Menu

Does anyone NOT read aloud?

Something almost everyone on here seems to do is read stories aloud to their children. Thing is... I HATE it. I hate how slow it is compared to reading yourself, I hate how my mouth feels talking so much, I hate the constant interruptions to the story, I hate the comprehension that is lost (I am NOT an auditory learner at all, I find it hard to imagine how someone would fully absorb a book read aloud to them). Part of this could very well be that I am legally blind, so the actual reading is difficult, especially when kids want to see the pictures but the book is an inch from my face so I can read it. I don't even like fiction, I very rarely read fictional books.

Now, I understand the value of reading, I do read to my toddlers daily, and of course pre-readers need exposure to reading and literature. But I struggle to do more than 5-10 minutes. DD1 has begun asking me to read big books, like Noddy, and I have to break a single story into 3 sessions just to keep my sanity. Even the poky little puppy is pushing the limits of my patience. I can't imagine reading a hour a day like some of you do, and I can't imagine doing pleasure reading aloud for a child who is old enough to read the book by themselves. I have never had this modeled for me, my parents never read aloud, neither did the parents of my friends, and we didn't have read alouds after about first grade the years I went to school, unless it was a lesson or an author visit or something. I do know it is important for little ones and I will continue to push myself to read to them at least.

Why do you read aloud to children who are capable of reading the content themselves? Is there a developmental reason? Has anyone chosen not to do this and raised perfectly normal children? :D

Does anyone not read aloud once their children are reading?

Any tips on extending my patience with reading longer books to pre-readers? My husband hates it too, and whenever a 'long book' is brought to a relative to read, they condense it by describing the plot/pictures instead of actually reading it so I get the idea that they all dislike doing it too. In fact I don't know anyone IRL who actually enjoys it, and these are not mindless board books they don't enjoy, these are Beatrix Potter and Enid Blyton 

Is it that, because this forum has lots of CM followers, that I am getting a skewed perspective of what people do?

Recorded books! Especially in the car and for things like that. We do read aloud a little, but not much. We don't really have time, but we like recorded books, particularly my older one. He used to listen to books even as a toddler and loved it. He's currently listening to a novel on CD for half an hour per day while he cleans his room.

My kids want me to read picture books to them. They don't want me to read longer books generally. They do like me to read D'Aulaires, but those are episodic.

My 7 yo, who reads very well now, would rather I read her a picture book for the nineteen millionth time, and she'll take care of Roald Dahl herself.

I strongly believe in reading aloud to children, for as long as they will let you. It opens so many doors to great discussions and continues the bonding relationship! My daughter is 14 and I still read to her each morning, whether it be from a novel we've chosen, a faith strengthening book, history, or news. I understand how it would be more difficult in your situation, so maybe listening to books on tape/mp3 would be a good alternative. I also recommend reading The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease to give you greater understanding on the importance and benefits of continuing to read aloud to your kids, even after they are perfectly capable of reading alone.

We enjoy reading aloud.  In fact, if I am sick and cannot read aloud the kids feels abandoned or something...tears, "but WHY???", and drama.  I enjoy the experience.  I've always enjoyed play-acting and such...reading aloud is not far from that.  I LOVE storytelling. 

Part of my reasoning for reading aloud as much as I do is to expose them to books that are out of their reach.  It builds fluency.  This is most true for my dyslexic.  He needs to be fed on ideas that are age appropriate, but his reading skills have not always been on par.

Another reason is that I can pick books that might be out of their immediate interest.  Kids can get rather picky with their books...if I'm the reader, I can more easily nudge them onto books that will broaden their view.  

Mainly, it's just one way that we bond each day.  It doesn't matter how terrible the day was....jammies on, brush the teeth, sit on the couch for a story before bed.

Tips?  Pick books YOU like.  Only read a little at a time.  

For us, reading is a part of our family culture. We're not a TV/movie watching people; we're book people. So our family jokes and little sayings and things often come from books or book characters.

My very best favorite time for read alouds is during car trips. My hubs always drives, and I nearly always bring a book or two I think we'll all enjoy. We also use audio books for loooong trips (or if it's me and the kids).

