Menu

Hostage situation in Sydney, Australia

Stacia

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm praying this is resolved quickly and no one is harmed. I also hope they're as effective as Canada was and manage to take out the hostage-takers ASAP and not let them do any more damage. IMO, what they'll be facing after death is way worse of a punishment than what the jail will give them.

I'm praying this is resolved quickly and no one is harmed. I also hope they're as effective as Canada was and manage to take out the hostage-takers ASAP and not let them do any more damage. IMO, what they'll be facing after death is way worse of a punishment than what the jail will give them.

Shahrazad, I'm agnostic, so I don't pray as such. But, along with the hostages and their loved ones, I am keeping my Muslim friends in my thoughts. As you stated in the other thread, it isn't the religion making people act in sick and sociopathic ways. It's their underlying insanity.

In the same way that my former belief in the veracity of the Old Testament never could compel me to dash the heads of infants of idolators against rocks, or convince me to stone sinners. Nor the loooong history of Christians burning, beheading, and otherwise murdering all manner of heretics could ever inspire me to seek to do harm to other Christians I disagreed with.

Because I am innately, fundamentally repulsed by such acts, and I know you are as well. :(

I'm scared for them. I'm praying for their safety.  I'm worried about copycat crimes.  I'm worried about Muslim women (who tend to be more easy to identify) in Australia being attacked in hate crimes because of the actions of these people

And sadly, I'm a pessimist regarding this being resolved peacefully.  I hope I'm wrong, though.  I guess I don't see them putting up an ISIS or similar flag if they really wanted to negotiate. They want to terrorize, and the way to do that is not only to take people hostages, but kill them.  I really hope I'm wrong.

In the 1970s, an offshoot of the NOI (Nation of Islam) took hostages in DC.  The ambassadors from Egypt, Pakistan, and Iran were able to negotiate and get them released, by basically talking to them about Islam and why they were doing was wrong.  I'd like to hope something like that is possible here.  

Shahrazad, I'm agnostic, so I don't pray as such. But, along with the hostages and their loved ones, I am keeping my Muslim friends in my thoughts. As you stated in the other thread, it isn't the religion making people act in sick and sociopathic ways. It's their underlying insanity.

In the same way that my former belief in the veracity of the Old Testament never could compel me to dash the heads of infants of idolators against rocks, or convince me to stone sinners. Nor the loooong history of Christians burning, beheading, and otherwise murdering all manner of heretics could ever inspire me to seek to do harm to other Christians I disagreed with.

Because I am innately, fundamentally repulsed by such acts, and I know you are as well. :(

Thank you so much. It makes me feel so ill to see this stuff going on. Many in our community are actively fighting against it, the scholars have encouraged people to join the fight against these groups, and I have friends who returned to Kurdistan and are actively fighting there to protect the Yazeedis and fight this group off . There is overwhelming opposition against them within religious circles but at the same time, as an individual, I feel powerless and dread every new report. :(

Perfectly said.

Thinking of the hostages, their families, and the police.

The city centre is on lock down - we were in the city as this unfolded but thankfully in a different area. I feel absolutely sick in the stomach and very glad to be safely home. Details seem scant but an Islamic sign was unfolded and displayed at the café :(

I'm glad to hear that you and your family are safe, Sadie.

This is so scary -- I'm sure you are glued to the news reports. :(

My dd's friend lives next to that cafe, and this morning she couldn't get hold of her. Anyway she eventually did, and was told she nearly went to that cafe as it's her local joint! A sleep- in was what stopped her!!!! How scary!!!!!!

:eek:

Thank goodness she slept late!!!

The city centre is on lock down - we were in the city as this unfolded but thankfully in a different area. I feel absolutely sick in the stomach and very glad to be safely home. Details seem scant but an Islamic sign was unfolded and displayed at the café :(

Sadie, thinking of you... And hope it doesn't cause more difficulties for your dd.

Thank you so much. It makes me feel so ill to see this stuff going on. Many in our community are actively fighting against it, the scholars have encouraged people to join the fight against these groups, and I have friends who returned to Kurdistan and are actively fighting there to protect the Yazeedis and fight this group off . There is overwhelming opposition against them within religious circles but at the same time, as an individual, I feel powerless and dread every new report. :(

It's not your fault. It's not a reflection on your person, of your values, of the people in your community.

What makes a person murder another in cold blood? How does one ignore or shut off the capacity for empathy?

