Menu

Can someone explain eyebrows to me?

So, I was always taught that when shaping eyebrows, you line up vertically with the inside corner of the eye to start and they eyebrow should end on the line from the outside of the nose through the outside corner of the eye.  And the arch should have its high point just above where the outside of the iris lines up.  So, what is with the new trend to start the eyebrow in a vertical line with the outside of the nostril?  If you don't have an uber skinny nose, it looks like your eyebrows are sliding down your face.  I was going to take dd to get her eyebrows professionally shaped, but after I saw people coming out, I thought "No way these people are touching dd!" 

You may now go back to your regular programming. 

DirtyEthel, I always heard the same.  However, I have a narrow face, and sometime in the last several years, I read that I should make my eyebrows shorter at the ends. It sounded weird, but the theory was that it gave the illusion of more skin between the eyebrow/ear area.  I tried it, and it worked.  I much prefer the look.

With the eyebrows further apart?  I think it's supposed to make the eyes look further apart.  Smart move to make the choice based on what you saw, yikes!

What I can't stand is the new thing to draw in/on big eyebrows with a much lighter color.  It looks like a cartoon character, not flattering.

So, I was always taught that when shaping eyebrows, you line up vertically with the inside corner of the eye to start and they eyebrow should end on the line from the outside of the nose through the outside corner of the eye.  And the arch should have its high point just above where the outside of the iris lines up.  So, what is with the new trend to start the eyebrow in a vertical line with the outside of the nostril?  If you don't have an uber skinny nose, it looks like your eyebrows are sliding down your face.  I was going to take dd to get her eyebrows professionally shaped, but after I saw people coming out, I thought "No way these people are touching dd!" 

You may now go back to your regular programming. 

That *was* the trend back in the 90's.  Now the trend is to start your eyebrows vertically above where your nostrils should end (generally a little narrower than your inner corners, and if you have a wide nose narrower than that too).  And the arches have gone out a little (not just above the outer edge of the iris, but out a little further), and the ends are plucked off to make them look a little higher.  I'll try and find the youtube video that convinced me to update from the 90's style.

Update:  I can't find the video showing someone changing styles from the 90's version to the current one, but here are two videos that show the current shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q449N-usvvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3EcfPSCqg

Mine free range too, so I couldn't say.  I've never shaped mine other than plucking out the odd stray hair in the middle.  

What I don't get is working so hard to remove eyebrows and then drawing them back on?  Maybe I'm just lazy but that seems like too much effort.

I have never plucked, trimmed, shaped, brushed, or otherwise paid any attention whatsoever to my eyebrows.  I was completely befuddled when someone tried to explain "threading" to me a few years back.  Why on earth would anyone bother taking the time to do that?  And actually pay money for that?! 

Needless to say, I have zero fashion sense.  It's a wonder I manage to get my pants on forward every day.

I will admit to using a touch of eyebrow pencil at my wedding - my only makeup that day.  My hair is blonde, and I wanted to make sure the photos showed that I do actually have eyebrows.  What a dumb thing to worry about, especially when there were only 4 guests and no real photographer!

This is what I was always taught http://www.seoulbrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/arc.jpeg

I used to get facials from a woman who would make my eyebrows look amazing.  My whole face, eyes, everything looked better.  Nobody else did as good of a job.  I miss her.

I have friends who swear by threading.  If you check yelp, etc. you can usually find one or two brow salons that have great reputations as being artists.  I'd go with one of them.

I shape my eyebrows religiously.  And the reason is that it makes me look younger, prettier, and makes my face look altogether more feminine.  Switching from the 90's style to the current style (basically moving my arches outward) took 7-8 years off the age people guess me at and I started getting carded again.  Watch half a dozen youtube videos and try it.  If it doesn't make you look remarkably better you can always go back to freerange again.

I have no idea what is "in style," but I have plucked mine since I was 14 and an aunt did it for me. I definitely regret overdoing it for years, but at the same time, I looked like a caveman if I didn't do it at all. My oldest DD has Brooke Shields brows/unibrow, but she does nothing to hers. She has such beautiful eyes though, that nobody really notices except old ladies like my aunts, lol. My youngest has nice brows that don't need anything done to them. Must be nice. 

Good grief.  I was psed, I don't have the necessary geometry skills to handle this.  I just pluck the stray hairs and leave the rest alone.

But now when your kids ask you what use is geometry, you have an answer beyond pizza and pies. :)

from Wikipedia Eyebrows also have an important facilitative function in communication, strengthening expressions, such as surprise, anger or sexiness. The fuller, or "hairier" the eyebrow, it is generally assumed, the more evolved and sensitive the reproductive organs are on an individual

I am going with sexy and leaving my eyebrows bushy

:laugh:

I once heard that if you want to be guessed younger, you should adopt the fashions from five years ago.  (After age 40, one supposes, since at 20 and 30, today's fashion is the in thing.)  If you adopt the current fashions when you get "too old", supposedly you look like you're trying too hard.

