Menu

2015 College acceptances - is this where it goes?

momofkhm

Okay so these are the schools dd got into so far

Laguardia

BCC

Nassau

BMCC

City -(surprised by this) Got a scholarship for all four years in addition to a free laptop and money for travel opportunities.

Hudson

The big schools

University of Miami - Accepted with full tuition scholarship

We're waiting to hear back from the big schools and her dream schools. She applied to a ton of schools. She's hoping her test scores along with her college classes/AP classes and essay will save her.

• Like 28

Financial package came in for the top choice school and dd has received 17k in renewable grants and scholarships. I'm blown away. For those of you who read my FA freak out thread, this now makes the school doable for us. We're still hoping and praying for 2 department scholarships that she is up for. They would be such a blessing, but we're no longer depending on them.

Happy dance!

• Like 33

X-post from other college thread...

It's been a while since I was active on the boards, which were a huge blessing to me when I took the homeschooling plunge 8 years ago. I read TWTM and felt compelled to give my dc a better education than they were receiving at private school. I could not have navigated this process without the veteran homeschool parents here and SWB's wisdom and practical advice. I was in way over my head. I depended on the ladies here for daily/weekly help and encouragement.

I did not imagine the impact that classical homeschooling would have on my kids. Latin helped launch my older dd into the world of languages. She is passionate about Spanish and French and is looking at linguistics courses. I could go on about the benefits of TWTM. It radically changed our world. I'm so thankful. It still influences my decisions with younger dds.

Not sure if this will encourage a younger mom who wonders if all the planning and sacrifice is worth it. It is. You are in good hands here.

In terms of college news, dd is most likely choosing UW in Seattle. We visited last week. It is truly magical.

Here is her list:

UW

UC Irvine Honors

UCSD

UCSC

Seattle U -- Trustee Scholarship 4 years

Sarah Lawrence

(Waitlisted NYU)

ETA: Pepperdine

• Like 34

Back again to add that dd was accepted at a six-year BS/MD program (Northeast Ohio Medical University w/Kent State for the undergrad part). 

Congratulations! This is awesome news! 

I listed this under Kent State with a note, but counted it as two admissions and two universities in the count. Does that make sense for this program? 

• Like 1

Congratulations! This is awesome news! 

I listed this under Kent State with a note, but counted it as two admissions and two universities in the count. Does that make sense for this program? 

Thanks! :) And yes, I think that makes sense. The MD acceptance is conditional, based on GPA and MCAT score requirements, which seem very manageable. 

• Like 5

Beth, my oldest is at UW Seattle, and I have nothing but good things to say about the place.  I was there with her a couple of weeks ago, and heard her speaking with her advisor while I was around the corner (meaning, he didn't know I was there and could hear everything.)  The way he spoke to her was so encouraging and wonderful. Plus, he asked her to keep the door open while they talked, which encouraged me as far as his ethics :-)

Congrats to your student, and to all the kids with acceptances.  I don't have a senior this year, but I love this thread, and am looking forward to the process with my second child next year!

• Like 3

Okay I wanted to wait until dd got most of her acceptance and rejection letters. Finally the ivies released their decisions.

USC (full tuition)

Wheaton(20k scholarship)

USCD

Scripps

Biola(trustee scholarship 12k)

Azusa

Princeton(we're shocked too)

Claremont McKenna(10k scholarship)

FSU (9k per year)

Barrett,the Honors College

University of Arizona (12k per year)

University of Tampa

UCF

FL keys CC

Texas Christian

San Diego CC

Columbia(wait listed)

University of Rochester

LIU Brooklyn

College of Mt Saint Vincent

Hofstra(20k scholarship)

Notre Dame of Maryland University

San Diego Christian

Agnes Scott(22k scholarship)

Stonybrook

Mills

Westmont

Syracuse

Brown(surprised by this as well)

Point Loma

USF(4k)

University of Florida

Loyola Maryland

Loyola Chicago (13,500 scholarship)

Santa Clara(scholarship pending)

Simmons(full tuition)

George Fox (10k scholarship)

Arizona Christian

Dallas Baptist

New College of FL(15k scholarship)

Pace

Barry

Phew!! I know dd applied to a lot of colleges but she wanted to keep her options open. We expected a lot of rejection letters but surprising it was sorta half and half.

