Menu

Stop the oil madness!!

Moxie

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not JUST a grape. It is Special. This is why you need educating.

Lol! :)

Bach's Rescue Remedy worked for my thunder-anxious dog, but it's flower essences and fairy dust, not anything as mundane as oil. ;) I use EOs for cleaning, and I have used some for relaxing or headache type things.

hahaha I watched a Dr talking about the new oil users and putting everything on their feet. He is an advocate for oils but adamantly states to put them where you need them.

This is just one quote. I have seen the idea that they can be absorbed through the skin and do anything be totally ridiculed on this board before. Not going to search for it. And it wasn't just whether they had legitimate healing properties. Just that even if they did they couldn't possibly do anything by rubbing on the feet.

This is just one quote. I have seen the idea that they can be absorbed through the skin and do anything be totally ridiculed on this board before. Not going to search for it. And it wasn't just whether they had legitimate healing properties. Just that even if they did they couldn't possibly do anything by rubbing on the feet.

I am an oil user. I choose to use oils differently and directly instead of lathering up our feet.

I do believe you are missreading posts and ruffling your tail feathers a bit when in truth others aren't truly against essential oils. They just choose to use different practices.

I'm sorry your mode of application's feelings are hurt.

I am an oil user. I choose to use oils differently and directly instead of lathering up our feet.

I do believe you are missreading posts and ruffling your tail feathers a bit when in truth others aren't truly against essential oils. They just choose to use different practices.

I'm sorry your mode of application's feelings are hurt.

Wow. I was not up in arms. I was asking a question that had been bugging me since I usually read these EO threads. Like I said it wasn't really in this thread. Just something I've head around here a lot and didn't make sense to me. I wasn't even upset. But your response was rude IMO.

I'm personally skeptical about both (whether they can be absorbed through the skin, and if they have any beneficial properties). But I just wanted to ask you (and everyone), is this a common recommendation, to put them on your feet? The skin on your feet is the thickest skin on your body. It seems like a highly illogical place to put them if the goal is to get them absorbed into your bloodstream. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

The biggest reason why oils are not used much in the medical community is because they already have meds that do the same thing and are more consistent and usually stronger and easier to control. I have kept a few specific oils around for years to use in a pinch and have had both doctors and vets compliment me on my use of natural products to deal with things until a vet or doctor could get to them.

I do NOT think they are the end all and be all and I cringe over people that push them as though oils are what will save the world from all disease. I do think they are great for minor things and to help lesson how much one might need to see the doctor because one can deal with things himself.

I don't have any oil friends on FB. I DO have jamberry, shakeology, ACN, Amway, and Crossfit friends, so there's no MLM hole in my life.

I miss so much by not having a FB account!   :tongue_smilie:  I'm woefully uneducated in all of these things - except I have heard of Amway, but not recently.

I'm too lazy to google any today.  Maybe next time when health issues start bothering me more I'll consider it.  ;)

I miss so much by not having a FB account!   :tongue_smilie:  I'm woefully uneducated in all of these things - except I have heard of Amway, but not recently.

I'm too lazy to google any today.  Maybe next time when health issues start bothering me more I'll consider it.   ;)

Jamberry is fingernail wraps, which aren't health related unless you're really getting stressed out about wanting to paint designs on your fingernails.

I just discovered this a couple of weeks ago, and now I feel so clued in!  My FB friends are all about Juice Plus (which name I couldn't even remember because I blocked all of those posts), but I met someone in real life who is a Jamberry person.

Jamberry is fingernail wraps, which aren't health related unless you're really getting stressed out about wanting to paint designs on your fingernails.

I just discovered this a couple of weeks ago, and now I feel so clued in!  My FB friends are all about Juice Plus (which name I couldn't even remember because I blocked all of those posts), but I met someone in real life who is a Jamberry person.

I'm sure the ponies on our farm would be very impressed if I were to start painting designs on my fingernails!  It might help with planting the garden this spring too.

Thanks for the info about Jamberry!  I can cross that off my list without even having to google it now. ;)

I don't have any oil friends on FB. I DO have jamberry, shakeology, ACN, Amway, and Crossfit friends, so there's no MLM hole in my life.

Oh geez, what it is it with Crossfit people and Facebook?  I refer to it as a cult, but you are right that it has a lot in common with MLM.  I laugh when my FB friend refers to herself as a "masters athlete."  "Hon," I want to say, "your sport is exercise."  The best is when she invites people to watch Crossfit games in which she and other "masters athletes are competing.  Who would EVER want to do that?  I have a swimmer--I have a high threshold for boring, and that is waaaaaaay past even my threshold.

