Menu

My poor sister has been trying to get home for 2 hours.

lynn

What normally is a 20 mi Atlanta drive is now a 2 hour nightmare between the icey roads, schools out 2 hours early and people just trying to get home.  To top it all off she is driving through industrial area so she can't just pull over and wait for the worse of traffic to pass.    Poor kid wish I could help her in some way.

Yep, traffic out there is horrible.

Ds was at a co-op class this morning. What is normally a 30-minute drive took us an hour & a half to get home (around lunchtime); saw at least 8 or 9 wrecks on the way. Then, dd (who is in a brick & mortar high school) was supposed to be released early but her bus didn't make it to the school, even an hour after they were supposed to be released. So, I went back out to get her. Even though the school is a few miles away, it was a one-hour trip on my part to get her & get back home. Happy I have 4wd.

Atl drivers do not know how to cope with snow & inclement weather.

Stay safe out there & enjoy the snow!

What normally is a 20 mi Atlanta drive is now a 2 hour nightmare between the icey roads, schools out 2 hours early and people just trying to get home.  To top it all off she is driving through industrial area so she can't just pull over and wait for the worse of traffic to pass.    Poor kid wish I could help her in some way.

I'm so sorry!  The same thing happened here in Raleigh several years ago.  Snow fell, schools all let out at the same time, there was a glut of traffic all at once and it was taking 8 hours to go 15 miles.

It is definitely bad. Hope she makes it home. My neighbor had to pull over, park a mile away from home and just walk because of wrecks lol.

My parents are stuck at the Atlanta airport at my Dad's work. Mom works in Atlanta, too. Dad got off work, went to grab her but when attempting to go home, interstate and highways gridlocked. It looks like they are sleeping in the jet hangar at Delta tonight. Thankfully they let her sign in as a guest and go in.

My husband is in hour 5 of his commute home from midtown to East Cobb. I called and told him it was getting bad fast and to leave earlier. Did he listen? Oh, no. A half-hour would have made a world of difference. I will try very hard not to mention that more than a thousand times.

Someone started a group on Facebook "SnowedOutAtlanta", to try to connect stranded people with help.

It's not my fault this time.  I was down there a few weeks ago when the temps dropped and there were a few flurries. And my sister's entire apartment complex had pipes bursting left and right. Crazy stuff!

Sending good thoughts down south!

Atlanta, why, oh why did kids go to school and people go to work today???? I feel so bad for kids spending the night at school and those trapped on the roads.

We are 4 hours south.... it hasn't even hit us yet.... and schools closed at 2pm and they told everyone to just go home to prepare (we were supposed to get ice, but that has changed to snow).

Atlanta, why, oh why did kids go to school and people go to work today???? I feel so bad for kids spending the night at school and those trapped on the roads.

It was fine this morning. No problems. And, when it did start snowing, it seemed slow/non-sticking at first. That changed quickly, though.

Because all the schools closed for a day a few weeks ago for just the cold weather, I think the metro area counties were hesitant to close. (Plus, the weather people here are wrong SO often that it is extremely unreliable to go by the weather predictions, imo.) I do think the schools were too slow to declare early closing as they couldn't get in all the busing needed in a safe enough time period. 

I did check w/ my nephew because his county is one that is having kids stay at school overnight. He is home, though. Bet he is glad about that! Have also heard that there are so many accidents that police are saying that if nobody is injured, just call a tow truck. At this point, they are only responding to injury accidents.

Dh is still at work. Says traffic has not moved in front of his building in hours. A coworker called to let everyone back in the office know it took 2 hours to go less than one mile.

ETA: We have more than 2" of snow here the last time we measured.... (That's A LOT for us.)

My dad left work at 12:30 & he still is not home to East Cobb!!! My two brother-in-law's are still not home & my nephew was picked up from his private school in Roswell and still is not home to Cherokee county! It's been hours!!

Good news. I'm in Florida and school is cancelled tomorrow and Thursday - that never happens!!! :)

We have 3 inches that have stuck so far. It melted for a while at first. My kids are having a blast and I am enjoying having the family snowed in together. My parents called at 5pm and said they were attempting to make it home on back roads. Expected time 3 hours lol normally takes 1hr.

