Menu

What is(are) the Name of your Pet(s)

mom2bee

What kind of animal is it and whats its name?

Oh, and ETA: Does it have a nickname!?

I specifically was curious as to whether or not people nicknamed their animals and/or how often. I've had several pets and only one had a nickname! I can't believe that I forgot to ask about nicknames!

Cocker spaniel - Freckles (named by Ds)

English Springer Spaniel - Miles Standish, but we just use the 'Miles' part (named by Dd)

Cat- Christabel (named by me after the Coleridge poem)

Sweet border collie/husky mix - Bandit (b/c of his black 'mask') passed away last year and I still miss him every day.  He was very much my dog.

Cats:  Winthrop and Jamie Lynn.  Except we rarely call them those names -- for a minute there I couldn't remember the real name for the female.  We have nicknames we use ALL THE TIME, and thus it has been since our first cat.

Rats: Izzy and Judy.

Two Felis domesticus (cats)- D.C. and Shy

one Pantherophis gutatta (corn snake)- Wadjet

One python regius (ball python)- Pinkie Py(thon)

Three Lithrobates Sphenocephalus (Southern leopard frog) Rana (frog in Latin) Batrous (frog in phonetic Greek) and Prince Naveen (Princess Tiana has gone to the big lily pad in the sky),

DD is a budding biologist, so she considers scientific names just as important as personal ones ;)

Forgot my first cat - China

She was the kitten my parents told me I could not get from our neighbor.  Down the street I went and returned with my very own fuzz ball.  They weren't happy, but I paid all the bills and she was with me through the rest of high school, college, marriage, moving out, and both Dc.

Radigast - the "rastabell" bunny...seriously, this rabbit could have been in The Hobbit. We call him Radigast when we are perturbed and Foofy Bunny when feeling affectionate. It's a lionhead rabbit technically.

Lewis - the black and tan cocker spaniel whose registered name is Clives Staples Lewis, sorry C.S.!

Tuscola - the guinea pig

Socrates - tree frog, don't ask...it doesn't appear to be all that intelligent in the grand universal scheme of the animal world, LOL.

Musorgsky (Moose for short) - leopard skin gecko

Schumann - calico cat named for Clara Schumann

OK, only going with current, LIVE pets--

Chickens:  though only our roosters are named--Frank (Americana) and Buster (Buff Orpington) 

Horses:  Molly 11 red roan mare, Shiloh 18 bay quarter/draft, Puck 11 sorrel mini, Stormy 23 palomino mare, Brigitte 3 pale blond buckskin mare, Sa 12 Appy gelding

Cats:  Lucy 5, Schroeder 3, Snoopy 3, Hank 3, Katy 2, Sage 1, and Tituba 17(!)

Dogs:  Jack 8 Corgi/blue heeler, Trish 8 border collie, Dusty 2 SH dachsie, Heinz 6 LH dachsie, Bonnie 2 dapple LH dachsie

Cairn Terrier: Lucy (Lu, Lulu, LucyLu, Dammitgetoutofthetrash)

Grey cat: Velvet (Velvie, VelvieSchmelvieSchmoo)

Orange Tabby: Muridan (Murray, FurryMurry, Dammitgetoffmyhead)

Black cat: NIgel Obsidian (Nige, Nigey, NigeyWigeyWoo, Babyboy)

None of these even remotely relate to my password. LOL

Chip (a dauschund, that fell out of the stupid tree and hit every twig, leaf and branch on the way down), our current pet. We lost Bob, our cat in September. We had her for 10 years :( I miss my cranky cat. We also have had a house gecko, a hamster (named Rat), and I forgot how many fish (we have 4 empty fish tanks).

we don't name the fish, but the others are:

calico cat: Patch

black tuxedo cat: Mittens

outside kitty that came with the house: Tess

Dog: Australian Shepherd- Fezzik

Gerbil: sugar (the recently deceased were named cocoa and ginger)

And our chinchilla just died last week. :( His name was Charlie

Oh... they named some of the chickens LOL (all Rhode Island Reds..) Matilda, Peckers, Goldie (her feathers are a lighter red/golden color), I think they named a few others, but I can't remember them. lol I'm totally naming a rooster (when we get him....) Colonel Sanders ;)

They are discussing goat names for the goats we are getting soon.

As of a few years ago, we realized that we had accidentally started a "tradition" of naming each of our pets after a different kind of animal. For example, we had a pair of guinea pigs named Bessie (because her coloring looked like a cow's) and Coconut (because my daughter named her after the American Girl dog). So, when we took in my dog, we intentionally followed the pattern.

With that said, the pets who live with us now are:

Piggers the cat, so named because he ate more than any of the other kittens in his litter, according to the woman who fostered him. We rarely call him by his name, though. We mostly call him "Cat."

Raven the cat, so named because she is solid black and likes to sit on people's shoulders. We usually call her "Kitty" or "Itty Bitty Kitty."

Matilda the dog, named after the cat who traditionally lives at the Algonquin Hotel in NYC (home away from home for writers and theatre folks for many decades). We call her Tilda or TIlda Pup.

We have several pets but the guinea pig is the only one with a nickname. My dd named him "Truffle" because of his dark brown coloring. Our friends who watched him while we were on vacation gave him the nickname "Tuffy" and it has stuck.

Current pets:

male tortoise is Zeus

Female tortoise is Hera

Hedgehog is slick

guinea pig is Reese

Leopard Gecko is Serena

Salamander is Fred

Yorkie is Finn

Cats: Stormy our dark grey male cat
         Willow female grey tabby

Lily female tortoise shell

R.C. (aka rescue cat lol) female ragdoll cross

Willows kittens( 3 names from Naruto and 3 names from Warriors books (about cat warriors): girl is Sorrel, Boys are hawk, ninja, bramble, hidan, and  itachi

I am not listing pets that have passed on, went missing or were rehomed that's too many to list.

The only one that has a nickname is Finn the yorkie, his nickname is longer than his name, I call him Finnermen.  R.C. we were given as a rescue cat and we weren't sure we were going to keep her so we never named her, just called her rescue cat, she had been found nearly frozen to death on the side of the highway and is extremely timid.  However, once she bonded with ds10 we knew we had to keep her, the 2 of them need each other, so we shortened rescue cat to R.C.  Lily gets called trouble or sh*thead as often as she gets called Lily, she is a stinker into everything and very smart which poses some interesting situations around here.

ETA: so since typing all of this and going through evening pet care I realized more of the animals do have nicknames.  Stormy gets called Stormy Bormy.  The guinea pig gets called the rat, the pig, the rat pig (I call it the pig, dd14 calls it the rat).  I don't think the rest have any but it wasn't until I was doing evening care and I was calling these 2 that I realized they do have nicknames

Chip (a dauschund, that fell out of the stupid tree and hit every twig, leaf and branch on the way down), our current pet. 

That's a breed standard.   ;)  Most dachsies are dumb as a box of rocks.  

Bean got all excited one day and said, "Mom!  Mom!  C'mere!  You've GOT to see this."  

She and Bonnie, one of my current dachsies were in the living room.   Bean said, "Sit Bonnie."  

AND SHE DID!  

A genius amongst dachshunds, I tell ya!!   :D

Our pets tend to get lots of nicknames.

Growing up, I had a cat we pretty much never called by her real name, she usually called Stupid, or sometimes Dum-dum. She was a really loving cat, and we adored her, but she really was pretty dim.  It was said with affection. ;)

We have three cats now.  Nicknames seem to be personality based. :D

One gets called Mr. Stink, Catcus, and Prickles a lot. 

Tommy often gets called Mr. Love, Thomas, Tom-tom

lsabel is usually called Izzy, the Izz or sometimes Dizabel or Sweetie-cat.

The cats collectively are the fuzzy-woos.

Toby the dog hasn't been here long, but he's already getting called the Tobester or Toby-woby sometimes.

Selmaq the python doesn't have a nickname.

