Menu

New Van decision- WWYD?-Update in post #29

Kerileanne99

So we have been going back and forth on decisions regarding the purchase of a new van. We are out of time. This isn't just any van, as it is a fully loaded and side wheel-chair lift van. If you haven't seen them, they are just ridiculously pricy. The conversion alone costs upwards of $30,000, plus the cost of the van itself.

With a price tag like this, we will be driving it for QUITE some time! We have one now, a Dodge Grand Caravan, so we are very familiar with that particular model.

Here is the question: we have narrowed the choice down to two vans. Both are in the showroom, ready for us to choose. In all the reviews and stats online, the vehicles are extremely similar. Same size engine, conversion is identical, safety, extras, etc. they are even the same color.
1. 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan- we know pretty much what we are getting. Black interior (in Texas!) which will show less dirt from dd4 and the wheelchair. Less 'trunk' space, but it IS a minivan for a family of 3. This vehicle 'feels' cheaper, slightly more plastic-looking features....but with factory incentives ends up with a price tag of nearly $10,000 less.

2. Toyota Sienna- we like this one! But it IS pretty much the same. Gray leather interior, a bit more space, a sun roof, features just look nicer. 1/4 inch more ground clearance (which in these conversion vans that ride loooow to the ground may or may not be negligible). Repair costs in Toyotas tend to run higher, but resale is also a bit higher.

Both have extended warranties, but this can often be an issue anyway as the companies often fight that the conversion voids the warranty. New legislation and agreements signed by companies are working on that particular problem, but...

So...lay it on me. What do you think? Would you be willing to pay an additional $10,000 for pretty much the same van for primarily minor comfort/luxury/cosmetic issues? It IS our primary vehicle, will probably be or only vehicle as hubby walks to work and we had no need for a second vehicle. We will be driving it for a very long time I would imagine. Any thoughts? Experience with either van with or without the conversions?

Thanks for the help, I think we have gone round and round for ever!

And just an after thought...the conversion van we have now was partially donated to us years ago when I was just getting out of the military and starting to Uni. Because of this, I was granted with independence and the ability to attend school. We are not really comfortable selling it...if anyone knows of someone in Texas in need of a wheelchair conversion van (warning, it is older and the lift needs some work!) please feel free to send me a pm. We have put out the word locally but other than a few people who just needed a van have not heard anything.

I am on my second chrysler van.  I have liked them very much, I like my current one (2000 with AWD) and plan on driving it until it drops.  that said:

I would bite the bullet and get the sienna.  (I will not be buying another chrysler van - it will be a toyota something.)

eta: I didn't buy a sienna last time becasue it was smaller.  I do consider the sienna to be more reliable.

Well, just for cosmetic reasons I probably would not pay $10,000. 

But it isn't just cosmetics, from where I am sitting.  The Dodge Caravan has pretty bad reliability ratings and tends to use cheaper materials not just with the finish materials but the other components as well. 

Also, we are currently looking at having to replace my old Sienna (we were the third owners and that sucker is now over 10 years old but running into issues now that might make multiple 4 hour commutes each month somewhat hazardous).  We looked at the Caravan since it was cheaper.  But the predicted reliability rating for the current Caravan model  is rock bottom compared to every other mini-van on the market.  The Sienna is rated highest for predicted reliability.  Now I grant you, this is PREDICTED, so who knows.  You already own one so maybe the data isn't all that accurate.

How does the mileage compare?  Have you driven both to see if one feels better while driving? 

$10,000 is a lot of money but if there's a reason for it, then go for it.  Reliability, durability, gas consumption, etc. could easily be much better on the Sienna. 

If you can afford the extra $10,000, I'd go with the Sienna which will probably last longer.  It probably has a higher resale value for that reason.  I've also heard the Sienna has a better turning radius which is great in bigger vehicles.  If you can't afford the extra $10,000, go with the other one and put the extra money you would have spent in a special savings account for when you need to replace or repair the other van.

We are getting rid of a 98 Dodge Caravan. We've gotten a lot of years out of it and we liked it. That said, when you are thinking about having a vehicle for a long time I think it's good to get the extra features if you can. Plus, I feel like the black interior could really heat up. So I'd go with the Sienna.

With regards to the turn radius on Sienna's that was mentioned upthread, unless that has changed with the redesign, the turn radius is fantastic for a mini-van.  I LOVE the turn radius.  I never thought about or cared much about turn radius until I got our used Sienna.  It turns on a dime compared to other mini-vans.

Since this is a vehicle you will have for a long time get the one you like the best.  I know a $10,000 difference is a lot but there is nothing worse than getting a new vehicle and hating it.  It sounds like the Sienna would better meet your needs plus have a few extras that help you be more comfortable.  Plus the Sienna drives so nicely :)

Does the Sienna have more trunk room in the back behind the seats? Our first van was a Caravan, but too short to fit a cooler in back. Our next van was extended Caravan and could fit a full-sized cooler in back. If the increase in room in the Sienna would be significant as the kids age and get bigger ( they tend to do that ;-) then it might make sense to get the larger van. Will a larger wheelchair fit the larger van down the road?