* all scholarships are per year

• Like 17

Okay I wanted to wait until dd got most of her acceptance and rejection letters. Finally the ivies released their decisions.

USC (full tuition)

Wheaton(20k scholarship)

USCD

Scripps

Azusa

FSU (9k per year)

University of Tampa

UCF

FL keys CC

Texas Christian

San Diego CC

Columbia(wait listed)

University of Rochester

LIU Brooklyn

Hofstra(20k scholarship)

San Diego Christian

Stonybrook

Mills

Westmont

Syracuse

Point Loma

USF(4k)

University of Florida

Loyola Maryland

Simmons(full tuition)

Arizona Christian

Dallas Baptist

Pace

Barry

Phew!! I know dd applied to a lot of colleges but she wanted to keep her options open. We expected a lot of rejection letters but surprising it was sorta half and half.

Holy cow - she applied for so many!  Congratulations on them all!  How will she start her decision-making?

USC (full tuition)

Wheaton(20k scholarship)

USCD

Scripps

Azusa

FSU (9k per year)

University of Tampa

UCF

FL keys CC

Texas Christian

San Diego CC

Columbia(wait listed)

University of Rochester

LIU Brooklyn

Hofstra(20k scholarship)

San Diego Christian

Stonybrook

Mills

Westmont

Syracuse

Point Loma

USF(4k)

University of Florida

Loyola Maryland

Simmons(full tuition)

Arizona Christian

Dallas Baptist

Pace

Barry

So she was accepted (or wait listed) at 42 colleges? If the acceptances and rejections were "sorta half and half," that would mean she applied to more than 80 colleges???

• Like 2

So she was accepted (or wait listed) at 42 colleges? If the acceptances and rejections were "sorta half and half," that would mean she applied to more than 80 colleges???

I don't even know how many colleges dd applied to. She did keep a list. Colleges started spaming her. They gave her fee waivers, chocolate, tshirts so she just applied just to apply. I don't think she applied to 80 colleges though. She did get rejections. But she also got a lot of acceptances. I would say the acceptances out weight the rejections.

Holy cow - she applied for so many! Congratulations on them all! How will she start her decision-making?

Thank you! DD applied to many colleges just for the heck of it. They bribed her with fee waivers, chocolate, tshirts. So why not apply when you get a free candy bar and don't pay anything in fees.Her top five were Duke, Pepperdine, Scripps,Harvard, UCLA. She got rejected from 4/5 of her top choices. She automatically weeded out certain colleges. Then is starting to weed out colleges due to size. She decided she wants a small college. She always wanted to go to California because it's warm. Then she's thinking about staying close to home. She wants diversity. Then it comes down to costs. She doesn't want to be in debt, and take out any loans. She did apply to outside scholarships.

USC (full tuition)

Wheaton(20k scholarship)

USCD

Scripps

Azusa

FSU (9k per year)

University of Tampa

UCF

FL keys CC

Texas Christian

San Diego CC

Columbia(wait listed)

University of Rochester

LIU Brooklyn

Hofstra(20k scholarship)

San Diego Christian

Stonybrook

Mills

Westmont

Syracuse

Point Loma

USF(4k)

University of Florida

Loyola Maryland

Simmons(full tuition)

Arizona Christian

Dallas Baptist

Pace

Barry

Wow, this must have cost you a ton of $$ and her a ton of time!  Even if some of the schools offered free apps (I know plenty of others on your list don't), there's still SAT and/or ACT scores to be sent, and for those that use the CSS Profile for financial aid, that's certainly not free!  If one averages $30 per school... yikes!  And I could see that being a low average for cost to be honest.

It makes me glad my guys only applied to 3, 6, and 1 school respectively.

That said (mainly if others are reading and thinking this many applications is normal ;)  ), congrats on her acceptances and best wishes picking her selection.

I have to wonder if your dd set a record (across the country, not just the Hive) for most apps.  I just did a quick google search for average number of apps per student.  It's four - or at least was in 2013.  I tried googling most, but didn't get an answer (it's possibly too difficult to know).