*sigh*  I have no idea what was in fashion five years ago.  Or ten.  Maybe in 1975?  :p

Wait...not then either.  I use a razor to thin the brush from the underside enough to look like I have two separate eyebrows and call it good.  I think one might call it "free range".  It changes with every shower, but it hasn't changed substantially since I had my first child.  (Except that time when a former friend told me that my brows desperately needed shaping - and then essentially took them off.  Yuck!  I have a very full face and that looked really stupid.)

I have always wanted my brows 'done' but there isn't a place that specializes in brow around here. Everywhere offers waxing, but I don't need waxing. I don't have unruly brows but I would like them shaped. And no way am I doing it myself, lol.

I have asked at hair dressers places and I always get told "Oh, I can wax them if you like" but I don't want just anyone messing with them. I want someone who specializes in brows.

I'm probably vain for saying so, but I like the shape of my eyebrows the way they grow. I pluck out the odd wandering hair, but that's it. Never penciled, don't aim for a style.

If you want to re-discover your eyebrow shape, eyebrows can be dyed.  

I had mine dyed about a month ago and I'm very pleased with the result.  I suddenly have eyebrows again that look like something.  Vain, I know :)

That *was* the trend back in the 90's. Now the trend is to start your eyebrows vertically above where your nostrils should end (generally a little narrower than your inner corners, and if you have a wide nose narrower than that too). And the arches have gone out a little (not just above the outer edge of the iris, but out a little further), and the ends are plucked off to make them look a little higher. I'll try and find the youtube video that convinced me to update from the 90's style.

Update: I can't find the video showing someone changing styles from the 90's version to the current one, but here are two videos that show the current shape

I can't get these videos to load.....I NEED THIS LIFE CHANGING INFORMATION!

I'm pretty sure my girl has been doing my brows the "new" way, but I go so infrequently that it's hard to tell at the moment.

I can't get these videos to load.....I NEED THIS LIFE CHANGING INFORMATION!

I'm pretty sure my girl has been doing my brows the "new" way, but I go so infrequently that it's hard to tell at the moment.

Search for "Eyebrow Tutorial by Camila Coelho"  and "Eyebrow Shaping by TheMakeupChair" on YouTube

I have always wanted my brows 'done' but there isn't a place that specializes in brow around here. Everywhere offers waxing, but I don't need waxing. I don't have unruly brows but I would like them shaped. And no way am I doing it myself, lol.

I have asked at hair dressers places and I always get told "Oh, I can wax them if you like" but I don't want just anyone messing with them. I want someone who specializes in brows.

Threading can be better for shaping. They show you a bunch of pictures of different shapes,  you pick one, and then they shape your brows into that shape. I pay about $15 including the tip for this. Every mall around here has a store that specializes in this service.

Threading can be better for shaping. They show you a bunch of pictures of different shapes,  you pick one, and then they shape your brows into that shape. I pay about $15 including the tip for this. Every mall around here has a store that specializes in this service.

That is good to know. There isn't a place in our dinky mall that does this though. You would think that with two colleges right in town there would be a place for the students, but there isn't. I could drive over an hour to Syracuse, but that hardly seems worth it.  I'll try asking around specifically about threading, but yelp turned up nothing.

That *was* the trend back in the 90's.  Now the trend is to start your eyebrows vertically above where your nostrils should end (generally a little narrower than your inner corners, and if you have a wide nose narrower than that too).  And the arches have gone out a little (not just above the outer edge of the iris, but out a little further), and the ends are plucked off to make them look a little higher.  I'll try and find the youtube video that convinced me to update from the 90's style.

Update:  I can't find the video showing someone changing styles from the 90's version to the current one, but here are two videos that show the current shape

Sigh, on the Camila video I got overwhelmed at 34 seconds when she held up the kit you need.  Just for your eyebrows, before you do the rest of your face!

Sigh, on the Camila video I got overwhelmed at 34 seconds when she held up the kit you need. Just for your eyebrows, before you do the rest of your face!

That kit was out of control. I have a few brow kits. My favorite is a $3 one from Target. I think it is that NYC brand. It is a powder to fill in with, a wax to tame brows, an angled brush, and a small tweezer.

Last month I was looking for an eyeliner and was conjoled into getting a makeover.  I was told that I needed to shape my eyebrows.  That they were out of control.  So, I resign myself to the fact that my eyebrows are free range.  Actually, I embrace that they are free range.  I fear that if I plucked them so they were under control, I might not have any eyebrows left.  Being a perfectionist, I would probably pluck away till nothing was left.  I think that shaped eyebrows look nice. However, I think that mine look just fine. 

That is good to know. There isn't a place in our dinky mall that does this though. You would think that with two colleges right in town there would be a place for the students, but there isn't. I could drive over an hour to Syracuse, but that hardly seems worth it.  I'll try asking around specifically about threading, but yelp turned up nothing.

Google and see if you have an Indian or Pakistani grocery store.  You might find a card for somebody who does it there.

