Menu

Am I bad for disliking unit studies?...

I love the idea of unit studies. I've tried to get into true blue units studies, the kind where every subject from math to lit to art to PE is tied in to the subject. I bought Amanda Bennett's Olympics unit study, thinking, "Maybe if someone else lays it out for me."

I can't do it. I like themes for our reading, writing, and projects - we did someone else's theme schedule for SL pre-K, and as we've gone through K, 1st, and now 2nd we tie lots of our reading and projects to a theme (for 1st and 2nd, it's been wherever we are in SOTW and science). But the whole tie in of math and grammar and such starts to feel artifical to me. Just let me do our math program, spelling program, FLL, thanks.

I feel like I'm being a boring homeschooler. Please tell me I'm not alone!

They advocate using a unit study to replace just history or science, and to include some vocabulary, writing, spelling, and art, and maybe Bible if it really fits. You still do grammar and math separately. It's a good way to approach those classes that some never seem to 'get to' with multiple kids, IMO, as long as you don't make it too too much work on the mom. Now that DD is old enough to cut out her own cut outs, I like it a lot better than when she was younger, but that's just me--I have never liked those 'artificial' projects wherein the kid takes the parent's cut outs and pastes them onto some preprinted background.

I will join in on this parade. Don't like them here either. FIAR didn't go over all that well. My kids are not craft project kids either. Just read it straight and get 'er done!

FIAR!!!

I would pull the book off the shelf and Justice would CRY!!! I am not being melodramatic, the child would cry. We lasted for two weeks.

They advocate using a unit study to replace just history or science, and to include some vocabulary, writing, spelling, and art, and maybe Bible if it really fits. You still do grammar and math separately. It's a good way to approach those classes that some never seem to 'get to' with multiple kids, IMO, as long as you don't make it too too much work on the mom. Now that DD is old enough to cut out her own cut outs, I like it a lot better than when she was younger, but that's just me--I have never liked those 'artificial' projects wherein the kid takes the parent's cut outs and pastes them onto some preprinted background.

Gee, Carol, you had to go and make us look bad by posting something helpful.:D

Isn't Konos the 8th circle of hell or something?

*snorts...gasps...spews hot fudge sundae over the County's computer....partner wonders aloud if I have finally and officially left the land of the sane...*

Hi, my name is Brehon and I hate most school related crafts. I'm also a complete failure at said crafts.

I love the *idea* of unit studies. Almost every one that I've tried is either (1) too loose; (2) too structured; (3) too stupid (I'm with you -- let me do my own math, thank you very much.

The absolute best unit study we ever did was A World of Adventure by Learning Adventures. It had just enough structure and just enough freedom to suit me (us) just right. Just. ;)

Other than that, KONOS, Amanda Bennett, Life in a Nation Divided (I forget the name of the series, but this was the one that we tried), etc. Blech.

Don't get me started on FIAR. I don't know who cried "Uncle" faster, me or DS. Again, although there were many books we read over and over, there were few from FIAR that we could do more than 2 or 3 days in a row.

Thanks for letting me know there's a no-unit-studies club!

Sometimes I say I do units, but I lie, I lie.

I just mean we do the same topic in science or history for a number of weeks. I might assign related reading or writing projects. We might do related field trips. I might even have them study the history of the science or scientists that lived in that period of history.

But each subject maintains its own thread - I mean, if we've been studying the 1890's in history and astronomy in science, we might read about Edison in history and Aristotle in science - I don't try to match those up. And math, grammar and all that happily go their own way.

The whole overarching unit study where you tie in your math and grammar and do crafty projects just stresses me out and seems, well, contrived - even though when my kids were tots and I first heard of the idea it sounded fab.

I'm sure for the right personality they work great... one thing I have learned about myself through homeschooling is that I am apparently a much more linear thinker than I thought I was, and also much less crafty...