All that said, I think that if I personally did not enjoy reading to the kids, we'd not do it. At least not much.

We always read, but once my DD was able to read, she preferred to read on her own and did not want me to read to her. My DS wanted to be read to fro a few years longer.

We have used a lot of audiobooks. DS listened to audiobooks for years after he did not want me to read anymore, and we listened to many many audiobooks as a family while driving.

If you do not enjoy reading aloud, I would look into audiobooks; there are some fabulous ones out there.

I don't, for all the reasons you stated as well as several more. I yawn constantly when reading aloud. My oldest is the only one reading at the moment and she reads to herself. None of the kids will listen to anything longer than a picture book before getting they get blank stares on them and they are whining for it to be over. They won't listen to books on tape either.

Reading aloud is SHARING a book. It's a group activity.

I read to adults. Sometimes just to torture them to get out of bed. I've been known to read Pooh to adults, inserting their name for Christopher Robin. They either get up because they rolled off the bed, laughing so hard, or got up to find something to hit me with. :lol:

But seriously, I can pace the book, and stop to explain things. I can tailor the book to the student. I do edit and skip things, when necessary. I can push them a bit, saying, "Wait, just a few more minutes for it to get good. Trust me." And then watching their delight when it does.

I do not enjoy the actual act of reading aloud, but I LOVE the discussions that come up. I usually read aloud books that will foster these discussions or books that they would not read themselves but I know they would enjoy. 

I tried to give up read alouds last year, but my girls were heart broken. I guess there is nothing like sitting on the couch, snuggling with Mom, no matter how old you are! I just got my first audio CD from the library so i do not actually have to read, but I am not sure I am going to like it, as I am a visual learner.

I used to read aloud science, history, etc. But, now we sit on the couch and read silently together in our heads with the book between us. It goes so much quicker this way! This seems to be a good compromise.

I also hate to read aloud.  Where is the bag over head smiley?!  Our library has a nice collection of audio books that get listened to several times before they get returned.  I believe in the power of reading aloud, I just can't take much of it so I let someone else help me out.  I have noticed that the well done audiobooks are much more entertaining than I would be reading them out loud.  Now reading on my own and having a discussion with dd1 about the book that she has also listened to is right up my alley. :)

It's interesting - people talk about the conversations it brings up, but that's never been my experience.  :D

Anyway, I read aloud to my kids when they were younger, all the way up til last year.  I just got out of the habit this year because all the books we started made me want to pull my hair out because they were so boring.  I'm thinking about reading Harry Potter aloud to them, just to get back in the habit of it (because I know we'll all enjoy it, too, even though it's not of the 'classical' variety ;) )

I read to my DS2 every night and listen (ok sometimes DH listens) to DD7 read her book.  We have nice side conversations from whatever she is reading especially when she is reading non fiction books like What Was the Underground Railroad. But I cheat with Audibles on anything more wordy than Llama Llama Red Pajama. Its still a bonding time for us because we usually listen to it when I am washing and doing her hair or are in the car just the 2 of us. DS13 has anxious introverted tendencies and is ADD so he prefers to be alone without me over his shoulder when he reads. We just talk about book in the mornings.  We are about to start using LLTL so I think I am going to be pushed into read a louds.

I haven't read a good long book to my boys since December and I was depressed because of it. I just started Tom Sawyer tonight. I do audio books almost every night, usually books that I don't want to read aloud. I can't go that long again without reading to my kids. I think their vocabulary and attention spans suffer for it. 

What I don't understand is how moms have different books going at the same time with different kids. That would be hard.

My dd9 just loves to be read to and always has.  To her, being read to is the equivalent of being loved.  I wake her up by reading to her in the morning.  When she is sad, I read to her, and it immediately cheers her up.

My ds6, OTOH, usually prefers to read on his own, so I don't read to him as much.  I do think, though, that it is very important to hear books that are above the child's reading level, so I often have him sit in when I read to his sister.  

Does it matter that there is no physical book?

