Menu

I enrolled DS1 in high school & ended up threatening to sue the school system!

Not only did I give notice that I would sue the school system if it became necessary, I am still mad over what I was told.

DS1 and I had an appointment with the guidance counselor. While we were there, I asked her if the school would accept the credits my two homeschooled boys earn this year in 9th grade, if I were to enroll them next year.

She said no way! Our school system has never given homeschoolers credit for the work they have completed. For instance, the boys will still have to earn 4.5 credits in English at the PS even if they have completed Freshman English -- although they may not have to take Freshman English again.

So, if the boys enter PS in 10th grade, they will have to earn all the credits at PS that are required to graduate and will get no credit for work they have already done. The PS effectively makes that 9th grade year of homeschool count as a vacation from school.

BUT if a kid transfers into our school system from the worst PS in the state, the school will accept his credits. It does not matter if the worst school in the state does not meet the academic standards of our PS.

So I said if that happened, I would sue the school system, and I would be very likely to win. Not only that, I would enjoy doing it.

It makes me so angry I could spit. Note I did not ask that the grades I give be included in figuring the boys' GPA. All I asked is if the classes they take in homeschool will count as having met the graduation requirements.

RC

Agreeing with you, but many high schools won't accept homeschool credits (and in many states they don't have to). It's one of the reasons so many choose to return to traditional school for high school in our area...if something happens and you do end up putting them in (for whatever reason) they make you take all the credits...even if you are a senior.

It really, really sucks!

of HSLDA, I would contact them. I know not everyone likes HSLDA, but they can be very helpful in situations like these. It may be true that not every p.s. accepts homeschool credits, but I think that's a travesty. You're right---if your local p.s. accepts credits from a transfer student from the worst p.s. in the state and won't accept yours---it's a ridiculous situation. Rockermom is right, too---if colleges accept homeschool credits, so should public schools.

At any rate, that would be my recommendation. We enrolled ours in a private school, and one of the main draws was that they didn't give me any grief over credits; I had good test scores to boot. I still miss many things---it's traditional, but not classical (bwaaaah! I miss classical BIG TIME!), no one likes the interference of night-time homework, etc. But, they never hassled me over credits.

Good luck! I hope your situation gets resolved!

I don't need the HSLDA. I am a lawyer. I salivate when I think about this possible case and the good it can do for the homeschoolers in my state. I wonder how many people have run into this problem and just lived with it because until the courts rule about homeschooling issues, there is no law about homeschooling here. I also wonder how many people have stopped homeschooling after 8th grade, when they otherwise would not have, solely because of rules like these.

It seems to me that once a school superintendent has approved a homeschool plan, they have given the stamp of approval which says the homeschooler is getting an education at least equal to that the student would receive in PS. Standardized test scores and HS records would prove that this has actually come to pass.

Also, just so you know, I am not planning to send DS2 and DS3 to the public schools, but the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

RC

In our sate, that's just how it is. You cannot graduate without credit from a certified school. So if I sent my kid as a sophomore, he couldn't participate in graduation, and would probably have to get a GED if he needed a certified dipoma. So, around here, you have to decide before freshman year to ps your kids or there is no benefit, really.

good luck

Katty

I don't need the HSLDA. I am a lawyer. I salivate when I think about this possible case and the good it can do for the homeschoolers in my state. I wonder how many people have run into this problem and just lived with it because until the courts rule about homeschooling issues, there is no law about homeschooling here. I also wonder how many people have stopped homeschooling after 8th grade, when they otherwise would not have, solely because of rules like these.

My dh is a lawyer, too! In that case, I would pursue it if they continue to give you problems. I think some school districts are used to bullying parents, for lack of a better word, into their system. I'm sure you're correct in that many people stop homeschooling after the 8th grade because they just don't want to have to hassle with the local school districts.