I'm sure the ponies on our farm would be very impressed if I were to start painting designs on my fingernails! It might help with planting the garden this spring too.

Thanks for the info about Jamberry! I can cross that off my list without even having to google it now. ;)

Well now I have this image of a pack of ponies with jamberried hooves.

Oh geez, what it is it with Crossfit people and Facebook?  I refer to it as a cult, but you are right that it has a lot in common with MLM.  I laugh when my FB friend refers to herself as a "masters athlete."  "Hon," I want to say, "your sport is exercise."  The best is when she invites people to watch Crossfit games in which she and other "masters athletes are competing.  Who would EVER want to do that?  I have a swimmer--I have a high threshold for boring, and that is waaaaaaay past even my threshold.

:lol: :lol: Yes! A million times, yes!

ps  Making money off of these things IS the goal, right?  I just need to get my ponies to agree to look like little darlings for a photo op, then mention all the benefits I see and offer to sell the stuff?  Do I have to buy the stuff first, or can I make it myself?  I'm guessing I need an exotic sort of name too - or at least a catchy one.

Oh geez, what it is it with Crossfit people and Facebook? I refer to it as a cult, but you are right that it has a lot in common with MLM. I laugh when my FB friend refers to herself as a "masters athlete." "Hon," I want to say, "your sport is exercise." The best is when she invites people to watch Crossfit games in which she and other "masters athletes are competing. Who would EVER want to do that? I have a swimmer--I have a high threshold for boring, and that is waaaaaaay past even my threshold.

This.

Ahh, but this will be different.  This will be healthy glitter hoof salve. (Does it sound better to be a salve?)

A salve sounds like it could have essential oils in it, so I'd go with that.

Which essential oil would be appropriate for having your pony become a unicorn?  I'm pretty sure that's what you need.

A salve sounds like it could have essential oils in it, so I'd go with that.

Which essential oil would be appropriate for having your pony become a unicorn? I'm pretty sure that's what you need.

Oh yes! There must be some implied promise that your average pony will sprout a silver horn, or perhaps wings. Or maybe both! My Little Uni-pega-pony!

Hornblower, those floral painted hooves are actually quite pretty.

I'm too lazy to google any today.  Maybe next time when health issues start bothering me more I'll consider it.   ;)

You're not missing too much, creekland.

I have this horrible desire to post the following:

"I woke up this morning feeling like I was going to come down with the flu. . .

I didn't use any essential oils,

And I got better! I can't believe it!"

Tempting. . .tempting. . . .

i hate the MLM of ...well most anything MLM lol but I especially hate the fervor it creates around EO's b/c they are helpful for some things, but not all, but you'd never know b/c peopel are repulsed by the fervor, the selling, the expense, etc. 

I do use an oil on my attention-challenged son with very positive results.  And i seem to use Eo's daily for one reason or the other. Sometimes just to mix perfumes, even.  But I have my personal favs from all sorts of companies.  And, IRL, I tend to not make it a part of my daily conversation b/c around here there are over zealous people who are ruining it.

My ADD son is very allergic to scents.  I think that would counteract any possible benefit.  

On a serious note - please please do your homework before using any EO's on pets.  Tea tree oil for one, is toxic to cats and dogs if too much is used.  In very dilute amounts (.1%) it can be used in some flea treatments but note the decimal point there before the 1).  I prefer to be safe and not use it on them at all.  

My theory--oil companies would get in trouble if they marketed a cure for ADHD/headache/anything. But, if they slip that message to the Mommies selling it and the Mommies tell other Mommies, well, the company had nothing to do with that (except reap the profits).

Really, I guess my issue is more with MLM companies.

AND, drug companies own enough lawyers and politicians that they could put a patent on milk if they were so inclined.

Coke has.  ;)

At least rhubarb tastes delicious.

Muscadines are bad. They are just really really bad. We tried them at a farmer's market and we all spit them out. They are spit them out bad.

They sound nasty.

I do love rhubarb, especially rhubarb crisp.  Mmmmmm.

From what I remember about the wine, it tasted more like schnapps but was thin like wine.  My dad liked to make stuff like that, just because.  :tongue_smilie:

Ok, say what you want about essential oils and wrapping paper for your nails but leave muscadines out. I looooove muscadines. My grandmother had them growing in her backyard and we used to hide in our muscadine fort for hours eating them and seeing who could spit the seeds farthest. I missed the part where they cure cancer or something. Is that the Bach cure or something? My fb friends are clearly failing me.