I have always struggled to understand the difference between reading a good book and watching a well written TV show or movie. I admit I don't understand why parents encourage huge amounts of reading while limiting TV (I encourage both in moderation and with wise use, but, having said that, I don't have TV as such, I select shows/movies and don't allow any mindless drivel or staring at the screen for the sake of it. My kids know we turn the TV on for a specific purpose, and then we turn it off again, and our shows are recorded/downloaded/purchased so we never have to run on the stations schedule, so I guess it's a little different for us). If the difference is conversation, I have certainly had many constructive conversations, and play ideas, spin off from TV and movies. In fact, I have had more 'real' conversations from TV than I have from books.

I always figured one of the big differences between reading aloud and watching a good show/movie was that with a book the words were on the page and kids learnt from that aspect, which obviously isn't happening with an audiobook unless they read along.

If you read books but do not watch many movies, what is the difference, for you? Why are books superior to well written, non-drivel shows/movies? (I'm not looking to offend anyone, it's just that even DH and I have found we have learnt a lot, discussed a lot, and questioned a lot through the TV shows we have selected and watched together.) Is it simply a bias?

I don't suppose Bookaboo would count as a substitute for picture books would it? :D (because, seriously, watching meatloaf, the singer, read a picture book is just so awesome!)

I suggest reading: The read-aloud handbook by Jim Release. It sums up many of my reasons to read aloud and wish I had continued reading to my teen beyond age 12.

I think audiobooks can be a good substitute as well if reading aloud is not possible but I would not give it up entirely if there was the option to keep reading aloud.

I suggest reading: The read-aloud handbook by Jim Release. It sums up many of my reasons to read aloud and wish I had continued reading to my teen beyond age 12.

I think audiobooks can be a good substitute as well if reading aloud is not possible but I would not give it up entirely if there was the option to keep reading aloud.

We always have an audio book that we listen to in the car and then we have the family read aloud that dh and I take turns with in the evenings. The girls also have separate story times for me to read during the day. Even though my oldest can read just fine on her own, she would not select or be exposed to the caliber of story telling that I would prefer if it were not for read alouds. She is drawn to books that are highly formulaic and predictable, so read alouds are crucial to having her hear and hopefully some day produce good writing and story telling.

Does it matter that there is no physical book?

I have always struggled to understand the difference between reading a good book and watching a well written TV show or movie. I admit I don't understand why parents encourage huge amounts of reading while limiting TV (I encourage both in moderation and with wise use, but, having said that, I don't have TV as such, I select shows/movies and don't allow any mindless drivel or staring at the screen for the sake of it. My kids know we turn the TV on for a specific purpose, and then we turn it off again, and our shows are recorded/downloaded/purchased so we never have to run on the stations schedule, so I guess it's a little different for us). If the difference is conversation, I have certainly had many constructive conversations, and play ideas, spin off from TV and movies. In fact, I have had more 'real' conversations from TV than I have from books.

I always figured one of the big differences between reading aloud and watching a good show/movie was that with a book the words were on the page and kids learnt from that aspect, which obviously isn't happening with an audiobook unless they read along.

If you read books but do not watch many movies, what is the difference, for you? Why are books superior to well written, non-drivel shows/movies? (I'm not looking to offend anyone, it's just that even DH and I have found we have learnt a lot, discussed a lot, and questioned a lot through the TV shows we have selected and watched together.) Is it simply a bias?

I don't suppose Bookaboo would count as a substitute for picture books would it? :D (because, seriously, watching meatloaf, the singer, read a picture book is just so awesome!)

Not the same. Educational tv has its place, and can be enriching and valuable. But reading or being read to engages a different part of the brain. The singularity of the monologue, the syntax of written speech is different. Seeing the page is not necessary, especially beyond the very early stages of learning to read.

The newer Kindle Fires have a text-to-talk feature that converts any book into an audio book. Mine came with a free subscription to Audible.com. 

Audio books are available through the library in several formats-on CD, through online databases, and Playaway-preloaded, individual mp 3 players. 

I don't read aloud. Either my hubby does or we get the audio book.  I just find it tiring to read relatively slowly aloud because it makes me sleepy.

I have always struggled to understand the difference between reading a good book and watching a well written TV show or movie.

