Menu

s/o processing at the end of life...we did it

Halftime Hope

Mom passed away this afternoon, we're through all the logistical stuff, and my brother is about to give my Dad his nightly back rub. (Dad has horrible osteoporosis/scoliosis, and my "little" brother is "growing up" into the most amazing caregiver.  I'm so proud of him!)

Anyhow, C____ (brother) has to be as exhausted as I am, but he came in and sat on dad's bed after dinner, and the three of us talked, laughing, sniffling, and reminiscing over the last couple of years since Dad and Mom moved in with my bro.  It was an amazing convo, all things considered...the first in which Dad wasn't dissolving into puddles of tears.  I know the tears will come again and again, but I know Dad is relieved that her suffering is over.

We were at the table eating dinner that a friend had brought, and the guys from the funeral home came.  My SIL and I answered the door, talked to them, and then went back to the table, preferring not to watch while they did their "removal" (their euphemism).  Both were dressed in black suits and formal long black woolen overcoats.  It didn't take more than three minutes, and then one came to the breakfast nook to say goodbye.  My nephew (12) who had been dragging all day, muttered under his breath, "All he needs is sunglasses," cracking all of us up, because that what we were thinking, too.  We coulda had our own MIB movie going on!

Anyhow, thanks to all who chimed in so helpfully on the other thread.  Much appreciated!

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your mother.  (((hugs)))

When my mom passed away, she had donated her body to medical science, and the medical school sent a man to pick up her body.  It was late August in Texas, well over 100 degrees, and I was struck by the fact that the man was in a suit, complete with coat and tie.  I know they did that to be respectful, and I appreciated it.  The poor man was sweating bullets, and yet he paused in the driveway to ask if we were ready for him to take her body.  It was a small act of kindness which I will always remember.

Thank you all so much for your kindnesses. 

It did strike me that as a family, we had been given the mercy of being able to prepare for this and things were perhaps not as raw as they are for some families who are dealing with something unexpectedly and devastatingly tragic.  The guys from the funeral home probably have no idea what they will walk into--what a thankless job. 

Thanks again for letting me process here.  :o

Thank you all so much for your kindnesses. 

It did strike me that as a family, we had been given the mercy of being able to prepare for this and things were perhaps not as raw as they are for some families who are dealing with something unexpectedly and devastatingly tragic.  The guys from the funeral home probably have no idea what they will walk into--what a thankless job. 

Thanks again for letting me process here.  :o

At some point in our lives, I think we all get there with someone we love and I doubt it's ever easy.  At that point, friends are worth their weight in gold.  Process here all you want and plenty of eyes/ears will be here to share this time with you.  :grouphug: