Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

momofkhm

2015 College acceptances - is this where it goes?

Our dd1 is an artist, so her list is a little different from everyone else's, but we found out today that she is 5 for 5!!  She has acceptances to:

1. our local Uni. (Honors College, merit aid) - she has taken classes there in high school

2. Savannah College of Art and Design - Savannah, GA (merit aid)

3. Ringling College of Art & Design - Sarasota, FL (merit aid)

4. Maryland Institute College of Art - Baltimore, MD (merit aid, awaiting competitive scholarship results)

5. VCUArts (Virginia Commonwealth University) - Richmond, VA (still awaiting scholarship info/Honors College)

We are so excited!  I am so relieved and pleased to know that our grand homeschooling experiment was a success.  She has had the freedom to be herself and develop her gifts--even with a totally non-artistic mom for a teacher.  :001_smile:   I am just bursting with happiness!

If I might ask, what is your "local Uni?" You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm asking because I want to add it to the cumulative list. 

ETA: Currently it is under the heading "Local University/Not Specified."

Sure, TechWife--Old Dominion University.  :001_smile:

Melissa, so far SCAD has offered the least amount of merit aid of any school, but I'm not sure it's their "final offer."  Dd's admissions counselor told us an academic award was coming soon (this was back in Nov!), so I'm not sure if it is or not.  At first she received a very small offer, then we received an updated, larger offer ($5000/yr) based on her award in the Congressional Art Competition.  She has applied for an additional competitive scholarship, but we know that's a long shot.  SCAD has accepted almost all of her dual enrollment credits, though, so that's a plus.  Also, it costs about $10,000 less than most art schools.

Ringling doesn't offer a lot of merit aid.  They offer one full tuition (not a full ride) scholarship to the top applicant in each major, and these are extremely competitive.  Dd got the Dean's Scholarship ($10,000/yr), which I believe is the next highest award.

MICA offered a generous merit award ($50,000 total), and dd has also applied for the competitive scholarships--had to submit a research paper for the academic ones and her portfolio will be reviewed for additional art awards.  I'm not sure when we'll find out about these, but if she wins a substantial additional award, MICA may be doable.

Art school is so expensive (!), and there's generally not a lot of merit aid.

One thing to consider is doing the summer programs for the schools she is interested in (dd did this last summer at VCUArts and loved it).  Sometimes these give students a better chance at winning merit awards.  I think RCAD even offers college credit for theirs, if I remember correctly.

Have a great time at Portfolio Day!!

Art school is so expensive (!), and there's generally not a lot of merit aid.

One thing to consider is doing the summer programs for the schools she is interested in (dd did this last summer at VCUArts and loved it).  Sometimes these give students a better chance at winning merit awards.  I think RCAD even offers college credit for theirs, if I remember correctly.

Have a great time at Portfolio Day!!

Elise,

Thanks so much for the information! Dd has applied to the summer program at SCAD. They will give 5 quarter hours of college credit. But, she will need at least a partial scholarship to attend. We will hear about that in March.

I'm glad to hear SCAD accepted dual enrollment credits, that will also be very important to us. RCAD is in-state for us, so they will accept at least some of dd's DE credits.  Thankfully, both SCAD and RCAD will also accept the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship. That almost brings both schools into the realm of affordable for us.

Best of luck to your daughter! I would love to hear where she finally choses to attend.

Elise,

Thanks so much for the information! Dd has applied to the summer program at SCAD. They will give 5 quarter hours of college credit. But, she will need at least a partial scholarship to attend. We will hear about that in March.

I'm glad to hear SCAD accepted dual enrollment credits, that will also be very important to us. RCAD is in-state for us, so they will accept at least some of dd's DE credits.  Thankfully, both SCAD and RCAD will also accept the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship. That almost brings both schools into the realm of affordable for us.

Best of luck to your daughter! I would love to hear where she finally choses to attend.

That's great, Melissa.  Bright Futures is instant merit aid!  So many good things came out of the summer program that dd attended: 1) Dd knows that intense, college-level art is *it* for her. 2) She got to try out a school and knows that she would be happy there--this gives me such peace of mind!

You can ask the SCAD Admissions Counselors to look at her dual enrollment transcript, and they should be able to give you an idea of which credits would transfer.  There really aren't that many academic requirements to begin with for the BFA, so your dd probably has way more than she will need.  As far as art credits go, they will probably look at her portfolio to decide which of the foundation classes she will receive credit for.  My guess is that most other art schools won't give credit for art foundations classes--they want you to start from square one with them.

Acceptance # 4

Abilene Christian, 4 year, $44k merit scholarship.

Joanne, that's marvelous! :hurray:  :hurray: :hurray:  

4 schools, with scholarships at each!  Woot!  So happy for you and your daughter!

