Menu

my former nanny has 60+ photos of my kids on her facebook page. . .

do I have the right to ask her to remove them?!

I just joined facebook and I was shocked to see these pictures of my kids. She nanny'd for us back in January.

Obviously these were taken with her camera phone. So that begs the question, "Can I tell future babysitters NOT to use their cell phone cameras to take pictures of my kids." I won't be able to control this, obviously, but do I have the right to ask it of them.

I do feel a bit like privacy has been invaded here.

What would you do?

60+ ?! Sorry, but either she is simply immature (how old?) or that would raise red flags to me. I have only formal pictures that were given to me by the parents of the children I cared for and ONE picture that one of my charges wanted to take of me with his little brothers (and their mother wasn't pleased, but was okay that it wasn't more than one and because it was my last day with them). Pictures of other people's children, even if one is their nanny, should always and only be done with parental consent.

They are also your children. You do have a right to gently explain that you have concerns with your children's pictures being posted on the internet due to safety, etc and could she please removed them from her facebook page.

I think it would be okay for you to ask her to remove them.

Maybe you could pick out a few of the less clear ones and let her leave those up?

She really should've asked you first. People need to know that they can't just go around doing that.:glare:

I think you should explain that it makes you uncomfortable to have your children't photos online, and that you would appreciate it if she removed the photos...And 60 photos?? That wouldn't sit too well with me either. I could maybe understand a couple of photos, but not 60.

Does she say who they are? Would anyone know they were your kids? If they are posted without being labelled or named, I wouldn't be too concerned. In any case, if it upsets you I would definitely ask her to take them off. They are your kids, after all. JMHO.

yes, she's clearly labeled each picture with their names.

she is very immature -- that's why she's the former nanny.

Aaahh - I see now. Yes, that would be horrifying and yes, you most definitely have a right to ask (demand?) that she remove them. YIKES! That's seriously scary. You could probably get the folks at Facebook to get them removed if she is uncooperative. Hopefully she just doesn't get it and with a kind nudge from you would gladly remove them.

Wow. That is just totally out of line. You know, I wonder if facebook has any rules about that kind of thing. You could say that you found these pictures and you are really concerned, and you didn't grant permission, etc.

Just a thought.

I agree with the other opinions here. You certainly have a right to ask her to remove them. The worst part is when you ask her she may not "get" why you want her to take them down. When hiring future babysitters I think it would be perfectly acceptable to let them know it's an unacceptable practice. Although, I don't think it would even cross most sitters minds.

If it were me, I'd be phoning her pronto! There was a story on the news a few months back about not-so-nice people using these types of pictures for unmentionable things. In rare cases some kids were tracked down...and well, not good. I don't mean to freak you out but imo, no one should ever post their kids photos on the net w/o them being password protected.

OH WOW. I would be ALL OVER THAT like white on rice. Seriously......tackle this issue TOMORROW and do not stop until they are gone. The fact that they are clearly labeled with your kids' names is a whole 'nother ball game!

It skeeves me out!

Hugs,

Astrid

I'd tell her to remove them NOW! Think about it...

Did she ask you for permission to put them there?

you have to sign a photo release (allowing or not) with the organization for each child.

She's out of line and frankly the 60+ stopped me cold. How many total pictures does she have at this site? Is she using this to generate future business by showing all the things she did with the kids? (backfires anyway since a future employer would probably react like we are :glare:)

But the answers to those questions don't matter anyway, the photos shouldn't be there. Glad you checked the site!

My dh knows the chief privacy officer at Facebook. He says contact Facebook immediately, and they'll remove them. No need to even contact immature former nanny.

That impresses me. Facebook would just take down someone else's pictures based on another users request?

Don't get me wrong Calico -- I think they should come off, right away. It was not within her rights to have put them there in the first place. I was going to advise you to tell her to remove them immediately. I'm just surprised that Facebook would have the right to do this without any verification from the accuser/accused.

Let us know how it turns out. This is why people are so wary of Facebook and the like. :001_unsure:

That impresses me. Facebook would just take down someone else's pictures based on another users request?

Don't get me wrong Calico -- I think they should come off, right away. It was not within her rights to have put them there in the first place. I was going to advise you to tell her to remove them immediately. I'm just surprised that Facebook would have the right to do this without any verification from the accuser/accused.