That kit in the first video is crazy.  I do pluck my brows. I use the shape like in the second video. For colour, I use a pencil that has a spooly at the other end. The pencil is a waxy base and all I do is just make sure the pencil is sharp, work in tiny, feathery strokes and run the spooly over them.  I don't use much pencil, mostly just in the parts that are a bit sparse. It really does make a huge difference. It's worth a $6 pencil and 90 seconds a day.

Sigh, on the Camila video I got overwhelmed at 34 seconds when she held up the kit you need.  Just for your eyebrows, before you do the rest of your face!

You don't need that kit.  You need a straight edge, some shadow or a pencil one shade lighter than your hair color, some decent tweezers, and maybe a cheap white eyeliner to mark your brows where you want to shape them the first time.

This is what I was always taught http://www.seoulbrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/arc.jpeg

I used to get facials from a woman who would make my eyebrows look amazing.  My whole face, eyes, everything looked better.  Nobody else did as good of a job.  I miss her.

I have friends who swear by threading.  If you check yelp, etc. you can usually find one or two brow salons that have great reputations as being artists.  I'd go with one of them.

This. I have extremely thick and dark eyebrows. I have had my eyebrows plucked and tweezed by many various stylists and not-so-much-stylists over the years. Out of all of the stylists I've always been kinda "meh" about eyebrows and end up letting them grow back naturally (I don't have a unibrow or natural would be absolutely OUT of the question :tongue_smilie:). UNTIL... I went for a hair appointment years ago and the stylist kept bugging me over and over about my brows. She even offered to do them for free. I finally caved. :) And they were absolutely ah-mazing. It changed my entire face. I went to her regularly until I was no longer able to and after her I tried a couple of other stylists, and I brought along a picture of what I wanted that the last stylist had done. I never got the same results, and I have since gone back to natural for over 2 years now. Maybe I should post pics of what my brows looked like each way. Hmmm....

Last month I was looking for an eyeliner and was conjoled into getting a makeover.  I was told that I needed to shape my eyebrows.  That they were out of control.  So, I resign myself to the fact that my eyebrows are free range.  Actually, I embrace that they are free range.  I fear that if I plucked them so they were under control, I might not have any eyebrows left.  Being a perfectionist, I would probably pluck away till nothing was left.  I think that shaped eyebrows look nice. However, I think that mine look just fine. 

You don't have to pluck to get them in shape. My eyebrows have hairs that are curly (like my hair) and the hairs can grow really long. But, the brows themselves are contained and aren't that thick. They just get weird and bushy (like my hair, lol). Every 6 weeks or so I use an eyebrow comb and teensy scissors (got them together at Target for 5$), and just trim the long wavy hairs etc. I don't pluck any out because I am worried they will go too thin. I just do the thing they showed in those videos where you comb the brow up and then trim and then comb it down and trim. I trim only a teensy bit at a time. It makes a HUGE difference and it takes about 5 mins every 6 weeks. I have never plucked a hair out.

This. I have extremely thick and dark eyebrows. I have had my eyebrows plucked and tweezed by many various stylists and not-so-much-stylists over the years. Out of all of the stylists I've always been kinda "meh" about eyebrows and end up letting them grow back naturally (I don't have a unibrow or natural would be absolutely OUT of the question :tongue_smilie:). UNTIL... I went for a hair appointment years ago and the stylist kept bugging me over and over about my brows. She even offered to do them for free. I finally caved. :) And they were absolutely ah-mazing. It changed my entire face. I went to her regularly until I was no longer able to and after her I tried a couple of other stylists, and I brought along a picture of what I wanted that the last stylist had done. I never got the same results, and I have since gone back to natural for over 2 years now. Maybe I should post pics of what my brows looked like each way. Hmmm....

I know I want to see the pics! :)

If tweezing can make brow disappear forever, then what lousy excuse do those ugly chin hairs of mine have for their existence? I thought hypothyroid could cause eyebrows to thin and disappear, though.

I think this guy did a good job explaining how your eyebrows affect your nose.

Now that makes sense and that was the point I was trying to make.  These women that had their eyebrows done at this place looked like their eyebrows were falling off their face.  I prefer a much more natural look rather than an overly shaped look.  Just clean and tidy, cleaning up the stray hairs.  I am one of those lucky ones that has curly, but average (not thick or thin) brows but I have lots of dark stray hairs all the way down to the crease.  Dd has much thicker brows with a similar problem.  Also, her brows don't extend beyond the outer corner of her eye (vertically.)  So, to get rid of the stray hairs and have a natural looking shape, we have to be careful not to take too much off the outer end.  It is tricky to get it right for her.  She doesn't wear much makeup (I tell her to wash it off if I can tell right away) so having an overly shaped brow would look weird. 

I know I want to see the pics! :)

If tweezing can make brow disappear forever, then what lousy excuse do those ugly chin hairs of mine have for their existence? I thought hypothyroid could cause eyebrows to thin and disappear, though.

I will try to get them added some time tonight while I'm at work. :) Hopefully they are on my FB.