Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

momofkhm

2015 College acceptances - is this where it goes?

Oops... UB = SUNY University at Buffalo. A place snowier than home, even.

Ooh, *I* knew what UB was! My dad used to teach there (thermodynamics, I think), so I'm familiar with the campus. And with the snow. :-)

Lots of my cousins are alums. IIRC, it has a really good music dept (among other things). Congrats!

ETA: oh, and my uncle taught martial arts at UB!

Dd accepted to University of Texas at Austin today.

Congrats! I know theirs is kind of a crazy system. I have two non-homeschooling friends who have been suffering through as their children were not auto-admits. I have not heard results from them which is making me nervous, though I could not tell if all decisions were released yesterday or not.

Congrats to your DD! What is her major?

Thanks, Hoggirl!

Dd wants to major in accounting, so she was accepted to McCombs at UT Austin.

Thankfully, UT Austin is the last college for which she was awaiting a decision. Dd is my oldest, so I was a little nervous about the college application process. WTM worked though. Thanks SWB!

A little late.  DD was accepted to her top choice, Concordia University Irvine, with a $7500/yr merit scholarship.

Still waiting on department scholarship offers.

Now is the time acceptance will start rolling in for DD.

First acceptance to safety school: Cal Poly Electrical Engineering.  

Nice! SLO or Pomona?

ETA: Of course, I mean only if you want to tell.  :)

Received a likely letter from Columbia University! (Totally shocked. But homeschoolers can make it to the Ivy League!)

Also accepted to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (waiting on merit aid), George Mason's honors college (with 10k merit aid), University of Maryland's honors college (waiting on merit aid), and the University of Alabama's honors college (finalist for the CBHP research honors program, guaranteed NMF full-tuition+ scholarship). I'm still waiting to hear from the rest. I'm excited for next year! 

Received a likely letter from Columbia University! (Totally shocked. But homeschoolers can make it to the Ivy League!)

Also accepted to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (waiting on merit aid), George Mason's honors college (with 10k merit aid), University of Maryland's honors college (waiting on merit aid), and the University of Alabama's honors college (finalist for the CBHP research honors program, guaranteed NMF full-tuition+ scholarship). I'm still waiting to hear from the rest. I'm excited for next year! 

Congratulations! This is awesome news! 

Accepted to Cal State Fullerton today! This is a safety school that is looking more and more appealing by the minute, if you've seen any of my financial aide freak out posts.

We're awaiting one last college, Cal State Long Beach, which would probably be the first choice safety.

DD was just awarded the Presidential Scholarship at RIT. :thumbup1:

So happy for her! Highest merit award available there. :)

Apropos of the discussions on this board, it isn't enough to make it a done deal, but we'll see what they offer for finaid.

Scoutermom, that would frustrated me A LOT! I hope you hear something soon. I have a feeling though that the lack of communication may indicate a no.

One thing to remember is that really, there just isn't anyway to know why for the most part as long as the school was not a reach to begin with because it could be anything including zip code or too many applicants declaring that major this year or whatever. Freshman classes are put together rather eclectically these days for all except the least selective schools.

I love reading this thread!  Congratulations all around!

My ds1 just got accepted to VA Tech, into their engineering department.  Now he can accept his AF ROTC scholarship, since that was his first choice civilian school, and he needed to have an acceptance letter to show the ROTC people.  Still waiting to hear from USAFA . . .

My ds1 just got accepted to VA Tech, into their engineering department.  Now he can accept his AF ROTC scholarship, since that was his first choice civilian school, and he needed to have an acceptance letter to show the ROTC people.  Still waiting to hear from USAFA . . .

Wonderful!  :hurray:

Gotta add an extra :party: for my Alma mater AND the Corps of Cadets!!!  I wasn't engineering though - that was hubby...

wild iris on SLO;

My dd goes there.  She loves the school....she is marine bio.   ..... She knows engineers thru her dancing.    Huge congrats "Go 'Stangs"!!!

I know this isn't an acceptance but I didn't want to begin a new thread and need to vent.

My son applied to an OOS he believed would be a decent fit.  I think the decision is going to be a NO for my son but we don't know why.  He submitted his application in December and there is still no decision; it's a rolling admission and typical turnaround is 3-6 weeks.  We called last week and his application is complete (dated Jan 6th) but the admission rep said it is marked "No decision".  She had a nervous laugh and kept saying "Um, yeah.  No decision." She then told us to call back in mid to late March if we still haven't heard anything. It's already been 10 weeks. That phone call was the only communication with a person at this particular school.  It would have been nice if the school had sent an acknowledgement of receipt of application or an email stating the reason for the delay.

