Menu

2015 College acceptances - is this where it goes?

momofkhm

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages." - Thomas Alva Edison

: )

The quote is nice, but ironic considering the source.  Edison, to further his position the the War of Currents, killed all kinds of creatures, including an elephant, by electrocution.  Google if you dare.

• Like 2

The quote is nice, but ironic considering the source.  Edison, to further his position the the War of Currents, killed all kinds of creatures, including an elephant, by electrocution.  Google if you dare.

Well, it must have worried him considerably for him to decide to say something like that.

Sometimes, we discover something is a mistake AFTER we make it.

Definitely not googling.  : )

Nan

• Like 2

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages." - Thomas Alva Edison

: )

Aw, I kind of forgot I had that there. I do agree with it, though...well, mostly, until I get stepped all over yet again because I have been gentle with someone when I should have been hard. Although he did say it leads to the highest ethics, not that it gave you the temporary satisfaction of having told someone off.

• Like 2

Add another to the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa. He has been given full scholarship, engineering scholarship and has been admitted to the honors college and is awaiting to hear about the fellowship program. Awesome! As we couldn't afford to send him to college any other way.

Was admitted to UNC at Asheville but haven't heard anything about scholarships yet.

Any WTMs attending Capstone at Bama this weekend?

• Like 33

DS is high stats, high EFC.  He will be earning his AA in Engineering through dual enrollment this spring, but applied as an incoming freshman for scholarships.  What we looked for:

*Schools that gave substantial merit money, rather than higher ranked ones where we would be full pay.

*Easy applications that did not require asking people to write recommendations.  I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to waste teachers and coaches time on a school that only had a 10% chance of ds ultimately deciding on that school. 

*No higher than a 3.0 gpa required to keep the scholarship. 

DS applied to and was accepted at 6 universities:

*University of Alabama:  Presidential (full tuition) and Engineering Bonus $.

*University of Alabama Huntsville:  Full Tuition.  They allow score updates through senior year, so he will try for a room & board as well.

*Louisiana Tech:  Full Ride (room, board, tuition, fees).

*Michigan Tech:  Good Merit $$.

*Iowa State:  Good Merit $$.

*Montana State:  Good Merit $$.

We also planned to apply to Georgia Tech, Colorado School of Mines, and Missouri University of Science & Tech.  But it didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t look like the merit $$ would be high enough to lure us away from UA, UAH or LATech.  Plus MUST requires a 3.25gpa to keep scholarship. 

DS and DH will be busy this spring break making campus visits.  Right now UAH is probably our 1st choice.  Thank you to everyone on this board who shared their college search experiences.  It was tremendously helpful in making and revising our list.

• Like 30

Ds got his acceptance e-mail this morning. I only know because he rarely checks that e-mail and I peeked this morning. I don't know any further details as he isn't even awake yet. I'll post more when I find out. 

:toetap05:

Wake him up and tell him The Hive is waiting. 

:tongue_smilie:

• Like 16

3rd acceptance: Mary Hardin Baylor. She first got a wait listed letter, followed less than a week later by an "acceptance" letter that says, basically that although her test scores are below their usual standards, other things indicate that she's do well at their institution and that she's been accepted into their program with extra support for her Freshman year.

• Like 42

Joanne, that's great! C got into Alma College with a lot of scholarship money despite the lower ACT score this fall. They took into account his concussion and slower processing speed and the fact that though our NEURO doc sent in all of the necessary paperwork to get him an accommodation (more time, and due to the leg, breaks in between to walk so it wouldn't seize up on him), the school did not provide it. GRRRR....however, it still worked out. We have found admissions people to really be looking at more than just numbers. I am so happy for your dd!

• Like 10

I'm updating.

My daughter is now 5 for 5. OMG!

She was just accepted to Ithaca College for speech pathology with a $13,000/year scholarship.

She is ecstatic!

**My son had been in hospital for 6 days and we got home yesterday and finally got around to going to mailbox. It was a very nice surprise!

• Like 34

I always enjoy browsing this thread.  I never have much to say since my child isn't here yet but I find it very encouraging and fun :)

It is fun comparing threads like these with the point blank announcement of the ps guidance counselor (in that thread not too long ago) who claimed that homeschoolers can't go to any college.   :lol:

• Like 18

It is fun comparing threads like these with the point blank announcement of the ps guidance counselor (in that thread not too long ago) who claimed that homeschoolers can't go to any college.   :lol:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know. It's a hard not to snort a little. I recently had a public school teacher ask me if ds was going into my dad's business since there would be no other option for him. She was rather embarrassed and a little stunned when he showed her his college acceptance letters. She didn't have much to say after that.