Good for you! I wish you the best of success. Please keep us posted on how things are going, OK?

ever threatened a school with a lawyer! But I'm a lawyer too, so maybe it's what we do.

When I tried to enroll DS in first grade at his sisters' school, they acted like they wouldn't take him because they suspected learning disabilities. I cried (unfortunately), yelled at them and threatened to get my lawyer involved.

It scared the heck out of them and ds was enrolled (unfortunately but that's another story).

Agreeing with you, but many high schools won't accept homeschool credits (and in many states they don't have to). It's one of the reasons so many choose to return to traditional school for high school in our area...if something happens and you do end up putting them in (for whatever reason) they make you take all the credits...even if you are a senior.

It really, really sucks!

Yep, I was going to say the same thing. I've NEVER heard of a public high school accepting credits from a homeschooler.

Phlox

Here in Ohio, land of achievement testing, you must enter as a freshman. It is an all or nothing situation. I have known of a few case-by-case exceptions to this unwritten "rule" because the moms provided such overwhelming, detailed evidence of their use of a full curriculum like BJU or Abeka. Both moms were very sweet, demure types, so that may have helped them win over the guidance counselor. I didn't have any luck with my guidance counselor, that's for sure.

Go directly to the board. Many times, the counselors might not be fully knowledgeable about what the school can and cannot do.

The school should definitely give credit to your kids.

Best of luck if you do need to put your kids in the school. I'm sure that you will win any battle with the school.

Valk

The schools around here are very flexible about homeschooling, but they do not accept the credits either. If you want a high school diploma from that school, you need to enroll as a freshman.

I get a letter from the superintendent that states that they won't accept home school high school credits and even goes as far as stating that other school districts don't either, so you'd better do your homework. IRRC, they go on to state that your child will have to take the public school's end-of-year exams to get credit. So, there is a work-around.

I always thought that's the norm. I think if you start asking the high schools to accept your credits, then they will be more apt to limiting their "approved curriculum" to school-in-a-box curricula like A Beka, Calvert or K12 or correspondence schools. IMHO, that would not be good.

FWIW, not all high school accept credits from other schools. A good friend of mine went to school in Hawaii (may have been a DOD school - his dad was in the military) for a year and then came back to the mainland. My high school would not accept all his credits, so he ended up getting a GED. He's a successful computer programmer w/o his diploma.

I hope you come to some resolution. It sounds as though you might have enough ammo (being a lawyer) to negotiate with your local high school. I worry about limited our options for high-school when we force a public institution to accept our children's credits. I don't want them to have a say in my educational choices. I'm afraid that the junior highs would follow suit.

K

RC,

You might have played your cards too quickly. Or telegraphed your next move...or some other metaphor that means that you put the school on alert that you might sue.

They could be getting ready for a challenge, taking you seriously and be ready for you if and when you come in again regarding this issue. You've lost the element of surprise.

I'm sure you though of this but I thought I'd share.

RC, if I were in your shoes, I'd be ready to kick someone!

BUT - hearing from so many others that this is the norm - it sounds like an area in which some work needs to be done for homeschoolers. Maybe you're the one to start it.

I don't belong to the HSLDA but I wonder if they are working on getting high schools to take homeschool credits? I'm picturing a test, maybe, to go along with homeschooled transcripts to prove that the kids actually did the work and know their stuff.

So, your local school superintendent approves your school plans? Here, I make all curriculum decisions and no one oversees that. But if you already have to get approval from your school district, it makes no sense at all that the credits don't transfer.

of HSLDA, I would contact them. I know not everyone likes HSLDA, but they can be very helpful in situations like these. It may be true that not every p.s. accepts homeschool credits, but I think that's a travesty. You're right---if your local p.s. accepts credits from a transfer student from the worst p.s. in the state and won't accept yours---it's a ridiculous situation. Rockermom is right, too---if colleges accept homeschool credits, so should public schools.