We don't have the complete  financials yet on any of them.

We only have partial information on 2: half tuition at Schreiner and the $11k per year at Abilene Christian.

I did the FAFSA (estimate, still waiting on tax forms) yesterday, so we'll see.

OK, waiting (very anxiously!!) to hear back from USNA, but happy to announce an acceptance to Texas A&M for my son! Waiting to hear about merit (it's his first choice for National Merit) but it's nice to have something in the yes column.

Dd was accepted to her first choice college yesterday!

Bennington College in Vermont.

She is THRILLED. 

Dd was accepted to her first choice college yesterday!

Bennington College in Vermont.

She is THRILLED. 

Congratulations to your daughter and to others who are getting happy news!

Wishing patience to all those who wait.

I first heard of Bennington College in a book I read and loved as a young teen. 

The Cheerleader by Ruth Doan MacDougall

The mother of one of the main character's friends had attended Bennington.  (I believe that the main character attends it herself in a follow up book, but I never read that one.)  The book left me with a very positive Bennington association.  Wishing your daughter well there!

Regards,

Kareni

The universe heard me whining yesterday and rewarded me with a big envelope from Clarkson, sitting on the kitchen table, waiting for dd to get home from work. :)

Still waiting on 5 others.

ETA: 1/31 I was wrong --- heard from UBuffalo today.... accepted. She was actually at UB for honors college/pres scholarship interview when the letter came. The honors college was very impressive... I hope it comes to pass.

2 down, 4 to go.

My dd did get her first acceptance about ten days ago- Rhodes College in Memphis TN.  And no, she did not do 2 SAT IIs (as their website said homeschoolers were required to have but there was no way she could do that by the time she decided to apply there).  She did have a chemistry class at UAH and a chemistry lab in which she got A's and also got a very strong recommendation from her chemistry professor.  She also had ACT scores that showed she was not badly educated and had a strong counselor recommendation from her cover school.  We also visited the campus and she had an interview there.

Now we wait for four other schools and visits to any others she is admitted to.

My dd did get her first acceptance about ten days ago- Rhodes College in Memphis TN. And no, she did not do 2 SAT IIs (as their website said homeschoolers were required to have but there was no way she could do that by the time she decided to apply there). She did have a chemistry class at UAH and a chemistry lab in which she got A's and also got a very strong recommendation from her chemistry professor. She also had ACT scores that showed she was not badly educated and had a strong counselor recommendation from her cover school. We also visited the campus and she had an interview there.

Now we wait for four other schools and visits to any others she is admitted to.

Great info! Rhodes is of interest to my 2016 grad but the SAT 2 requirement is a drawback.

And Congratulations!

The universe heard me whining yesterday and rewarded me with a big envelope from Clarkson, sitting on the kitchen table, waiting for dd to get home from work. :)

Still waiting on 5 others... I predict we will hear in this order:

RIT, UB, Case, UR, Cornell

It was an admission, wasn't it? 

It was an admission, wasn't it? 

Yes, complete with a recorded welcome message from the Pep band. :)

My oldest daughter, homeschooled since third grade, is now 4/4 for college acceptances!!  She's been accepted at University of Oklahoma, Southern Methodist University, New College of Florida, and UNC-Chapel Hill!  We're still waiting to hear back from her real reaches, but it feels good to have some options.  Thanks to all of those here that have helped out along the way!

~Shewhoseeks

Can I just say how fun this thread is each year? And can I add that it is particularly fun when having this process behind us and viewing it as a mere spectator rather than a participant? :D

I know it's wonderful having those safeties in, but I also know it is grueling waiting on those reaches. Hang in there, folks!

Can I just say how fun this thread is each year? And can I add that it is particularly fun when having this process behind us and viewing it as a mere spectator rather than a participant? :D

Yes.  Last year was pretty fraught.  I have a breather before going through it all again with Hobbes.

Congratulations to all those accepted this year!

L

Ds received an appointment to West Point (USMA) today!  He was pretty excited--it is definitely a "big fat envelope" that comes!  We were surprised because we weren't expecting to hear from them until after Feb. 28, since that was the date they said in a general email admissions sent out a few weeks ago.  Ds only had a Presidential nomination there.  So--exciting! 

Now we are anxiously waiting to hear from his first choice, USAFA--where he has 3 nominations!  Radio silence from them though . . .

Ds was also awarded a 4 year full Army ROTC scholarship yesterday, so it has been a big Army weekend here!

Ds received an appointment to West Point (USMA) today!  He was pretty excited--it is definitely a "big fat envelope" that comes!  We were surprised because we weren't expecting to hear from them until after Feb. 28, since that was the date they said in a general email admissions sent out a few weeks ago.  Ds only had a Presidential nomination there.  So--exciting! 

