Menu

Olympic Opening Ceremony

Χά�ων

Me too. I thought it was really well done and did a good job of representing the best of Russia. And isn't that what an opening ceremony should be? I especially liked how they used light and dark so often, and the ship was awesome. And the constellations at the end. And I even liked the Dr. Seuss onion domes.

We're watching it right now (we DVR'd it while we were at the movies).  I love the Russian athletes' coats.  The German uniforms were a travesty!

I love the overall colors of the show.  The ship was amazing!   There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between Vladimir Putin smiling and Vladimir Putin scowling.

Crikey, it's late.  I'll watch the rest in the morning and report back with my thoughts.  You know, as if anyone cares.  ;)

Watching it right now.

Was there no particular order for the teams? I thought they came out alphabetical.

Brazilians are so hot lol

OMG...Australia has a bobsled team with a sled lent from Latvia.... I see Cool Runnings 2 in the pipeline LOL

The came in alphabetical according to the Cyrillic (sp?) alphabet. Except Greece--they are always first. So, it appears the order is set by the language of the host country.

Greece is always first, host team is last traditionally (unless it's in Greece - then the host team is first).  The Cyrillic alphabet made it a surprise every time a team came out.  You never knew what was next.  I vaguely remember at some point at some other Olympics, too, they were mixed up based on the Arabic alphabet, but alphabetical according to the host country's alphabet.

The US sweaters were so insane.  I'm not sure why we are unable to have a nice outfit for our people.  On the bright side, they will always win the Ugly Sweater Contest every Christmas (...or Independence Day...) from now on.

The US sweaters were so insane.  I'm not sure why we are unable to have a nice outfit for our people.  On the bright side, they will always win the Ugly Sweater Contest every Christmas (...or Independence Day...) from now on.

Info about US sweaters

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-olympic-uniforms-20140208,0,6390427.story#axzz2skC5AKg0

It has driven home to me how uninformed I am about Russian history. The opening ceremonies are beautiful. That ship/illustration projection was incredible.

It's inspired my 14yo dd to learn more about Russia, as a matter of fact! AuntV taught Russian history for years; it will be fun to hear her views on all of this.

I liked it.

But I wondered about part of it.  When they were going through some of the historical periods I said aloud that I am surprised they would be so frank about the less nice stuff in their past.  DH said no he thinks Putin is particularly proud of those parts.  Huh...it never occurred to me that that would be true.  But I still wonder if that is true.

The nbc announcers kept calling the references "subtle". We did not find them subtle at all.

I'm curious about the Putin thing too...

Me too. I thought it was really well done and did a good job of representing the best of Russia. And isn't that what an opening ceremony should be? I especially liked how they used light and dark so often, and the ship was awesome. And the constellations at the end. And I even liked the Dr. Seuss onion domes.

And I liked that the crescent moon was not a lit-up cresent, but a circle with a crescent portion lit up.

I am planning to watch The Hedgehog in the Fog -- wasn't he just the cutest little thing?!

And I liked that the crescent moon was not a lit-up cresent, but a circle with a crescent portion lit up.

I am planning to watch The Hedgehog in the Fog -- wasn't he just the cutest little thing?!

We'd watch old Soviet cartoons in Kyrgyzstan sometimes, so it was fun to see him. :)

And I finally (on the third time of watching because they keep rebroadcasting it here) got to see the Kyrgyz team come in with their awesome kalpaks.

We'd watch old Soviet cartoons in Kyrgyzstan sometimes, so it was fun to see him. :)

And I finally (on the third time of watching because they keep rebroadcasting it here) got to see the Kyrgyz team come in with their awesome kalpaks.

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary. I have wondered what that sort of hat was called.

I enjoyed the opening ceremonies.  I was looking forward to watching them.  Russia is known for it's arts (especially music and dance) and I thought that would feature.  I know people were surprised about how they celebrated the Revolution, but really, it's a major part of their history, even if it isn't pretty.  It's part of what makes them who they are now.  

I was so annoyed by the American commentary.  It was just rude.  

And yes, those US sweaters are awful, just ugly.  

I enjoyed the opening ceremonies.  I was looking forward to watching them.  Russia is known for it's arts (especially music and dance) and I thought that would feature.  I know people were surprised about how they celebrated the Revolution, but really, it's a major part of their history, even if it isn't pretty.  It's part of what makes them who they are now.  

I was so annoyed by the American commentary.  It was just rude.  

And yes, those US sweaters are awful, just ugly.  

Admittedly I was tucked into bed before NBC finished airing the ceremony (darn head cold! but the commentary that I heard displayed a pathetic ignorance of geography, history, culture. 

It was rude!

I hate the NBC commentary.  Shut your mouths and let us watch.  When we watched the Summer Olympics on the German station two years ago, other to make a few shout outs when Team Deutschland came out, they said almost nothing, AND there were no commercials.  That's how it should be!

BTW, I heard this didn't air on TV (commercial maybe?), but I haven't watched the whole thing so far.  If you didn't see it, the Russian Police Choir singing Get Lucky, is hilarious.  We had to watch it 3 times so we could get a good look at everyone.  The expressions on some of their faces are priceless.  Go watch.  Go!

You mean comments like, "if you don't know what that is you can google it" sound less than professional?  :tongue_smilie:

Then why say anything at all?  How much are these people getting paid?  For crying out loud ... do your research or shut up!

That said, I thought it was beautiful.  I didn't get to turn it on until right before the parade of nations. 

On the bright side, they will always win the Ugly Sweater Contest every Christmas (...or Independence Day...) from now on.