At any rate, that would be my recommendation. We enrolled ours in a private school, and one of the main draws was that they didn't give me any grief over credits; I had good test scores to boot. I still miss many things---it's traditional, but not classical (bwaaaah! I miss classical BIG TIME!), no one likes the interference of night-time homework, etc. But, they never hassled me over credits.

Good luck! I hope your situation gets resolved!

HSLDA does not generally expend its resources in helping people put their dc in public school.

Having attended three high school programs in different states (CA, GA and FL), I can say that all of my credits transferred. However, certain required courses I was forced to repeat -- even when they used the same textbooks!

For example, I had to pass the state's "exit exam" in California, Georgia AND Florida. I had to take PE/Health/Sex Ed in California, Georgia AND Florida in order to graduate.

But my math, English, Gov't, etc. credits all transferred.

My older brother went to four different high schools... he had no problems graduating from the last one -- although I don't think he had to take PE/Sex Ed as often as I did... he did have to sit for the exit exams, though.

Good luck in your endeavor -- just because something "is" that way (high schools not accepting credits), doesn't mean it *should* be that way. It takes a few pioneers to make changes happen.

and it has been so ever since I started hsing in 1982.

*Most* schools in *most* states will not accept 9th grade credits from homeschoolers. It's why hs parents are encouraged to consider whether or not they want to hs through high school, because it is *likely* that their dc's credits will not be accepted if they try to enroll after 9th grade.

Before 9th grade it's not that much of a problem; after 9th...it's a crap shoot.

Sometimes it can be done if the parents arrive at the school with transcripts and standardized test scores in hand, especially in states where hsers are considered private school students and the parents state it that way: that their dc were enrolled in a private school for 9th. But even then, not all public schools will accept credits from private schools.

It seems to me that once a school superintendent has approved a homeschool plan, they have given the stamp of approval which says the homeschooler is getting an education at least equal to that the student would receive in PS. Standardized test scores and HS records would prove that this has actually come to pass.

Also, just so you know, I am not planning to send DS2 and DS3 to the public schools, but the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

RC

Good for you! Being a lawyer I mean. I am mad right a long with you!:glare::glare::glare:

Not only did I give notice that I would sue the school system if it became necessary, I am still mad over what I was told.

DS1 and I had an appointment with the guidance counselor. While we were there, I asked her if the school would accept the credits my two homeschooled boys earn this year in 9th grade, if I were to enroll them next year.

She said no way! Our school system has never given homeschoolers credit for the work they have completed. For instance, the boys will still have to earn 4.5 credits in English at the PS even if they have completed Freshman English -- although they may not have to take Freshman English again.

So I said if that happened, I would sue the school system, and I would be very likely to win. Not only that, I would enjoy doing it.

RC

I don't think it's logical to expect a public high school to give credit for homeschool classes. I'm sure your boys have covered all the information they need to know, but why should the school have to accept classes that any homeschooler teaches as the same as classes taken at their school?

I think it would be more reasonable to ask that students be allowed to test out of classes.

I have a friend whose dd went part-time to public high school for two years and then full time for two years. She did not take part in graduation, and did not receive a diploma. Didn't affect her ability to go to college at all-- just as homeschooling all the way through does not affect you college entry.

I don't think it's logical to expect a public high school to give credit for homeschool classes. I'm sure your boys have covered all the information they need to know, but why should the school have to accept classes that any homeschooler teaches as the same as classes taken at their school?

I think it would be more reasonable to ask that students be allowed to test out of classes.

I have a friend whose dd went part-time to public high school for two years and then full time for two years. She did not take part in graduation, and did not receive a diploma. Didn't affect her ability to go to college at all-- just as homeschooling all the way through does not affect you college entry.

You have a good point, but they would except credits from any other public or private school. So why not a homeschool? There should be no difference.

Yes, that is absolutely the way it should be.