For homeschooling I just can't get it to work either. Unit studies I've seen aren't at all in the same place that we are in each of the subjects. I think it can be customized in part, but not across the whole board of subjects (at least at our school anyway).

No, it's not just you...as you can see there is a good sized line forming behind you!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm so glad to know it's not just me!!!!

I purchased the Weaver Curriculum, once, thinking that it would be nice to have all of my children doing something together.

HAH! I never even started it!!

It just looked like so much work...and I'm not a "crafty person" at all.

Give me good literature and textbooks any day!!

I thought I would like unit studies because it seemed the most natural way to learn. When I, as an adult, want to learn something, I get everything I can find about the topic and spend a week or a month immersed in that topic. I learn deeply one topic at a time. I do not learn one subject for twenty minutes and the next for an hour, etc. all day long and then repeat the same subjects every day. So the idea of unit studies sounded very appealing.

HOWEVER...

I could not make them work for my kids and I couldn't figure out why for the longest time.

Then it hit me:

Kids do not have the same kind of attention span that adults do. They need a change of topic every so often throughout the day in order for all of us to stay sane.

A full six weeks on one topic might be wonderful when I want to learn about soap-making or comparative religion or the politics of the food industry, but

1. I already know math and spelling, and

2. I do not have the attention span of a seven-year-old boy.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I thought I would like unit studies because it seemed the most natural way to learn. When I, as an adult, want to learn something, I get everything I can find about the topic and spend a week or a month immersed in that topic. I learn deeply one topic at a time. I do not learn one subject for twenty minutes and the next for an hour, etc. all day long and then repeat the same subjects every day. So the idea of unit studies sounded very appealing.

HOWEVER...

I could not make them work for my kids and I couldn't figure out why for the longest time.

Then it hit me:

Kids do not have the same kind of attention span that adults do. They need a change of topic every so often throughout the day in order for all of us to stay sane.

A full six weeks on one topic might be wonderful when I want to learn about soap-making or comparative religion or the politics of the food industry, but

1. I already know math and spelling, and

2. I do not have the attention span of a seven-year-old boy.

I think you are so right! That has been my experience as well.

After repeatedly failing at the concept, I was beyond thrilled when I read something about Charlotte Mason's opinions of unit studies. She said that most children will make their own connections about information in their world and not to worry about it. She said it was actually beneficial to let them do that and not try to package it all so neatly and spoon feed it to them. I dropped the unit study I was working on and never looked back.

I don't like unit studies either. I'm sure there is a way to do them well and like you said I like the idea of them. But frequently having so many subjects together seems contrived. Also, usually something will need some background knowledge that we don't have. And when that happens I get cranky. So no unit studies here.

I too can't get into them. The idea is nice but man I can't stand all the cutesy crafts and fiddley stuff. I like the facts ma'am! I am trying to add a little more hands on though. I do some "unit detours" though. Basically that is the unschooler in me who sees her son gravitate towards a topic and I will gather all books I can on the subject. When my son was thoroughly involved in the Titanic, we did do math in the car (comparing how many horses it would take the move the boat etc) but mostly it was him digging through all the books he could find on the Titanic rather than a unit study.

Do I get bonus points if I don't even WANT to want to do them?

I think basic skills (math, reading, etc.) are best taught in a logical order. I do "units" for history or geography topics when dc are little, and I often pull in some fun math r language topic as it relates, but I don't have a desire to make that our only instruction in the 3rs.

Do I get bonus points if I don't even WANT to want to do them?

This is exactly what I was thinking! LOL. No desire whatsoever to do them. I'd be bored before I even finished looking it over. And it really has nothing to do with crafts - I just don't want to try to figure out how to mesh math with Vikings or Pioneers, KWIM?

Oh, it is so liberating to hear you all say this. I tried BFIAR and could not do it. I totally thought something was wrong with me. I do realize that it is an excellent program for many families, including those with a classical bent.