Let us know how it turns out. This is why people are so wary of Facebook and the like. :001_unsure:

The tricky thing with Facebook is that THEY actually own your pictures once you have posted them there, so yes they could remove them if you ask.

I would definitely ask (actually demand) she takes them down if they make you uncomfortable (and 60 plus pictures would certainly make me uncomfortable). I do have pictures of some of the kids I watched over the summer. They were taken at my going away party. But I would NEVER put them up online. They are for me to remember the kids by. That is all.

I think it would be okay for you to ask her to remove them.

Maybe you could pick out a few of the less clear ones and let her leave those up?

She really should've asked you first. People need to know that they can't just go around doing that.:glare:

:iagree: with anj. I would ask her politely to take them down and I would contact Face Book and inform them of the situation.

And, yes! I guess you'll have to add that to your list of rules. What was she thinking.:glare:

From Facebook's privacy policy:

In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at info@facebook.com .
And according to this paragraph, they consider photo tags information mining.
Facebook may also collect information about you from other sources, such as newspapers, blogs, instant messaging services, and other users of the Facebook service through the operation of the service (e.g., photo tags) in order to provide you with more useful information and a more personalized experience.
So, from my reading, they will remove the pictures if your children are under 13 and tagged in the photo.

Good luck!

Definitely ask her to remove them. That's a ridiculous invasion of privacy. (I would suspect that she just put every picture she has on the site, and didn't stop to think how anyone else would feel...) I would ask her first, and then if she doesn't respond, contact Facebook directly.

For future babysitters/nannies, could you just ask that they respect your privacy and confidentiality and not post pictures online (or other public places)? I love having pictures of the kids I nanny for (and especially of previous children, as I don't get to see them much anymore).

I just joined facebook and I was shocked to see these pictures of my kids. She nanny'd for us back in January.

Obviously these were taken with her camera phone. So that begs the question, "Can I tell future babysitters NOT to use their cell phone cameras to take pictures of my kids." I won't be able to control this, obviously, but do I have the right to ask it of them.

What would you do?

Yep, like others have said, contact her, contact Facebook and yes, you are perfectly within your rights to specify "no photos" to future babysitters.

Make it perfectly clear to her that posting pictures of other peoples' kids without permission is a REALLY BAD idea.

I guess I'm the odd woman out here, but I don't see it the same way you all do at all. I definitely think it is a little creepy that she has 60 plus pics of your kids on her Facebook page....to me that speaks to a little bit of obsession on her part and that won't change by you calling her on it and making her remove the pics.

I don't think the fact that my child's pic was on the web would bother me at all. My dh and I both have our ds on ours. I think the dangers associated with that are way exaggerated.

What would you do?

I would tell her that for safety issues that you want them removed and ask her that she not post photos of your children anywhere on the internet.

That being said I do have photos of my children on my blogs, however that is my choice and I don't think I'd like it if someone else did it.

I would have them removed immediately.

Only then would I contact her informing her why and how inappropriate of her it was to do this without seeking your permission. She needs to be aware. If she is a minor, I would also contact her parents so they are also aware that she needs more guidance in this area of her life. I would definitely want to know if I were her mom.

I would contact her and ask her to remove the pictures immediately.:confused: Explain to her that she is required to have permission from you to post the pictures. You have not given her permission, because you are concerned about your children's security and safety, and do not like nosey people looking at your children.:D

If she doesn't take them down, then I'd contact Facebook and have them removed.

In general, the more personal information about you and your children you keep off of the net the better. Bad people can always find a way of using the information in ways that are undesirable or dangerous. While I see the draw of Facebook, I would not have anything on Facebook that I didn't want everyone in the world to see, because they can.:chillpill:

I do not even let my parents post pictures of my children on their web pages! They think I am horrible, but I am afraid that in doing their grandparent brag page they would provide too many details.

:iagree: I've asked dd birth-grandma not to post anything online, ever, of pictures I send her.

I didn't read any posts so sorry in advanced if I repeated anything.

You have every LEGAL right to ask her to remove them. Legally she is not allowed to post your children's pics without your permission.