If money is truly tight, though, I'd save the money and go with the first van.

Is there a cheaper Sienna with less upgrades that might suit your needs?  The one you are looking at sounds like it has a lot of upgrades.  We really like our Sienna.  We had Ford Winstars before and would take the Sienna over it any day.  Don't be afraid to dicker with them over price!

We have 2 Dodge Grand Caravans, a 1997 and a 2008. Both have been exceptional. No major issues. We have always kept to the maintenance schedule, so maybe that has helped us. Both of these vans are used for daily commutes as well as long trips.

Diann

Well, just for cosmetic reasons I probably would not pay $10,000.

But it isn't just cosmetics, from where I am sitting. The Dodge Caravan has pretty bad reliability ratings and tends to use cheaper materials not just with the finish materials but the other components as well. Also, we are currently looking at having to replace my old Sienna (we were the third owners and that sucker is now over 10 years old but running into issues now that might make multiple 4 hour commutes each month somewhat hazardous). We looked at the Caravan since it was cheaper. But the predicted reliability rating for the current Caravan model is rock bottom compared to every other mini-van on the market. The Sienna is rated highest for predicted reliability. Now I grant you, this is PREDICTED, so who knows. You already own one so maybe the data isn't all that accurate.

That is a good point, and one of the few quantifiable stats I can find on the web about the differences. Lots and lots of opinions, but only slippery tendrils of actual data:(

How does the mileage compare? Have you driven both to see if one feels better while driving?

$10,000 is a lot of money but if there's a reason for it, then go for it. Reliability, durability, gas consumption, etc. could easily be much better on the Sienna.

Well...according to the stats they are mpg the same. However, there are lots of claims on the web that that is not in fact the case.

What says the hive?

We are getting rid of a 98 Dodge Caravan. We've gotten a lot of years out of it and we liked it. That said, when you are thinking about having a vehicle for a long time I think it's good to get the extra features if you can. Plus, I feel like the black interior could really heat up. So I'd go with the Sienna.

This is a worry. We recently had a massive Ford Expedition we rented on holiday and it was miserably hot when you got in...and that wasn't in the Texas heat!

But our silver van now )interior gray carpet) has really shown the wear on the floor where the chair goes. It is sooo gross:)

Still, surely I can put something down if necessary?

sounds like you WANT the Sienna but you are trying to justify the added cost of it. Just bite the bullet and buy it :p You will be using it a very long time, it has some upgrades and you will feel better about it. You won't feel like you bought the "bargain" van but you splurged. You are worth the splurge!

All things being equal, I'd go for the Sienna over the Caravan, IF I could afford the extra.  I'm van-shopping right now, and if a Sienna were in our price range, I'd get a Sienna.  It's not, but the Caravan is, and I've read enough positive stories to feel comfortable getting one.  I'd take a Caravan over a Windstar without even blinking, but I'd take a Sienna over a Caravan.  (And that's without having driven or even really looked at a Sienna because it's not in our price range at all.)

I would walk before I bought another Dodge Caravan.

Ha, ha, oh, LOL! When I read that it took me a moment because of the context. I assume you meant that you would rather go without a vehicle...but considering it is a WHEELCHAIR van, I read it through that context:)

Yes, I would rather walk than buy a wheelchair van too😄

FWIW, I still love my Sienna.  I was its third owner, and it has been through a lot, and it doesn't look terribly pretty inside anymore but I love it.  I am sad that we are reaching a point where I may have to get another vehicle.  It has been a really great van for over 10 years.  I do not intend to get rid of it.  I will keep it as a backup vehicle. 

In fact, the only reason I am considering getting a newer vehicle now is that I am facing having a really long commute of about 4 hours a few times a month with the kids and the dog in tow so I need something really reliable for me and the kids. DH insists that we need another vehicle   He feels that it has reached its end as far as reliability for long commutes.

I find the Sienna very comfortable to drive and pretty rugged.  I wish they weren't so expensive because I would buy another one in a heart beat.  I am looking at another used one and hoping I can find something that fits my budget and mileage expectations/  I have been VERY happy with ours.  I will say Siennas don't drop that much in price, comparatively.  They really hold their value.  Great for selling, not so great for trying to buy a used one.  :)

Well...according to the stats they are mpg the same. However, there are lots of claims on the web that that is not in fact the case.

What says the hive?

Our 2005 Sienna gets 22 in the city. That's been consistent over the years.

Ditto what others have said on turning radius. I didn't realize how good it really was until I drove a Cutlass Supreme which has a wide turning radius. I had to back out of the space and try again the first time I parked it. I was so used to the tight turns the Sienna made.

