Menu

Did you have morning sickness before a test was positive?

Ann.without.an.e

Just curious how common this is.  I seriously think I might be pregnant...A few days ago, my dog started acting funny.  Sneaking upstairs to sleep by my side of the bed, won't leave my side, won't leave me to go outside with DH (his world revolves around DH!), etc.  The only other time he has done this is when I was pregnant.  Now this morning I am super queasy.  I don't have an easily upset stomach so I rarely get queasy but I had extreme morning sickness with all four kiddos for months and months :(  I just don't ever remember being sick until about 1-2 weeks after a test was positive.  I took a test this morning and it was negative.  It was on the early side so I will wait a few days to test again.  Just curious if anyone here was sick BEFORE a test was positive?

Yes. I also get food cravings before the pregnancy test comes out positive (with DD, I found myself craving nachos starting about a week past ovulation. She still loves Tex-Mex).

Unfortunately, though, as I'm getting into perimenopause, I also get morning sickness about a week before my period. Very, very, VERY frustrating, especially since I'd love to have another baby.

My kitty girl started sleeping on my stomach before I got a + the first time. I'd had her for 8 years and she had never done that. It was obsessive too, like anytime I would sit down and I couldn't displace her. I have had HG (severe MS) with each baby, but none started before the tests. Metal mouth did.

I don't start throwing up until 8w2d, don't ask why but its been that way with every pregnancy. My clue is a sudden intense need to CLEAN, were talking obsession with scrubbing the floor with a tooth brush clean just a couple days after conception. Last time it happened at 3DPO and I knew then I was preggo. oh carp, I gotta stay off these preggo threads, I'm suddenly wanting another baby and thats a very bad idea! I look at a man and I get prego, ugh! Bad thoughts! lol

Actually, in all honesty....how long would you wait to retest?

First Day of my last period was August 25th if that matters.  I am not on a 28 day cycle.  I am usually more like 30-35+ days.

I am thinking I should wait until at least Friday?  Maybe longer, if I can stand it?

No, but I have had "morning sickness" and tested negative. I actually had symptoms for about 3-4 days but tested negative 3 times during that week. Actually 4 times--my gyn did a blood test. (Just happened this took place at the time of my annual exam so she did the testing.) Obviously something was happening but I got my period a few days later.

short answer - yes.  I rarely - and I mean rarely - ever experienced much morning sickness.  mostly, it was queasy.

I also had major PMS-type symptoms (I actually hoped it was just PMS because then I would feel better.)  I remember walking down the hallway with a load of laundry and dropping it so I could run to the bathroom to empty my stomach.  I still thought I was just getting sick - but other symptoms never developed.

I had an aversion to chocolate.  dh and I went out for ice cream sundae's. . . . . . as soon as it was placed on the table in front of me.    get. it. a.w.a.y. from. me!  it was very sad.

I don't get morning sickness, but I sleep constantly.  I definitely slept extra hours starting right after conception and  before I tested positive.  In fact by baby #3, I called and asked the doc for a blood test because it was too early for a pee test.  Due to a previous complication, I needed to know exactly when I conceived.  It was just a few days after relations. 

I did with DS 2. He was a surprise and I was actually at a get-together with some friends and saying how I missed having a baby. When I got home, I was overwhelmed by nausea and thought I'd eaten something bad there but it continued for several days. I was in such denial that I waited 2 weeks more of really bad morning sickness convinced it was a really bad stomach bug before I decided to take a test to prove to my husband that wasn't the cause and it was positive. I had strong morning sickness with him and it actually lasted through my 2nd trimester.

No, I had the keen sense of smell prior to testing, but I get BFP pretty easily (about a week before my missed period) and the nausea doesn't kick in until week 6 or 7 with me.

It seems logical to me that if your hormones have hit the point where you're having symptoms, it should show up on a test, shouldn't it? But I guess that's not the case from the other replies - my sensitivity to hormonal changes must be about the same as an average HPT  :tongue_smilie:

I can't explain the dog, but just to throw something out there, in the last few years I've gotten hormone surges that made me feel just like morning sickness. Never lasting more than a day or 2, but if dh hadn't had the big V, I would have been testing for sure.

I had that for several years.  early pregnancy type symptoms would last for several days - then go away just before my cycle started. in a way it was helpful - I had irregular cycles and was never caught by surprise.  it didn't come back after dudeling was born.

I get sicker and sicker, earlier and earlier, with every pregnancy (I'm on my 5th). This time the sickness didn't kick in until about five weeks, but I was exhausted from the very beginning, for probably two weeks before it occurred to me that I might be pregnant. It was my first clue.

I don't normally worry about it, but when I told DH about being a little sick and being late,  he said

"well, we did sort of have a total protection fail"  :001_huh:   He wasn't going to tell me because he didn't want me in this position....wondering if I was preggers.  He knows that it drives me absolutely crazy.  One of my motivations for waiting is to prove to him that I can be patient  :001_tt2:   Also, I would be embarrassed to turn in my receipts to him, showing my 1 million pregnancy test purchases.  lol

I am home with a sick child so I can't test today.  I tested one week ago and it was negative but it was really early.  Seriously though, my hormones do get whacky sometimes.  I guess whack-o hormones could cause sore boooooooks and nausea?  

Progesterone (like that which causes PMS) can definitely give you sore books and nausea before your period is due, even when you're not pregnant. The sore books part is a normal PMS symptom for me.

Get thee to the dollar store!