• Like 12

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know. It's a hard not to snort a little. I recently had a public school teacher ask me if ds was going into my dad's business since there would be no other option for him. She was rather embarrassed and a little stunned when he showed her his college acceptance letters. She didn't have much to say after that.

You wouldn't have any objection to wearing a live streaming GoPro, would you? You have some of the best encounters.

• Like 7

I took a look at our acceptances (see cumulative list in post #136). I thought some of you might find this interesting: 

The cumulative list of college admissions includes: 

30 parents

32 students (two of you are sending twins off to college)

59 colleges & universities

72 admissions

I added the info to my previous post, although  realize I may be the only one that gets into this level of detail! 

ETA: I am also updating the list in post # 136. I am trying to keep it simple, so I am not updating it here. 

• Like 16

I took a look at our acceptances (see cumulative list in post #136). I thought some of you might find this interesting: 

30 parents

72 admissions

I added the info to my previous post, although  realize I may be the only one that gets into this level of detail! 

Do we need to start an official list only thread? 

• Like 3

30 parents

72 admissions

I love it when other people get into this level of for me!

• Like 3

You wouldn't have any objection to wearing a live streaming GoPro, would you? You have some of the best encounters.

I would love to just avoid these people. Really. I need to wear something that says, "If you are willfully ignorant or just plain mean, please step away from me before I lose my crazy all over you!" Of course, I don't wear such a sweatshirt and instead go around in regular garb. Sigh...

Mostly, it's my fault for hanging out at school and township board meetings. You would just not believe how many uninformed individuals are in leadership, the district superintendent of schools being one of the worst offenders!!! Oh, and 4-H Council. I sit on 4-H Council and advise on science topics to state 4-H. :smash:  :smash: :smash:  I could never run for office. I barely manage the encounters at this level. Heaven help me if I went more extreme and did something truly looney like run for County Commissioner!   :svengo:

• Like 4

30 parents

72 admissions

I was hoping you would add the scholarship amounts!  ;)

Something like 1.7 million in merit aid!

• Like 7

I will post dollar amounts so far if that will help future parents out there have an idea what could be available to their students:

$12,000.00 - University of Michigan, approximately a half ride at the main campus. If he chose to attend the Flint campus for a year while he continues recovering from the accident, it would be a full ride + and that would include dorms (though not quite enough for books and some small stuff...not a problem for us to handle that though).  Renewable based on GPA, so a total of $48,000.00. He is also in a pool for some smaller ones as well. It will be the end of February before we know about those.

$20,000.00  - Alma College, and he competed for an additional $4000.00, has applied for the Christian Leadership award of $1000.00, and has an art portfolio being evaluated for more merit. He would need for his merit aid to hit $30,000.00 all of it renewable in order for us to afford the school because even when we take out costs that we can budget for and do not need to add to the "total bill" such as books, transportation, and personal supplies, it still falls in the $42,000.00 a year range and with two other boys to put through, we have to cap out our contribution at about $7000.00 a year. We are fine with him taking out the $5500.00 in federal students loans because the interest rates are low and the repayment terms excellent.

$2500.00 - 4H County scholarship. He is now in the top five for this, but won't know until March. This is a one time, freshman gift so he can't count on that for the rest of his years. But, still...it's a nice chunk of change for the first year.

At this point, Alma is a wonderful fit, but not such a stellar fit over U of MI (partially because ds is a social butterfly and tends to bloom wherever he is planted, so to speak) that though our hearts desire would be for him to attend, it would not result in us taking out parent plus loans or allowing him to take out Sallie Mae's which are riskier, and well, a lot like getting involved with loan sharks!

So, he may very well land with U of Michigan and be another wolverine in a Spartan house, and that will be okay because it was an excellent school for our dd. It's a top school. Nothing to shake a stick at. It just doesn't have the small class sizes, homey atmosphere, study abroad, or internship possibilities that Alma has, and it will be VERY difficult for him to be involved in the arts on the side as he would at Alma.

Northern Michigan offered him $9,000.00 on a $19.000 ish total, and there were a couple of smaller scholarships he could have also applied for as well. It was obviously doable, but their arts are extraordinarily limited, he would not have been eligible to get into an art or music class, they had just offered early retirement to their two most decorated writing professors and were NOT replacing them - sign of a shrinking department - and with his injuries going north to a longer, more bitter winter was not wise and especially such a long distance from his medical team. So, he turned them down at the beginning of December. He was offered a job in the writing lab based on his portfolio of writing that he took to his faculty interview. That was an honor and a good boost to his self esteem. Oh, this dollar amount was renewable as well.

So essentially, pretty close to a half ride, or full tuition and fees at the state schools, and close to half ride or more than full tuition and fees for Alma.

