Menu

What changes will you make in the new year?

We're changing nearly everything. DD is finishing most of the stuff we started about a year ago, so I am desperately hoping we can start all new history, science and English by the beginning of February. I was originally aiming for a January start, but unless we end our current history rotation with WWII again (the same thing happened when we did US history a couple of years ago), it's not going to happen. On the upside, it will give me a little more time to order the last couple of books for science that I didn't want to buy in December since it would bite into my Christmas budget.

I just ordered Finish This Book and I think DD will really like it. She's also been asking to do more activities from Writing Magic, so I'm thinking we'll alternate Treasured Conversations with WM and FTB to make school more fun.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S: things are going really well, but he needs to work a bit on reading as I'm planning to ramp things up again next year, so I'm going to get him to add in some independent reading for lit and history, with narrations to me, and see how that goes. 

T: wants to do grammar. Her reading was poorer in the fall, so she couldn't manage it at all. (but I realized how big the problem was, which was a Godsend) so I may try to add that in. Also, I may encourage some narration on her reading, not just read alouds. We'll see about that. We're starting evaluations for LD/ADD the end of this month, so that could change everything. 

D: no changes at this point. It would be nice to work with him (and me) on patience. I'm realizing why his temper/mood swings seem so familiar :-}. We'll probably start the evaluation process with him for ADD as well. His hyperactivity and impulsiveness aren't holding him back academically at this point, though they are exhausting for both of us :-}. 

And I need to work on the cussing thing......:-}. Actually, I was yelling at another driver, and S said (totally deadpan as only someone on the spectrum can be) "You know, Mommy. They can't hear you." I laughed until I cried. 

I'm actually very pleased with how most of our work is going. The things I want to address, find a solution for, etc.:

-when to fit morning time (or whatever we call it) -- I don't like to do it right after breakfast, because everything goes better if we jump right into independent work and one-on-one work. But then if things take too long, we don't want to do it after lunch either. More commitment to that on my part needs to happen.

-getting moving earlier -- we are naturally leisurely in the morning, and it isn't conducive to productive days. DH leaves for work at 6 am, so it's not like the whole family can just shift to get up later. We need to be sitting down by 8 am to start our work, and I think everyone would be more productive.

-not getting the extras done on our day out -- see above. Getting moving earlier would make that much easier.

We're planning a long-ish trip in February/March, so I'm doing some basic retooling of our pacing. There are a few things (prehistory and Grammar Island) that we would finish up around that time anyway, so I'm speeding them up a bit to have them done before we go. Other things, I'm looking to find a good stopping point.

We'll do other changes after returning from the trip rather than in January. Right now, we have a rather loose system of scattering subjects throughout the day. DD is young, and this mostly works, but I'm thinking of trying a slightly more structured approach of school in the mornings, leaving the afternoon more open.

Curriculum-wise and school-day-wise, no changes.

We just finished Shelagh Gallagher's Plague! - once I made myself start (I was procrastinating, because it was more teacher-prep-intensive than I originally thought), I was very good about making sure it was one of our first three items of the day, so I could take as long as needed and still have time to fit in other work.

So I'd like to continue that system with some other projects - a history research project and a Lewelma-style science investigation, for example.  I'm thinking 3-4 weeks each.  I hope we'll have time for a third project, but I'm not sure yet what it would be.  Possibly some intensive writing instruction - DS hasn't written a whole lot so far this year, and while it's passable, I'd like to see him jump up a bit both in terms of analysis and the writing itself.  Or maybe I'll just let him run wild with Khan, although I can't usually predict which days will be "can I do more Khan?" days and which will be "can I quit now?" days.  :p

I am buying the next level of VIE and Horizons Math for the younger two boys {10 and 9}. We might actually meet our goal of covering 2 grade levels this year! 

DD {6} refused to do anymore K work so I have already started her on 1st grade stuff. 