It says up in the corner that you're in New England. I'm not sure what state, but it might be helpful to you to know that the homeschoolers in Worcester, MA just had this exact long-standing policy overturned by the school committee, and they now accept homeschool high school credits. Thought that might help you with your case, especially if you're in the same state.

Worcester is the only town I've heard of with that draconian policy. That is just nuts, for exactly the reason you describe.

ETA: Wow. Reading that this is the norm in most other states - it's making me glad that MA is one of the few "approval" state - since they do approve the plans, the argument should stand that if they approved the plan, they need to accept the credits as being valid -or what is that approval for??

I find that interesting. For me if I can get through 9th then why would I even bother entering into PS if they are going to be like that? I think they lose a lot of students that way and dollars.

I am not anti-school or teacher, in fact I tried to encourage my ds to go to our local PS for high school. He wasn't interested.

You have a good point, but they would except credits from any other public or private school. So why not a homeschool? There should be no difference.

They don't have to accept credits from other schools either, it's usually up to their discretion.

But I think there is a difference between accepting credits from another school and accepting credits from homeschoolers. There is a lot more oversight in any kind of school than there is for homeschoolers (and I like it that way- that's why I couldn't handle being in a virtual charter school.) In a school there is an administration, and many parents keeping an eye on the teachers and raising a ruckus if the classes are not up to par. For homeschoolers, it's only the one family. If they decide it's not important to teach 5 chapters of the math book, they just don't do it.

I think sometimes we on this board assume all homeschoolers are as vigilant about their children's educations as we are. Believe you me, they are not. And the teachers and administrators of the public school system are the ones who have to deal with the train wrecks.

We live in Texas ( a very easy homeschool state) and our school will not accept homeschool credit for high school either. We have a friend whose daughter entered 8th grade at the end of the year( 2 weeks left) on advice from teachers. Had to pass all of the classes through testing. Passed with flying colors. Entered the high school last week and was told she would have to stay home and take classes from Texas Tech for 9 weeks before she could even go to school! Is that stupid or what? What are these people thinking? What will she be missing by being out of class for 9 weeks? School systems suck ( or at least ours does!) It's just another way for them to make sure homeschoolers jump through hoops.

Sorry for venting. I just have a real problem with the "system". It's like the government. It's broken but no one wants to do anything to fix it!

Melissa

We enrolled dd in 9th grade public school this year, and I clearly remember the guidance couselor saying that it was good we were making this choice now because getting her in later would be more complicated. :glare: Apparently, this problem is being addressed by at least some states (eg: VA). The procedures described here make sense to me and seem fair. This article from a PA homeschooler perspective explains that states often leave these policies up to the districts who often don't have a clear or even a written policy. Yikes! Maybe your roll here, RC, is to initiate action towards getting your state to move toward a more accommodating stance. It does sound as if you're having a contentious experience with your school system, and I'm sorry that's how things are starting off. I don't blame you for being upset with how things are, but you're certainly poised to affect change in your district.

Good luck!

I think sometimes we on this board assume all homeschoolers are as vigilant about their children's educations as we are. Believe you me, they are not. And the teachers and administrators of the public school system are the ones who have to deal with the train wrecks.

describing, and it both saddens and angers me at the same time that some parents would "homeschool" their children and yet care so little about their education.

On the flip side, though, there are plenty of train wrecks left over from public education, and society as a whole has to deal with those problems. This is the reason why so many of us have opted to homeschool.

Although I would rather not see this, I do agree with you that it may indeed be reasonable for a public high school to expect homeschoolers to take some kind of equivalency exam.