Oh, Western Michigan...that was a more last minute application though we met the scholarship deadlines. Still waiting to hear from them, but I'd say that it's a long shot that he would attend, again because it's just far enough out from his medical team to make him nervous.

How is it we have managed to be 4-H leaders and will likely not have a single child even apply to MSU??? :lol:

• Like 12

I didn't see the part about amounts. Full tuition is just over $13K a year now, so all 4 years will be $52K+. 

While it's interesting to see the dollar amount attached to scholarships, it's your choice whether or not to post them, no pressure! 

• Like 2

Here are the merit aid awards (per year) my dd received:

Whitworth - $14,000
Seattle Pacific University - $12,000 + $1,500 alumni (my graduate work here)

George Fox - $13,000

Linfield - $19,000

She homeschooled 1st - 5th, then 7th-10th, then 2 years as a full-time DE.  She has average ACT/SAT test scores, but she did well as a DE student. I give credit to her success, in part, based on her great work ethic (one of the many things I am proud of her for).

I am providing this information so folks who don't have crazy talented/brilliant students know that their child can be academically successful as well.

• Like 10

30 parents

72 admissions

Someone needs to go into this level of detail!  It would make a nice sticky, something to send new and unsure homeschoolers to read.  Shoot, homeschooling moms of young teens, ready to flush their kids down the toilet, could probably use some reassurance that it really does work out! 

I've thought for a while that someone (cough cough, TechWife) could compile a master list of all the colleges WTM kids have attended. Or some kind of list for the past 4-5 years. This particular board didn't start until a few years ago, so the announcements before that were all on the high school board.  I can remember when Jane in NC's son was a senior, one of "our" kids applied to a ridiculous number of colleges and was accepted to all of them.  

• Like 9

And also, I'd like to point out that my C is the least academically driven of the kids. He has good GPA, but middle of the road ACT scores. He did some neat things with his extracurriculars, and were it not for the car accident and head injury, probably could have upped the ACT. But, it is what it is, and he's had excellent merit. We were really on edge at college app time and wondered how it would all pan out, but it has been great! So do not discount the fact that an awful lot of schools are looking at the student as a whole, not just numbers on a page. I do think it helps to come with a list of schools where there are reaches, but then mids, and safeties but where the safety is an excellent fit, excellent choice for intended major, and a happy place to land. Don't put anything on the list that will be a disappointment. That way it doesn't matter so much whether crazy priced LAC in perfect land coughs up major aid or not. There are so many choices out there; so many places to bloom.

• Like 8

This is one of my favorite threads each year!!  Especially this year as my twin daughters are seniors!!

They have been accepted to every school we applied to so far:

Baylor University with $64,000 scholarship each ($16,000 per year)

Abilene Christian with $80,000 Scholarship each ($20,000 per year)

Santa Clara University (haven't heard if any scholarship yet)

St. Mary's of California with $96,000 scholarship each ($24,000 per year)

Texas Christian University (haven't heard if any scholarship yet)

They should hear from Southern Methodist University this week and University of San Diego in February.

Congrats to everyone!!  It is such an amazing accomplishment!

Grace

Congrats to everyone!!  I love reading about everyone's success!!  And I love the list from TechWife of the cumulative list of college admissions!!  

Just wanted to update our list.  Both twins were accepted to Southern Methodist University with $10,000 per year of merit scholarship.  And we finally heard about merit scholarship from Texas Christian University with the amount of $18,000 per year.

Still waiting for University of San Diego, but not expecting that until mid February.  Baylor University seems to be my twins first choice.  

• Like 25

Our dd1 is an artist, so her list is a little different from everyone else's, but we found out today that she is 5 for 5!!  She has acceptances to:

1. Old Dominion University (Honors College, merit aid) - she has taken classes there in high school

2. Savannah College of Art and Design - Savannah, GA (merit aid)

3. Ringling College of Art & Design - Sarasota, FL (merit aid)

4. Maryland Institute College of Art - Baltimore, MD (merit aid, awaiting competitive scholarship results)

5. VCUArts (Virginia Commonwealth University) - Richmond, VA (still awaiting scholarship info/Honors College)

We are so excited!  I am so relieved and pleased to know that our grand homeschooling experiment was a success.  She has had the freedom to be herself and develop her gifts--even with a totally non-artistic mom for a teacher.  :001_smile:   I am just bursting with happiness!

• Like 37

Our dd1 is an artist, so her list is a little different from everyone else's, but we found out today that she is 5 for 5!!  She has acceptances to:

1. our local Uni. (Honors College, merit aid) - she has taken classes there in high school

4. Maryland Institute College of Art - Baltimore, MD (merit aid, awaiting competitive scholarship results)

5. VCUArts (Virginia Commonwealth University) - Richmond, VA (still awaiting scholarship info/Honors College)

We are so excited!  I am so relieved and pleased to know that our grand homeschooling experiment was a success.  She has had the freedom to be herself and develop her gifts--even with a totally non-artistic mom for a teacher.  :001_smile:   I am just bursting with happiness!