Older two {18 and just 16} will start American School for high school. It might not be the most robust but we can afford it for two at one time. It will get the job done. 

It is time for me to move out of the newborn baby crisis/survival mode and back into "regular life" mode.  This means putting together our "new routine", which will take into account the fictitious naps that my baby might...  someday... take. 

I also plan on doing some clipboard work for my 2nd grader- as we come to the part of a lesson where I usually sit and watch him work, I will note it on his clipboard and move on to the next mom-intensive lesson in the next subject.  When baby wakes up (or I just give up on him ever going to sleep), then he can move to his clipboard work to keep the momentum going forward. 

I will make read alouds the priority again, and if that means baby gets to nurse pretty much all day long... well, at least he'll be quiet.  :-) 

3yo is ready to learn letters. 

5 almost 6 year old probably needs to switch from SM to MM.  Still trying to decide.  She just needs a little bit more than SM and I don't have the time to make the extras for her.  I think MM might fit the bill.  Been thinking about making the switch for ds as well, just for budgetary reasons, still not sure yet.

I'm also doing an organization program to try to get my paperwork in order.  :lol:

It is time for me to move out of the newborn baby crisis/survival mode and back into "regular life" mode.  This means putting together our "new routine", which will take into account the fictitious naps that my baby might...  someday... take. 

I also plan on doing some clipboard work for my 2nd grader- as we come to the part of a lesson where I usually sit and watch him work, I will note it on his clipboard and move on to the next mom-intensive lesson in the next subject.  When baby wakes up (or I just give up on him ever going to sleep), then he can move to his clipboard work to keep the momentum going forward. 

I will make read alouds the priority again, and if that means baby gets to nurse pretty much all day long... well, at least he'll be quiet.  :-) 

5 almost 6 year old probably needs to switch from SM to MM.  Still trying to decide.  She just needs a little bit more than SM and I don't have the time to make the extras for her.  I think MM might fit the bill.  Been thinking about making the switch for ds as well, just for budgetary reasons, still not sure yet.

I'm also doing an organization program to try to get my paperwork in order.  :lol:

If you figure this out, please share. ;)

Things have really been chaotic here with the 18mo and 3yo. :willy_nilly:   I have yet to figure out a consistently workable routine.  And I may have to just be patient during this season; ie. give up on getting much done.

My kids really seem to peak this time of year in readiness, which is probably why I should just wait out grade level type stuff until mid year.  (Three of them have August birthdays.)  DS is suddenly reading and writing with much more ease.  And I see lightbulbs going off in DD7's head.  I am not sure how to challenge DD8.5...as usual.  My goal is to do more art with her.  She's talented, and we don't fit it in enough.  Of course DD3 is just soaking up all the stuff she hears.  And she begs for "school" already. ;)  We've started the R &S pre-K books with her, and sometimes my big girls "teach".  They're having fun!

I have gone back and forth with combining my two oldest....but it is just not ideal for their personalities.  (And abilities, really.)  It would make things so much easier for me....but maybe not when you consider their bickering, and my 7yo has behavioral challenges.  My plan for the new year is to only keep them together for read alouds and spelling, since that is working well.  And train them to play math games together!

I would REALLy like to also make read aloud selections a priority here.  My wild card is the screeching toddler. :scared:

It is time for me to move out of the newborn baby crisis/survival mode and back into "regular life" mode. This means putting together our "new routine", which will take into account the fictitious naps that my baby might... someday... take.

I also plan on doing some clipboard work for my 2nd grader- as we come to the part of a lesson where I usually sit and watch him work, I will note it on his clipboard and move on to the next mom-intensive lesson in the next subject. When baby wakes up (or I just give up on him ever going to sleep), then he can move to his clipboard work to keep the momentum going forward.