My mom just called. My dad has been in the car for 6 hours! My nephew has not even made it out of Roswell (he was picked up by his carpool family at 1:30). My one brother-in-law is literally walking home right now. My other BIL is trapped on the highway in gridlock. They all left their work/school hours ago. I bet they are all miserable and hungry. :(

My husband is still not home, either.  Left over 6 hours ago.  He says you can't see the lane lines at all on 75 now that the sun has gone down.  He has been one exit away for over an hour.   I have a friend who just ditched her car, borrowed a coat from a stranger and is walking the last 4 or so miles home.  I usually scoff at the locals' reactions to predictions of snow, but this one went from "snow is starting to fall" to "roads are impassable" in no more than an hour.  

My Facebook feed is full of friends saying they had 4, 6, or even 7 hour drives home today.  One friend is currently stranded at a restaurant (car ran out of gas).  Hotels are all booked.  A few people I know walked part of the way home (3 miles or less).  Friends who live closer to the city are posting offers to bring blankets and sleeping bags to people who are stranded.  I'm still waiting to hear from one of my friends whose commute is normally an hour.  (Can't even imagine.)

I have NEVER been so thankful to homeschool and have dh working from home.

Dh has been on the road about 2 hours now. Maybe has gone a mile. He may ditch his car and either 1) walk back to work which will be about a mile, 2) walk to my parents' house which will be about 6-7 miles, or 3) walk home which will be about 9-10 miles.

Total gridlock out there & he says that mostly all you see/hear are sirens. (Could hear them while talking on the phone to him.)

I'm getting ready to take a stroll from my house to our nearest big intersection to see what traffic is doing around our house. It seems quiet around here & I'm wondering if some of the roads are shut completely.

Really glad dh loves cold weather. :tongue_smilie: 

My dad is still not home. My brother-in-law is still on the highway. My other BIL finally made it home (he left his car and walked). My 10 year old nephew was checked out of school at 1:30 and still is not home :( he's with another mom and her son - they carpool and her phone is dead now.

My mom said no matter which back roads my dad attempts to take, there are cars everywhere. He said they spin easily and it is chaotic. It's a mess.

Please pray for my family if you would and the others out there. Thanks.

I live in the Birmingham area and it took my husband over 5 hours to get home from work when it normally takes 45 minutes. Fortunately they let him leave work a little before 10 this morning, he made it home by 4.

Cellphones around here haven't been able to receive calls today, which makes for a mess for all of the stranded people needing help. Lots of children are still stuck in schools because the parents can't get to them!

Just talked to dh. He is out walking now. He said the road was shut down, so he parked in the nearest lot & is walking. I guess he'll probably stop at my parents' house tonight (about 7 miles). I asked if there were lots of people out walking & he said, "Heck yeah, it's like a parade out here."

Hoping everyone stays warm & safe tonight!

My  husband is finally home after 7+ hours.  He ditched his car on 75 and walked in with a neighbor who ended up at the same place.  I was able to match them up via text and Facebook.  A stranger in a Jeep offered them a ride from the exit ramp to the entrance to our n'hood, so they only walked about 3/4 of a mile instead of 3.  Plenty of people are walking 4 and 5 miles to get home.  My daughter's high school has over 100 students spending the night.  Ughhh.

My husband is finally home after 7+ hours. He ditched his car on 75 and walked in with a neighbor who ended up at the same place. I was able to match them up via text and Facebook. A stranger in a Jeep offered them a ride from the exit ramp to the entrance to our n'hood, so they only walked about 3/4 of a mile instead of 3. Plenty of people are walking 4 and 5 miles to get home. My daughter's high school has over 100 students spending the night. Ughhh.

I bet I am near her high school! A friend took 1.5 hours to get the 2 miles home from there this afternoon.

It is definitely bad. Hope she makes it home. My neighbor had to pull over, park a mile away from home and just walk because of wrecks lol.

My parents are stuck at the Atlanta airport at my Dad's work. Mom works in Atlanta, too. Dad got off work, went to grab her but when attempting to go home, interstate and highways gridlocked. It looks like they are sleeping in the jet hangar at Delta tonight. Thankfully they let her sign in as a guest and go in.