I don't mind well written BBC dramas of Jane Austen books and other classics.  However I prefer to read the book before watching the show/movie.  I want to read the book without any preconceived ideas and form my own opinions before I see how it is interpreted on screen.

Why do we?

1. It's a way to give a high quality, rich language immersion experience for the kids on an almost daily basis because we only read aloud excellent books. No TV show has as rich a language experience as great literature.  TV is a primarily visual medium that incorporates elements of good dialogue and good story telling, but it cannot do what great literature does-it's a different category entirely. TV cannot give you the detailed internal thought process of its characters that literature can, so character development in visual media is far less developed. Literature demands a far more active role from its readers and listeners as they play the story out in their imaginations.  Visual media demands nothing at all from its watchers-they can be completely passive.  There are excellent tv and movies out there, but they cannot do what literature does.  Literature cannot do what visual media does.  It's apples and oranges. 

2. It develops a taste for quality art of all genres when excellent picture books are used.

3. It's a method of family bonding through discussions of ideas and themes in great books.

4. It allows windows into other cultures and great minds long deceased when Classic Literature that has stood the test of centuries is read and discussed in our modern world. This is what people mean when they talk about taking part in "The Great Conversation." 

How do we?

1. We let everyone do something quietly while we read or the audio books is playing: arts and crafts, puzzles, construction toys, tumbling on a mat, eating, etc.

2. At first sessions are broken up into multiple shorter sittings during the day.

3. We never read boring books-life is too short.

4. We never read aloud mediocre books-life is too short.

5. We don't do only live voice readings.  We also do audio books with excellent readers.

6. We never use read alouds as a substitute for individual silent reading-there's plenty of room for both.

7. We read aloud to the kids until they go to college.

You use your imagination differently when you read a book than when you see a TV show.  You also end up with a different type of vocabulary coming at you (many times).  And the sentence structure is going to be different.

I am in a season of life with a toddler where I don't read aloud chapter books much with the older kids like we used to - but DH has one going pretty much all the time.  We currently use audiobooks a lot too.  I am surprised how much we ride around in the car now that I have audiobooks measuring the hours.

Why do you read aloud to children who are capable of reading the content themselves? Is there a developmental reason? Has anyone chosen not to do this and raised perfectly normal children? :D

Does anyone not read aloud once their children are reading?

Any tips on extending my patience with reading longer books to pre-readers? My husband hates it too, and whenever a 'long book' is brought to a relative to read, they condense it by describing the plot/pictures instead of actually reading it so I get the idea that they all dislike doing it too. In fact I don't know anyone IRL who actually enjoys it, and these are not mindless board books they don't enjoy, these are Beatrix Potter and Enid Blyton 

Is it that, because this forum has lots of CM followers, that I am getting a skewed perspective of what people do?

I read aloud to all my kids and don't plan on stopping unless they don't want to listen anymore. Usually I will have one novel on the go for each of the three kids, plus a family read aloud that we all listen to together, plus whatever picture books, seasonal or topical things we're reading. So at the moment I'm reading Children of Cherry Tree Farm, The Singing Stone, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and The Trumpet of the Swan. I'd normally read anywhere between 30 minutes and 3 hours per day, depending on what else we're doing.

My main reasons are because it's fun, it's bonding, it's something relatively quiet we can do, and it's a lazy way of doing something with the kids (if I wasn't reading to them they'd want me to jump on the trampoline, play hide and seek or something that actually takes effort lol). Also it lets the kids experience books they can't read yet. This is especially important for my 8yo who can't read much. She is in grade three, reading at kinder level, but her comprehension is about 5 years ahead of her reading. Her teacher says it's unusual for struggling reader to have such good vocab and comprehension, and I think that is partly due to the many hours she spends both listening to books on CD and listening to me read.

Having said that, I don't think reading aloud is the all and end all of literacy and literature. Since reading aloud is difficult and not particularly enjoyable for you, don't blame yourself for not doing it for hours on end! I'm sure there are many perfectly happy, well educated children who don't have such an emphasis on reading aloud.

Neither DH nor I have read aloud to our kids since they learned to read.  And both were very advanced early readers . . . so not for over over ten years now.