• Like 5

Wow, this must have cost you a ton of $$ and her a ton of time!  Even if some of the schools offered free apps (I know plenty of others on your list don't), there's still SAT and/or ACT scores to be sent, and for those that use the CSS Profile for financial aid, that's certainly not free!

I was thinking the same thing.... quite an endeavor! I am sure someone out in cyberspace will want to interview Purple's daughter for a sensational article about college applications gone wild, lol. (If you post on facebook, Purple, I guarantee it will go at least a little viral pretty quickly! Let me know and I will do my part of the liking and sharing, lol!)

DD's final acceptance wrap up/choices:

Rochester Institute of Technology - Merit Aid

University of Rochester - Merit Aid

Clarkson University - Merit Aid, Honors College

SUNY University at Buffalo - Provost Scholarship, Honors College

Cornell University

Local Community College - continue?

Quite the range in size, aid, flavor, and feel. All good choices, so it will be hard.

She's lucky in that she believes that she can be successful at any of them, but that doesn't help her narrow anything down.

The money *will* help her narrow things down, though... and one more official campus visit, and sitting in on a class or two at both of the locals.

• Like 26

I don't even know how many colleges dd applied to. She did keep a list. Colleges started spaming her. They gave her fee waivers, chocolate, tshirts so she just applied just to apply. I don't think she applied to 80 colleges though. She did get rejections. But she also got a lot of acceptances. I would say the acceptances out weight the rejections.

Just for future reference, which colleges were giving away free chocolate?

• Like 13

Wow, this must have cost you a ton of $$ and her a ton of time!  Even if some of the schools offered free apps (I know plenty of others on your list don't), there's still SAT and/or ACT scores to be sent, and for those that use the CSS Profile for financial aid, that's certainly not free!  If one averages $30 per school... yikes!  And I could see that being a low average for cost to be honest.

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know how much money was spent on that many applications... :bigear:

• Like 8

And I thought 13 applications was a lot...  but big congrats on Princeton and Brown!

Here's my son's final list of acceptances:

Duke

Cornell

RPI (merit scholarship)

GA Tech

University of Maryland (College Park)

UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County -- or whatever it stands for!)

So, he didn't get into his top choice (Yale), but he still has some great schools to pick from!

• Like 35

Agreeing with Creekland about the expenses for scores and CSS.  I'd skip the free ones, unless your student actually wants to attend, and the money you'll save, to say nothing of time, could be spent on Perugina, Godiva or any chocolates you like.   T-shirts from other colleges have a limited lifespan as most want to wear their own college shirts once on campus.  I can't even imagine a senior having a light enough schedule to allow time for all the extra applications.   FAFSA sending alone to so many colleges would be incredibly time consuming.   Admittedly though we did send a request for information from Carleton after reading that some students who did that were sent a frisbee.  Dd got only the brochure, but the marketing schemes do work.

• Like 5

My son got his final acceptance today--Stevens Institute of Technology. So he applied to five schools, was accepted to four of them, and was waitlisted at the fifth.

ETA: His scholerships totaled $200,000 over four years.

• Like 31

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know how much money was spent on that many applications... :bigear:

You guys know how much I like to look at numbers and compile info, so here's my take! 

SAT scores alone would have been $1305, just for the institutions on this list. 

By my calculations, this student is holding onto $147,000 in scholarship funds (assuming they are one time awards), plus two "free rides", which would be an additional $335,528 over four years (I looked the tuition up) - so there is $482,528 in the offering here - nearly a half of a million dollars. 

Honestly, I hope she makes her decision quickly, especially where scholarships are involved. If she does not want to go to these schools, there are other students who are going through the same process that would like to have that money available to them. I mean, if USC isn't her first choice, she can be assured that it is someone else's first choice and perhaps that someone else needs this scholarship in order to accept at USC.  In addition, there are probably students waitlisted at  many of these schools who would like to know if there is going to be a spot for them. So, I do hope that she goes through this list quickly and declines the offers she is not seriously interested in.  Then moves through the rest of them at a fairly rapid pace so that the scholarship funds can be available to others in advance of the May 1 acceptance date. 