You can seek legal action over this. What she is doing is illegal.

In our homeschool group we have to sign a permssion slip for postings of our kids on their webpages which is password and account coded. Still we had to for legal purposed give them permission otherwise they will not use the picture online.

Holly

Carol said:

I would freak.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But then, I am so paranoid about this kind of thing that I don't even have a blog.

I'm *not* paranoid about this sort of thing and I'd freak, too.

I find this freaky but one question keeps coming up....

Does she know you can see her page (with the photos)/ are you facebook friends?

If you are then that tells me she is really immature/naive.

If she does not know you can see the photos than that scares me for some reason. Where else could she have photos of the kids?

Are there other social networking sites?

Has she emailed them to other people?

I think it's nice that she thinks highly of your kids but that crosses the line to freaky.

I didn't read any posts so sorry in advanced if I repeated anything.

You have every LEGAL right to ask her to remove them. Legally she is not allowed to post your children's pics without your permission.

You can seek legal action over this. What she is doing is illegal.

In our homeschool group we have to sign a permssion slip for postings of our kids on their webpages which is password and account coded. Still we had to for legal purposed give them permission otherwise they will not use the picture online.

Holly

Do you have sources for this? From my readings it all hinges on where they were taken. People cannot take your picture without permission in a place where you have a "reasonable expectation of privacy". If they were taken in a public place, then the nanny owns the copyright to the picture and has done nothing *legally* wrong. Here's some sites the OP might want to peruse about the rights of photographers.

Krages.com

Nolo.com

However, she didn't follow Facebook's privacy policy (quoted in my earlier post) and you have every right to ask her & Facebook to take them down.

As to the subject of should she even be taking their pictures... I nannied some girls back in my mid-20s (before kids) and we did a photo shoot one afternoon. I had just gotten a new camera, they wanted to "be models", so we spent one afternoon having a lot of fun. I gave the doubles to their parents and kept some for myself. I see nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make me a creep to want some pictures of some little girls who were very special to me at that point in my life. I think some grace needs to be shown to this nanny. In this digital age, it's easy to shoot 60 pics...no worries about film & developing costs.

CalicoKat, I don't understand --- WHY are the pictures there? :confused: I can't think of a good reason she would want them there? I don't use facebook, so I really don't get for what reason she has them there. Just trying to understand. But I can't think of any reason I would allow someone to post that many photos of my children without my permission!

Blessings,

Kim

As to the subject of should she even be taking their pictures... I nannied some girls back in my mid-20s (before kids) and we did a photo shoot one afternoon. I had just gotten a new camera, they wanted to "be models", so we spent one afternoon having a lot of fun. I gave the doubles to their parents and kept some for myself. I see nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make me a creep to want some pictures of some little girls who were very special to me at that point in my life. I think some grace needs to be shown to this nanny. In this digital age, it's easy to shoot 60 pics...no worries about film & developing costs.

that's a good point...

I've taken photos of kids from our TKD school at sporting events.

I always gave a copy of the good ones to the parents and or TKD school as gifts.

I may have put one photo on my myspace page. It was 2 of the older kids sparing (17 and 19 I think) and was just a really good action shot.

The other photos I gave to the school who i believe had a release to use photos of the students on their web site or displayed in the school.

All the advice you have been given is good, contact facebook or the old nanny...

But, just so you know, there is a feature that will allow you to remove a tag on a photo. My fil posted a few less than flattering pics of me and tagged them and I went in and removed the tags. Not sure if that is only pictures of yourself though.

I didn't read the other replies, but I would definitely ask her to remove them. I am not comfortable with putting pictures of my family on the internet. That's a lot of pictures...kind of creepy that she even took that many photos of your kids.

I find this freaky but one question keeps coming up....

Does she know you can see her page (with the photos)/ are you facebook friends?

If you are then that tells me she is really immature/naive.

If she does not know you can see the photos than that scares me for some reason. Where else could she have photos of the kids?

Are there other social networking sites?

Has she emailed them to other people?

I think it's nice that she thinks highly of your kids but that crosses the line to freaky.

I just started my own facebook page this week and found her through another mutual friend--I accepted HER invitation. THEN I found the pictures of my kids. . . .