Menu

s/o Who considers capers a pantry staple?

Jean in Newcastle

Are capers a pantry staple  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Are capers a pantry staple

• Yes
    • No

If any of you caper-lovers ever gets the chance to try "salt-packed capers" (as opposed to those sold in brine), I would urge you to do so. Brine packed capers are delicious, but salt-packed capers....OMG! :D

Great Italian markets often have the salt-packed ones. They need to be soaked briefly prior to using. The taste and texture are even better than brined. The taste of the caper itself really comes out.

Bill

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you caper-lovers ever gets the chance to try "salt-packed capers" (as opposed to those sold in brine), I would urge you to do so. Brine packed capers are delicious, but salt-packed capers....OMG! :D

Great Italian markets often have the salt-packed ones. They need to be soaked briefly prior to using. The taste and texture are even better than brined. The taste of the caper itself really comes out.

Bill

:iagree:

I'm not a big caper fan, but I agree that the salt-packed ones are better. For me, I think it's more of a texture thing than a taste thing, but it does seem like the salt-packed ones have a fresher taste or something. I can't figure out how to describe what I mean! (I'll never make it as a food critic!)

Bill

You make me sad. I guess I could offer a trade with someone who needs something from the fantastic Asian markets we have here? ;)

Toasted "everything" bagel, spread with cream cheese, topped with a thick slice of homegrown tomato, a slab of lox, and a scattering of capers = Best. Breakfast. Ever.

Oh my goodness, Yum! I usually use them in Salmon Piccata or Random Fish Piccata but I must try this immediately!

To my knowledge, I've never even had capers, not even in a restaurant - and I'm a fairly adventurous eater.

Sure you have. Remember those little weird-looking things that you discreetly slid over to the edge of your dinner plate and hid under some kind of decorative sprig of something?

Those were the capers. ;)

I have exactly one recipe that calls for capers and I can't even recall what it is -- some sort of pasta dish. I don't dislike them. I eat them at restaurants. I'm honestly not sure if my family eats them or not.

I don't even know what they are exactly. I always assumed they were brined or pickled peppercorns of some sort. That's what they look like.

Sure you have. Remember those little weird-looking things that you discreetly slid over to the edge of your dinner plate and hid under some kind of decorative sprig of something?

Those were the capers. ;)

LOL, maybe. Except that I'll eat the decorative sprig, just to see what it tastes like too. ;) Adventurous, remember?

We bought some 5-7 years ago, the kind in brine. Dh, who loves olives and is very unpicky with food, was completely disgusted. I didn't like the smell (I don't like olives and I am picky about food). After 2 years I threw the jar out. 

Donna Hay, like Bill, has said that the salt-packed ones can be enjoyed when you don't like the brine ones, so I'm sure we'll try them again some day. If I can ever find the salt-packed ones. 

Just realized I don't know what they are except that I know they are very small and round. But whether they are tiny peas, tiny nuts, peppercorns, or tiny raisins, I don't know. Off to find out.

Ok, it's the bud of a Mediterranean shrub also called a Flinders Rose- that's a beautiful name. But to quote (yes, Wikipedia, I know):

"The taxonomic status of the species is controversial and unsettled."

No wonder I was unclear what it was!

You make me sad. I guess I could offer a trade with someone who needs something from the fantastic Asian markets we have here? ;)

If you are back in Hawaii (I'm losing track) I can't feel too sorry for you.

All that delicious fresh sea-food trumps capers (of any variety) any day.

Bill

Bill

Off to check pantry and make grocery list notation.. Thanks!

A tip for the frugal: the caper brine packs a lot of caper flavor (in addition to being salty) so as the capers are getting used up, one can use the excess brine (remembering you need to leave enough to cover the capers)  to replace salt in recipes that will benefit from that good caper flavor.

Don't toss the brine just because the capers are gone.

Bill 

If we were close I'd happily trade you for (child's) piano lessons :D

Bill

Bill, I WOULD LOVE THAT!

I would be thrilled to work with your little man. We would have a wonderful time. I've got a new synthesizer here, time spent on it as a reward for lessons well learned. My youngest son has been hamming up songs he's learned during his regular lesson time with me.