I remember once in the 90s when dh spent the night in a Delta breakroom......... and then worked his shift there the next day.... Glad your parents are safe.

We were driving back from a funeral and decided to get a hotel room before we hit Atlanta. (We live in south Cobb)Best decision ever. So many friends are stranded, several spending the night at anyplace that is open - lots of churches are open for motorists. So horrible to read about all the strife. Praying for safety for all.

If she gets actually stuck anywhere, you can use your car floormat to provide traction out of an icy patch.

I realize she's probably just dealing with traffic but you never know!

oh my so scary
I'm in the Hampton roads area of VA. We have tons of snow. it didnt' start until 4.  My son was driving home from swim practice, he got home at 5, there was already a layer of snow on the road.  

Dh got home about an hour later.  I was a bit nervous about it but they did treat the main roads yesterday.

we have about 5 inches of snow right now.  and it is still snowing. 

Family in Birmingham. Woke up and had to see if my sil had made it somewhere safe. She was finally home after 12 hours for a 20 minute trip. She didn't get there until a couple of hours ago. Other sil had a 7 hour trip home after schools let out. She is 6 mths pg and winded up walking. Thankfully, someone picked her up and gave her a ride home after she walked a couple of miles in Crocs. One brother stuck at work. A much better place to be! 

Friends are all over the place. One is at a stranger's home. One in a gas station lobby with her young son. This is just insane. I wonder how long it is going to take to clear the roads of cars; they all seem to be jammed with huge snarls and abandoned vehicles. Such a nightmare.

Family in Birmingham. Woke up and had to see if my sil had made it somewhere safe. She was finally home after 12 hours for a 20 minute trip. She didn't get there until a couple of hours ago. Other sil had a 7 hour trip home after schools let out. She is 6 mths pg and winded up walking. Thankfully, someone picked her up and gave her a ride home after she walked a couple of miles in Crocs. One brother stuck at work. A much better place to be! 

Friends are all over the place. One is at a stranger's home. One in a gas station lobby with her young son. This is just insane. I wonder how long it is going to take to clear the roads of cars; they all seem to be jammed with huge snarls and abandoned vehicles. Such a nightmare.

Was it worse than the forecast? Why didn't anyone stay home.

My sister is up north, the school where she teaches was closed yesterday.

Was it worse than the forecast? Why didn't anyone stay home.

My sister is up north, the school where she teaches was closed yesterday.

People in Birmingham had NO idea snow was coming here.  The forecasts predicted snow 2 hours south of us but a "dusting" for the Birmingham area.  I think it was  a huge shock to everyone when our flurries immediately began to stick to the roadways.  Since no snow or ice was predicted, not only did people go to work and school unprepared, the streets were also not made ready.  We don't have snowplows since it only snows once every few years but when ice is expected, they sand the roads.  This wasn't done yesterday.

Bottom line:  no prediction this weather was coming to our area and once the snow began our roads immediately became icy.

The high today is still below freezing and our roadways are blocked with wrecked and abandoned vehicles so not sure today will be a lot better. DH had to spend the night at work but at least he wasn't out in his car like hundreds of others.  

The manager of Zaxby's just opened up the restaurant, made 200 sandwiches and delivered them to the 100 students stranded at the nearby school. Good for him.

I am sure we're talking bout the same school.  

My daughter is reading FB updates from friends about their trips home yesterday.  One friend was on a bus that got stuck on the road in front of the school and then on a bridge.  After X number of hours, the kids finally broke the handle on the emergency exit over the protests of the driver and walked themselves the rest of the way home.  While they were doing this, the driver called 911 to report them.  Shockingly, 911 had bigger fish to fry.  Not sure what jurisdiction the police would have over a bunch of high schoolers after school hours, within walking distance of their homes.  Another bus driver stopped her bus at a Subway to let the kids get dinner because they were all so hungry.  I have heard many reports of strangers helping strangers with rides, coats, hot drinks, food, and none of people not making it home safely or of being taken advantage of.