Menu

2015 College acceptances - is this where it goes?

momofkhm

Received a likely letter from Columbia University! (Totally shocked. But homeschoolers can make it to the Ivy League!)

Also accepted to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (waiting on merit aid), George Mason's honors college (with 10k merit aid), University of Maryland's honors college (waiting on merit aid), and the University of Alabama's honors college (finalist for the CBHP research honors program, guaranteed NMF full-tuition+ scholarship). I'm still waiting to hear from the rest. I'm excited for next year! 

• Like 39

Received a likely letter from Columbia University! (Totally shocked. But homeschoolers can make it to the Ivy League!)

Also accepted to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (waiting on merit aid), George Mason's honors college (with 10k merit aid), University of Maryland's honors college (waiting on merit aid), and the University of Alabama's honors college (finalist for the CBHP research honors program, guaranteed NMF full-tuition+ scholarship). I'm still waiting to hear from the rest. I'm excited for next year! 

Congratulations! This is awesome news! 

• Like 4

Accepted to Cal State Fullerton today! This is a safety school that is looking more and more appealing by the minute, if you've seen any of my financial aide freak out posts.

We're awaiting one last college, Cal State Long Beach, which would probably be the first choice safety.

• Like 30

Scoutermom, that would frustrated me A LOT! I hope you hear something soon. I have a feeling though that the lack of communication may indicate a no.

One thing to remember is that really, there just isn't anyway to know why for the most part as long as the school was not a reach to begin with because it could be anything including zip code or too many applicants declaring that major this year or whatever. Freshman classes are put together rather eclectically these days for all except the least selective schools.

• Like 2

I love reading this thread!  Congratulations all around!

My ds1 just got accepted to VA Tech, into their engineering department.  Now he can accept his AF ROTC scholarship, since that was his first choice civilian school, and he needed to have an acceptance letter to show the ROTC people.  Still waiting to hear from USAFA . . .

• Like 35

My ds1 just got accepted to VA Tech, into their engineering department.  Now he can accept his AF ROTC scholarship, since that was his first choice civilian school, and he needed to have an acceptance letter to show the ROTC people.  Still waiting to hear from USAFA . . .

Wonderful!  :hurray:

Gotta add an extra :party: for my Alma mater AND the Corps of Cadets!!!  I wasn't engineering though - that was hubby...

• Like 6

I know this isn't an acceptance but I didn't want to begin a new thread and need to vent.

My son applied to an OOS he believed would be a decent fit.  I think the decision is going to be a NO for my son but we don't know why.  He submitted his application in December and there is still no decision; it's a rolling admission and typical turnaround is 3-6 weeks.  We called last week and his application is complete (dated Jan 6th) but the admission rep said it is marked "No decision".  She had a nervous laugh and kept saying "Um, yeah.  No decision." She then told us to call back in mid to late March if we still haven't heard anything. It's already been 10 weeks. That phone call was the only communication with a person at this particular school.  It would have been nice if the school had sent an acknowledgement of receipt of application or an email stating the reason for the delay.

We looked up the school on College Confidential and, after reading the stats of those who have been accepted and comparing my son's other admissions and merit awards, he was a competitive candidate for admission to this school.

It is really frustrating since he had submitted his application in plenty of time to be considered for scholarships but with no action on the application he missed the scholarship deadlines.

Aw. That is frustrating. :( Do you think it's a financial aid thing, like if they can meet need or a balancing the class composition thing?

• Like 1

DS has been accepted into the Honors Program at Eckerd and awarded a freshman Marine Science Research Assistantship.  I hope the financial aid office comes through and helps make this a feasible option.

Hooray, hooray, hooray!!! very cool additional recognition.

Congratulations to all! So much good news!

Maria

• Like 4

:hurray: Congratulations to all the admits!

DS has been accepted to:

New Mexico Tech (scholarship) 

Cal Poly Pomona 

University of Minnesota (scholarship)

Cal State U - Northridge

He's so happy about his future and can't wait for Aug. to arrive  :001_smile:. Such a contrast from all the stress of junior year!

• Like 31

Happy Day!

DD got her acceptance letter to the University of Rochester!