Since they're both excellent students and we have wonderful conversations about a wide variety of topics, I sure can't see that not reading aloud has been detrimental in any way.

I read aloud to my kids because I like it and so do they. There are lots of other benefits I perceive but those are the main ones. My oldest is a very good reader and capable of reading anything I read aloud to him to himself, but the shared experience of reading the book together is one we enjoy. I'll read to them as long as they enjoy it. Interestingly, I hate having someone read to me. I'm a very fast reader and also very much a visual learner so I've never enjoyed listening to a book. I like audiobooks but only if I'm driving the car or if exercising, times when I couldn't read myself. If one of my kids didn't enjoy read-alouds I'd understand it as they got older but I admit I'd be a little sad for that stage to be older. It's a huge part of our lives. 

I do not like reading aloud, nor do I like being read to.  I distinctly remember 4th grade, when our teacher read "Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of Nimh" to us.  I hated that she stopped after only one chapter, and I hated that I had to only listen with nothing visual to track along with.  So I checked the book out from the library, read it in a day myself, and spent the rest of the 4th grade class read aloud time with a different book squirreled into my desk, happily lost in my own book while the class plodded away with the teacher reading.

I have read loads to my children when they were younger.  I also read aloud some to my boys now, particularly from the Bible and various curricula, like science and history.  But as far as a daily read aloud time from some classic tome, that just doesn't happen here.  We've tried audio books, but our minds wander.  Mine does, anyway. 

We have books everywhere and read all the time.  But we're just not a read aloud kind of family. 

I read aloud to DS--two chapters from a book plus some picture books each day--and we both enjoy it. I also make up stories for him. We'll continue as long as he likes it.

But I did not need anyone reading aloud to me once I could read chapter books (which for me was late K/first grade; it will be later for DS). I have always been a voracious reader and can read faster than I can listen. I do not like audiobooks, podcasts, or talk radio. If DS turns out the same way, he can just read for himself.

In your shoes, I'd go for audiobooks.

I don't mind it. It's contact time. It's sharing a story. I find that it lets the kids see the story from someone else's view. I read things differently than someone else might. We share it and talk about it. Yes I could reader faster and easier on my own, but it's not about reading fast. We work on their reading speed in other ways. I think listening to stories is a skill that can be developed, and I think that it translates into good listening skills elsewhere in life.

My kids have been cuddling up next to (or on) me since they were born and listening to stories. I could come up with a million other things that I would personally rather do, but because I think it's good for me, we'll keep doing it.

All my kids also have read alone times.

Also, sometimes, we take turns reading aloud. I will read a page or a line, and then the next person reads a page or a line. Then I don't have to do all of it and they are each practicing their reading skills where I can hear them and assess how they are doing.

I am actually not sure that audio books give as much to a book as reading it aloud - the reason for this is that you add emotion to your voice and can also stop and pause when necessary to discuss things. Also there is some body language communication going on when reading a book (less so than with normal speaking, but it still adds something to the read alouds) That doesn't mean that audio books are not worthwhile - they are, just that I wouldn't hand it over to them all the time.

With ipads and tablets now it is easier to read with vision issues as you can set the screen and the font size to something more manageable. Starting read alouds with toddlers makes it much easier to continue later since toddlers cannot listen to very long books easily which means your voice gets some practice for the longer chapters later.

I had my parents read aloud to me probably until grade 5 or 6 from chapter books though we went on to discuss newspaper articles and other "readings" - well we still do even as adults. I intend to read aloud to my child as long as she will let me. Neither I nor my children learn primarily by auditory means and yet there is still something that we get out of read alouds and it probably did help me to learn some through auditory means when normally I just block out most of what comes to me through those means - I can now still learn by listening to the radio in the car even if it would not usually be my favourite way to learn.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I don't read aloud to my kids once they're old enough to read on their own.

I don't enjoy it, and they don't have the patience for it. I would do it if they wanted me to, but they don't. I was the same way growing up, so I understand how they feel. We'll often sit around and read together, but we're each reading our own thing. Not hearing read alouds wasn't detrimental to my development, and it hasn't been detrimental to my kids. They all enjoy reading.