I am one of the homeschoolers in our area who regularly opts to have her children tested, which I have done faithfully every year, either having them take the Stanford or the ITBS. Despite my precautions, I was told by a former high school counselor a couple of summers ago that the school district "did not accept any testing from any other source other than the school." The public schools use the MAP test here in Missouri, which I've been told is an inferior test to the ITBS or Stanford, anyway. Our public school must be somewhat more open than other public schools: they told me that they "would see" about assigning credits. Then, when I had my dd take the PSAT there as a 10th grader, when she scored just 20 points below the cut-off for National Merit finalist potential---then they were willing to talk to me about credits, because the test was administered not by mom (in the case of the Iowa) or a homeschooling group (in the case of the Stanford), but by their own counselor. My oldest had the same success with the ACT, scoring well above the norm for her age; 29 overall, and 34 out of 36 on the English and 35 out of 36 on the Reading portions. Again, the school district performed the test.

It still doesn't make sense to me why the counselors at a school district wouldn't be able to employ a little common sense and gauge the quality of the education parents are giving their children by looking at samples of their work, test records, possibly administering equivalency exams of their own, etc. We have a mom in our area whose ds has completed his first college-level Latin class (Wheelock's) and is now taking a college-level philosophy class. Although the mother and son have no desire to stop homeschooling, I can't imagine why a school district would have trouble with this.

Certainly, the people who are homeschooling but are doing a poor job are out there, but the diligent ones shouldn't be punished because of those who simply don't care about their children's education.

I went to 3 different universities--the second one did not accept 10 of my previous credits--the third 'gave them back' to me when I transferred there...

Accredited universities DO NOT accept credits from non-accredited colleges--there are VERY VERY few exceptions.

---

I once taught at a private school. The local public schools DID Not accept credits from our school--our school was NOT accredited by the same agency that the public schools were. This is/was perfectly LEGAL--even though it stinks.

In many (not most) cases students are allowed to 'test out' of a course when they transfer in--often GPA is not included. The homeschooled/private schooled student must take the same end of course exam the PS students took--but make a HIGHER grade on it to prove mastery. Since textbooks have some leeway in the concepts they include--and teachers have flexibility to skip/add material it is likely that the transfer student may not have seen some of the material on the test--is it fair? Not really--is it legal...probably--no one is/was forcing you to homeschool--it was YOUR choice and it was YOUR responsibility to stay informed of the transfer requirements.

My sister homeschooled her oldest dds until high school. She needed to go back to work full time (not really a choice) and attempted to enroll her girls in PS--Sophomore and Senior. The school had a 'no transfer of credits' policy my sister was patient and talked with the superintendent, principal and teachers (heads of the departments). She asked if they would allow her girls to test out of credits--they initially refused--but she politely asked if the teachers could interview her girls. They agreed and the TEACHERS went to their superiors and insisted that these girls be allowed to transfer in. My nieces LOVED being in PS (great school district) and were very active. In the end the school even awarded them their credits (AND GPA points) back because they proved the had had a rigorous education while being homeschooled. This district (in Oklahoma) still takes transfer students on a case-by-case basis.

Here in Texas it is up to the individual school superintendents to decide their transfer policy for homeschooled or private schooled students. It is MUCH easier to enter at or below 9th grade (just have to pass the state test on the previous level). In Texas you can officially test out of subjects by going through Texas Tech --a PUBLIC correspondence school (accredited by the state just as the public schools are). ALL public school districts in the state of Texas MUST accept these credits (they can still limit inclusion in the GPA).

By law the public schools MUST accept your student's enrollment--but they are not obligated to award credits from outside sources (not accredited by the same agency they are).

I agree. And don't forget special needs/special education kids (I have one). I see more special needs kids than ever being homeschooled. Most of the special education kids I've met that go to PS usually have pretty low self-esteem (sometimes that is just part of their issue but not always) and really struggle to fit in at school. The answer is not to just bring them home and do nothing but to challenge them and teach them at their level - which is what homeschooling is all about. So many kids get lost in the system by being a square peg.

