupid enough to fight for equality on this issue.

???  The men do all the BBQ cooking in my family too - whether the BBQ is slow cooked meat or grilling.  When we go camping, the guys do all the cooking and cleaning and I get a complete break from everything except buying the food and plotting the menu.

Women do the Sloppy Joes, so that may be another reason why it isn't real BBQ.

• Like 6

It's the prep work in the house I'd like to avoid. I do love me some pulled pork, and I love to have it smoked, but that entails hoisting around the sloppy pork shoulder, stabbing it all over with a sharp meat fork, then applying my secret dry rub, wrapping the monster and refrigerating it overnight, then smoking it, then finishing it in the oven, then waiting for it to cool and picking it after it has rested in the paper bag, then applying the BBQ sauce, then cleaning up the pans and the kitchen for the second time in two days.

The outdoor part of that might take three hours, but it's time spent sitting on the deck with ice tea or lemonade and a good book.

It's the prep work in the house I'd like to avoid. I do love me some pulled pork, and I love to have it smoked, but that entails hoisting around the sloppy pork shoulder, stabbing it all over with a sharp meat fork, then applying my secret dry rub, wrapping the monster and refrigerating it overnight, then smoking it, then finishing it in the oven, then waiting for it to cool and picking it after it has rested in the paper bag, then applying the BBQ sauce, then cleaning up the pans and the kitchen for the second time in two days.

The outdoor part of that might take three hours, but it's time spent sitting on the deck with ice tea or lemonade and a good book.

And all of this except buying the meat is a male job in my house.

I roast meats (turkey, chicken, lamb, beef, etc), but anything with pulled or BBQ or grilling (even hot dogs) is a male duty from start to finish.

Perhaps I'm spoiled... ;)

• Like 1

The only boiled hot dogs I've ever tasted are those that are put in with the boiling noodles for macaroni and cheese.  Around here, hot dogs are microwaved, cooked on stovetop, or on the grill.

• Like 1

While we're aware of what the word means to those in serious BBQ states, here it's used to mean grilling meat outdoors. People use barbecue, grill out, and cook out to all mean the same thing.

I've never heard of it meaning sloppy joes until just now reading this thread.  :confused1:

We do both. We don't usually grill just hot dogs because it's a lot of work getting the grill going for only hot dogs. It's usually when other meat (mostly hamburgers) is being grilled that someone will also throw some hot dogs on too. Hot dogs and hamburgers go together in many parts of the U.S. If you've never had hot dogs cooked on a grill you've missed out on that crunchy charred goodness that is a grilled hot dog. :)

Rosie, we don't boil here. We do grill them. Now in the summer, that's over the fire in the fire pit. In the winter it can be quasi grilled, ie...under the broiler in the oven, or it can be truly grilled by using our exterior wood boiler that heats the house.

We are intellectually aware that there are people that boil them, but in our local culture this would be an affront to the hot dog. Hot dogs must always be blackened by strong heat or flame, LOL!

Where I grew up in Alabama bbq means pork roast, usually Boston butt, or ribs slow cooked over fire with a dry rub and possibly finished with a tangy sauce. You can also have bbq chicken but it is always called bbq chicken, never just bbq. Other things cooked on a grill are just grilled, and having people over for grilled things and sides is a cookout.

Here in central Florida some people know the true meaning of bbq, but we have a lot of transplants from up north who seem to think it means anything cooked on a grill. I've learned not to have expectations.

• Like 1

Bbq- pulled pork with a mustard base sauce, usually served with hash and rice, coleslaw, plain rolls, banana pudding, and sweet tea. Some places/people also serve grilled corn and chicken with bbq sauce.

Cookout- hamburger and hotdogs grilled and served with chips, fruit salad, and various desserts. Depending on the setting, beer is frequently involved.

If someone is grilling steak, chicken, or shrimp, it will usually be mentioned by name.

In the winter time we boil them. In the summer they are either grilled or over cooked over a campfire on a stick. We do a lot of campfires around here and a lot of black hotdogs. In the winter there is the odd hardcore BBQ'er who will pry open the grill at -40 to keep grilling the meat.

I feel this video explains the differences in BBQ within the US of A quite nicely:

I was going to post this, too. Here, if someone just says BBQ, I assume pulled pork (occasionally beef cooked the same way) with BBQ sauce on it. if they say they are having a BBQ, I assume they are not from around here and are grilling food.

BTW, I HATE the fact that white sauce was chosen to represent my state. That stuff is gross. :ack2:

• Like 1

Pulled pork in a mustard based sauce (central SC here). We know about the inferior tomato and vinegar based sauces and roll our eyes at those who order them.

Grilling out or cooking out is preparing meat for consumption on a grill.

I have never heard of this sloppy joes thing until now and I am very disappointed.

I have never heard of this sloppy joes thing until now and I am very disappointed.

Join the crowd.  There's not a single form of true BBQ that I've eaten anywhere in our travels and been totally disappointed - except here in our hometown area when we get Sloppy Joes called BBQ.

I love Eastern and Western NC, SC/GA (had mustard based there too), TX (both with and without sauce), VA, TN, MO, and even HI (Kailua Pork anyone - YUM! Even if they don't actually call it BBQ it's still slow cooked meat.)  The dry rubs are my least favorite, but not what I would remotely call disappointing.

Sloppy Joes?  Just give me a burger instead.

• Like 2