Menu

Questions for Americans

bolt.

Are Diners a real thing?

I've seen Diners in so many movies and shows that, I suddenly stopped to think that I don't think I've ever been in one. Unless Denny's is a Diner?

If so, what makes a Diner a Diner, and not just a regular Restaurant?

Any ideas why there aren't any in my neck of the woods? {Urban, western Canada} Or am I just missing them?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do exist, but I think it's just a matter of choice of name.  They are usually small places that have simple, affordable food.  There was one in a small town where I used to live, J___:  The J___ Diner.  Very creative.  ;)  No idea why it is still open 30+ years later, considering its informal name was the "Choke'n'Puke."  LOL.

Diners most certainly are real and a staple from my youth.  They are restaurants that offer an assortment of foods (usually affordable) from breakfast to dinner.   Hamburgers, salads, chops, and daily specials. The best place to get french fries and gravy at midnight after you have seen a movie.

Unfortunately, diners are on the decline. http://nymag.com/nymetro/food/features/9530/

Yes they are real! The traditional ones are in buildings that kind of look like trailers or campers. I don't see many of them anymore, but there are lots of places that use regular buildings and serve similar food. I think of a diner as a place were the cooks have a big grill that is visible and you have bar type seating in front of it where you can watch them cook most things. They will usually have seating in tables too. Denny's is not really a diner.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/index.html

Living in Western Canada, I can attest that they do exist here.  There may not be nearly as many, but Elvis Rocks the Canyon (on the way to Hell's Gate) is one example that pops directly to my mind.  That type of place is a diner.

I think as far as not seeing them urban - I think it is the actual label "diner" you aren't seeing.  Often a dive of a restaurant, usually family run, often with a counter and bar stools for service... they exist, but are just called restaurants.

Diners have some of the best food ever.  It's not good for you food a lot of the time, but it's good.  There are about 5 diners in the town where my mom lives and 2 of them have been open since the late 40's, and are still owned by the same families.  They're non-chain restaurants and generally have a huge (and often weird) variety of foods.  My mom and step-dad have one right down the road that they love to do to for b'fast, because a cup of coffee (free refills) is .49 and a plate of bacon, eggs, grits and toast is $1.99.  Their prices are low, but the owner, who is the sweetest little old guy, says there's no real reason to raise them, as he's got a loyal customer base and he's not trying to get rich.  

When I think of diner I think of a smallish, not too fancy and not too expensive place that has a wide variety of food to choose from.  Breakfast is often served all day.  There is usually a counter with stools as well as tables and booths.  They're family friendly.  Denny's is kind of a diner, but IMO not a really good example because it's a chain.  The best diners are mom-and-pop places or very small, local chains (we have a good diner here that has three locations, and another that has two locations).

They are real in the PNW but mostly on the road or in touristy spots. There are a few breakfast places around the city with that diner feel but when we drive out of town there is no shortage of them. In the small town my husband was raised in the diner is like city hall and the public commons and the park all rolled into one. It is still going strong.

There are also "hipster" sort of diners in big cities.  Places that are modeled on diners but which serve a sort of newer version of diner food.

I second that New Jersey is the mecca of diner dining.

I don't think they'll die any time soon.  Of course, I live in a city...  There is a sort of sameness to the shopping in some parts of the US where large retailers and restaurant chains have edged out local businesses.  But in other places, there's still plenty of locally owned, individual type places, including diners.

I suppose there are a few types of diners.  You have the long, skinny diners that look like rail cars, and you have the diners that could be restaurants -- just squarish buildings.  in my experience, both have counters as well as booth or table seating.  Restaurants might have bars, but no counters.

Diner food is probably a bit more home-y, and definitely less fancy.  There also seems to be a diner style that, at least around here, involves decor with a lot more mirror finishes.

What really intrigues me is why people in the US are called "Americans" by our North American neighbors.  Hmm.

