Menu

2015 College acceptances - is this where it goes?

momofkhm

Dd was accepted to her first choice college yesterday!

Bennington College in Vermont.

She is THRILLED. 

Congratulations to your daughter and to others who are getting happy news!

Wishing patience to all those who wait.

I first heard of Bennington College in a book I read and loved as a young teen. 

The Cheerleader by Ruth Doan MacDougall

The mother of one of the main character's friends had attended Bennington.  (I believe that the main character attends it herself in a follow up book, but I never read that one.)  The book left me with a very positive Bennington association.  Wishing your daughter well there!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

The universe heard me whining yesterday and rewarded me with a big envelope from Clarkson, sitting on the kitchen table, waiting for dd to get home from work. :)

Still waiting on 5 others.

ETA: 1/31 I was wrong --- heard from UBuffalo today.... accepted. She was actually at UB for honors college/pres scholarship interview when the letter came. The honors college was very impressive... I hope it comes to pass.

2 down, 4 to go.

• Like 33

My dd did get her first acceptance about ten days ago- Rhodes College in Memphis TN.  And no, she did not do 2 SAT IIs (as their website said homeschoolers were required to have but there was no way she could do that by the time she decided to apply there).  She did have a chemistry class at UAH and a chemistry lab in which she got A's and also got a very strong recommendation from her chemistry professor.  She also had ACT scores that showed she was not badly educated and had a strong counselor recommendation from her cover school.  We also visited the campus and she had an interview there.

Now we wait for four other schools and visits to any others she is admitted to.

• Like 36

My dd did get her first acceptance about ten days ago- Rhodes College in Memphis TN. And no, she did not do 2 SAT IIs (as their website said homeschoolers were required to have but there was no way she could do that by the time she decided to apply there). She did have a chemistry class at UAH and a chemistry lab in which she got A's and also got a very strong recommendation from her chemistry professor. She also had ACT scores that showed she was not badly educated and had a strong counselor recommendation from her cover school. We also visited the campus and she had an interview there.

Now we wait for four other schools and visits to any others she is admitted to.

Great info! Rhodes is of interest to my 2016 grad but the SAT 2 requirement is a drawback.

And Congratulations!

• Like 2

The universe heard me whining yesterday and rewarded me with a big envelope from Clarkson, sitting on the kitchen table, waiting for dd to get home from work. :)

Still waiting on 5 others... I predict we will hear in this order:

RIT, UB, Case, UR, Cornell

It was an admission, wasn't it? 

• Like 1

My oldest daughter, homeschooled since third grade, is now 4/4 for college acceptances!!  She's been accepted at University of Oklahoma, Southern Methodist University, New College of Florida, and UNC-Chapel Hill!  We're still waiting to hear back from her real reaches, but it feels good to have some options.  Thanks to all of those here that have helped out along the way!

~Shewhoseeks

• Like 35

Can I just say how fun this thread is each year? And can I add that it is particularly fun when having this process behind us and viewing it as a mere spectator rather than a participant? :D

I know it's wonderful having those safeties in, but I also know it is grueling waiting on those reaches. Hang in there, folks!

• Like 20

Can I just say how fun this thread is each year? And can I add that it is particularly fun when having this process behind us and viewing it as a mere spectator rather than a participant? :D

Yes.  Last year was pretty fraught.  I have a breather before going through it all again with Hobbes.

Congratulations to all those accepted this year!

L

• Like 6

Ds received an appointment to West Point (USMA) today!  He was pretty excited--it is definitely a "big fat envelope" that comes!  We were surprised because we weren't expecting to hear from them until after Feb. 28, since that was the date they said in a general email admissions sent out a few weeks ago.  Ds only had a Presidential nomination there.  So--exciting! 

Now we are anxiously waiting to hear from his first choice, USAFA--where he has 3 nominations!  Radio silence from them though . . .

Ds was also awarded a 4 year full Army ROTC scholarship yesterday, so it has been a big Army weekend here!