Elise,

If I could ask, how did the merit aid at SCAD compare to the merit aid at RCAD?

Both colleges are on my daughter's (very short) list. We are attending National Portfolio Day at Ringling this Sunday and hope to get more information about Ringling and perhaps some other colleges at that point, but SCAD won't be there as they are not a member. My daughter really needs a decent amount of merit aid to attend either college.

ETA: And Congratulations to your daughter!!!

• Like 3

1. our local Uni. (Honors College, merit aid) - she has taken classes there in high school

If I might ask, what is your "local Uni?" You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm asking because I want to add it to the cumulative list. 

ETA: Currently it is under the heading "Local University/Not Specified."

• Like 1

Sure, TechWife--Old Dominion University.  :001_smile:

Melissa, so far SCAD has offered the least amount of merit aid of any school, but I'm not sure it's their "final offer."  Dd's admissions counselor told us an academic award was coming soon (this was back in Nov!), so I'm not sure if it is or not.  At first she received a very small offer, then we received an updated, larger offer ($5000/yr) based on her award in the Congressional Art Competition.  She has applied for an additional competitive scholarship, but we know that's a long shot.  SCAD has accepted almost all of her dual enrollment credits, though, so that's a plus.  Also, it costs about $10,000 less than most art schools.

Ringling doesn't offer a lot of merit aid.  They offer one full tuition (not a full ride) scholarship to the top applicant in each major, and these are extremely competitive.  Dd got the Dean's Scholarship ($10,000/yr), which I believe is the next highest award.

MICA offered a generous merit award ($50,000 total), and dd has also applied for the competitive scholarships--had to submit a research paper for the academic ones and her portfolio will be reviewed for additional art awards.  I'm not sure when we'll find out about these, but if she wins a substantial additional award, MICA may be doable.

Art school is so expensive (!), and there's generally not a lot of merit aid.

One thing to consider is doing the summer programs for the schools she is interested in (dd did this last summer at VCUArts and loved it).  Sometimes these give students a better chance at winning merit awards.  I think RCAD even offers college credit for theirs, if I remember correctly.

Have a great time at Portfolio Day!!

• Like 8

Art school is so expensive (!), and there's generally not a lot of merit aid.

One thing to consider is doing the summer programs for the schools she is interested in (dd did this last summer at VCUArts and loved it).  Sometimes these give students a better chance at winning merit awards.  I think RCAD even offers college credit for theirs, if I remember correctly.

Have a great time at Portfolio Day!!

Elise,

Thanks so much for the information! Dd has applied to the summer program at SCAD. They will give 5 quarter hours of college credit. But, she will need at least a partial scholarship to attend. We will hear about that in March.

I'm glad to hear SCAD accepted dual enrollment credits, that will also be very important to us. RCAD is in-state for us, so they will accept at least some of dd's DE credits.  Thankfully, both SCAD and RCAD will also accept the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship. That almost brings both schools into the realm of affordable for us.

Best of luck to your daughter! I would love to hear where she finally choses to attend.

• Like 3

Elise,

Thanks so much for the information! Dd has applied to the summer program at SCAD. They will give 5 quarter hours of college credit. But, she will need at least a partial scholarship to attend. We will hear about that in March.

I'm glad to hear SCAD accepted dual enrollment credits, that will also be very important to us. RCAD is in-state for us, so they will accept at least some of dd's DE credits.  Thankfully, both SCAD and RCAD will also accept the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship. That almost brings both schools into the realm of affordable for us.

Best of luck to your daughter! I would love to hear where she finally choses to attend.

That's great, Melissa.  Bright Futures is instant merit aid!  So many good things came out of the summer program that dd attended: 1) Dd knows that intense, college-level art is *it* for her. 2) She got to try out a school and knows that she would be happy there--this gives me such peace of mind!

You can ask the SCAD Admissions Counselors to look at her dual enrollment transcript, and they should be able to give you an idea of which credits would transfer.  There really aren't that many academic requirements to begin with for the BFA, so your dd probably has way more than she will need.  As far as art credits go, they will probably look at her portfolio to decide which of the foundation classes she will receive credit for.  My guess is that most other art schools won't give credit for art foundations classes--they want you to start from square one with them.

• Like 2

4 schools, with scholarships at each!  Woot!  So happy for you and your daughter!

We don't have the complete  financials yet on any of them.

We only have partial information on 2: half tuition at Schreiner and the $11k per year at Abilene Christian.

I did the FAFSA (estimate, still waiting on tax forms) yesterday, so we'll see.

• Like 7