Menu

if you have a small bathroom in which you also take a shower....

ProudGrandma

where do you hang your towels so they are dry by the next time you want them?  Hooks just don't work in our home...they have to actually be on a bar....but we have VERY little space in our bathroom.

There is one spot (above the toilet) that would hold a towel bar, but to me it then looks like a hotel room.  We JUST remodeled our bathroom and the last thing I want is our bathroom to look like a hotel room...or worse, a dorm room or bachelor pad (by hanging the towels over the shower curtain...which was a suggestion of my husband). 

There is the back of the door, but I have yet to talk my husband into using that space.  So we have 2 stubborn minds clashing here....I don't want the back of the toilet and the shower curtain and he doesn't want the back of the door.  

So, before either on of us have to give in here, I wanted to explore any other options I might be over looking.  We really only need space for 2 bath towels. 

Or maybe it's the kind of towels we are using...that they won't dry out on a hooks (vs a bar).  Could that be the case?  If so, what other options do we have.  I will be buying new towels anyway.

And, this is now...the driest part of the year...in the summer it is very humid...and it will be worse, rather than better.

please help me brainstorm.

thanks.

We've had five people sharing a small bathroom quite often.  Having people keep their towels in their own bedrooms helps once everyone remembers to bring his towel along with his clean clothes. They hang them on a hanger in their closet.

There are definitely towels that dry more quickly than others.  The thinner and lighter they are, the better.

We hang our towels over the backs of kitchen chairs after a shower at night, and one of my first morning chores is to fold them nicely and place them in a stack on the floor of the bathroom by the shower/bath.  There is a bar in the bathroom on the wall that the door opens to, but it only holds 2 towels, and we have 5 people using the bathroom, so I have a couple on the bar usually, but most people use the folded ones on the floor.  We are not fussy about using any towel, but if we wanted to know whose was whose, I guess we could either embroider names on them, or use a different colour per person.

My bedroom closet. My husband hangs his on the closer door: I hang mine on a hook inside.

You might want to look for Turkish towels on etsy or similar. They are thin cotton but, I have read, soft and super-absorbent. A blogger I used to follow raved about them for a similar situation--small bathroom, multiple users.

I have a rod over the toilet, a hook on the opposite wall (too narrow for a rod because the door opens to that wall), and a rod on the shower door.

This space just holds the shower and the toilet.  It's closed off from the sink area, which you must walk through to get to the closet.

I guess it does look like a hotel.  But the towels are striped, mostly red, so they don't look like hotel towels at all.  That helps.

Or maybe, all the nicest hotels are modeled after my bath!  Haha!

where do you hang your towels so they are dry by the next time you want them?  Hooks just don't work in our home...they have to actually be on a bar....but we have VERY little space in our bathroom.

There is one spot (above the toilet) that would hold a towel bar, but to me it then looks like a hotel room.  We JUST remodeled our bathroom and the last thing I want is our bathroom to look like a hotel room...or worse, a dorm room or bachelor pad (by hanging the towels over the shower curtain...which was a suggestion of my husband). 

There is the back of the door, but I have yet to talk my husband into using that space.  So we have 2 stubborn minds clashing here....I don't want the back of the toilet and the shower curtain and he doesn't want the back of the door.  

So, before either on of us have to give in here, I wanted to explore any other options I might be over looking.  We really only need space for 2 bath towels. 

Or maybe it's the kind of towels we are using...that they won't dry out on a hooks (vs a bar).  Could that be the case?  If so, what other options do we have.  I will be buying new towels anyway.

And, this is now...the driest part of the year...in the summer it is very humid...and it will be worse, rather than better.

please help me brainstorm.

thanks.

I take my shower at night; Mr. Ellie showers in the morning. I hang my towel over the shower curtain rod when I'm finished; Mr. Ellie folds it (in thirds, of course, lol) and hangs it on the towel bar when he gets up, and hangs *his* towel on the shower curtain rod; when I get up, I fold *his* towel and hang it on the towel bar.

I would go with the towel bar over the toilet. No one else will think that it looks like a hotel room, because it will be obvious that it's a small room and that's the best place for a towel bar. You could get one like this. And it would probably only really look like a hotel room if you had one that had a shelf above the towel bar, KWIM?

In one house, we used a towel rack that hung on the back of the door, like this.

My children have an over the door hanger with hooks on their bathroom door. It doesn't damage/affect the door if that's an issue.  They each have one their bedroom doors also.

I use a clean towel for every shower. So the towel would go into laundry basket.

me too.  :001_smile: Hubby, not so much. His towel just stays wherever his throw lands them. Definitely not a good solution  :001_rolleyes:

You can also sew loops of ribbon on the corner of the towel and hang from the hook by the ribbon  With the towel just hanging straight (not doubled over on the hook) our towels dried quickly.

Using two hooks, as separated as you can, helps also.  Would work great with this nice ribbon trick.

Is this your master bath or main bath that everyone uses?  If it is the master, I wonder how many times per day you use the room so that you will even see where the towels are hung.  Hotels put the rod there, because it makes sense to put it there. I wouldn't think about the fact that it looks like a hotel as much as everything is in a useful and logical place. 

We keep clean or reusable bath towels in the bedrooms. Kids have a wall hanging hook thing near their closet, ours will have rods on the bedroom side of the bathroom door once I get it put up (in process of painting). I don't keep clean (or clean-ish) towels in the bathrooms. There's a hook in the bathroom for when you are actually in the shower.

Towel racks in bedroom. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VKX5W2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is much smaller, but can handle a couple of towels.http://www.amazon.com/IMAX-7781-Narrow-Quilt-Rack/dp/B002NJA272/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_y

I have both (in different rooms), and they work marvelously.

Growing up, my mother put a regular towel bar in each bedroom.

If possible, look for towels that claim to dry quickly. Some of the really luxurious, thick ones can remain damp all day long. We found some of the former at either Target or BB and Beyond when shopping for son's dorm.

Ironically, we had a horrible problem with the Target dry quick towels never drying. I put those in the "get a towel and clean up this mess!" basket and bought some of the really thick ones from Costco. They actually dry better, or they don't get as saturated in the first place.

We have a towel rack on the wall behind the bathroom door, or,hooks rather. Plus we have hooks,on the back,of the door. DH showers at night, puts his towel on the shower curtain rod to dry. I shower in the morning and put DH tpwel on a hook and put my towel on a different hook when I get out of the shower. The hooks have to be far enough apart for the towels to dry.

I would not ever want a towel rack over the toilet for more reasons than I care to type out. But just no.