Menu

Books for a baby shower gift?

ajfries

My little sister is expecting her first baby in October. She's getting a ton of hand-me-downs from me: baby (and beyond!) clothes, jumper, walker, pack & play. But I definitely want to bring a gift to her shower.

Most everyone else will probably get the baby bath tub & other thing she's registered for, I'd like to give her a jump start on her library :) I'd really love to cover a variety of "stages"; board books, touch & feel books, picture books, nursery rhymes...everything :)  But I'd also love to get one or two parenting books for her.  It would be fun, too, if I could get her kind of a humorous book about motherhood.

Any recommendations? And, also, this is a good idea, right?? We've always been avid readers, but I don't want to be the one to bring the lame-o gift. I've always adored books, and honestly, if someone would have done this for me at my baby shower I probably would've cried (in a good way). :)

I think one of the worst things I've ever done as a parent is read a parenting book. They made feel wrong in my decisions to use a bottle, infant potty train, give food at a young age, etc. I'm a much better parent now that they're gone. I did like The Baby Owners Manual. Sorry for the negative post.

I think one of the worst things I've ever done as a parent is read a parenting book. They made feel wrong in my decisions to use a bottle, infant potty train, give food at a young age, etc. I'm a much better parent now that they're gone. I did like The Baby Owners Manual. Sorry for the negative post.

No, please don't be sorry, that's a good reminder.  I know exactly what you mean. I read The Baby Whisperer when my son was a baby & following the "baby should not need to eat more than every 4 hours" recommendations made for the worse 3 days of my life. I distinctly remember throwing that book away...probably the first book I've every actually trashed.

The Baby Owner's Manual looks great! Something her DH might even pick up and read :)

Congratulations to you and your sister! Your idea is awesome! I was always thrilled to receive books.  Below are some of my favorites; many are available as board books.

Favorite classics:

The Big Red Barn

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Is Your Mama a Llama?

Good Night Moon

Favorite bedtime books:

The Going to Bed Book

When the World Is Ready for Bed

Bedtime in the Jungle

Favorite picture books:

Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm

The Tiger Who Came to Tea

Katy No Pocket

Oh, Were They Ever Happy!

The 14 Bears in Summer and Winter (sadly out of print and pricey now)

Have fun!   :)

I received books as a baby shower gift and think it was the best gift!  It was something dd never outgrew.

Some of our favorites are:  I Love You Forever, I Love you as Much, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, The Little Red Hen, Llama Llama Mad at Mama, and Daddy's Girl.

Maybe instead of parenting books consider giving a cookbook on quick and easy recipes.  There is just so much in parenting books that make you second guess every decision (never in a good way). 

The favorite books I got for my first baby were those that were favorites of the kids of the parents who brought them. Not a "Dr. Seuss" book because it was Dr. Seuss. But "We had many fond hours reading Dr. Brown can Moo, can you. And its especially useful in a thunderstorm to make lightning and thunder sounds with your toddler!"

Some of the books were even the self-same books used by their cousins! Very special and still being loved, 2 kids later.

ETA: I'm not sure I'd give a parenting book. Everyone has their own style and can feel quite judged by gifts like that. "She didn't think I could do a good job"  At the least, I'd give it with a story about how much it helped you or something.  For example, we found the Baby Wise books already panned in this thread quite useful. I know they are generally down-played online, but there are good parents that use them and raise well adjusted kids.

One of my best friends did this for me and it was great. 

Board Books I didn't see mentioned: Clip-Clop, any of the Eric Carle ones, Sandra Boynton books (Moo Moo Baa La La La is my favorite) 

There are so many picture books that I think it would be most meaningful if you picked your personal favorites. Maybe pick one that each of your own kids' loves. 

My SIL gave me a great present when I was in the hospital right after the baby was born. She bought a bunch of junky, guilty pleasure magazines, rolled them up and tied them each with a ribbon. The idea was that I could untie one a day to look at while breastfeeding, with the idea that you don't have a ton of brain power when you are all tired and with a newborn. It was very fun to have magazines I would never buy myself and to have a new one each day to look at. Maybe instead of parenting books you could do something similar or give her some books for her to read herself. Lighter, fun stuff to read in those early days. 

I wouldn't give a parenting book either unless it was an overview of different styles or something. I often give books at showers or as baby gifts. One of my go-to's is The Little Blue Truck... My kids love it (and it comes as a board book)! Some already mentioned that are favorites are Curious George (the older ones), Corduroy and A Pocket for Corduroy and Eric Carle. Madeline is a good one too, if she is having a girl (or even if not, my son likes it too).