Because "somebody" thought they needed to appropriate the name of an entire continent when they decided to declare independence. (Ahem. Manifest Destiny, anyone?) Is there some other way to refer to you? United-States-ians? State-siders? Hmmm. I could have fun with this. Uni(s)? Unissies? Unitidos? Statioi?

Most foreigners I know refer to my country as "US" or "Los Estados Unidos."  Not sure what our __-an should be.  I don't think of myself as __-an based on my citizenship.  But you do have a point.  There doesn't seem to be a __-an term specific to the USA.  But "US residents" or "US citizens" would work for most purposes.

I think diners are not as common in big cities anymore, but in small towns -- at least in the midwest -- they are all over.  They are not touristy or "popular," they are simply the local cafes where people gather and eat.  They are not part of a chain, they have more of a humble atmosphere rather than a fine-dining atmosphere, and food is usually homemade and comparatively inexpensive.

What really intrigues me is why people in the US are called "Americans" by our North American neighbors.  Hmm.

I think about this a lot, because my DIL is from Canada and my SIL is from Central America, and they both consider themselves "Americans" too!  (Which they are, of course.)

There's a ton of diners in my neighborhood and I love them.  The menus have everything - lots of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, appetizers, drinks, you name it.  And you can have anything any time of day.  Most are open 24 hours.  I prefer diner food over some good restaurants many times.  

Here's one of my favorite diners in Queens.  Click on the "MENU" tab to see how much food these places actually serve!

I think about this a lot, because my DIL is from Canada and my SIL is from Central America, and they both consider themselves "Americans" too!  (Which they are, of course.)

Reaily? Wow, I don't think I've ever heard a Canadian refer to themselves as American. In fact, Canadians pride themselves on being very distinct from their neighbors to the south.

I miss easy access to diners. (<--- New Jersey native) They are very, very real!

We have one within reasonable distance. The defining aspect for me is all day breakfast. To be a diner, you must be able to offer me an omelette with french fries during any open hour. To be a GOOD diner, you should be open 24 hours. And you cannot be a chain. I'd also prefer the owners to be Greek. Simply because the diners I've grown up frequenting had Greek owners, lol.

I live about a quarter mile from our local diner -- and I eat there about 3x a week.

I think that's part of the diner-appeal:  small, locally owned, with a very loyal clientele.  Ours is mostly workers and office types stopping by during the noon hour... but I live right down the road and stop by, too. :)

Yes, diners are real.

Ideally, the building is a converted RR car looking thing. Google images 'diner' and they will pop up. Exception: diner style buildings that serve upscale food, health food, Asian food are not real diners, imo. My area (NJ) has a number of these -- you get to eat in something called a diner but with more modern food.

Diners should have a counter as well as tables. Some (or all) of the table should be booths. Ideally, there will be a contraption at the side of each table that allows you to push buttons to play songs on a jukebox. (Well, that is pretty old-fashioned.)

The menu should be  laminated and should not have specials. One section should be entitled, 'All Day Breakfast.' You should be able to order something that is not a whole meal, i.e. coffee & pie, tea & english muffin. None of the food is gourmet -- nothing with pomegranate seeds, balsamic vinegar, etc.

I have to run, so that is it for now....

Some places are diner cousins

http://burgerbeast.com/2009/08/24/white-manna-burger-hackensack-new-jersey/

I miss easy access to diners. (<--- New Jersey native) They are very, very real!

To be a GOOD diner, you should be open 24 hours. And you cannot be a chain. I'd also prefer the owners to be Greek. Simply because the diners I've grown up frequenting had Greek owners, lol.

Yes, every NJ diner does seem to be under Greek ownership -- maybe it's a law?  Greek diners are excellent, although the decor tends to be a bit shiny.

Yes they are real! The traditional ones are in buildings that kind of look like trailers or campers. 

Railroad cars!

220px-Rosebud_Diner.jpg 

In New England, we referred to them simply as "greasy spoons" (as in "a greasy spoon diner" or where the focus was on good, greasy food fast, not particularly clean dishes). 