We live in Texas ( a very easy homeschool state) and our school will not accept homeschool credit for high school either. We have a friend whose daughter entered 8th grade at the end of the year( 2 weeks left) on advice from teachers. Had to pass all of the classes through testing. Passed with flying colors. Entered the high school last week and was told she would have to stay home and take classes from Texas Tech for 9 weeks before she could even go to school! Is that stupid or what? What are these people thinking? What will she be missing by being out of class for 9 weeks? School systems suck ( or at least ours does!) It's just another way for them to make sure homeschoolers jump through hoops.

Sorry for venting. I just have a real problem with the "system". It's like the government. It's broken but no one wants to do anything to fix it!

Melissa

Melissa,

I am really confused and NEED to know.. This girl entered at the end of 8th, but they wouldn't let her in at the beginning of 9th??? My son is an 8th grader in Texas and I assumed I would just be able to register him this summer for next year if I wanted to. Is that not true?? I'm really having a hard time deciding what would be best for this child. He would be perfectly happy to homeschool, but has limited social skills and could benefit from HAVING to be around people, I think... I can give them test scores and he qualified for state recognition from his ACT score from Duke last year as a 7th grader (which only 1 student in our district did, so I think academically he is getting a great education...he just dislikes being around people and would happily spend time by himself all day..)

Mara

I went to 3 different universities--the second one did not accept 10 of my previous credits--the third 'gave them back' to me when I transferred there...

I went to 3 colleges too. I had to take stats 3 times because no one would take the credit from the other schools. :tongue_smilie:

My sister homeschooled her oldest dds until high school. She needed to go back to work full time (not really a choice) and attempted to enroll her girls in PS--Sophomore and Senior. The school had a 'no transfer of credits' policy my sister was patient and talked with the superintendent, principal and teachers (heads of the departments). She asked if they would allow her girls to test out of credits--they initially refused--but she politely asked if the teachers could interview her girls. They agreed and the TEACHERS went to their superiors and insisted that these girls be allowed to transfer in. My nieces LOVED being in PS (great school district) and were very active. In the end the school even awarded them their credits (AND GPA points) back because they proved the had had a rigorous education while being homeschooled. This district (in Oklahoma) still takes transfer students on a case-by-case basis.

and this makes perfect sense. I think what Jann is describing is very true; the situation stinks, but it seems to be what we have. Perhaps asking the school district to interview your dc, along with supplying necessary paperwork, test scores (for what they're worth), etc. Maybe the teachers will petition the administrators on your behalf.

By law the public schools MUST accept your student's enrollment--but they are not obligated to award credits from outside sources (not accredited by the same agency they are).

This is what I was told also; that my three girls could be enrolled but credits were determined by the school. This was one of the reasons why I enrolled them at the private school (although I realize this may not be feasible or even an option for some families).

I still dislike the system; I wish there was a better method for enrolling homeschoolers and allowing for some kind of equivalency or entrance exam. RC, I'll pray for you to have wisdom to know how to proceed. This has got to be frustrating beyond belief.

This type of stuff is the main driving force as to why i'm probably going to end up using NARS for highschool.

IF something were to happen and the kids would have to go to school - i don't need whoever is dealing with it (i'll assume it won't be me) to try to figure out what is going on.

This way she is in an Accredited High School, but i'm still in control of what she is doing. I don't like having to pay for it - but the headache that it will relieve will be easier for me....

I think.

This week.

AND, she's only in 7th so i have time to change my mind! LOL!!

Long story, but I will try to condense it. lst daughter was PS thru 10th grade. She graduated 7th in her class of 225, so they wanted to keep her when we began our homeschooling journey. Counselor agreed it was another alternative High School experience and he worked with me for 2 years. She spent half her day at school, half at home, all credits were accepted.

2nd DD spent 6-8 grade at home full time. We moved to Michigan. I tried to enroll her part time, they took it to the school board and said to work with me. She spent half day at schoo, half day at home. Eventually they pulled out some obscure law about non traditional students taking core curriculum classes. They arued with me and wanted her full time or not at all. I argued back and we continued on for the next 2 years. BTW I did contact HSLDA and was told they had no experience in helping enroll students in PUblic school, their goal was the exact opposite.