Kohl's often has children's classic picture books and Dr. Seuss-type books right near the checkout, with a stuffie for $5; proceeds go to some charity. Might be fun to include one of those. I've seen Put Me In The Zoo recently.

You might also include a book you record! It'd be fun to have your voice "read" to the baby.

I love getting books as baby presents! A few books that I haven't seen mentioned that are a huge hit with my now 15 mo:

Hippoposites

Peek A Who

Tails (Matthew Von Fleet)

This is Not My Hat

The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney

The wheels on the Bus by Paul O Zelinski (I gave to hide this periodically because it is so well loved)

the Spot books

any of the Baby Lit series (Moby Dick and Jabberwocky have been particular favorites)

I've done it - I put a onesie with it, though. :)

A parenting book that is actually not a parenting book:

A World of Babies

Christine Gross-Loh has written a book recently that seems to touch on a similar theme - Parenting Without Borders.  I haven't read it, but I did read her infant pottying book, and it was very affirming and open to the idea of "you have to do what works for you", so I would think this book would be similarly friendly.

For Children's books - Press Here is a unique and fun one.  

I wouldn't give a parenting book unless she had already mentioned wanting to breastfeed, in which case I'd get her either The Nursing Mother's Companion or the LLL book (although I haven't actually read that one, just heard that it's good), because at 3 am if she's having nursing trouble, she might find it easier to look in a book than to call someone. The encouragement of "you can do this" might be nice to have right there. A good book might also be useful if she encounters a doctor who is less than helpful. Otherwise, she'll find her own style and methods.

I would give her favorite books of yours or your children's.

I would also check on the Imagination Library in her area.  We just started receiving free books every month for our two youngest children.  

They do not send board books so I recommend any Usborne board books too.  

If it is not available, there is also the Children's book of the Month club where you get great deals when you sign up and then just order a few more books to fulfill your commitment.  I have signed up a few times to get some great books!

I would have loved an Amazon gift card for a shower gift to buy some books too.

Guess How Much I Love You

It took my husband weeks of reading it to our baby daughter before he could get through it without crying.

That is so sweet!!

I still can't read Love You Forever without crying. I don't even like it, as I find it creepy.

Guess How Much I Love You is an adorable book though, and is worth including!

But I'd also love to get one or two parenting books for her.  It would be fun, too, if I could get her kind of a humorous book about motherhood.

Any recommendations? 

I about wore out my copy of "What to Expect the First Year". It was invaluable for checking out things like when to call the doctor about a fever, general ideas of milestones, etc. 

It would be fun, too, if I could get her kind of a humorous book about motherhood.

When our daughter was about six weeks old, my husband gifted me with a copy of the first volume of the Baby Blues comic strip.  We laughed until we cried!  I recommend it.

Baby Blues: This is Going to be Tougher Than We Thought by Rick Kirkman and Jerry Scott

Regards,

Kareni

A parenting book is only good if the recipient is on board with that particular parenting philosophy.  If not, it could be interpreted as criticism or bossiness.  I would be irritated is someone gave me What to Expect the First year as it's very mainstream American parenting and I'm decidedly crunchy, alternative medicine integrated and attachment parenting oriented. Others would love it.  See the problem with parenting books?

This is what I give "book people" when they have babies:  Honey for a Child's Heart  http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Childs-Heart-Gladys-Hunt/dp/0310242460/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405659441&sr=1-1&keywords=honey+for+a+child%27s+heart and a copy of a few of the children's books in it.

When our daughter was about six weeks old, my husband gifted me with a copy of the first volume of the Baby Blues comic strip. We laughed until we cried! I recommend it.

Baby Blues: This is Going to be Tougher Than We Thought by Rick Kirkman and Jerry Scott

How funny! I was skimming this thread, and when I saw 'humorous,' I was about to post about this book! I have given it to many new parents. I too laughed until I cried at many of the strips. I'm not sure I could have made it through those first few months without it ... :)

Most of my favorites have been mentioned -- Harold and the Purple Crayon; Sandra Boynton books; Winnie the Pooh (classic or, as my English friends say, 'proper' Pooh :) ); Eric Carle books; Frances; Curious George

Also -- Margaret Wise Brown books (Goodnight Moon, etc.); Katie and the Big Snow; Pat the Bunny; Babar; Madeline; Peter Rabbit; Ferdinand (the bull)

Mother Goose (2 vol.) illus. by Rosemary Wells