That isn't a religion problem, it's a militant problem. ISIS is a rebel/ revolutionary force, and if one examines the history and patterns of such groups, no matter their philosophical, political, or religious leanings, they all share in common the same willingness to resort to brutal and vicious tactics.

The most meaningful response to such violence is to to affirm each other's basic humanity, and to refuse to allow clannishness and fear of the Other become fuel for greater antipathy.

Bah...I turned the news off when they started showing footage of 9/11 and the Bali bombings...I mean this is a terrible thing but no need to sensationalise it.

Aussie police will not shoot unless there is no other option...so this could drag on for days so long as the hostage-taker doesn't start shooting people. It's a cafe..plenty of food in there.

Just glad it's a hostage situation with room for negotiation and the guy didn't just run in there and start shooting random people from the outset. That in itself shows there is a high chance they will all be fine.

Sydney is showing its true colours: this afternoon someone started the twitter hashtag #illridewithyou to show solidarity with Muslim women who felt unsafe on public transport. Its gone viral as Sydney-siders stand with their fellow Aussies to protect them from rascist opportunists.

Fortunately, ATM its one incident in one cafe. Media sensationalism, especially comparisons with the Bali bombings or 9/11, is absolutely repugnant.

D

I saw that five had escaped.  I'm so happy for them and their families.

I'm hoping it's a good sign that they could escape.  

I saw this on the Daily Mail (yes, I know).  Apparently a bunch of Australians are using the hashtag #illridewithyou to show support to the Australian Muslim community.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2874431/I-llridewithyou-Celebrities-tens-thousands-everyday-Twitter-users-social-media-support-Muslim-community.html

(Oops, starting writing and then posted it when Deee wrote her post.)

So grateful it's over...  

and so moved that Sydney responded as it did...

Sydney is showing its true colours: this afternoon someone started the twitter hashtag #illridewithyou to show solidarity with Muslim women who felt unsafe on public transport. Its gone viral as Sydney-siders stand with their fellow Aussies to protect them from rascist opportunists.

I saw this on the Daily Mail (yes, I know).  Apparently a bunch of Australians are using the hashtag #illridewithyou to show support to the Australian Muslim community.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2874431/I-llridewithyou-Celebrities-tens-thousands-everyday-Twitter-users-social-media-support-Muslim-community.html

(Oops, starting writing and then posted it when Deee wrote her post.)

a few days ago over on another thread we were talking about an

where townspeople responded in a similar manner... 

Let there be light.

:(

You know if I would have said something as equally vile about the Koran and Islam in this thread I would have been yelled off the board immediately, and for good reason.

EVERYONE'S beliefs and religions ought to be respected, even Christianity.

though given his record . . .  yeah.  sometimes, they need to NOT give the 'benefit of the doubt'.  it's not like he didn't have a *record* of highly untoward behavior!

It sounds like he never should have been let out on bail. I'm sure they never guessed anything like this would happen, though. It's terrible.

he's not the first - and certainly won't be the last.

(thinking of Maurice clemmons and josh powell here . . . . )

You know if I would have said something as equally vile about the Koran and Islam in this thread I would have been yelled off the board immediately, and for good reason.

EVERYONE'S beliefs and religions ought to be respected, even Christianity.

I think you may have misunderstood Aelwyyd's post.  

I didn't read it as vile or disrespectful at all. I read it as "Christians don't routinely terrorize and kill people just because there are violent stories in their holy book, and neither do Muslims. People in either of these religions who use their holy book as justification for violence are wrong. Neither Christianity nor Islam teaches followers that this kind of violence is OK."  

As Aelwyyd said, "It isn't the religion making people act in sick and sociopathic ways. It's their underlying insanity."

I think you may have misunderstood Aelwyyd's post.

I didn't read it as vile or disrespectful at all. I read it as "Christians don't routinely terrorize and kill people just because there are violent stories in their holy book, and neither do Muslims. People in either of these religions who use their holy book as justification for violence are wrong. Neither Christianity nor Islam teaches followers that this kind of violence is OK."

As Aelwyyd said, "It isn't the religion making people act in sick and sociopathic ways. It's their underlying insanity."

Thank you. Yes, this.

Are they saying it wasn't a terrorist act? To me, it was. Sorry for the upset in your land. It is hard to not be on edge at times such as this. Peace to you all. Hug your kids.

It appears to follow the recent pattern of a troubled criminal adopting extremist ideology and acting it out. Terrorism in a way, but not as part of an organised group.