My daughter did go on to graduated with gold cords. I had completely won over the counselor by then whe admitted she was not impressed when we started and I would add that I was sure she didn't like me one bit, but 4 years later she thought it was a great experience for all sides.

Fast forward 4 years. Both sons had always been at home, but it was time for them to go to Public School. I walked in with not only complete transcripts, but a very detailed course of study for the past 2 years for both of them. The Guidance counselor was still there and she was very enthusiastic about bringing my sons in. No, I am not naive, they were looking at dollar signs, but they also knew they were getting kids prepared to learn.

Older son entered as an llth grader and they accepted EVERYthing we had done at home for credit. They were completely impressed with my documents to support the work as well as our curriculum choices and immediately enrolled both of my sons at the correct grade level.

So, yes, Public schools do accept homeschool credits. I do know of many other kids who have done the same thing here and in Minnesota, so we are not unique at all.

This type of stuff is the main driving force as to why i'm probably going to end up using NARS for highschool.

IF something were to happen and the kids would have to go to school - i don't need whoever is dealing with it (i'll assume it won't be me) to try to figure out what is going on.

This way she is in an Accredited High School, but i'm still in control of what she is doing. I don't like having to pay for it - but the headache that it will relieve will be easier for me....

I think.

This week.

AND, she's only in 7th so i have time to change my mind! LOL!!

NARS is only "sort of" accredited (not by one of the regional agencies) and that is no guarantee that the high school will accept the credits. It just depends on the school - your best bet is to *ask* and plan based on that.

Even still though - there is someone on that end to help this end should the need arise.

I have no intention of any of my kids gracing the door of the High School here, and i'm just not going to go there unless i need to. But this way there is a portfolio of her work, and something "easy" for everyone to continue on (hopefully instead of turning to that place down the road).

But like i said, i'm keeping my options open right now, we don't HS thru the county but use a private school right now, i'm not sure how that alone would transfer either....

But i do know that is common for high schools to NOT accept HS work.

I had considered enrolling my dd in ps this year after we found out she couldn't go part time until winter. DD is with an accredited school, but even so the her 2 PE credits, her art credit, and possibly one or two others wouldn't transfer. She would have had to take PE with 9th graders, even though she is in 11th grade. That nixed that right there. I was surprised that even though she enrolled with an accredited school, not everything would transfer. She can actually graduate at the end of this year, or part way through next year, so we're going to do that instead.

Veronica

When my dd was 8th gr, she decided she wanted to attend the local high school. In our are jr. high is 7th to 9th and high school is 10th to 12th. She didn't want to enter jr. high as a 9th grader, but wanted to start new at high school I called and spoke with the counselors and was told emphatically, under no circumstances could they accept any credits she earned in 9th grade in a homeschool. Because we were planning ahead, I enrolled her in the IDEA charter school so she would have an accredited transcript that the high school would have to accept. We did the very same work, used the same curriculum we would have without the charter school, but she received an accredited transcript. Lot of hassle.

In the end she left after 10th grade to attend college because she was spinning her wheels there. She had to complete the GED and state diploma tests in addition to the ACT. She's now attending our local state university.

I don't think I would ever do the public high school thing again, but of course, plans can change.

Janet

I will frankly admit to not being a lawyer, but when I first started reading your post I couldn't fathom how you could possibly sue. . . until I got to this part.

Your school superintendent has to approve a homeschool plan?

Not so in our state.

I do know, because we are military, that if we homeschool, and enroll our children in a DODDS school -- even in highschool, that DODDS is only required to accept credits given through certain course work (by certain publishers). They tell you this upfront. Alpha-Omega is one of the publishers they'll accept. I know one of our friends used A-O for this reason, then moved to MD and tried to put their child in public school (not DODDS) and was informed that none of the credits would be accepted. The poor kid wound up doing summer school in order to attain the credits needed.