I believe getting into college for any student is a great accomplishment. But, I am worried about this. I am afraid that your daughter treated college admissions like a game, wanting to see how much she could win. In the end, she may have seriously harmed other students, especially if she doesn't release unwanted scholarship funds quickly and make those spots available to students on waitlists. 

• Like 25

Quoting TechMom(for some reason my quote thingy messed up):  "In addition, there are probably students waitlisted at  many of these schools who would like to know if there is going to be a spot for them. So, I do hope that she goes through this list quickly and declines the offers she is not seriously interested in.  Then moves through the rest of them at a fairly rapid pace so that the scholarship funds can be available to others in advance of the May 1 acceptance date."  

---------

I know one waitlister who would love to have the spot at Princeton.

• Like 15

Agreeing with Creekland about the expenses for scores and CSS.  I'd skip the free ones, unless your student actually wants to attend, and the money you'll save, to say nothing of time, could be spent on Perugina, Godiva or any chocolates you like.   T-shirts from other colleges have a limited lifespan as most want to wear their own college shirts once on campus.  I can't even imagine a senior having a light enough schedule to allow time for all the extra applications.   FAFSA sending alone to so many colleges would be incredibly time consuming.   Admittedly though we did send a request for information from Carleton after reading that some students who did that were sent a frisbee.  Dd got only the brochure, but the marketing schemes do work.

Especially considering that the Common App has a limit of 20 colleges per account, so applying to even 50 colleges would require setting up 3 separate accounts. That's a lot of extra time and trouble to go to, in addition to the expense, in order to apply to schools the student has no real interest in anyway.

• Like 14

This NYT article from last fall addresses this trend. This approach is inexplicable to me. A student can only go to one school. Like others, I find this trend and the cavalier approach troubling. These students are playing games with peoples' futures.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/16/nyregion/applications-by-the-dozen-as-anxious-students-hedge-college-bets.html

Maria

• Like 8

My kids applied to one - ONE - college each.  If that didn't work out, they were going to go to community college.

I feel like such a slacker.  (LOL)

Congratulations on all the acceptances!

That's what my son did too. However, we don't see it as being slack, not even in a joking manner. His proposed major is not offered at many places, so once he had his number one choice, he was pretty much set on it. Had he not gained admission, he would be going to the community college to get his stats up so that he would be able to the following year. 

• Like 7

That's what my son did too. However, we don't see it as being slack, not even in a joking manner. His proposed major is not offered at many places, so once he had his number one choice, he was pretty much set on it. Had he not gained admission, he would be going to the community college to get his stats up so that he would be able to the following year. 

My youngest did this too.  Had either an acceptance or finances not worked out, his Plan B was to stay home, work, and potentially add some cc classes.

He sorted out his favorite school by visiting others that made the cut.

Oldest and middle were more willing to go elsewhere pending finances/acceptances, but they also eliminated a ton of schools prior to applying.

• Like 6

And I thought 13 applications was a lot...  but big congrats on Princeton and Brown!

Here's my son's final list of acceptances:

Duke

Cornell

RPI (merit scholarship)

GA Tech

University of Maryland (College Park)

UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County -- or whatever it stands for!)

So, he didn't get into his top choice (Yale), but he still has some great schools to pick from!

Congrats!

A relative of ours was in the same position and went to University of Maryland at College Park and then went on to get his Ph.D. from Yale after not getting in for undergrad.  :)

• Like 5

My oldest applied to 1.  #2 applied to to 3 or 4.  #3 applied to 8 and I thought 8 was too many.  I never added up the scholarship $$ ds was offered b/c is seems rather pointless b/c it only matters if you attend, but he had 2 full rides, 1 full tuition, 2 which offered $30,000/yr, and 2 which would have been full pay, and 1 where he was waitlisted/rejected. In hindsight, he should have only applied to 2 school, the 2 which offered full rides.  (the full-tuition school had a nightmare dept.)  

When our next oldest is sr she will only apply to a handful and avoid any where the scholarship $$ still leaves us with too high of a difference anyway.