Now we are anxiously waiting to hear from his first choice, USAFA--where he has 3 nominations!  Radio silence from them though . . .

Ds was also awarded a 4 year full Army ROTC scholarship yesterday, so it has been a big Army weekend here!

:party:  :party: :party:  

We just got word that dd has received a full tuition scholarship to VCU and admittance to the Honors College!  Their art school is #4 in the US--we are so excited!!!

What an honor. Congratulations.

My dd just found out (2 hours ago) that she has been accepted to Vanderbilt! This is Early Decision 2 so it is binding provided that we can afford their financial aid package (they meet 100% of demonstrated need...we will see).

She is over the moon :)

# 5 - Her "safe school" was Sam Houston. No financials yet.

# 6 - Her second choice - Our Lady of the Lake (San Antonio) with a $12k a year merit scholarship.

No, I guess we just use fastweb and wait for the financials based on the FAFSA. ??

Ds received an appointment to West Point (USMA) today! He was pretty excited--it is definitely a "big fat envelope" that comes! We were surprised because we weren't expecting to hear from them until after Feb. 28, since that was the date they said in a general email admissions sent out a few weeks ago. Ds only had a Presidential nomination there. So--exciting!

Now we are anxiously waiting to hear from his first choice, USAFA--where he has 3 nominations! Radio silence from them though . . .

That's awesome. Congratulations to both of you.

DD just got acceptance from University of Delaware! She is overjoyed! (Me too.)

Instead of waiting for the mailman, I should have been checking email! 

DS had a notification from Grinnell!  He was admitted with a generous scholarship.

ETA:  I am so happy DS checked. He rarely checks his email on the weekends.

Do we need to start an official list only thread? 

It would be great to have this info readily available, esp for those who may not be looking through this thread.

Techwife - do you want to take point on this?  since you are doing such a good job already. :coolgleamA: :hurray: :hurray:

Dd just got her acceptance to St. Mary's College of Maryland. They called her "Presidential Priority," which I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it sure sounds nice! They are offering some small scholarships; $1,000/renewable four years, and a $500 for the Presidential thing.

UPDATE: DS received a Presidential Scholarship to NIU. This is a fullride scholarship. He is fairly stoked. There is an anthro prof at NIU that DS would love to work with.

Awesome!!!!! :party:

DS was accepted to the University of Illinois - U/C.  He was also accepted to the Honors Program.

This school had a great way to notify accepted applicants.

Notification went online at 4pm.  DS logged in at 3:35 to make sure his account worked.  As soon as he logged in, a bright red and orange screen flashed up  "DS - You are an Illini!"  The school calls it the Boom moment.

There is a link to follow so you can relive the Boom.

DS was accepted to the University of Illinois - U/C. He was also accepted to the Honors Program.

Yay! May I be nosy and ask what major he is considering?

Still waiting here.. But our colleges do admissions later than in the States, so no reason to panic. The first deadline for admission (to send stuff in) is tomorrow. No early admission process in my country.

Yet, we wait, and it's nerve wracking!

Still waiting here.. But our colleges do admissions later than in the States, so no reason to panic. The first deadline for admission (to send stuff in) is tomorrow. No early admission process in my country.

Yet, we wait, and it's nerve wracking!

Waiting is hard.  My Father-in-Law used to say to the children, when they were waiting for food to come at a restaurant, 'I'll wait for you.'  So I'll wait for you, Cleo.

L

DS was accepted to the University of Illinois - U/C.  He was also accepted to the Honors Program.

This school had a great way to notify accepted applicants.

Notification went online at 4pm.  DS logged in at 3:35 to make sure his account worked.  As soon as he logged in, a bright red and orange screen flashed up  "DS - You are an Illini!"  The school calls it the Boom moment.

There is a link to follow so you can relive the Boom.

A friend's son just got this! He forwarded a screenshot to his mom, who shared it with me Friday evening. Yes, it's cool!

It's his first acceptance, so a great moment.He is homeschooled, but his mother isn't on WTM ..

2nd admission today with a very nice letter about how much she liked dad's essay and how impressed they were with all of her activities. Trinity University in San Antonio so 2 for 2 so far. We are still waiting for at least 2 more. She is debating applying to one more tomorrow. I haven't gone over all the particulars but it looks like both schools so far are giving enough that it may actually be a full ride at both for 3/4 years.

When she will get mail from Massachusetts is anyone's guess with the non stop snow and blizzards there.

Got another admission today - the last one we were waiting on. UMBC -University of Maryland Baltimore County (affectionately known as "Cannabis U"). ;)

DD was accepted at Rochester Institute of Technology today... I did the happy dance because it's in my back yard. (Is that so wrong, I ask?? :laugh: )

She was also accepted into the Honors College at UB with a Provost scholarship. Yippee!

Still waiting on three more...