That's what I said to my husband!

They're really not that bad. I did read the article linked in this thread, and I do agree that they are very much reflective of American culture. I know people who wear sweaters like that. I wonder what other countries thought of the sweaters, since many of them won't have the cultural "Grandpa's closet" association that we might have. (I know I certainly did!)

Cat

I thought the Russians did a great job. Sure, there were a few glitches, but I thought over all it was spectacular, and it must have been awe inspiring in person. I think it's hard on television to really see how it looked.

I also think the American sweaters were Ok. I would never wear something like that in real life, but these aren't supposed to be, "what we actually wear" uniforms. They were very bold and showy, and had a sort of "quilt" look to me. They captured that bold, slightly tacky, unapologetic feel that is sort of how the world sees Americans (and for a reason). The Germans and Norwegians also won't be wearing their uniforms as a everyday fashion statement. I like the Japanese jackets better as something I might actually wear, but on someone else at an event that is all about pageantry, I thought the American sweaters were a reasonable choice. And I am glad they chose something made in America.

I hate the NBC commentary. Shut your mouths and let us watch. When we watched the Summer Olympics on the German station two years ago, other to make a few shout outs when Team Deutschland came out, they said almost nothing, AND there were no commercials. That's how it should be!

BTW, I heard this didn't air on TV (commercial maybe?), but I haven't watched the whole thing so far. If you didn't see it, the Russian Police Choir singing Get Lucky, is hilarious. We had to watch it 3 times so we could get a good look at everyone. The expressions on some of their faces are priceless. Go watch. Go!

MomIHH is right. When we watched yesterday, I nearly soiled the couch. It was more fabulous than even the Village People. I howled. Yes, it was that funny.

I hate the NBC commentary.  Shut your mouths and let us watch.  When we watched the Summer Olympics on the German station two years ago, other to make a few shout outs when Team Deutschland came out, they said almost nothing, AND there were no commercials.  That's how it should be!

BTW, I heard this didn't air on TV (commercial maybe?), but I haven't watched the whole thing so far.  If you didn't see it, the Russian Police Choir singing Get Lucky, is hilarious.  We had to watch it 3 times so we could get a good look at everyone.  The expressions on some of their faces are priceless.  Go watch.  Go!

That was funny. :D  There wasn't any reason NBC had to cut anything.  It was taped.  They could have started it at 7:00.  Why cut stuff out?!  I heard they even cut some of the IOC president's speech.  Weird.  Remember when they weren't cable stations, but the networks would just let the sports stuff air, no extra junk??  And you could just watch it.  You didn't need cable, or to have to tunnel it from the BBC.  You could just watch the Olympics.  

To change topics a bit:  I'm not going to get much done in the next 2 weeks.   I haven't been able to get through much today because I keep watching the Olympics. 

What did ya all think of the German outfits?  Hah!

See my comment above:  TRAVESTY!  If they had used the German colors (black, yellow, red) it might not have been so bad.  Maybe.

They aren't on your link!  I want to see them!  Do you have the power to make me an honorary Taiwanese for the duration of the Olympics so I can make fun of them too????

I think they should show the full thing, but I don't mind the condensed versions.  I just don't want to watch TV for hours per day.  Not even for the Olympics.

And this is why we have DVRs!  You can fast forward through the junk.

Of the outfits I saw (and remembered), I like Canada (I so want one of this jackets!), Kazakstan (at least the flag bearer), and Russia (though would you expect anything less of the host country?).  I want one of those jackets too!

I think Greece should always be required to come out in horse drawn chariots and wearing togas.  That would rock.  I'm also disappointed that Mexico didn't come out in ponchos and sombreros.  I don't care if their only athlete is actually part of the German royal family (he was born in Mexico!), I want him in a sombrero, darn it!  Also, his support staff should be a mariachi band.  BTW, I know he probably won't win anything, but I'm rooting for him, just because he's funny.  And because he's German, but skiing for Mexico, where I'm pretty sure skiing is not a big sport.  

We laughed at the countries who only had one or two athletes, because they had more support staff than athletes.  I don't know why we all thought this was funny, but we did.

The came in alphabetical according to the Cyrillic (sp?) alphabet. Except Greece--they are always first. So, it appears the order is set by the language of the host country.

Oh ok. I thought maybe it had to do with security and they were making the popular teams come in randomly. Australia was in its usual first place so I guessed we were of no importance LOL.

I loved the sweaters!

I thought the sweaters were ok ...what I didn't like was the white pants. The sweaters probably would have looked better matched with something else. The pants reminded me of baseball pants...which just look odd worn with a sweater. They should have tried snow pants instead.

What did ya all think of the German outfits? Hah!

I liked them but I am of German ancestry myself and it is not unusual to see Germans wearing colours like that. They love to dress their children brightly. I was a little surprised they didn't use their national colours but really ...we weren't suffering for lack of teams dressed in black or red LOL.

My absolute favourite was the Tongan outfit. A ski jacket with a tasteful beach scene painted on the front lol. I want one so bad to wear when I visit Canada. Australia needs to copy for the next Olympics...they had the white jackets ..they just needed the picture.

See my comment above: TRAVESTY! If they had used the German colors (black, yellow, red) it might not have been so bad. Maybe.

They aren't on your link! I want to see them! Do you have the power to make me an honorary Taiwanese for the duration of the Olympics so I can make fun of them

Taiwan is Chineses Taipei. due to China's political issue, Taiwan always not allowed to use our official name but only as a city.