One 9 year old Pug named Festis who we call Fest, or Fest a$$ if he's really stinky

One 4 year old Shar Pei named Kiya who we usually just call Ki (long i) or Ki Ki Puppy (long i sounds in the Ki Ki)

One 10 year old Cat named Sammy (he came with that name.  We adopted him when he was 6) we call him Sammy Sammy the kitty cat man

One not quite year old Bearded Dragon named Spock, I call her Spocker, Pretty Girl, or Spocky McSpockerson

We used to have a Shar pei mix named Rumples but we called her Rink or Rinky most of the time. 

We have a Shih Tzu named FuXi - rhymes with sushi. I love the looks I get at the vet when they're too embarrassed to call it out the way they think it's pronounced in the waiting room. 😄

We also have a chihuahua that I inherited from my great uncle when he passed away a few months ago. His name is Harley.

Great Dane - Soosi

Pit Bull (youngest ds dog) - Keifer

Jack Russell (oldest ds dog) - Jack (if he had picked out a girl it would've been Jill. Odd sense of humor on that kid)

Cocker Spaniel (dd dog) - Kit Kat

Cocker Spaniel - Bud

Old pets that are now gone

Cocker - Snickers

Cocker- Duke

Cocker - Bunny

Doberman - Duncan

Cocker/ Border Collie - Hadassah (we always called her Dassah.)

Dassah, Duncan, and Keifer were all rescues that came through here and ended up staying. I figure out of the 120 dogs that came through my home that only keeping three was pretty good lol.

Out of the Cockers that I bred, all registered names were food names. With mostly candy names being the theme. We had a Couscous, a Jelly Bean, a Reese and a few others like that. The vet used to say our file made her hungry.

Our horses right now are Tselah, Phantom, and Austin.

That's a breed standard. ;) Most dachsies are dumb as a box of rocks.

Bean got all excited one day and said, "Mom! Mom! C'mere! You've GOT to see this."

She and Bonnie, one of my current dachsies were in the living room. Bean said, "Sit Bonnie."

AND SHE DID!

A genius amongst dachshunds, I tell ya!! :D

He's dumber then most, although I must say I think he gained some intelligence after we got him nutered

Mine-

Rottweiler-Female: Persephone (Percy, Perce)

Rottweiler-Female: Athena (Thena, Theeny)

German Shepard Mix-Male: Coldbeer (ColdB, Coey)

Cat-Female: Shiner (Shiny, Shine)

Cat-Male: Bock

As you can see, my themes were Greek goddesses and beer.  The vet crew always commented that I must be an Aggie.   :lol:

DH-

Pug-Female: Hannah (Hannah-Banana)

Sadly, they are all deceased now (lost last one 1.5 years ago).   :(   ...and after 6 pets for almost 15 years, we are sticking with our human babies only for a while.

On a side note, a former co-worker happened to have the same named cats, Shiner and Bach.  HIs were named as such because the first one had a black circle around one eye and the second, the composer.   :)

Currently -

Cat - Sushi (It's daughter's stray. She named it Suki and then gifted us with his presence. I didn't like the name so I figure since I'm the one who has to pay for food and vet bills, I get to change it. )

Kitten- Jilly Bean ( She came with the name when we adopted her as a Christmas gift for DS. He liked the name so we kept it. All of the kittens in her litter were names after candy. There was a Payday and a Snickers, too.)

Dog- Smokey (Named by dd when she was 3. She chose him and his name. He's our old boy. He's 14 now.)

Dog - Cracker

Cat - Kitty Cat

Rabbit - Black Jack

I love Kitty Cat!  Very straight forward :) 

Our cat is Sunshine (all black)

and our kitten is kitten!  Kitten was a foster kitten so we did not name her (she came with Momma) and when we decided to keep kitten the name just fit.  

The cat's name drives my 16 yo nuts, which is one of the reasons I like it so much!

I love Kitty Cat! Very straight forward :)

Our cat is Sunshine (all black)

and our kitten is kitten! Kitten was a foster kitten so we did not name her (she came with Momma) and when we decided to keep kitten the name just fit.

I forgot the cats! Not really a cat person here, lol.

