Menu

Anyone else have a family member who has to work on Thanksgiving Day?

Luanne

My daughter (age 25) has to work on Thanksgiving Day.  Fortunately, she only works from 5:30 pm to 10:00 pm and our family dinner is at my sister's house at 12:30 pm.  They are starting the Black Friday sale at 8 pm on Thanksgiving Day.  Crazy! :huh:

1dd works midnight to 9am. she's in a 24/7 environment. that is her normal schedule and she doesn't get thanksgiving or other holidays off.  she goes to bed at 3pm, so she can get up at 11pm to go to work.  though she does have the option (and the resources) to work from home.  so maybe she will that day.

My oldest is working 8pm Thanksgiving until 8am Friday.   She doesn't have any classes on Wednesday and she doesn't do any cooking, so she'll be able to get plenty of rest before.   I don't think it will be a big deal.  I did it last year working for the same store (Target).   I'm sure it will be a lot easier on her than it was on me.

I think dh is working that night, but from home.  He's an editor and his publication goes out every day so it will go out Friday and that means someone works overnight.  He's had to do that on Christmas even.  It doesn't impact our plans except that he will need a nice afternoon nap post turkey.

I feel terrible for the people working in retail.  What a terrible thing to do to folks.  I mean, I get why dh has to work and they pay him decently for what he does.  Not so much with retail.

DD19 always works Thanksgiving night, setting up the store for Black Friday.  Then she works the first two hours they are open, so probably 9pm to 8am?  They have lots of snacks and it is a pretty fun time except for the last two hours of her shift when they open to customers.  10 hours is good money, too!

Not this year, but I have in the past (and I will work Christmas this year). 24/7 medical facility.

We just do the celebration on a different day. 12 hour shifts mean there's no good way to do it the same day.

The worst was the year I worked Thursday nights. The way they scheduled holiday pay, it was based on the day you clocked out - so if you worked 6PM Thanskgiving - 6AM Black Friday, you didn't get holiday pay, even though you couldn't realistically do anything for Thanksgiving.

(Just to be clear - in no way do I resent working holidays given that I work somewhere that can't just close up for the holidays. I just think the way they deal with holiday pay for night shift isn't fair!)

DD19 always works Thanksgiving night, setting up the store for Black Friday.  Then she works the first two hours they are open, so probably 9pm to 8am?  They have lots of snacks and it is a pretty fun time except for the last two hours of her shift when they open to customers.  10 hours is good money, too!

My youngest sister always volunteers to work on Thanksgiving.   She gets paid time and a half and usually gets in a TON of hours!  We can work our family dinner around her.  

My husband always works on Thanksgiving and Christmas too.  He's a priest.  :)

My dh will have to work until around 8am that morning.  He's the night shift supervisor, so it's hard for him to get time off if the plant isn't completely shut down.  This is their busiest time of year, so he almost had to work the night of Thanksgiving too, but they decided to just shut down for Thursday night.  So he'll be here for dinner, but he'll be really, really tired.

My youngest sister always volunteers to work on Thanksgiving.   She gets paid time and a half and usually gets in a TON of hours!  We can work our family dinner around her.  

My husband always works on Thanksgiving and Christmas too.  He's a priest.   :)

LOL--mine is, too--but he trades working TG for Christmas Day. Thank goodness we have an assistant!

Yep.  Ds is working Thanksgiving morning from 8- about noon.  He works at a kennel and the dogs need to be taken care of no matter what.  At least it is only a short time.  As you can imagine, they have a lot of dogs this time of year.

My job involved travel, and I spent most Thanksgivings in various cities feasting on a limited room service menu. This year I retired, and it's the first holiday since college that I'll be home. The family wasted no time assigning me a dish to bring!  (We end up with 40-50 people, so all of our holidays are potluck.)

We actually celebrate in another state, with the family who stayed when my parents and I moved.  Some years my parents and kids have flown on the actual day of Thanksgiving, and that was only possible because the airline employees were working that day. Mom always brings chocolates for the ground crew and Starbucks g/c for the flight crew when she flies on holidays.