Reaily? Wow, I don't think I've ever heard a Canadian refer to themselves as American. In fact, Canadians pride themselves on being very distinct from their neighbors to the south.

Yeah, I find that a little intriguing too...

Many of the "Canadians" I personally know have either moved *to* the USA or moved to Canada *from* another country.  However, I've worked with lots of Canadian-Canadians and have traveled up there a bit, too.  Aside from a slightly different accent and dialect, I don't see that much difference in the individuals on either side of the border.  Unless you're focusing on French-Canadians.

If you order a burger at a diner it is just a patty on a bun. You have to specifically request pickles or lettuce if you want them. :-)

They also have an interesting lingo all their own.

"Burn one, take it through the garden and pin a rose on it" is a burger with lettuce, tomato, and onion on it.

Speaking of Canadians and food, what do you guys call Canadian bacon? And what do you call the kind of bacon we just call "bacon" down here? :P

I'd never noticed "Canadian bacon" (which reminds me of smoked ham or pork roll) until moving to the US, though it may have existed add a pizza topping... not sure. We eat back bacon (sometimes peameal bacon) and bacon.

I agree, and bristle at the very thought of being referred to as "American."

Yeah, I find that a little intriguing too...

Many of the "Canadians" I personally know have either moved *to* the USA or moved to Canada *from* another country.  However, I've worked with lots of Canadian-Canadians and have traveled up there a bit, too.  Aside from a slightly different accent and dialect, I don't see that much difference in the individuals on either side of the border.  Unless you're focusing on French-Canadians.

Not sure why you need quotation marks to describe a Canadian who has moved to the US, or for someone who immigrated to Canada. Either are just as much real Canadians as people who are born and die in Canada. I've lived in the US for almost fifteen years now, and am still most certainly a Canadian. I've also never described myself as American, either before or after I moved here to get married. I don't know that there is that much difference between individuals on either side of the border (particularly when comparing people who live near the border itself) but the cultures of the two countries are different in many ways that I'm not sure would be readily apparent to a short-term visitor.

Most foreigners I know refer to my country as "US" or "Los Estados Unidos." Not sure what our __-an should be. I don't think of myself as __-an based on my citizenship. But you do have a point. There doesn't seem to be a __-an term specific to the USA. But "US residents" or "US citizens" would work for most purposes.

To clunky. Most of the world calls you Americans. It works. We call you Yankees or Yanks too but it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that inside the US that only refers to some Americans and that others might be offended by its use.

To clunky. Most of the world calls you Americans. It works. We call you Yankees or Yanks too but it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that inside the US that only refers to some Americans and that others might be offended by its use.

I would mind very much being called a Yankee. I am also not a redneck. 

My home state was not even a state during the Civil war.

I don't know that there is that much difference between individuals on either side of the border (particularly when comparing people who live near the border itself) but the cultures of the two countries are different in many ways that I'm not sure would be readily apparent to a short-term visitor.

The differences between cultures within Canada or within the USA are even more significant than that between the generic/average Canadian / US citizen.  But on a generic level, I'm not sure what some Canadians view as being shudder-worthy when comparing the two populations.  Anyway, you can take comfort in the fact that, as far as I know, folks south of the border don't feel the same way about you.

The differences between cultures within Canada or within the USA are even more significant than that between the generic/average Canadian / US citizen.  But on a generic level, I'm not sure what some Canadians view as being shudder-worthy when comparing the two populations.  Anyway, you can take comfort in the fact that, as far as I know, folks south of the border don't feel the same way about you.

SKL, you took the words right out of my mouth!

I'd never noticed "Canadian bacon" (which reminds me of smoked ham or pork roll) until moving to the US, though it may have existed add a pizza topping... not sure. We eat back bacon (sometimes peameal bacon) and bacon.

It is back bacon, not really pork roll. Pork roll is just mushed up stuff rolled into a loaf thing of some sort.