Menu

When did eggs get so expensive?

Miss Peregrine

They charged you $17.99 a dozen for eggs?  :huh:

10 dozen eggs

It was the economy pack.

I just recently started buying meat again for the first time in about 7 years.

Talk about sticker shock!

And now that we don't have any (we sold all our slaughter steers because beef prices were historically high and the one we reserved for our meat hasn't filled out like we were hoping) I crave it.

That seems incredibly cheap to me. :(

We buy organic free range eggs from a farm that sells through grocery stores here. We don't know them personally but we've seen the farm from afar and the chickens spending time outdoors... it's north of here.

It is about $5/dozen.

If we didn't have a cat we'd get a few chickens.

Eggs a penny each
Eggs a penny each
Look Mum
Buy some
Eggs a penny each

I don't know, I think $1.80 per dozen isn't too shabby. Not quite the same as eggs a penny each, but close enough!

Edit: Wait, misread. $3.60 per dozen is... doable, I guess, but not exactly a great deal.

10 dozen eggs

It was the economy pack.

I just recently started buying meat again for the first time in about 7 years.

Talk about sticker shock!

And now that we don't have any (we sold all our slaughter steers because beef prices were historically high and the one we reserved for our meat hasn't filled out like we were hoping) I crave it.

Ooooohhhhh.  That makes more sense.  We don't have a Costco here, so I didn't realize they sold such large cartons.

We buy organic free range eggs from a farm that sells through grocery stores here. We don't know them personally but we've seen the farm from afar and the chickens spending time outdoors... it's north of here.

It is about $5/dozen.

WE have 3 cats and lots of chickens.

I bought 2 5-dozen packs. So $36 for eggs.

I thought you meant you bought all 10 dozen for $18, which is a little less per dozen than the price at my local Walmart.   But you only bought 5 dozen for that price? Are they organic or special?  Yikes...that's a lot of money. 

We use a lot of eggs and they've been creeping up in price.  I'm just buying normal eggs, not organic or Eggland's Best, which are much higher in price. At $3.60 a dozen I'd have to rethink our egg consumption. 

I read a news article that said egg prices were going up because California passed a law requiring that laying hens have enough room to spread their wings.  Factory farms can't cram in so many chickens anymore, so they raised the prices.

Yep, this. It applies to all eggs sold in CA, not just to those produced by chickens in CA, so it applies to most egg producers. It took effect Jan. 1.

I thought you meant you bought all 10 dozen for $18, which is a little less per dozen than the price at my local Walmart. But you only bought 5 dozen for that price? Are they organic or special? Yikes...that's a lot of money.

We use a lot of eggs and they've been creeping up in price. I'm just buying normal eggs, not organic or Eggland's Best, which are much higher in price. At $3.60 a dozen I'd have to rethink our egg consumption.

I edited my post as I was not very clear. I would have reconsidered our egg consumption if I had looked at the price. :lol:

WE have 3 cats and lots of chickens.

I should have said... we have a cat, work out of the home, do not presently have the wherewithal to ensure that the cat is indoors fully while the chickens are out, and of course that is not to mention the coyotes.

However, now that I think about it, although the cat is quite the hunter, he would probably be terrified of a layer.

I should have said... we have a cat, work out of the home, do not presently have the wherewithal to ensure that the cat is indoors fully while the chickens are out, and of course that is not to mention the coyotes.

However, now that I think about it, although the cat is quite the hunter, he would probably be terrified of a layer.

My cats are terrified of full grown chickens.

Now, I'd never allow them around chicks or half grown pullets.

Yep, this. It applies to all eggs sold in CA, not just to those produced by chickens in CA, so it applies to most egg producers. It took effect Jan. 1.

Egg prices has risen here before thanksgiving though. Preempt effect or inflation at work since milk price went up around the same time.

I buy eggs by the kilo here in Guadalajara.  The exchange rate has dropped in our favor so a kilo of eggs costs about $2.25 right now.  It was closer to $3/kilo when I first got there.  A kilo is usually around 15 eggs, give or take a couple of eggs depending on their size.  

I went to Costco last night. I bought 10 dozen eggs( in 5-dozen cartons) like I usually do. Only after checking my receipt at the car did I realize the cartons were $17.99 apiece! I had bought two cartons.

Then I cracked two putting them away. :/

Edited for clarity.

Did you grab a bigger size?

They are $4.59/3 dozen for large here.

I think the food prices are getting pretty high.  However, I am all for buying local, having a great garden, having chickens if you can, going organic, and being kind to animals.

So, if this law makes the lives of these chickens better, I am for it.  As a family, we are going to more local, more organic, and more from-scratch for our food.  We have been adversely affected by the growing ick in food (allergies, celiac, etc), so I think something has to be done. I do feel bad that this change will affect already cash-strapped families.  

It is about $5/dozen.

I don't think a cat would bother a full-grown chicken. Chicks, yes. Although it's not much or any cheaper than that to have your own chickens, but it's a lot more fun!

I'm near you, I think (I'm in the East Bay), and the egg prices at Costco didn't rise until this month

I'm in South Bay but we also shop at Fremont and Livermore. We find prices at Target, Trader Joes, Safeway, Whole Foods, 99Ranch fluctuate by zip code for non-sale items.

I don't think a cat would bother a full-grown chicken. Chicks, yes. Although it's not much or any cheaper than that to have your own chickens, but it's a lot more fun!

Around here food is super expensive and to buy organic... I think it might be cheaper by a bit. BIL has some chickens. They have estimated it and think they save about 2c/egg which is not inconsequential when you have teenagers.

When I thought about it I realized that yes the chicken is too big for him. To him it's like a dino-chicken. Actually I'm really interested to see what he'd think, lol!

I'll have to check my receipt on the eggs - I haven't been paying attention.

On the upside, when I filled up at the Kroger gas station at the grocery store the other day, I got a whopping 80 cent discount per gallon thanks to "fuel points."  With the already low prices, I paid a total of 97.9 cents per gallon, filling up the Suburban for less than a third of what I usually pay.  I thought I was seeing things.

I just bought a dozen eggs today at Aldi-$1.09 

We have chickens, but they don't lay eggs much at all this time of year. Also, they are getting older so they produce fewer eggs.overall. And we have cats who don't bother the chickens at all. Now, if you get baby chicks to raise, that is a whole different thing. 

I just bought a dozen eggs today at Aldi-$1.09 

We have chickens, but they don't lay eggs much at all this time of year. Also, they are getting older so they produce fewer eggs.overall. And we have cats who don't bother the chickens at all. Now, if you get baby chicks to raise, that is a whole different thing. 

Yeah I believe Aldi is charging $1.65 here.  Higher than where you are at, but still much lower than regular grocery stores.