My theory is that people that dislike teaching unit studies generally prefer the systematic method of classical education. Personally, I like to see progress even if it's in small itsy-bitsy steps. Unit studies don't satisfy that for me.

This is exactly what I was thinking! LOL. No desire whatsoever to do them. I'd be bored before I even finished looking it over. And it really has nothing to do with crafts - I just don't want to try to figure out how to mesh math with Vikings or Pioneers, KWIM?

Oh, we don't WANT to do them. We just don't want to admit to the homeschooling world at large that we don't want to do them.

I have bought FIAR four times now and resold. I think we lasted one lesson before I gave up each time. I obviously am in love with the *idea* of unit studies, but not so much in practice. ;) I think I've learned my lesson now. Finally.

The only one that worked for me was one that I developed. It was just because of my interests. It wasn't very involved either. I was living in Sacramento. I ran across Polacco book about the Oakland fire. I decided to do a mini-fire unit. I read the Polacco book aloud. I found a book about the Yellowstone fire, and another about the Great London fire. We discussed fire safety and practiced stop, drop and roll. We discussed what were the three elements that a fire needed. There were no crafts, no projects, just a video or two and some books.

I always wanted to do fun units though they were too much work and I don't like crafts. We have failed Konos (I thnk we lasted one or two weeks), FIAR, Beyond FIAR, Prairie Primer, Amanda Bennet, and the latest, TOG. I have figured out that I can't do lots of planning and preparing. It doesn't get done and crafts are completely out. If they can do it with my materials- great. Otherwise no.

Not everyone has to like unit studies (although most *true* unit studies do not include math or grammar; trying to include those as the actual instruction *is* artificial), just as not everyone has to like classical, or Charlotte Mason, or [insert favorite method here], or bake her own bread, or wear denim jumpers:D

Mike Farris (I believe it was he) wrote an article called something like "Homeschoolier Than Thou." And that's what it was about: how "I'm homeschoolier than you because I use unit studies, bake my own bread, have 10 children" was prevalent among homeschoolers, and that it just didn't matter.

There is no right way to homeschool, other than to bring the dc home and teach them. Your favorite method is the right way for you; my favorite method is the right way for me.

:grouphug:

I have bought FIAR four times now and resold. I think we lasted one lesson before I gave up each time. I obviously am in love with the *idea* of unit studies, but not so much in practice. ;) I think I've learned my lesson now. Finally.

I tried so many times to make FIAR work. I kept rearranging the lessons in my planner and adding "enrichment" activities and taking the books to Kinkos to get rebound this way and that. Maybe if I try it this way, it will work...maybe if I try it another way...and meanwhile all those women on the FIAR forum are going on and on about how awesome it is in every way. There was just no way to make it work for us.

The book selections were awesome and they are still some of our favorites. But we never managed to read one five days in a row. Further, they were inconsistent in appropriateness: some of them were about subject matter/issues my children could not handle until they were 6 to 8 years old, and others were for preschool/kindergarten.

I really liked the idea and wanted it to work and it just never did.

When I started hsing 14 years ago there were was a large konos group in my area. One of the mom's invited me over to look at her curriculum. and I remember looking at it and thinking if this is hsing, then my dc are going to public school. There is no way that I am making period costumes, elaborate projects, and taking down the family pictures to put up a monster-long time line!

Fortunately, I found a way to hs without having to do a unit study. I have never bought or used a unit study, unless you count the SOTW Activity Book ; ) and then I only do the easy stuff! - no mumified chickens for me.

Not everyone has to like unit studies (although most *true* unit studies do not include math or grammar; trying to include those as the actual instruction *is* artificial), just as not everyone has to like classical, or Charlotte Mason, or [insert favorite method here], or bake her own bread, or wear denim jumpers:D

Mike Farris (I believe it was he) wrote an article called something like "Homeschoolier Than Thou." And that's what it was about: how "I'm homeschoolier than you because I use unit studies, bake my own bread, have 10 children" was prevalent among homeschoolers, and that it just didn't matter.