I will make read alouds the priority again, and if that means baby gets to nurse pretty much all day long... well, at least he'll be quiet. :-)

5 almost 6 year old probably needs to switch from SM to MM. Still trying to decide. She just needs a little bit more than SM and I don't have the time to make the extras for her. I think MM might fit the bill. Been thinking about making the switch for ds as well, just for budgetary reasons, still not sure yet.

I'm also doing an organization program to try to get my paperwork in order. :lol:

I am still in infant survival mode...she's 8 months old, with 6 teeth!

I'm not sure yet but I will be figuring it out over the break.  Not really a change but we will be reading The Hobbit and doing the guide that goes with it.  We finished cursive writing lessons and I'm happy that is out of the way--now I need to come up with something to fill that spot.  That will probably open it up to be more consistent with vocabulary.   I'd also like to do some things that the kids are interested in like geography or computer programming. 

For us it will be a matter of starting again the things that are more teacher-intensive--grammar, writing, spelling and experiments. I have been allowing myself to step back since October when my mom passed away. Now I need to get the ball really rolling again.

For my son, I had switched him from MUS to saxon algebra. While he is doing fine with the saxon, I am not--want to stab out my eyes. I just don't know why or how one company can make math so boring. So we are going back to MUS and Khan academy supplementation and other things as we need. 

My daughter will start phonetic zoo spelling, which has worked fabulously for my son. I'm hoping she likes it as well -- it takes me out of the equation, and makes them responsible for their own learning, which I love.

I'm actually very pleased with how most of our work is going. The things I want to address, find a solution for, etc.:

-when to fit morning time (or whatever we call it) -- I don't like to do it right after breakfast, because everything goes better if we jump right into independent work and one-on-one work. But then if things take too long, we don't want to do it after lunch either. More commitment to that on my part needs to happen.

-getting moving earlier -- we are naturally leisurely in the morning, and it isn't conducive to productive days. DH leaves for work at 6 am, so it's not like the whole family can just shift to get up later. We need to be sitting down by 8 am to start our work, and I think everyone would be more productive.

-not getting the extras done on our day out -- see above. Getting moving earlier would make that much easier.

Same for us!  I always intend to do it mid-morning but then the kids are on a roll and don't particularly want to stop so they complain and rage against morning meeting.  I am NOT a morning person so there's no way it's happening first thing (which, ahem, should probably be a lot earlier than it is).  I think for us we will do it after lunch - hopefully by then their seat work is done so we can relax and not feel pressured to get to anything else, other than quiet time.

I was having similar troubles, and small child-sized ;) distractions, with all I wanted to accomplish in our morning time.  And depending on what you're trying to fit in, this may or may not work for you.  I cut back to what was Most Important to me, and we do it during breakfast.  So while they're eating I read aloud Bible, start our devotional (and if little ones finish eating, they color - crayons and coloring page on hand) and we finish up with memory work and singing/prayer.  There are so.many.things I would like to include in our morning time, but this is most realistic for us right now.  And often we don't finish that and I pull out their school boxes at 9am regardless.  Oh, and we have also turned an afternoon snack time into our "tea" where we will read aloud books we haven't gotten to, poetry, or have recitation.  Whatever we want - no pressure.  This is another alternative if you just have to get going, or are running behind.  That way you might feel relaxed enough for leisure since you've hit whatever school minimums you have in your family.  HTH!

We've slacked off on our nature study and our exercise (especially me!), so I want to get back in the habit of making those a priority.  DD12 started Rod & Staff English 5 in late fall and loves it, so we're going to try to work through it pretty fast so we can get to the sixth grade book (she is in sixth grade now).  We'd like to get caught up to the point where she would finish the 7th grade book at the end of 7th grade, but we'll see how that goes.  We will be setting aside LLATL and she will choose her own lit books from a stack of books that she and I have put together.  DS7 just started Rod & Staff English 3 and loves it, but also wants to keep doing LLATL and so far hasn't had any trouble doing both.  We also switched science programs in the middle of the fall, from BFSU to Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage.  They are enjoying it and I am loving it because there is a lot they can do independently.   DD also switched from All-American History to America the Beautiful mid-fall, but we decided just to stretch that out over this year and next.  Both kids also just started Spelling Power and it's going well so far.  Wow, I didn't realize how much we switched out so far this year until I typed all that!  I think the only thing we'll be adding is a little bit of Spanish for DD, just some Rosetta Stone for now and then a curriculum next fall, still deciding which one.

