Menu

Should I give this woman a ride to Reno

Anne in CA

Dh and I own a small restaurant in the middle of nowhere CA. On Thursday I am taking my dd to the Reno Airport to fly back to Portland to spend the weekend with church friends at our former church's winter camp. A woman came in with a man yesterday and I must have mentioned that to them, although I do not remember doing so, because when she left the woman gave me a business card and I just now noticed that on the back she had written a request for a ride to Reno the next time I go.

I think it is a a little odd that she didn't just mention she would love a ride. Maybe she couldn't in front of the man she was with??? Maybe she was just being polite and not putting me on the spot. 

The card shows a picture of her looking AMAZINGLY gorgeous. IRL she looks a lot older. It says she is a talent scout on the business card. I wonder is she is involved in some sort of dancing??? She mentioned that she was a massage therapist many years ago. I used to be a massage therapist and I never had a card like that, lol. Maybe she wasn't really a therapist but something else? 

I wonder if I should give her the ride. What if the man she is with is someone she needs to get away from? He seemed a little jumpy. If she needs to get away from him I would feel terrible about not helping. I always try to help people when I can, but I'm not sure I should be in a car with her for hours with my dd if she is going to go just to engage in some questionable activity, which the photo on her card makes me wonder about. 

Thoughts, anyone?

I live a little more on the edge, I guess.  I wouldn't automatically say no.  I'd probably poke around the internet, try to see who this lady is - put that information together with whatever vibe I got from our face-to-face reaction. Then I'd decide whether or not to drive her. If something felt off, I'd throw away her card. If I was still iffy, I'd use the contact info on the card to reach her and ask what the story was. It's way less entertaining, but definitely worthwhile to let the imagination rest and go straight to the source. LOL

How long is the ride from nowhere? When I lived in San Francisco, I worked with people who commuted in from Reno. I think it was 4-6 hours drive time, weather depending, but I can't really remember now. I could probably stomach 4-5 hours with a stranger who might turn weird. I'd be sure to get very familiar with the route beforehand, and have a plan for every hour or so where I could drop her in a habited area if she got SUPER weird.

Honestly, my first thought wasn't that the lady was dangerous or weird - it was that then she (and likely the man she was with) would know my house was empty ... and when my husband was running the restaurant. You don't remember mentioning Reno to them, so they may have overheard (intentionally or not); that coupled with his being jumpy makes me think more "con" than "danger" ...

NO!   Just put her card into the trash and forget about this. NO WAY!   I lived in Reno, many years ago, and still have a friend there that I am in touch with frequently, but whatever her destination might be, you do NOT want her to be in your car, with you and your DD. Ever...

Not sure where "nowhere CA" is, but I may have been thru there, many years ago. GL and stay safe.

Do you give rides to hitchhikers?  

If not, then don't give this woman a ride.  Realistically, you don't know much more about her than a stranger you might pick up on the side of the road.  All you have is a dubious-looking business card.  That means nothing. 

Don't do it.  

Do you give rides to hitchhikers?

If not, then don't give this woman a ride. Realistically, you don't know much more about her than a stranger you might pick up on the side of the road. All you have is a dubious-looking business card. That means nothing.

Don't do it.

:iagree:

And realistically, if the woman is trying to "escape" from the man, why would she need you to drive her anywhere? If she can get away from him for long enough to meet you and your dd somewhere, she can get away from him long enough to get to the police station.

Please, please, please do not even consider this. If you're not worried about your own safety, think of your dd. It's not at all unheard-of for a woman to lure another woman or a child to a place where her male friends can abduct them.

If a man had asked for a ride, I'm sure you would have thrown his card away that very moment. Don't make the mistake of trusting this stranger just because she's a woman.

This topic reminds me of the hitchhiking scene from There's Something About Mary (warning: some language at the end of the clip).   :tongue_smilie:

Spoiler (in white font - put your cursor over the space after the colon if you want to read it):  Wondering what's in the red bag on the hitchhiker's lap?  A dead body. 

Can't get the video to embed, so here's the link to the "7 Minute Abs" scene: http://www.viddler.com/v/c8809791

NO, it sounds like you don't really know her.  I mean, you don't even know if she wants to ride there and then return with you.   I would not want to put myself or my dd in that situation.  If she needs a ride and overheard you mention your road trip, she could easily call you at the restaurant. 

If I want to let my imagination run wild, I would consider her picking up something and bringing it back in your car; that would leave you liable.

Now, if a woman approached me and needed to get away from a dangerous relationship, I would take her. 

I don't like the approach that you describe. I wasn't there so I can't get a 'read' on her but what does your Husband think about all of this?

I'm  a tad paranoid, distrustful and pessimistic in general so while my initial, gut reaction is "There is No Way in He11" perhaps that is too-strong of a reaction.

If you have to wonder if it is a good idea...

You are getting a lot out of the note on the back of a business card.  I would not give her a ride, and generally I would be happy to ride share even with people I don't know well.  But that's a strange way to ask for a ride and you don't know anything about her or why she needs a ride.  

this sounds really odd.

it also sounds like your gut thinks it's a bad idea - or you wouldn't be asking.

listen to the gut. it's okay to say no.  and since she only gave you a card, you don't actually have to speak with her and can just go on your way.

The drive to Reno from anywhere is a long, lonely one. Not a good place to be alone with a stranger. 

Reno is part of a well-known prostitution circuit. Girls come and go for the business all the time. If that's her line of work, she is likely just looking to save on bus fare. 

The possibility of this is another good reason to not take her.  Often prostitutes have addiction problems.  And addiction problems can come with not only money problems but desperation that might lead someone to robbery.  

I was just thinking about this, and I can't help but wonder what kind of woman would ask a total stranger for a ride to Reno -- or anywhere else, for that matter.

I mean, I'm sure Anne is a wonderful person, but this woman doesn't know her at all.

Big Red Flags all around!

NO, it sounds like you don't really know her. I mean, you don't even know if she wants to ride there and then return with you. I would not want to put myself or my dd in that situation. If she needs a ride and overheard you mention your road trip, she could easily call you at the restaurant.

If I want to let my imagination run wild, I would consider her picking up something and bringing it back in your car; that would leave you liable.

Now, if a woman approached me and needed to get away from a dangerous relationship, I would take her.

The problem is, unless you already knew the woman quite well, you would have no way of knowing whether or not her tale of abuse was anything more than a big sob story to lure you in to trusting her and wanting to help her.

What better way to find a victim than to get someone to feel sorry for you and make them want to help you?

All right, you all have made me see the light and I will not give her a ride. I did worry about her being with the man she was with, he didn't seem quite right and so I was feeling sorry for her, but clearly if I have to ask, the answer is no, lol. Thank you ladies!