There is no right way to homeschool, other than to bring the dc home and teach them. Your favorite method is the right way for you; my favorite method is the right way for me.

:grouphug:

This thread is tongue in cheek. It is not a bash of people who like unit studies, it is just for fun.

I tried so many times to make FIAR work. I kept rearranging the lessons in my planner and adding "enrichment" activities and taking the books to Kinkos to get rebound this way and that. Maybe if I try it this way, it will work...maybe if I try it another way...and meanwhile all those women on the FIAR forum are going on and on about how awesome it is in every way. There was just no way to make it work for us.

The book selections were awesome and they are still some of our favorites. But we never managed to read one five days in a row. Further, they were inconsistent in appropriateness: some of them were about subject matter/issues my children could not handle until they were 6 to 8 years old, and others were for preschool/kindergarten.

I really liked the idea and wanted it to work and it just never did.

I agree. I do use FIAR's website for book recommendations, they are some of the best of best.

I met a woman with 4 boys with ages in and around my two sons ages when I started homeschooling. She came to me all exctied as she knew I was perfect match for her family and her proposition.

After she got her story out, I sat there shocked..and said "you want me to do what??"

Take your 4 very loud boisterous boys ( one still in diapers) for a full day each and every week, and then give you my 2 very sweet quiet well behaved, never shouted at each other in the house sons...so we each can take a day to go to the library and spend the entire day off researching topic for Konos for the next week, at the same time keeping sane and on top of what is going on this week! Are you nuts!

4 loud does not equal 2 quiet..ever.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I met a woman with 4 boys with ages in and around my two sons ages when I started homeschooling. She came to me all exctied as she knew I was perfect match for her family and her proposition.

After she got her story out, I sat there shocked..and said "you want me to do what??"

Take your 4 very loud boisterous boys ( one still in diapers) for a full day each and every week, and then give you my 2 very sweet quiet well behaved, never shouted at each other in the house sons...so we each can take a day to go to the library and spend the entire day off researching topic for Konos for the next week, at the same time keeping sane and on top of what is going on this week! Are you nuts!

4 loud does not equal 2 quiet..ever.

:confused: I'm all for strong opinions about curriculum and teaching style, but I don't quite grok the bashing of another homeschool family just because they have four loud and boisterous boys. Sounds normal to me! (check the sig)

I think this poor mother would be astounded that you interpreted her offer of cooperation as an attempt to stick you with her "bad" kids in order to trade up to your "good" kids. I'd assume she prefers her own children and doesn't see them quite the same way you do. :confused:

:confused: I'm all for strong opinions about curriculum and teaching style, but I don't quite grok the bashing of another homeschool family just because they have four loud and boisterous boys. Sounds normal to me! (check the sig)

I think this poor mother would be astounded that you interpreted her offer of cooperation as an attempt to stick you with her "bad" kids in order to trade up to your "good" kids. I'd assume she prefers her own children and doesn't see them quite the same way you do. :confused:

I didn't mean to say her kids were bad and mine were good, altho I could see where I came across that way. And I was honest with her and told her why. We actually became very good freinds and did tons of stuff together as families as well as homeschooling Moms. SOme of my fondest memories of our first years homeschooling were things we came up with and did together, however, I could not fathom spending so much time on a curriculum that I needed to have my sons elsewhere for an entire day every week to get ready for it. Mine were only 4 and 6 at the time and it was just too much. (I also had teenage daughters and driving lessons, and dance class and marching band all going on at that point in my life as well.)

Well, I've flunked Unit Studies 101 5 times now. I wanted to pass so badly, and be able to join that group of ladies that do the most fantastic unit studies and then write about them on their blogs complete with pictures. I would sit in front of my computer and drool over their carefully conceived lesson plans and book lists. But no, I'm a 5 time flunkie.

And don't even ask about those gorgeous lapbooks.

Janet