Why do you read aloud to children who are capable of reading the content themselves? Is there a developmental reason?

In my case, we continued to read aloud for many years, because we all enjoyed sharing stories. It also allowed  my kids access to books and ideas they were plenty mature enough to understand and appreciate, but in which the language (or even simple things like the type size) would have made it less fun for them to read themselves.

For example, my daughter was reading Harry Potter on her own by age 6, but many more classic children's stories have more challenging language. So, we read all of the Frances Hodgson Burnett books aloud, along with Anne of Green Gables and other classics.

Both of my kids are big readers, although the bookworm bug bit my son a little later than it did my daughter. But we read aloud together until they were well into their teens. (In fact, I'm pretty sure my daughter would be happy to continue being read to at age 19.)

Remember that, in the days before electronic media, reading aloud was something adults did for fun. I think it's sad that we've lost that habit.

And, for what it's worth, my son and I are big consumers of audiobooks, too. I listen to books while I drive and while I do household stuff, and we consider picking the audiobook about as important as packing our suitcases when we go on a road trip. I love audiobooks.

But I don't think plugging in is the same experience as reading a book aloud or having a book read to you by a person you know and love. To me, it's like the difference between holding a baby to feed her and propping a bottle with a pillow. Sure, the kid still absorbs the material, but there is a certain warmth and connection lacking. You can't stop and talk to an audiobook. The audiobook won't smile at you when it knows you're going to think something is funny. It's just not the same.

Films and television allow for passive consumption. The viewer does much less work to get the story. Reading, and to some degree listening to, books requires the reader to engage with the material in order to access it, to make it come alive. Reading is, I am convinced, absolutely much better for brains than even the best, most "educational" TV. (And, to be honest, there is very little on film or TV that I think is well written or that rises much above twaddle. I, of course, exempt Sherlock from this judgment.)

But, in my house, we read because we love it, not because it's good for us. My kids have been raised understanding that reading is one of the most fun things a person can do.

With that said, we watch our share (and in the case of my son, probably more than his share) of movies and TV, too. I prefer reading or listening to an audiobook most of the time. But watching a movie or TV show with my family is social.

However I prefer to read the book before watching the show/movie.  I want to read the book without any preconceived ideas and form my own opinions before I see how it is interpreted on screen.

It's a rule in our house that no one sees a film adaptation unless the book has been read first. We do make limited exceptions for watching on DVD if other people in the house have read the book and want to watch the movie. (In other words, we don't make my husband leave the room when the rest of us want to watch Hunger Games or Harry Potter.)

Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't.  Right now I'm reading the Ramona series to my seven-year-olds because we all enjoy it.  Even the other adults in the house enjoy it.  Yes, sometimes my throat gets dry, but most of the time it's just fun.  My sister also reads aloud to my kids once in a while, from longer kids' books such as the Hobbit and the Little House series.

If reading aloud is not your cup of tea, have you considered scholastic storybook DVDs?  They are actual read-alouds with drawings from the books, along with some sound effects.  They are engaging, and you can turn the subtitles on or off.  It's a nice alternative to audiobooks, especially for preschoolers and young readers.

I understand what you're saying.... I'm not an auditory reader. my children once decided we'd all listen to an audio book instead of me reading. It sounded like a great idea to me, listening to books and knitting!! We started that book over three times before I gave up.

HOWEVER. However, I believe it is absolutely vital, even do much do I'd say it was less important for preschool children than for elementary and middle school children. It is said that children who are read aloud to become better writers. it is supposed it is because they catch that natural cadence, rhythm, of language.

Finally, after my sixth child, I'd tell you read, read, read, read. Reading aloud was important to all my children. He however can barely learn in any method with the exception of auditory. A friend suggesting audio books and it was possibly one of the greatest gifts ever and I will forever be grateful. He is thriving on audio books. I could never read the volume which is healthy for him so we use audio books incessantly. We belong to Learning Ally and more recently, Audible.

Use whatever means, your voice, your husband's, or audio books, but yes, hearing great quality books read aloud is valuable especially since boss they listen to tend to be at a higher level than they are actually capable of reading themselves.