We're dumping LLATL. This was our first time using it, and DS and I both dislike it. I ordered WWS, and will put together a list of lit books. Or maybe DS and I will just take turns choosing books.  Both kids are almost done with their Spanish workbook, so I need to figure out our next step there. In the meantime, they both enjoy duolingo.

Everything else is working out pretty well. DD has asked for more science, but really I think I just need to be more consistent about doing science with her. I have a tendency to just let her tag along with whatever experiments/observations DS is doing rather than getting out the things that are just for her.  It might help to move science earlier in the day, instead of saving it for last when I'm tired.

A few things are falling into place as January comes about. It always feels like a very long trip to get to January and then a very fast trip to get to June. So we are on the downhill slide.

Chemistry, Spanish, History, and Literature are going ell and those we will just keep plugging along with. Changes:

We are dropping math tests. Ds is still highly anxious about them, likes to work himself into a serious tizzy, then do really well. I thought this would begin to subside, since he always does well, but nope. At this point all the other tests have diminished anxiety, so we will stick with those. As long as he can show me he is learning by independently working and explaining himself, no more math tests. We will revisit math tests next year.

Vocab tests start in January. He asked for them. Spanish tests start in March, another request. I seriously do not get this selective test anxiety thing.

A more open schedule was also on the list, so afternoons are going available for project work three days a week. Fingers crossed that it works.

Ancient Greek was swapped out for Japanese. He gets to start learning in earnest and is very excited. Greek gets to wait another couple years so I can figure it out!

Hmm, I thought I had responded here.....

My big change is organization. We started the year strong but when it got hectic in the fall we went more relaxed with the schedule and it really worked ok and I enjoyed that season but I've also come to realize that keeping the schedule is best. I've started giving ds a checklist and will be continuing with that, I will also be working more with him on organizing and keeping track of his work. I need to start showing him these skills more and scaffolding in this area. Thankfully our schedule at the beginning of year worked pretty well so we will be returning to it for the most part. 

ds-

Math- We've finally settled into BA as our primary math, after some flopping around, we do however supplement and review here and there as needed/wanted. We have Time Travel Math to finish up in the new year and then will finish BA4C, hopefully just in time for 4D.

Writing-He's on track to finish Treasured Conversations around the end of Jan/February and then we will be onto finishing Narrative II, I will however be adding in some more structure to his Narrative assignments, inspired by TC. I'm just not 100% certain if we will be finishing TC through Part II or Part III, we'll see how he does when he gets there. I might be saving Part III until next year.

History will be continuing with American History, science is currently Astronomy. I'm thrilled to have finally found an approach to content that works well for him and me. It seems we've floundered a bit with this. The problem I've had in the past is not picking the right books and pacing. A lot of the CM and classical lists of books don't necessarily work well for us in history and science. However, I've found lists like NSTA, recommendations from here and Amazon reviews generally work. We also need lots and lots of books as a mix of read-aloud and independent reading is best. I'm engaged and interested in what we are learning which only feeds his interest. So, after trying and tweaking it a number of times it is so fabulous to see it working out how I envisioned, finally!

Literature- We tried doing a Narnia study this year, however ds has already read Narnia and was bored with it quickly. So, we chucked the plan and went to just reading good books, this was Christmas related books as of late but for the new year I believe we'll be reading non-fiction, I have the Young Reader's versions of Unbroken and I am Malala on my list along with A Long Walk to Water. After that I think we'll try a study of Harry Potter, assuming the WTM poster has it ready, otherwise we'll continue on with Tales Before Tolkien and other good books.

dd1 has some additions to her day, these were planned before the beginning of the year but I hadn't been sure of exactly how I was going to do it until this week.