• Like 2

Dd did quite a few applications, but it was needed as the schools with great financial aid are all reachy.  It just surprises me that a top stat student would apply to so many colleges just for free chocolate and t-shirts.  It's not that anything is taken away from the colleges as they're looking to raise the stats of students who apply, so they got a fair exchange for their give aways, but it's the students who applied who really wanted to attend and needed the scholarships who may get shortchanged.  Some scholarship money may roll over to those accepted off the waitlist, but some schools only distribute it once and don't redistribute if the scholarship awardee turns it down.   I had thought about asking dd to do a couple of the quick and free applications, but then I had read about the scholarships.  Just echoing TechWife so next year's applicants are aware of the situation as the colleges themselves don't "advertise" this info.  The current poster and her daughter likely had no idea.

In any case, congratulations to all the students of the Class of 2019 on their college acceptances.  The list for all is truly impressive!

:hurray: :party: :hurray:

• Like 9

Because we have a compulsory common application, and the limit is five universities, that's what Calvin applied for.  UK stats for applications look a lot more reasonable for that reason, and you are much more likely to be able to match up your own level and a suitable university.

That being said, someone from Calvin's year at school didn't get high enough grades to get into the UK universities that had given her provisional places (our results come out after the offers) so she ended up without a place at all.  It all ends happily in this case, however: she took a year out and has just been offered a place at Harvard.  

(There are two UK universities that are outside of the common app, but you can't get government loans for them, so they tend to attract a particular clientele).

• Like 7

Third DS only applied to one school this year. We had many more interesting things to do than multiple applications. Plus he fell in love with Christopher Newport University, and we knew he was competitive. He was admitted with scholarship money to their Leadership Program and he can't wait until fall.

Mom is happy. In-state tuition--we can graduate him debt-free! He adores the campus, he can study music performance and math, and he's an hour away from home. Why would we university-shop past that?

So if you guys are slackers, count me in.

SWB

P.S. And also, read this: http://www.amazon.com/Where-You-Not-Who-Youll/dp/1455532703

Third DS only applied to one school this year. We had many more interesting things to do than multiple applications. Plus he fell in love with Christopher Newport University, and we knew he was competitive. He was admitted with scholarship money to their Leadership Program and he can't wait until fall.

Mom is happy. In-state tuition--we can graduate him debt-free! He adores the campus, he can study music performance and math, and he's an hour away from home. Why would we university-shop past that?

SWB

P.S. And also, read this: http://www.amazon.com/Where-You-Not-Who-Youll/dp/1455532703

It sounds wonderful. Congratulations!

• Like 5

SWB

I kinda really liked being able to slack off for my youngest with his single app and an admission response that came in Dec.  It seemed so much more freeing than the normal college app routine.

• Like 6

Especially considering that the Common App has a limit of 20 colleges per account, so applying to even 50 colleges would require setting up 3 separate accounts. That's a lot of extra time and trouble to go to, in addition to the expense, in order to apply to schools the student has no real interest in anyway.

Does this smell a little fishy to anyone else besides me?

• Like 17

SWB

You need a "like button" on this thread so everyone can celebrate with you without having to actually post  :party: . 

:laugh:   Congratulations!

• Like 10

Final results for my first daughter to graduate

Acceptances:

Southern Methodist University- $20k/yr scholarship

University of Oklahoma

New College of Florida-$15k/yr scholarship

University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill

Swarthmore

Waitlist:

Brown

Colorado College

Duke

Rejected: 

Oberlin

Pretty sure she'll be attending Swarthmore, though she may decide to stay on the waitlist for Brown, since it's been her dream school for so long.  I think Swarthmore will really be a better fit for her, though, and it was by far the best financial package. She'll be visiting for their Ride the Tide program in late April. Glad that's over! 

• Like 35

My kids applied to one - ONE - college each. If that didn't work out, they were going to go to community college.

I feel like such a slacker. (LOL)

Congratulations on all the acceptances!

Mine did, too he did apply early action, so we knew early enough to do other applications if necessary. However, we knew he was competitive and would get a full tuition scholarship. So I guess we were slackers, too.

• Like 6

DD applied to 4. I had a panic moment when I felt like she should have added one more in, but she could have ultimately just applied at her favorite and been done with it. In her circle of friends it has ranged from 1-15 applications (not counting several friends who are going straight to CC). Her 2 best friends both applied to more than 10, which was a lot of work, especially for the one who had multiple auditions.

• Like 3