We looked up the school on College Confidential and, after reading the stats of those who have been accepted and comparing my son's other admissions and merit awards, he was a competitive candidate for admission to this school.

It is really frustrating since he had submitted his application in plenty of time to be considered for scholarships but with no action on the application he missed the scholarship deadlines.

Aw. That is frustrating. :( Do you think it's a financial aid thing, like if they can meet need or a balancing the class composition thing?

Aw. That is frustrating. :( Do you think it's a financial aid thing, like if they can meet need or a balancing the class composition thing?

nm

I apologize for venting.  This thread should be for celebrating!

DS has been accepted into the Honors Program at Eckerd and awarded a freshman Marine Science Research Assistantship.  I hope the financial aid office comes through and helps make this a feasible option.

DS has been accepted into the Honors Program at Eckerd and awarded a freshman Marine Science Research Assistantship.  I hope the financial aid office comes through and helps make this a feasible option.

Hooray, hooray, hooray!!! very cool additional recognition.

Congratulations to all! So much good news!

Maria

:hurray: Congratulations to all the admits!

DS has been accepted to:

New Mexico Tech (scholarship) 

Cal Poly Pomona 

University of Minnesota (scholarship)

Cal State U - Northridge

He's so happy about his future and can't wait for Aug. to arrive  :001_smile:. Such a contrast from all the stress of junior year!

My son got into Rochester Institute of Technology yesterday!

He has already been accepted to his first choice school, but it was great to get another acceptance!

nm

I apologize for venting.  This thread should be for celebrating!

Start a vent thread - I bet you'll have company in no time!

Happy Day!

DD got her acceptance letter to the University of Rochester!

:party:

:party: I've heard that's a good school.  :D

ps  Middle son said to be sure she signs up for the right FB page.  Apparently there's an "unofficial" page out there this year with oodles of ads on it - mainly intended for advertising purposes.  The correct page description will say it is the "official" page.

Happy Day!

DD got her acceptance letter to the University of Rochester!

:party:

My DD just got her acceptance to the University of Rochester too! She was accepted into their School of Engineering. 

My DD just got her acceptance to the University of Rochester too! She was accepted into their School of Engineering. 

:party:  More congratulations!  And ditto the thoughts about the FB page from middle son!

If anyone accepted to URoc wants e-mail contact with middle son for any questions (or whatever), feel free to send me a pm.  He's an RA (with freshmen), so knows a bit about the campus both officially and unofficially.

A big congratulations to all of those whose children have received happy news.

Hoping that those who have been waiting patiently (and impatiently) will soon hear good news.  April is coming.

And consolation (and chocolate and ice cream) to those who have been disappointed.

Regards,

Kareni

Ds got into UMBC today!  So he will have a choice.  Even with the scholarship he got from Drexel, it is waaaaay more expensive than UMBC. 

No new admissions here but the financial aid packages are beginning to arrive.  DS received an $11,000 IL Achievement scholarship for UIUC.

He is also beginning to receive emails telling him to make sure he can access his online accounts for some of the April 1 notifications.

Another update.  My son ended up being three for three in the college admissions game.  He was just accepted to MIT! :svengo: :party:

Big congratulations!!! 

I wish DD would have applied to MIT. She even visited, but thought it was beyond her reach.

Another update.  My son ended up being three for three in the college admissions game.  He was just accepted to MIT! :svengo: :party:

Congratulations to you both!

Wow, it's party time. I love this time of year!!! It's so much fun to see our kids making that next big leap into adulthood because it is so exciting for them. :hurray:  :hurray: :hurray:  

Washington University in St. Louis- A rejection :confused1:  I now know why DD was soooo grouchy at the beginning of March.

Georgia Tech - An Acceptance :hurray:  

It is so hard to keep perspective in this hyper-competitive college application game. I am glad I consented to DD's request to apply 12 colleges and universities.  (-15 The UC's are one application, but it costs extra $$ to send to each UC.) Originally, I thought DD's plan not just expensive but overkill. But now she feels like she has a choice rather than taking second best or being outright rejected and no plan"B". I am looking forward to the end of April when this all of this will be decided, and we can move on to AP tests.