Language Arts- Homemade copywork and narration with The Sentence Family. So far I've made up the first six weeks to get us started, I didn't want to plan too far ahead as I figure I'll have to do some tweaking. She is also starting Rod and Staff spelling, I had planned to start this next year but reading more I decided going ahead and starting with the grade 2 book this year would be a good idea. Otherwise she is continuing with Horizons math and Open Court Readers.

I also have to add religion for both but I'm still working on this. I think I might just have ds read from the Action Bible a bit each day or do online study. For dd I've got a couple of things but I'm not decided on the order, yet again it is one of those things I don't really like anything out there but I don't want to have to make it up myself and I need to make sure I get it done, I need more thinking on it.

Literature- We tried doing a Narnia study this year, however ds has already read Narnia and was bored with it quickly. So, we chucked the plan and went to just reading good books, this was Christmas related books as of late but for the new year I believe we'll be reading non-fiction, I have the Young Reader's versions of Unbroken and I am Malala on my list along with A Long Walk to Water. After that I think we'll try a study of Harry Potter, assuming the WTM poster has it ready, otherwise we'll continue on with Tales Before Tolkien and other good books.

Just added something else to my amazon wish list.  LOL.

My biggest change will be implementing a more consistent routine/schedule. 

My oldest actually asked me to buy him a "chart", which I did.  I think he needs more structure and knowing what will "happen next".

I've never been a big believer in schedules for babies, but I think my babies are no longer babies :crying:   So, I think this will be good for all of them

I've been thinking about this and have made some small changes:

I started a brief daily ritual with my almost 6yo wiggler which he is quite tolerant of—a lesson from Blend Phonics to formally go over the phonics he's been picking up (I let him pick a pen color and then rewrite the words onto a blank page as he watches, rather than have him read the print), some time with the Singapore Primary Math 1 textbook + sometimes some math games, and some letter formation/printing practice which typically ends with him composing his own sentences/mini-stories and then drawing.

The other two will be continuing on for the most part. The will both level up in math within the next couple of months and the older in Latin. He will also change math curricula at that point since MM is all I have available, besides a couple of Miquon books, until next school year. I'm paying most attention to their reading, handwriting, spelling, narrating, and summarizing skills.

Aside from continuing to nurture an atmosphere of education, at the moment I am intending to continue working through their respective AO year books with them and diligently apply myself to reading aloud to all of them but especially to the younger two. For myself—I'm reading a good book and buying myself some yarn.

Not changing very much, but adding to supplement, because this year has been very good. This is polar opposite to the previous year - I am very grateful, and keep running through the wisdom that I picked up along the way on how to help ds.

Math - the class he's attending will end in Jan, and I'm debating whether to start the next class in Feb or March. I'm very much thinking of a revision period to solidify what he's learned. Ds also wants to add another math, so I will see what can be done.

Physics - was good, quickly became a struggle, and is wonderful again. I will supplement with a Great Course (our first).

Programming - ds wants to add a programming class. His learning challenges have made it difficult for him to learn coding, and he gave up a few times. He wants it though. We will give it a shot and see what comes about.

I'm really excited about the new (new) writing teacher who will start in the new year :).

I added a read aloud segment last year, faltered (why does ds not like this, sigh), but will attempt again. He does remember the books we read together with great fondness. Let's see how it goes.

Eta: Ds added the Greek alphabet to his plate, for fun. He's enjoying it. It involves learning how to write the script, which is a challenge because he's dysgraphic, but I don't hear complaints. Not sure where this will go but I'm all for whatever he wants.

