Menu

What changes will you make in the new year?

Hmm, changes for this next year. Well,..I want to be a happier, laid back mom, when it comes to school. I need to eat cleaner, exercise, and lose about 15 pounds.

I also want my walk with God to be stronger and more consistent.

I want to accept my kids for who they are, instead of always trying to make them fit that mold I have in my head!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not changing very much, but adding to supplement, because this year has been very good. This is polar opposite to the previous year - I am very grateful, and keep running through the wisdom that I picked up along the way on how to help ds.

Math - the class he's attending will end in Jan, and I'm debating whether to start the next class in Feb or March. I'm very much thinking of a revision period to solidify what he's learned. Ds also wants to add another math, so I will see what can be done.

Physics - was good, quickly became a struggle, and is wonderful again. I will supplement with a Great Course (our first).

Programming - ds wants to add a programming class. His learning challenges have made it difficult for him to learn coding, and he gave up a few times. He wants it though. We will give it a shot and see what comes about.

I'm really excited about the new (new) writing teacher who will start in the new year :).

I added a read aloud segment last year, faltered (why does ds not like this, sigh), but will attempt again. He does remember the books we read together with great fondness. Let's see how it goes.

Eta: Ds added the Greek alphabet to his plate, for fun. He's enjoying it. It involves learning how to write the script, which is a challenge because he's dysgraphic, but I don't hear complaints. Not sure where this will go but I'm all for whatever he wants.

Yoiks. The new year isn't upon us and already, I'll be making changes to the changes. :lol: And I started my previous post with "Not changing very much ...".  :huh:

We usually don't do too many subjects, so right away, my list above feels like a lot. Ds has asked for more subjects of study, while I'm thinking of adding more depth to what he's doing. Clearly, both cannot happen without significantly increasing study time. But he's doing a ton of therapy that can't be cut back.

I'll treat the above list as a wish list rather than a working list. Also, I'll get ds to pen into his schedule when he plans to do the additional subjects (programming and additional math). Maybe, family time can be the in-depth physics I was thinking of.   :laugh:

I guess the rest of you are doing hunky-dory with no changes, or else not ready to think about it quite yet! :laugh:

Back when you first posted this I knew some changes *needed* to be made, but I was too overwhelmed to figure out what to do. But now I have a plan... :)

Dd16 will be switching to TT Algebra 2 (but continuing with Khan Academy algebra review)

Dd12 will switch from Singapore to Math Mammoth and start using Apples (spelling review)

Dd12 will also start going through The Fallacy Detective, which was completely forgotten 1st semester.

Ds10 will write more paragraph summaries on his reading.

All 4 youngers will play Math Wars (card games) to solidify math facts.

Dd8 will start using Beyond the Code for reading comprehension. I will be more consistent in making sure she reads independently.