Roo

Wink

Merry

and Apollo

First two are house cats, last two are barn cats. I tried desperately to make Roo a barn cat last year as I really don't like having two cats in the house. Within 30 min she was outside up a tree and crying for help. Second day, she was back up the tree again. I left her there for 8 hours before I finally sent my dh up to get her. Third day she was back up the tree and I left her there all day. At about 9pm a storm blew in and it was getting ugly fast. My dh wasn't home, and I HATE heights, but I didn't want to leave the cat in a tree through a storm. I pulled out the ladder, but it only went halfway there. So there I was at 10pm, clinging for life to a wet tree trying to chase down a cat that was so scared she was actually wrapping her legs around the branches instead of using her claws like most cats do.

That was it, no more attempts at outside life after that. I am not doing another rescue mission up that stupid tree.

My pet as a kid was a cat named Pearl.  She was all black but had a white spot on her throat. 

Our dog (labradoodle) is named Bear - totally unoriginal, we know.  We fostered him before we adopted him so the name sort of stuck despite attempting to change it to Wookie (because he totally looks like a Wookie and we are sci fi nerds here.)  We figured he must have looked just like a teddy bear when he was a pup. 

Oh, this is going to be a long one.

Black. Lab: Molly

Morkie: Henry

Chihuahua: Little Bean

Cat: Gracie Kitty Poopoo

Guinea Pig: Arnold

Beta: Daniel

Rankin's Dragon: Yak

Ball Python : Jack

Goats: Violet, Ellie, Jane, Beatrice

Ewes: Clara, Marmalade, Meadow, Nellie, Ella, Polly, Rosie, Nora

Rams: Romulus, Algebra, MacVittie, Tickety Boo, Gilbert

Chickens: Nut, Meg, Lemon Drop, Feisty, Fidget, Lucy, Clover, Dandilion

What kind of animal is it and whats its name?

Oh, and ETA: Does it have a nickname!?

I specifically was curious as to whether or not people nicknamed their animals and/or how often. I've had several pets and only one had a nickname! I can't believe that I forgot to ask about nicknames!

We don't give our pets nicknames in general.

We've had dogs named Leia (mixed breed), Charity (pure bred cocker spaniel), Sherry (rescued greyhound), and Wrolf (rescued french bull dog).

We've had cats names Striper, Priscilla, Arlene, Sam, Jezebel, Hobbes, Sweet Pea, Wolfgang, Gideon, Loveday, and Minette. Yes, usually people names. :-)

Cats:  Squishy (because I stepped on him as a kitten), Cleo, Esme, Jynx, Xena, Dax, Lilo & Stitch

Chickens: Tink, Ginger, Oreo, Nugget, and Leah.  DH says we shouldn't have named them but it's too late now!

Oh, and one of our fish has a name.  Our huge plecostomus is Fred.   :huh:

Dogs: Coal, Captain, Swift and Fly. All have nicknames.

Cats: Lucy, Delilah, Ricky, Ernie and Cluny. All have multiple nicknames.

Chickens: Rooster Chervil, Jacqualine Sparrow, Pepper Pig, Cocoa, Coffee, Belle, Beauty, Nellie, Penny, Marigold, Rose and Bronte.

Guineas: Gunny and Ginny. We used to have 12, and they were referred to by all and sundry as The Borg. These two were the only ones smart enough to be left alive: read-they didn't fly out of the pen and get eaten.

Bees: Catherine, Isabella, Wilhelmina and Elizabeth.

Cats:  Squishy (because I stepped on him as a kitten), Cleo, Esme, Jynx, Xena, Dax, Lilo & Stitch

Chickens: Tink, Ginger, Oreo, Nugget, and Leah.  DH says we shouldn't have named them but it's too late now!

Oh, and one of our fish has a name.  Our huge plecostomus is Fred.   :huh:

dh told the kids we were going to eat the first chicken they named. LOL They won't tell him which ones are named...

ds calls our pleco the 'allergy fish' instead of algae fish. Everyone else calls one Weird Al and the bigger one is Cthuluhu