Menu

What's the best street food you've eaten?

Amira

So I'm sitting here eating sun-warmed mangoes topped with chile, salt, and lime and I think they might be absolutely the best street food ever. Since I love thinking about and eating street food, tell me about some of the best you've ever had, anyplace in the world. Bonus points for mouth-watering descriptions.

First thought...Frites (fries) from a street vendor in Bruges, Belgium. Hot and salty on a cold, damp day.

Waffles, Brussels. Extra points for adding melted chocolate on top.

Crepes, Paris. Ooh la la...again a warm bit of comfort on a cold, damp day...

Fish and Chips in Obin, Scotland...we bought them then walked down the street to eat overlooking the harbor. Our family agrees it was one of our top ten meals of our life.

I would love to try the mango/chile thing you are having...

French fries in the Netherlands.  They are golden yellow in color, perfectly crisp, the perfect cut/size, and just really freaking delicious.

OH OH OH...no the absolute most divine thing I ever had that I go out of my way to get anytime we visit Germany is a simple fried fish on a roll.  OHHH It's salty, crispy, buttery, and the bread has the perfect texture to soak up all the goodness.  They sell them at the weekly outdoor street market. 

Totally agree with the bolded above. They also serve them with mayonnaise instead of ketchup, which sounds really gross except it's really perfection. Unfortunately when I tried the mayo with french fries thing back in the States it just doesn't taste the same. There's just something different about those Dutch fries!

Best breakfast ever: a hot-from-the-oven croissant dripping with butter and a tall glass of fresh-squeezed blood orange juice, in Italy.

I agree with this one too except I always got my croissant stuffed with chocolate. :drool:  Sinfully, amazingly good! Nothing in the U.S. is even close.

My other favorite street food to add to those above are empanadas from Buenos Aires. The crust is perfectly flaky and the meat inside is spicy, but tender. They are the perfect size for grab and go street food, but they make you moan with how good they are.

Mango sticky rice from the street market in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I seriously didn't think I'd like it. I was like 'mango...sticky... rice? It's sweet? :ack2: '

In the end, it was delish.

Loved the street food in Chiangmai Mai, Thailand. Equally loved fresh Naan Bread or battered fried onion clumps I bought street side in Bangladesh. Not a favorite and didn't try it, but in mainland China I saw some unusual things hanging out of street store windows, possibly dog or some other animals I wouldn't think of eating.

I still remember a delicious cucumber in Istanbul. The vendor peeled it deftly, sliced it lengthwise, and sprinkled it with just the right amount of kosher salt. It was salty and refreshing at the the same time. Oh and drinks of yoghurt and cold water. And can't forget fresh cherry juice from real cherries. Istanbul is one of my favorite places fro fresh produce.

Another thing I like is stands in the DR, where they serve milk made into a milkshake with fresh fruit. Not previously prepared and cut fruit, but actual, untouched fruit. I love that the mango is peeled while I wait.

Totally agree with the bolded above. They also serve them with mayonnaise instead of ketchup, which sounds really gross except it's really perfection. Unfortunately when I tried the mayo with french fries thing back in the States it just doesn't taste the same. There's just something different about those Dutch fries!

Actually, I think it's the Dutch mayo that is different!  I'm drooling now ....

Regards,

Kareni

OH...anything from a French bakery, especially the eclairs. Mmmmmm....

I miss European food!

I agree with everything you wrote.  We miss European so much!

Indy would say his favorite street food would be a Doner Kebab, which is the Turkish version of a Greek Gyro, but in a pita pocket instead of a wrap.  I do have to say I liked the vegetarian version with rice instead of the meat.

My hands down favorite would have to be a kartoffelpuffer, which you can really only find at the Christmas markets in Germany.  They are sort of like a potato pancake, except the potato has been pureed, and then they fry it.  It is served with apple sauce or tzaziki sauce (I prefer tzaziki).  I don't know why you can only get them at Christmas!  They were my favorite part of the Christmas markets.

The fries in Germany, Belgium, and Luxembourg were the best, IMO, but NOT with mayo.  It is different to American mayo, but still, it was gross.