The only thing I am semi consistent at is reading SOTW. Oh, and I read the Bible and devos to the kids as well.

I guess, by the time we are done with the basics of school, I am so wiped out. I have extreme fatigue, so I guess if I had more energy, I would enjoy it more.

I did read aloud to my class when I was a teacher to the multitudes :) It was right after lunch, and a nice way for the kids to actually rest, lay their heads down, and relax. I still did not enjoy it, though.

I hate it.  I think reading aloud is torturous.  I don't like being read to either and I don't like audio books.  We did do read alouds for a long time but probably stopped when the girls were 10 and 8.  I tried doing it as part of school.  I can't slog through it.  I have read the research, books and I do think that the read alouds that we did were of benefit, we just don't do it anymore.  My children do fine.  We do listen to the SOTW CDs but that is about it. 

I am actually not sure that audio books give as much to a book as reading it aloud - the reason for this is that you add emotion to your voice and can also stop and pause when necessary to discuss things. Also there is some body language communication going on when reading a book (less so than with normal speaking, but it still adds something to the read alouds) That doesn't mean that audio books are not worthwhile - they are, just that I wouldn't hand it over to them all the time.

FWIW, we listen to the audiobooks together in the car, and I do pause it and we do talk about what is going on and what we think.  Audiobooks don't have to be a solitary venture.

Remember that, in the days before electronic media, reading aloud was something adults did for fun. I think it's sad that we've lost that habit.

And, for what it's worth, my son and I are big consumers of audiobooks, too. I listen to books while I drive and while I do household stuff, and we consider picking the audiobook about as important as packing our suitcases when we go on a road trip. I love audiobooks.

But I don't think plugging in is the same experience as reading a book aloud or having a book read to you by a person you know and love. To me, it's like the difference between holding a baby to feed her and propping a bottle with a pillow. Sure, the kid still absorbs the material, but there is a certain warmth and connection lacking. You can't stop and talk to an audiobook. The audiobook won't smile at you when it knows you're going to think something is funny. It's just not the same.

My kids are still littlle, but I hope to continue reading aloud as they age because of the connection and the shared experience (and I like good books, so it's really nice if they will like them with me :)). 

BUT, if someone really doesn't want to read aloud, or it doesn't work for the life they are living right now, audiobooks are something similar that you can share in a similar way.  One doesn't get all the same benefits, but many of them, and since it is the physical act of reading that is the barrier in the OP's case, I'd think it would be a very appropriate alternative.

I hated the idea of reading out loud to my kids.  When my kids were toddlers, I did the absolute minimum and read very short board books.  This worked for me and worked for the twins.  Little by little, our stamina increased and we were able to enjoy the time together.  I think for us, it's all about having that together time on the couch sharing a book or twelve.  

Now, we may be weird, because we also love learning mental math facts in same manner, so it could just be a family quirk.

I am not sure, you need to do something if you don't see a benefit in it.  There are many ways to skin a cat so, maybe there is another way to create a rich language environment.  

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm actually trolling this thread looking for reasons NOT to read aloud. I loathe it. :leaving:

We are inconsistent, at best. I try to do a bedtime story with ds most nights. I check out "good" picture books when we go to the library just for this purpose. He will occasionally ask for a story during the day, but usually is happier doing something more active. He loves reading at bedtime (or perhaps he just likes stalling -- either way, it works for us).

DD mostly hated being read aloud to as a toddler and still doesn't enjoy it. Every now and then she will put in an audiobook. Like me, she is very visual and comprehends better when she is able to see the material for herself. Her lack of interest in reading aloud worried me when she was little, but once she began reading on her own at 5, she took to books like a fish to water. Not that I think that's proof positive that reading aloud doesn't matter/have benefits/what have you -- just that, like so many other times in my parenting career, I fretted over nothing.

Part of my problem is that I really can't stand most children's books. Dr. Seuss makes me want to stab myself in the neck with a horse tranquilizer. By the time dd got to the stage where we could pick up something more substantial (and I wasn't working full-time and exhausted), she was reading by herself and preferred to be left alone. We did read A Christmas Carol the year she was in kindergarten though.