But $10K. I don't know. We recently had to get dh a new car as his completely died and we had the same situation of choosing the one we really wanted or the one that would get us around. The one we really wanted was bigger. But also $10K more. It was really a tough decision but in the end we decided that our budget couldn't handle the higher cost just now and the smaller car would suffice. I hope that whatever you decide, it works well for your family and that you have peace with the decision.

Toyota, absolutely, wouldn't even consider a Dodge.

One note about black interior.....it shows Everything.  It may hide the wheelchair tire tracks but that is it.  It will show every piece of dust, lint, scrap of straw wrapper, scuff from a dusty shoe, etc.  I Love my black leather interior, but I have to clean it every week to keep it looking nice. That is good for me because it keeps my car clean, but I can imagine it being a hassle if you weren't capable of just grabbing a shop vac and going to work on it. 

sounds like you WANT the Sienna but you are trying to justify the added cost of it. Just bite the bullet and buy it :p You will be using it a very long time, it has some upgrades and you will feel better about it. You won't feel like you bought the "bargain" van but you splurged. You are worth the splurge!

Okay, so you are absolutely right! I DO want the Toyota Sienna...and decided I am worth the extra cash:)

I hate the fact that I have to spend such an outrageous sum on a minivan! It really seems as though if you are going to spend $65,000 on a vehicle it should be sporty, red, flash, and preferably convertible. But alas, it is what it is.

So today I drove my shiny new Toyota Sienna home! I am quite excited and now have a huge amount of technology to discover. Back-up cameras, satellite radio, GPS and a million buttons and functions. Who knew just how much things had changed?!

And dd4 was thrilled that her Frozen CD could be played at will...lovely:)

Thanks everyone for the input and thoughts! I have included a silly picture of the results.

post-72404-0-90428200-1404437674_thumb.jpg

Congrats on your new van! I hope you have many happy years together!

I just bought a 2012 Sienna after driving Ford Freestar and Windstar vans for the past decade. I love the turning radius, but it handles much worse in the wind than my old van did. It really caught me by surprise that first time out on the highway.

Ah man, the thumbnail didn't work. I wanted to see your van. We got a wheelchair van in January. I went with the 2014 dodge. I thought 24k was crazy expensive for a minivan. The honda conversion was 50k!!!! Ack.

We don't have all of your bells and whistles. I'm just not a car person and we're easy on vehicles. We live in a flat area where nothing is that far away. Whoever said the black interior shows everything is right. Sheesh. However, our wheelchair space is not carpeted so that helps with clean-up.

Ah man, the thumbnail didn't work. I wanted to see your van. We got a wheelchair van in January. I went with the 2014 dodge. I thought 24k was crazy expensive for a minivan. The honda conversion was 50k!!!! Ack.

We don't have all of your bells and whistles. I'm just not a car person and we're easy on vehicles. We live in a flat area where nothing is that far away. Whoever said the black interior shows everything is right. Sheesh. However, our wheelchair space is not carpeted so that helps with clean-up.

I was thinking of you today when I was debating! The price for the conversions *IS* crazy:(

I am not sure why you can't see the thumbnail, but I shall attempt to send you a picture. I hope that you are enjoying the mobility and efficiency of your new van as well!

We have a 2014 grand caravan and really like it. We read a ton about minivans before buying and learned that Dodge has done some upgrades in the reliability area over the past few years and we felt comfortable that it would last. We also test drove a sienna but felt that the extra cost was not worth it for our family's needs.

That being said, congratulations on the Sienna! A new car is so fun. :)

I was thinking of you today when I was debating! The price for the conversions *IS* crazy:(

I am not sure why you can't see the thumbnail, but I shall attempt to send you a picture. I hope that you are enjoying the mobility and efficiency of your new van as well!

This is our first wheelchair van, so the increased mobility is an amazing change. No more transfers! We went rear entry because I wanted to eliminate the possibility of a ramp malfunction. We also live in a populated area and can't always get a van spot.

This isn't my van, but it's the same modification. B6E6839D-E3BE-444E-A44C-225C0466C624-168

Ya! I was going to vote for the Sienna as well. The reliability and resell ratings of the Dodge make me very leary. We got a Sienna this past year (not new) but low miles and it drives like a dream. I think you will be well pleased.

I'd go for the Sienna. We have one now and love it! Had a Honda Odyssey prior to that, and loved it, too. I'd like the higher ground clearance, considering you're carrying more weight than the average van with your wheelchair mechanism. Your dc are also going to be getting heavier as they age. The newer Siennas can handle a lot of weight (we pull a trailer with ours). I don't know how the Dodge compares. It might be something you want to check.

OOPS! I forgot to read the update. Congratulations on the Sienna!

• 2 weeks later...