We had falafel just outside the Old City in Jerusalem. Just perfectly textured pita stuffed with the falafel balls (lol--you know what I mean) and "salad"--cukes, tomatoes, pickled cauliflower, and other things I can't name, with a riata sauce. AND THEN THEY PUT FRENCH FRIES IN IT!

LOL--it's impossible to eat standing up.

Oh, and chestnuts in NYC.

And fish and chips eaten in the paper while your very-English-Aunty laughs at you.

Chelli, my husband agrees with you about empanadas in Argentina.

If you are in the US, ask him if he's found any where that has some that are comparable. I would LOVE to take my family to eat some, but all the ones I've tried here in Texas don't have the right crust.

Ok, trying to rank (but this is hard):

This giant (hand sized) date stuffed pastry bought off a cart in Damascus (AWESOME and it cost 50 cents  :laugh: , DH and I went looking for him the next day specifically!)

Fresh bread in Syria (the type baked on the wall of a stone oven), DH and I ate half of it before we got home and had to go back and get more for the family for dinner :lol:

This burger joint near our house in Beirut. BEST.BURGER.EVER. (and I come from the midwest, so meat country, I have eaten LOTS of burgers)

Gelato in Italy (has to be Baci flavored for me and I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet!)

Shawrma sandwich from this little shop in Beirut (shawrma places are on every street there, but this one is famous there and ALWAYS has a line, he closes when he sells out, usually around 2-3 am)

Kafta kabob (spiced ground meat) in a pita from a roadside stand in a small village in Egypt (it's made of camel and lamb meat mixed)

Now best sit down restaurant food would be a different category totally.....

And now I'm hungry......Thanks Amira  :tongue_smilie:

Time to go make my low carb pizza  :sneaky2:

Katie, was it just outside the Damascus Gate? :D

$2. Unbelievable.

It was 15 years ago at this point and I have no idea.  All I remember is that I ate falafel everyday and they were the best and the only one that didn't load it up with fries.  I am not much of a potato girl.  ;)  It was really cheap. 

My children still talk about the "blue tacos" we ate several times from street vendors while in Mexico City - and we were there 5 years ago!  We also smash our sandwiches the way they did in Mexico (on a hot grill with lots of stringy white cheese).

Other than that - gelato anywhere in Rome and almost any loaf of bread in France!

Thanks for indulging me. :)

We ate some seriously good tacos tonight- about 6 different kinds between 10 people, all hot and some with cheese and some with nopales. And we had sandwiches exactly like Magnificat describes for lunch, Oaxaca cheese and all. Ds requested we go there every day for the rest of the week.

Doughnuts at Pike Place Market. Cheese samsas and hot tandyr naan in Bishkek. Ashlyamfu from little stands set up for holidays in Tokmok. The fruit drinks in Amman. The first time I ate hummus. Koshari in Cairo. The sesame bread rings in Jerusalem dipped in zaatar. Komoch naan in the Tian Shan mountains. That sandwich 16 years ago in NYC. Water ice in Trenton. Tortas ahogados and tamales with champurrado in Guadalajara. And those mangoes today. :)

Gelato in Rome (and Vienna) *is* pretty awesome. I tried pizza from a basement shop near the Vatican that was supposed to be great, but I am more of a deep dish Chicago style kinda girl than the thin crust/olive oil/basil leaves/mozzarella style.

Other favorite meals:

*chicken tikka masala off a vendor across from the Tower of London

* fish and chips from a shop a few blocks from the British library

*picnic in Innsbruck of bread,salami, cheese, apple, and chocolate

*strawberries at the farmer's market in Coachella

I can't believe I forgot pizza and gelato.  I have to say the pizza in Naples is better than the pizza in Rome, but I liked the gelato in Rome better.  There's a shop outside Vatican City on Via di Porte Angelica that had wonderful gelato and one on Via di San Giovanni too.  

The Hive has eaten a broad amount of foods!