I originally said that I didn't think I'd be changing much because things have been going so well, school-wise. But now dsd has received a sewing machine for Christmas, I'm trying to figure out when and where and how to fit that into our day and/or week. I also want to go over our entire toy/craft collection and figure out the best way to store them so they're accessible, but not all the time. I'd like the neat stuff our kids have to be used, and used well. . . without completely taking over the house!

BIG changes.

11 yo reads like a dyslexic (but not tested so I have no idea if she really has dyslexia) so we're abandoning all required independent reading and doing a thorough review of phonograms, teaching "left-to-right" word attack,and basically rebuilding her phonics foundation.  She needs this in place before I figure out the next step.  Thank goodness she has no problems memorizing phonograms.  Getting her to use what she knows is another thing entirely.

Continuing with Math Mammoth because she actually likes it.  Adding in daily math review so she doesn't forget any of her hard-won math skills.

I'm adding in more reading  and challenge for my 10 yo (she's a strong reader, just doesn't do much of it), thinking about moving her to her own grammar program (something more challenging than EIW).

BOTH:

Toying with ditching Science in the Beginning, because I struggle with starting it.  Light might be the single most boring science topic I've ever encountered, which means my motivation to get it done is pretty low.  

IF I ditch it, I'll moved to interest-led science:  Pick a science/animal/nature book from the library.  Read it (or I read aloud for older DD).  Talk about it.  Put some sort of creative response in their science journals.  For example, 10 yo DD loves bunnies and is reading a book about them at the moment.  She could:  sketch and label pictures of different breeds, and/or write a few sentences about interesting things she's learned, and/or build a diorama of a specific breed's natural habitat, and/or something else entirely.

OR, I'll just suck it up and we'll learn about light.  For a month.  Good grief.

Also, I'm strongly considering ditching Essentials in Writing and going back to Write On.  Write On is awesome.  I psyched myself out last summer, convinced that we needed something more like traditional PS to lay the foundation for writing.  Younger DD is a phenomenal writer and older DD's strengths are in other areas.  So, I have kids at polar opposites of the writing spectrum.  We've done most of the grammar section of EIW (it's okay), but as I looked more carefully at the sequence of topics in the writing section, I realized that it's going to be a huge streeeetch for DD unless I tweak the order of topics (e.g. put the lessons on paragraph structure BEFORE the lessons on narrative writing... duh.)  I might just use EIW as a resource, with Write On as my main inspiration.  

OR, I might just suck it up, tweak as necessary and get over it.  "A curriculum that gets done.... blah, blah, blah."

For history, I'm going to give myself grace, read aloud from What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know (plus a few library books to fill in gaps), have them do a creative response in their history journal (or some other project of their choosing, similar to my interest-led science fantasy above) and call it good.  Might have them continue with The Story of the USA workbook since we have it (younger DD reading independently, me reading aloud to older DD, let her do questions orally).

We're dropping spelling for the time being.  Older DD has bigger fish to fry with regards to reading skills, and younger DD is a freakishly good speller on her own.  I'm thinking about moving to Megawords after DD masters her phonograms and is reading better.  Her spelling is actually okay, given the extent of her reading struggles.  It always makes phonetic sense.  But we won't make the (hypothetical) move to Megawords until later this spring or next fall or... ????

ETA: I forgot the most exciting FUN change:  Adding in GEOGRAPHY!  Map reading!  Longitude and Latitude!  Continents!  Cultures!  Landforms!  I am genuinely excited about this.  I'm pulling together my own resources, videos, books, projects, etc.  This is going to be SO FUN!

What I really want to do?

Change everything.  Throw my whole plan out the window, and sit down with each dd to figure out what they want to do/study/learn.

But I'm not sure if I'm brave enough . . .  :leaving:

It requires a leap of faith, that's for sure! 

For me, I keep imagining how I will feel when my kids graduate.  Will I look back with regret?  The way I'm doing things now, yes, I will. 