:party:

:party: I've heard that's a good school.  :D

ps  Middle son said to be sure she signs up for the right FB page.  Apparently there's an "unofficial" page out there this year with oodles of ads on it - mainly intended for advertising purposes.  The correct page description will say it is the "official" page.

• Like 7

My DD just got her acceptance to the University of Rochester too! She was accepted into their School of Engineering. 

:party:  More congratulations!  And ditto the thoughts about the FB page from middle son!

If anyone accepted to URoc wants e-mail contact with middle son for any questions (or whatever), feel free to send me a pm.  He's an RA (with freshmen), so knows a bit about the campus both officially and unofficially.

• Like 7

A big congratulations to all of those whose children have received happy news.

Hoping that those who have been waiting patiently (and impatiently) will soon hear good news.  April is coming.

And consolation (and chocolate and ice cream) to those who have been disappointed.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 14

Another update.  My son ended up being three for three in the college admissions game.  He was just accepted to MIT! :svengo: :party:

Big congratulations!!! 

I wish DD would have applied to MIT. She even visited, but thought it was beyond her reach.

• Like 4

Washington University in St. Louis- A rejection :confused1:  I now know why DD was soooo grouchy at the beginning of March.

Georgia Tech - An Acceptance :hurray:  

It is so hard to keep perspective in this hyper-competitive college application game. I am glad I consented to DD's request to apply 12 colleges and universities.  (-15 The UC's are one application, but it costs extra $$ to send to each UC.) Originally, I thought DD's plan not just expensive but overkill. But now she feels like she has a choice rather than taking second best or being outright rejected and no plan"B". I am looking forward to the end of April when this all of this will be decided, and we can move on to AP tests.

• Like 32

At this point we are 3/4, as far as her father and I know.  SHe got her third acceptance this week along with a scholarship from St. Olaf.  She has a migraine and is non communicative at this point, so I don't know anything else.  I do know we are going to San Antonio to visit Trinity University at the end of the month. I also know she is visiting Rhodes again at some point.  I don't know when or if she plans to travel to MN again and also don't know again what the status is at the last college, nor if she applied to another one.

• Like 21

DD got her third acceptance- St. Olaf in MN.  So she is so far 3 out of 4.  SHe is calling the fourth school tomorrow and finding out if she was put in the regular decision group by mistake or what is going on.  They had implied to her that although there was a big mix-up with the transcript- that everything was great and they were all ready to give her a decision.  Well it has been over a month now and nothing. 

We are visiting San Antonio this week to see Trinity University.  She will do another visit at Rhodes (it is fairly local).  I don't know what she wants to do about St. Olaf because she has been on a tour and also been there for a summer camp so I don't know if she wants to visit again- it is far.  And then of course the fourth school is still up in the air. 

• Like 22

DS received appointments to the United States Air Force Academy and the United States Naval Academy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will post more another time when it's not after 2 am and I'm due up at 7 am.

SOOO exciting!!!  Congratulations!!  What is he leaning towards??

I am curious though--for USAFA, did your ds get a portal update, or a phone call or . . . ? . . . to let him know?

• Like 1

Poor boy...he left for work early Friday am, the 13th. Of course, he checked his USAFA online portal before leaving...no status update there. He worked til 5 pm. When he arrived home and checked his email, he had a note from the Senator's office saying, "Please call me. I'll be here until 4:30 pm today." DS tried calling to no avail-offices were closed. Oh, dear. He had to wait all weekend. First thing yesterday, he contacted the senator and they informed him of his USAFA appointment.

USNA appointed him prior to their regular admissions deadline close, so he's known about that since the third week of January. It was impressive that they flew in under the radar like that, no pun intended. He received notice of this appointment via a TWE (thin white envelope) from our Member of Congress.

He is thrilled with both appointments, and is doing his due diligence before he makes his final decision.

One thing that was kind of neat. He analyzed all the info he could find from last year, and he had told me he thought that if he was going to get an AF appointment, he thought it would come on 3/13. So he nailed that one!

I think it is just beginning to sink in with me. He has worked so hard for this for the past four and 1/2 years. I am just so very grateful and happy that his hard work resulted in him achieving his goal. We've learned so much along this path.

When I am further in my recovery from elbow and hand surgery and have had more time to process everything, I'll write a post of our lessons learned...so that those of you with children who have similar goals might benefit from his experiences.

Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 23