Ok, say what you want about essential oils and wrapping paper for your nails but leave muscadines out. I looooove muscadines. My grandmother had them growing in her backyard and we used to hide in our muscadine fort for hours eating them and seeing who could spit the seeds farthest. I missed the part where they cure cancer or something. Is that the Bach cure or something? My fb friends are clearly failing me.

I was thinking the same thing!

I love muscadines!  When I was a child, we used to visit an older lady who had vines in her backyard.  I loved eating those grapes (well, just the insides -- not the skin!)  

I bought some muscadines recently, for my kids to try.  They did not care for them. :(

I love muscadines! When I was a child, we used to visit an older lady who had vines in her backyard. I loved eating those grapes (well, just the insides -- not the skin!)

I bought some muscadines recently, for my kids to try. They did not care for them. :(

Kids these days! ;)

I love muscadines! When I was a child, we used to visit an older lady who had vines in her backyard. I loved eating those grapes (well, just the insides -- not the skin!)

I bought some muscadines recently, for my kids to try. They did not care for them. :(

Maybe the haters ate the skin...

I do agree muscadine wine is nasty. It's not usually made by award winning vintners though. ;) Muscadine jelly is good!

At least rhubarb tastes delicious.  NO it doesn't!  Rhubarb should never go on the tongue! 

Muscadines are bad. NO they are not.  I love them!  They are just really really bad. We tried them at a farmer's market and we all spit them out. They are spit them out bad.

LOL  i really feel that way, but just joking to show how different we all are!

I had a neighbor with  muscadine vines and I was ALWAYS sneaking over there to eat them.  

Let's see what else...........raw oysters, anyone?  Raw sushi?  OH I KNOW...kefir?? lol  That outta do  it........

I would never buy anything from ANY MLM. There are places to buy the exact same thing they are selling for cheaper. My facebook is loaded with oils, weight loss products, avon, marykay, etc. I hate the 'selling' aspect....friends take advantage of friends so often when they get mixed up in these schemes.

Word. I'm so over it.

Real FB message convo from today:

Friend: I have to do 30 facials in the next month for MK. When can I schedule you?

Me (awkwardly): I'm sorry, but my whole family has the flu (also mentioned on my FB wall).

Friend: Why don't I put you down for 2 weeks from today.

How is one supposed to respond to this? What part of 'I have the Black Death' was unclear????

Word. I'm so over it.

Real FB message convo from today:

Friend: I have to do 30 facials in the next month for MK. When can I schedule you?

Me (awkwardly): I'm sorry, but my whole family has the flu (also mentioned on my FB wall).

Friend: Why don't I put you down for 2 weeks from today.

How is one supposed to respond to this? What part of 'I have the Black Death' was unclear????

"Thanks for the offer but I'm not really interested. Good luck with your biz! "

On a serious note - please please do your homework before using any EO's on pets. Tea tree oil for one, is toxic to cats and dogs if too much is used. In very dilute amounts (.1%) it can be used in some flea treatments but note the decimal point there before the 1). I prefer to be safe and not use it on them at all.

True story. Years ago my oldest grabbed by bottle of TTO from the washer (because I used it in my diaper laundry) and tried to suck some out of the bottle. It was one of those dropper tops where only a drop or two will come out. I found him with the bottle and could smell it on him, but assumed he couldn't have really injested much. Shortly after we noticed he was especially clumsy. Then we realized he couldn't keep his balance at all and was falling all over himself. Dh rushed him to the ER while I called poison control (who knew nothing of tto). After waiting a couple hours in the er ds returned to normal so dh brought him home. I now keep tto way up high and out of reach. But sheesh, I had no idea.

My ADD son is very allergic to scents.  I think that would counteract any possible benefit.  

On a serious note - please please do your homework before using any EO's on pets.  Tea tree oil for one, is toxic to cats and dogs if too much is used.  In very dilute amounts (.1%) it can be used in some flea treatments but note the decimal point there before the 1).  I prefer to be safe and not use it on them at all.  

And it's not just using EOs directly on pets you have to be careful about.  Most sources say that most EOs shouldn't even be diffused around cats.

True story. Years ago my oldest grabbed by bottle of TTO from the washer (because I used it in my diaper laundry) and tried to suck some out of the bottle. It was one of those dropper tops where only a drop or two will come out. I found him with the bottle and could smell it on him, but assumed he couldn't have really injested much. Shortly after we noticed he was especially clumsy. Then we realized he couldn't keep his balance at all and was falling all over himself. Dh rushed him to the ER while I called poison control (who knew nothing of tto). After waiting a couple hours in the er ds returned to normal so dh brought him home. I now keep tto way up high and out of reach. But sheesh, I had no idea.

Yikes!  That's scary.  I'm so glad that he was ok.