Change everything.  Throw my whole plan out the window, and sit down with each dd to figure out what they want to do/study/learn.

How about just change that around.

Sit down with each dd to figure out what they want to do/study/learn, THEN throw whatever plans you want thrown out and THEN change everything.

Seems less drastic that way.

I'm going to add a student: dd3 turns 4yo in a few days and because kids start school at 4yo here, she insists on 'official school'. She wants to study English (=foreign language), Biology and *tests*  :lol: . I'm thinking we are going to continue with read alouds, crafts, music and add some phonics.

I have to start French with dd11. I'm sorta looking forward to it, but am also feeling scared. I also have no idea how to add it to our schedule, dd11 is already studying Dutch, English and Latin. (Next year we will have to add Greek and German....I'm so repressing that thought!)

School-wise, no change. Continue with no structures, no schedules, and no record keeping for both kids. Just do the next thing and enjoy!

For my accelerated DS4, continue to focus on the three Rs, especially on reading (in English and Korean), and limit the seatwork to about 30 minutes a day. Add sports classes and piano lessons in the new year.

My bright ASD DD3 will continue to tag along with her brother's free play, field trips, hands-on activities and read-alouds (only if she wants to join us). Continue to help her with speech delay and behavioral issues while letting her be herself and learn things on her own and at her own pace.  

For myself, I'm going to find time to exercise regularly--I'd love to go back to taking yoga classes.--and take better care of myself in the new year. Try to do more actual reading and spend less time on electronics. Move from a metro city on the East Coast to the rural Midwest this summer.--Can't wait! 

What I really want to do?

But I'm not sure if I'm brave enough . . .  :leaving:

I'm hearing the song "Brave"....  "I wanna see you be brave...." 

(I would embed it, but not sure if that is within board policy).

How about just change that around.

Sit down with each dd to figure out what they want to do/study/learn, THEN throw whatever plans you want thrown out and THEN change everything.

Seems less drastic that way.

Ok, sat down with dd12 and it turns out that all we really needed to throw out and replan was lit - she is happy with everything else we are doing or that I had planned!  We are building time into the week for her Filmmaking class and creating a space during writing time for her creative writing projects. Turns out her only complaint about writing is that she has felt rushed on assignments, so we need to slow down and give her time to really develop an essay from start to finish with lots of support and without feeling rushed.   Other than that she is happy.  Whew!

I'm more nervous about sitting down with dd8, because although her list isn't long, I definitely have more must-dos on it - she doesn't get to choose whether to do spelling or writing, KWIM?  I just have the feeling that the day she would plan for us would be very project and labor intensive on my part, and it would leave out things like putting pen to paper!  I don't want to offer her choices that aren't really choices, KWIM?  So not sure how to proceed with her, exactly.  

Dealing with this child always takes an inordinate amount of courage - cue the song from Brave, I guess!!!

Rose, she's younger than mine, but both of my boys have shown surprising willingness to do their spelling when they have control over the words. They pick their spelling words from a reading selection chosen by me, and the process of learning the words (writing, using them in sentences, discovering their meaning in the dictionary) is mine. But they get the words they want to use, and because of that retention and usage has been higher.

Mostly making changes for *me* -- making sure dd#3 asks for help and that I check her once-per-week stuff the day she does it to make sure she does it, checking dd#1's work more often, and getting to ds#1 with all his stuff every day.

No added/subtracted stuff except dd#1 has a couple of semester-long studies that she'll be one with & starting one new one.

I want to make quite a few changes in how we are doing school. I have a dd in 4th and one in 1st and I really want to let go of most of our curriculum and try unschooling. I figure if it doesn't work out we can always go back to what we were doing for 5th and 2nd grade, right? My 4th grader Is so smart and would read all day if you let her but she really struggles with writing and spelling so it is really hard for me to give those up formally but at the same time what we are doing doesn't really seem to be working so why do I feel the need to hold onto it. Oh well, we shall see.