It'll be interesting to read this "saga".

Oh, but have you discussed this with another lawyer? I know on tv they always have some comment about a lawyer having themselves as a client. . . (NOT saying that's the case here! Just curious if you got a "second opinion".)

I only can speak for our district because I don't know what it is state-wide, here. There is a "re-entry" test that students can take at any time. This allows them to not earn credits, but waive them, so they don't have to take freshman English as a junior. I would not expect a district to give my kids credits for the work we do at home, but I would like them to provide a way back into the system if that becomes necessary.

Melissa

Wow, this is so wrong! If she tested out and passed, why the delay? I know the Texas Commisioner of Education has said they can test out http://www.thsc.org/pdf/TEAletter.pdf by why the delay? Did they explain the why's of why they are doing this? Just curious and feeling bad for this girl too!

Yes - some students are required to take tests even with going in at the 9th grade. When my now junior dd was in 8th grade, I told her we needed to choose which horse she was going to ride for all of high school. She chose to stay at home. This year we're mixing things up a bit with some online classes.

I will frankly admit to not being a lawyer, but when I first started reading your post I couldn't fathom how you could possibly sue. . . until I got to this part.

Your school superintendent has to approve a homeschool plan?

In Massachusetts, the case law contains all the laws about homeschooling, except for the law that specifically states that homeschooled students cannot take the MCAS. (That law makes sense -- only public schooled students can take the MCAS because it is all about how the public schools are doing.)

Thus, to effectuate an addition to the law, one has to sue. Other than issues covered by case law, each school district determines its own homeschool policy. There are 391 school districts in Massachusetts.

If it came to pass that I had to sue in order to get credits accepted by our high school, ours would be a good case. Massachusetts standards are the highest in the nation, and I met or exceeded them in each subject I am teaching this year. The subjects I am teaching are exactly those offered at the high school, except that I am including ancient history in world history, rather than beginning with 1500 A.D..

I am teaching DS2 and DS3 at home this year. One reason for that is that our school does not offer adequate accommodations for my boys. DS2 has nonverbal learning disorder (accommodation: special ed class for math, types responses to essay questions on tests - but only after a school rep comes to my house to observe my homeschool) and Asperger's Syndrome (no accommodations at all).

We enrolled DS3 in a parochial school last year. The school refused to accommodate him for Asperger's Syndrome unless DS3 had an IEP. The public school refused to give him an IEP. We pulled our son out of school and resumed teaching him at home because he was floundering and miserable.

Regarding the Asperger's Syndrome, though: DS3 tested as having learning disability problems. The leader of the testing group at the PS had worked solely with students with Asperger's for 12 years prior to working at our PS. He said that the school could not diagnose AS, but that he was 100% certain that DS3 has AS. Meanwhile, we are waiting for an appointment (given a year in advance) to have him diagnosed at a medical center in Boston.

My beef is that since DS3 had all these problems, regardless of a diagnosis, the school would not give him an IEP.

It is highly unlikely that we will place DS2 and DS3 in our public high school next year. More likely is that we will continue to teach them at home, and a faint possibility is that we will petition the state to pay for both boys to be taught at a private school that costs $40,000 to $50,000 each year, per child.

The state will pay for this if we can prove that our town's high school does not offer adequate accommodations for the boys.

BUT I have homeschooled DS2 since 1st grade, and DS3 since 2nd grade and I am fully aware of what works for them and they do learn very well at home. It takes more time because their processing speed is in the bottom 2%. The boys want to be taught at home, and I am willing and able to do that.

I am appalled that a homeschooler in my town will not have credits accepted at the high school, no matter how well-educated they are, yet credits are always accepted from other public schools, no matter how poorly those schools perform.

A plaintiff has to have standing to bring a case, and this basically means that they have to have a car in the race. We may never sue because we may not have a car in the race. But if we do, I will.

RC