:party:  :party: :party:  

Ds received an appointment to West Point (USMA) today!  He was pretty excited--it is definitely a "big fat envelope" that comes!  We were surprised because we weren't expecting to hear from them until after Feb. 28, since that was the date they said in a general email admissions sent out a few weeks ago.  Ds only had a Presidential nomination there.  So--exciting! 

Now we are anxiously waiting to hear from his first choice, USAFA--where he has 3 nominations!  Radio silence from them though . . .

Ds was also awarded a 4 year full Army ROTC scholarship yesterday, so it has been a big Army weekend here!

What an honor. Congratulations.

• Like 2

Ds received an appointment to West Point (USMA) today! He was pretty excited--it is definitely a "big fat envelope" that comes! We were surprised because we weren't expecting to hear from them until after Feb. 28, since that was the date they said in a general email admissions sent out a few weeks ago. Ds only had a Presidential nomination there. So--exciting!

Now we are anxiously waiting to hear from his first choice, USAFA--where he has 3 nominations! Radio silence from them though . . .

That's awesome. Congratulations to both of you.

• Like 1

Dd just got her acceptance to St. Mary's College of Maryland. They called her "Presidential Priority," which I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it sure sounds nice! They are offering some small scholarships; $1,000/renewable four years, and a $500 for the Presidential thing.

• Like 26

DS was accepted to the University of Illinois - U/C.  He was also accepted to the Honors Program.

This school had a great way to notify accepted applicants.

Notification went online at 4pm.  DS logged in at 3:35 to make sure his account worked.  As soon as he logged in, a bright red and orange screen flashed up  "DS - You are an Illini!"  The school calls it the Boom moment.

There is a link to follow so you can relive the Boom.

• Like 31

Still waiting here.. But our colleges do admissions later than in the States, so no reason to panic. The first deadline for admission (to send stuff in) is tomorrow. No early admission process in my country.

Yet, we wait, and it's nerve wracking!

Waiting is hard.  My Father-in-Law used to say to the children, when they were waiting for food to come at a restaurant, 'I'll wait for you.'  So I'll wait for you, Cleo.

L

• Like 10

DS was accepted to the University of Illinois - U/C.  He was also accepted to the Honors Program.

This school had a great way to notify accepted applicants.

Notification went online at 4pm.  DS logged in at 3:35 to make sure his account worked.  As soon as he logged in, a bright red and orange screen flashed up  "DS - You are an Illini!"  The school calls it the Boom moment.

There is a link to follow so you can relive the Boom.

A friend's son just got this! He forwarded a screenshot to his mom, who shared it with me Friday evening. Yes, it's cool!

It's his first acceptance, so a great moment.He is homeschooled, but his mother isn't on WTM ..

• Like 5

2nd admission today with a very nice letter about how much she liked dad's essay and how impressed they were with all of her activities. Trinity University in San Antonio so 2 for 2 so far. We are still waiting for at least 2 more. She is debating applying to one more tomorrow. I haven't gone over all the particulars but it looks like both schools so far are giving enough that it may actually be a full ride at both for 3/4 years.

When she will get mail from Massachusetts is anyone's guess with the non stop snow and blizzards there.

• Like 24

Oops... UB = SUNY University at Buffalo. A place snowier than home, even.

Ooh, *I* knew what UB was! My dad used to teach there (thermodynamics, I think), so I'm familiar with the campus. And with the snow. :-)

Lots of my cousins are alums. IIRC, it has a really good music dept (among other things). Congrats!

ETA: oh, and my uncle taught martial arts at UB!

• Like 7

Dd accepted to University of Texas at Austin today.

Congrats! I know theirs is kind of a crazy system. I have two non-homeschooling friends who have been suffering through as their children were not auto-admits. I have not heard results from them which is making me nervous, though I could not tell if all decisions were released yesterday or not.

Congrats to your DD! What is her major?

• Like 1