Dh is off this year but only because his regular day off is Thursday.  Many many years he has worked on Thankgiving.  When I worked retail, if I wanted to be home for the holiday I had to drive 2 hours after the store closed Wednesday night and be back to open it on Friday morning.  Looking at the calendar, DH will be working on Christmas.  His mom used to give us a hard time, but it is not as if the entire world shuts down for every holiday.

Yes, I have a single sib that always works on holidays. He figures it is a kindess to those who have families and are involved in meal prep. No big deal for him to go straight from work to food.

Wow, that is nice of him.  :)

Dh usually doesn't take vacation during the summer months since we homeschool, that leaves more slots for the guys who can only travel with kids during the summer.  (BTW, those guys who can only vacation with their kids during the summer have been totally hosed by these sunmmertime government "shut downs".)

DH is on call 24/7 so, while he usually doesn't work t-day......

We never really know.

We have yet to have a holiday or a single day off that hasn't involved at least one trouble shooting call for DH.

My sister and I laugh because our family is full of people working in the military, medical, media, and ministry fields. The teachers are the only ones in the crowd with guaranteed holidays off! We must all enjoy it on some level since all of us from the family married partners within the same four career fields!

My husband will be working Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday since he's a cop.  He's already dreading the fights and theft that inevitably take place every year.  He'll be drowned in paper work for days.  But, he does get paid double time and a half both days, so that helps!  The extra money he makes will more than pay for Christmas!  :) 

Luckily, since he's a sergeant, he automatically gets Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off! 

he is the boss now and gets holidays off as long as everything stays quiet.

so true. a few years back seattle's transportation head went off and spent Christmas with family in another state while there was a series of major snowstorms blocking roads.  that person wasn't doing their job coordinating clearing efforts and the public went after them.  the mayor lost in the primary the following year.

I grew up in a medical family so I am used to not having all the family around for holidays. Same for DH whose dad is a vet. Seems like there is always a cow with a prolapsed uterus on any holiday. Then I worked at a domestic violence agency and we were always busy on Thanksgiving and Christmas etc. I often had to work both.

As for 'black Friday' I don't set foot in a store the day after Thanksgiving, and businesses that are open on Thanksgiving have lost my business for the entire holiday season. 

so true. a few years back seattle's transportation head went off and spent Christmas with family in another state while there was a series of major snowstorms blocking roads.  that person wasn't doing their job coordinating clearing efforts and the public went after them.  the mayor lost in the primary the following year.

There was no way Nickels was getting another term, snow or no snow.  The only reason he got two was because only a near lunatic challenged him the previous election.  Incidentally, my younger son was born in that snow storm, a month early on an emergency basis.  Fun Christmas.  

We have a long history of tossing out mayors here, including this year.  

My DH is a pastor, so yes. Preaching (sometimes at just one of the two churches, sometimes at both) on Thanksgiving Day (also Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc.) :) I appreciate it's not what would be viewed as an entire shift, so he can have some family time with us for part of the day.

Erica in OR

As for 'black Friday' I don't set foot in a store the day after Thanksgiving, and businesses that are open on Thanksgiving have lost my business for the entire holiday season. 

I agree, though now that the grocery stores are open on Thanksgiving in the early morning, I have had to lighten up a little.  

We do buy nothing day all weekend.  

DH's brother and family are coming tomorrow, and then will spend the latter part of the week with the wife's family. So it will be just us on Thanksgiving.

As a professor and teacher, I am officially off all week, but I'll be doing some much-needed prep work and grading.  Maybe not on Thanksgiving, but certainly on the other days.

I agree, though now that the grocery stores are open on Thanksgiving in the early morning, I have had to lighten up a little.  

I always feel bad going to the grocery story on Thanksgiving Day, but no matter how much I plan, we always need something.  Last year it was Pepto Bismol and butter.  At least they close early in time for the employees to enjoy the evening off.

So I cut them some slack.  They are just seeing an opportunity I guess.

My son works fast food and has been told they will be working short shifts on 3 of the 4 upcoming holidays. They were open Christmas Day last year, so that's not even a given.

They don't post this week's schedule until Monday--not at all fair to the employees who can't make plans.