Piragua (Puerto Rican shaved ice) in NYC

Bacalao frito (fried cod) and rellenos de papa (meat stuffed potato balls) in Puerto Rico

Horchata and fresh fruit in Tijuana

Not strictly street food, but this homemade pepper sauce from a hole in the wall cafe in a Belize border town. I think it was made mostly from scotch bonnet peppers. I've never tasted anything like it since. It nearly burned a hole in my stomach but it was so, so tasty.

Gosh, I dunno.  Like others, probably Thai -  a chicken soup type dish in Bangkok.  I liked the street food in Chiang Mai too, especially some sort of banana pastry which I do not know the name of.

And you know what - I like Canadian late night street food.  Hot dogs piled with everything, pitas piled with everything, beaver tails... maybe I'm just feeling homesick.

LOVE street food in India - snacks or "chat" come in LOTS of different combinations of salty, sweet, cool and hot!  Fresh hot samosas are a favorite as are masala dosas.  I love to get Dahi Papadi Chat which is a mixture of crunchy fried chips, yogurt, tamarind sauce and potatoes (it tastes WAY better than this sounds!)  We will often make a dinner out of a few chat selections - YUM!

Our first year in Ireland, we had a hamburger with fried onions and lots of other toppings at 10pm. We smelled them cooking and had to have them. I don't know whether they tasted so great because we were really hungry or if they were really that good. We still look for "street burgers" every time we go to the festival there (though we haven't found any that tasted that good again, sigh). 

Falafel in NYC.

This is exactly what I was going to say!  I crave it.  Perfectly warm and soft and fluffy on the inside, salty and crunch on the outside.  Amazing.

I once had a friend/colleague skip part of a business meeting to find one for me.  We planned to have it for lunch but I got stuck actually working with the client through lunch and by the time I went to go grab my beloved falafel the cart was gone.  I had to start the meeting again, so she actually took off walking several blocks til she found it for me.  Now THAT'S a good friend/coworker!

Shwarma or falafels in Cairo.

Gelato in Rome.

Crepes in Paris when I was a student… two favorites…one was with an egg and a piece of ham (pre-Muslim days) and the other had nutella. :)

Oh…it may sound weird…but I used to get the best ham sandwiches on a buttered pretzel roll in the German speaking part of Switzerland.

There's also this great dosa guy in NYC.  There also used to be this street cart in front of the Kings County Hospital in Brooklyn where DH would pick up some "halal" chicken for us.  I have no idea what it was…it was chicken, and maybe cauliflower, and some other veggies in this yogurt-y tomato sauce, over yellow rice…and it was addictive.

Best street pizza I had was in Florence (we found a cart off a side street from the main Piazza near the Uffizi gallery) ---Best gelato in Venice (which I am pretty sure I could never find again because we found it by getting lost) ---

I forgot- best "cake" I had was from a small cafe in Vienna (really reminded me more of a bears claw pastry if anyone knows what that is)

Oh and this may not be street food but I used to buy these packages of little waffle like cakes (they were soft, not crispy) in Germany (I think, this was a long time ago and I traveled a LOT that summer, so it could have been at the border of germany/france)...they had syrup flavoring like cooked into it....anyone know what I am talking about????

Thanks for indulging me. :)

We ate some seriously good tacos tonight- about 6 different kinds between 10 people, all hot and some with cheese and some with nopales. And we had sandwiches exactly like Magnificat describes for lunch, Oaxaca cheese and all. Ds requested we go there every day for the rest of the week.

Doughnuts at Pike Place Market. Cheese samsas and hot tandyr naan in Bishkek. Ashlyamfu from little stands set up for holidays in Tokmok. The fruit drinks in Amman. The first time I ate hummus. Koshari in Cairo. The sesame bread rings in Jerusalem dipped in zaatar. Komoch naan in the Tian Shan mountains. That sandwich 16 years ago in NYC. Water ice in Trenton. Tortas ahogados and tamales with champurrado in Guadalajara. And those mangoes today. :)

You totally reminded me of when I had an interview in Seattle many moons ago, and bought some doughnut holes at the Pike Place Market.  They were so incredible.

Ashamed I forgot about a good ol' Nathan's hot dog with brown mustard too.