Menu

Do we lose an hour of sleep tonight?

Jean in Newcastle

Thank goodness our digital clocks adjust themselves!

I remember one year we didn't change our clocks and arrived an hour early to church.  However, the previous service was still going so we thought we must be late.....we walked in, sat down, and the sermon had already started.

We were so confused until later that afternoon when we finally figured it ou!  :lol:

Yup!  Big sign at Ds's agility trial this afternoon about the time change.  I'm wondering how many people are going to arrive at the wrong time tomorrow.  Ds's scheduled time is early and, of course w/ DST it is even earlier.  We have to leave the house at 7:30 an be up by 6:30 (which is really 5:30am, no matter what anyone else has to say about it!  My body says it's really 5:30 and it will continue to say that for quite a while!)

I agree. When is this going to stop? I assume other countries do it to? Or is the US the only crazy country to come up with this idea?

I don't know about other countries, but Canada does, except Saskatchewan - they stay on DST year round so it stays light really late in the summer. :)

I agree. When is this going to stop? I assume other countries do it to? Or is the US the only crazy country to come up with this idea?

I don't think it was USA that came up with the idea at all. I am pretty sure it originated in England during WW!. I am off to do some searching  and will post back with what I find.. :leaving:

the south eastern states of Australia have daylight savings as well

I may be the only person out there who loves DST and wishes we could stay on it year-round.  It certainly doesn't bug me to get up "earlier" as I'm up early in the morning anyway.  This just means when I'm restless in bed at 3:30am I no longer have to convince myself to try to get more sleep until 4:30am (when I usually get up).  It's MUCH better (for me) this way and I REALLY prefer the extra daylight in the evening.  My body doesn't adjust well when they switch the clocks back.

I have never in my life been able to sleep in - unless I'm sick.  Once I "slept in" until 7:30 and the family thought I was sick... I wasn't, but it was still really odd.  I can go to bed at midnight and still be ready to get up around 4:30 or 5:00 at the latest.

I may be the only person out there who loves DST and wishes we could stay on it year-round.  It certainly doesn't bug me to get up "earlier" as I'm up early in the morning anyway.  This just means when I'm restless in bed at 3:30am I no longer have to convince myself to try to get more sleep until 4:30am (when I usually get up).  It's MUCH better (for me) this way and I REALLY prefer the extra daylight in the evening.  My body doesn't adjust well when they switch the clocks back.

I have never in my life been able to sleep in - unless I'm sick.  Once I "slept in" until 7:30 and the family thought I was sick... I wasn't, but it was still really odd.  I can go to bed at midnight and still be ready to get up around 4:30 or 5:00 at the latest.

I'm an early bird, too.  But that doesn't stop me from passionately hating DST. ;)

I'm right there with ya! I hate the regular time, when it gets dark so early. When it gets dark at 5, I am ready to go to bed then! 

I don't think it was USA that came up with the idea at all. I am pretty sure it originated in England during WW!. I am off to do some searching  and will post back with what I find.. :leaving:

the south eastern states of Australia have daylight savings as well

Hmmm. apparently it was a New Zealander who first came up with the idea, and it was first used by Germany during WW1 to conserve coal. with the rest of Europe and England soon catching on. Apparently USA was pretty late on catching on to the idea and started  in the 70s during the oil crisis.

I've always read that Benjamin Franklin was the first person to suggest the idea of saving daylight by switching clocks.  IIRC, he expressed the idea around 1784.

Hmmm. apparently it was a New Zealander who first came up with the idea, and it was first used by Germany during WW1 to conserve coal. with the rest of Europe and England soon catching on. Apparently USA was pretty late on catching on to the idea and started  in the 70s during the oil crisis.

The US has a rocky history of DST. Congress didn't like it but they adopted it during both World Wars. They just got rid of it when they could.

I love DST. I don't like getting up earlier but having it light longer is wonderful. I love warm evenings when it's still light outside. I love seeing all my neighbors again after our winter hibernation. Families start walking their dogs through the neighborhood, the kids are riding bikes, the flowers start blooming...

Aaahhhh!

I don't know about other countries, but Canada does, except Saskatchewan - they stay on DST year round so it stays light really late in the summer. :)

This would be wonderful. I don't really like the time change, but I love DST. If we stop changing time, we should stay on DST. I like the extra light in the evening.

Japan doesn't have it and the only problem is remembering how many hours the US is behind when it changes!  Now that I am in the far western edge of the Eastern Tiime zone, it is horrendous for we Orthodox Jews.  Our Passover Seder must begin after it is dark and so the first seder begins after 9pm and the second after 10pm.  In Israel they change the clocks according to the Jewish holidays and while there is fussing and fighting to try to align closer to the secular world, the clocks still change right before Passover and right before Rosh HaShana...