I start working at Kroger tomorrow, so I assume I'll be working Thanksgiving morning. :)

No big whoop, yo! My previous job in the military expected me to work holidays. For four years prior to that I worked in a gas station that was open year round.

It doesn't bother me and I am fine with it. I don't go out shopping on BF anyways, but I won't stop shopping somewhere just because they're open on Thanksgiving.

Yep. My daughter works in the entertainment department of a large hotel/resort, and they will be open and have guests on all of the holidays. So, the entertainers work. They had a chance to rank order of preference for which holidays they cared most about having off, and Thanksgiving was kind of the middle of my daughter's list. She did manage to get an afternoon/evening shift and so will be home long enough to watch the Macy's Parade (a family tradition) and have Thanksgiving lunch before she needs to go to work.

As it happens, my son is entered in a dance competition that begins Thanksgiving afternoon, too. My husband is irritable that no one will be home past 2:00-ish, but I'm just pleased it worked out so that both of them start in the afternoon and we can all four be here together for the morning.

Maybe.  I haven't heard yet.  Sick people are still sick on Thanksgiving.  

That is very true.  Some jobs have to go on no matter what day it is.

I don't understand why people need to start Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving Day though.  That is just crazy.

We do buy nothing day all weekend.  

I try to do Small Business Saturday, just buying a few token things to say thanks to my favorite storekeepers here in town for being part of our community.

DH works this Thanksgiving from 1-11pm, so we're not having any celebration. Either having people to our house or going out of town would feel like excluding him. (He's worked a lot of Thanksgivings but we had a run of 3 out of the past 4 years that he was off and we could host family here, so we're a little bummed to miss out this year.)

However we already know he'll be off Christmas for the first time in something like 5 years, so that'll be novel.

I don't understand why people need to start Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving Day though.  That is just crazy.

Even crazier - Christmas lights started going up around my neighborhood the weekend after Halloween.  Here we are the week before Thanksgiving, and I'd say 20% of the homes here already have lights up. Driving down a single street you'll see fall/autumnal decorations at one home and winter dĂƒÂ©cor and lights at the next!

My oldest brother works for the power company. He's at the office all day on Thanksgiving every year. 

My step-dad used to be a printer for the newspaper.  He almost always worked on Thanksgiving.

My youngest brother works for Intel's chip factory.  He works every other year on Thanksgiving.

I am really enjoying hearing about all the different jobs where people work holidays. There is so much focus on retailers, as if they're so evil because they choose to be open on a holiday. In reality, there are plenty of people working.

I do feel that there's a difference, as retail is the only one where working the holiday is profit-motivated. The others are all focused on keeping basic infrastructure running.

I work part time as a cake decorator and yes, I'm working Thanksgiving. I don't mind- our family lives 850 miles away. This year dd is coming with her dh and their kids, and she's going to cook while I'm at work.  

I know stores open in order to try to maximize sales, and I'm ok with that. I know I'll see many regular customers that day- mostly lonely older people who either don't have family nearby or who want something to do after their dinner.  They come by and ask me how my day has been- and several came by today to ask if I would be working Thursday.  Every retail worker doesn't have the experience I do, and that's too bad. 

I won't be working Christmas or New Year's- taking a nice long trip to see family. 

I do feel that there's a difference, as retail is the only one where working the holiday is profit-motivated. The others are all focused on keeping basic infrastructure running.

Health care workers, emergency personnel, military, yes. However, hotels, gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants, grocery stores (in the mornings at least), etc have all been open on holidays for years and years, but it seems the majority of complaints have come these past couple of years or so when some stores have started opening on Thanksgiving night instead of super early Friday morning. I worked at the gas station from 99 to 03 and I have never seen any online petitions or internet uproar about not stopping at the gas station on any holiday.

DH typically works thanksgiving being that he works at the airport and planes come and go 365 days a year. However, his company was bought by another and so now policies have changed. The new employer gives EVERYONE the day off and then ask for volunteers. They set it up for a bidding war, people wanting to make triple time. If you work one shift you get double time, if you work a second shift, you get triple time for that shift. So, naturally everyone wants that day. DH has six years seniority and is no where near able to touch working that day. I will admit I won't complain having him home for a change!