I sincerely hope you found someone in your neck of the woods that is doing a good job and is a good personality fit for you son.

A tip for the frugal: the caper brine packs a lot of caper flavor (in addition to being salty) so as the capers are getting used up, one can use the excess brine (remembering you need to leave enough to cover the capers)  to replace salt in recipes that will benefit from that good caper flavor.

Don't toss the brine just because the capers are gone.

Bill 

Seconded. You can also chuck other vegetables (such as shredded carrots) into the leftover brine for a few days. Odd but divine.

We're never without capers here. Even the cat likes them, as I found out when I dropped one and she attacked it. Costco does have a good price on them (it was even a plot point on Frasier once; Niles discovered a warehouse store and showed up with a gallon jar of capers), as does World Market.

Caperberries, though? Those things are weird.

Bill, I WOULD LOVE THAT!

I would be thrilled to work with your little man. We would have a wonderful time. I've got a new synthesizer here, time spent on it as a reward for lessons well learned. My youngest son has been hamming up songs he's learned during his regular lesson time with me.

I sincerely hope you found someone in your neck of the woods that is doing a good job and is a good personality fit for you son.

I WOULD LOVE THAT TOO.

We are extremely fortunate to have found a brilliant piano teacher (though a chance introduction at a party). She was classically trained, attended Juilliard, then developed a love of rock-popular music as well. She is deeply connected with serious (famous) musicians, is employed by the most famous TV "talent competition show" to work with contestants, cultivates and manages young bands, writes songs and scores films. Does it all.

I'm not expert, but she seems brilliant to me. She is tough (and nice, sometimes :D), and demanding, and a stickler for finger postions and the technical stuff being right. And pushes the theory and "counting" and all the things a "serious" musician needs to master.

I am super happy.

I would love to get an electric organ/synth someday. I love all the 60-70s B-3, Vox Continental, Farfisa organ sounds. When Ray Manzerick, the Doors organist, died recently I went on a Doors listening run that lead to a whole organ retrospective that went on for weeks and months.

Now, we are about to get a cello (through school) where son will be in the "orchestra" (if we dare to call it that). So we've been listening to heavy doses of Rostropovich, Pablo Casals, Janos Starker, Jacqueline Du Pré, Pierre Fournier, and Yo-Yo Ma. Do I over do it? You bet! :D

I can't wait to hear Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

Bill (not talented, but a music lover none-the-less)

Seconded. You can also chuck other vegetables (such as shredded carrots) into the leftover brine for a few days. Odd but divine.

We're never without capers here. Even the cat likes them, as I found out when I dropped one and she attacked it. Costco does have a good price on them (it was even a plot point on Frasier once; Niles discovered a warehouse store and showed up with a gallon jar of capers), as does World Market.

Caperberries, though? Those things are weird.

Wow, I haven't had caperberries in a coon's age :D

I like 'em though.

Bill

I WOULD LOVE THAT TOO.

We are extremely fortunate to have found a brilliant piano teacher (though a chance introduction at a party). She was classically trained, attended Juilliard, then developed a love of rock-popular music as well. She is deeply connected with serious (famous) musicians, is employed by the most famous TV "talent competition show" to work with contestants, cultivates and manages young bands, writes songs and scores films. Does it all.

I'm not expert, but she seems brilliant to me. She is tough (and nice, sometimes :D), and demanding, and a stickler for finger postions and the technical stuff being right. And pushes the theory and "counting" and all the things a "serious" musician needs to master.

I am super happy.

I would love to get an electric organ/synth someday. I love all the 60-70s B-3, Vox Continental, Farfisa organ sounds. When Ray Manzerick, the Doors organist, died recently I went on a Doors listening run that lead to a whole organ retrospective that went on for weeks and months.

Now, we are about to get a cello (through school) where son will be in the "orchestra" (if we dare to call it that). So we've been listening to heavy doses of Rostropovich, Pablo Casals, Janos Starker, Jacqueline Du Pré, Pierre Fournier, and Yo-Yo Ma. Do I over do it? You bet! :D

I can't wait to hear Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

Bill (not talented, but a music lover none-the-less)

Wonderful! Glad to hear it!

As for the "orchestra", I can relate. Having grown up in a fairly rural school district, our version of "orchestra" was really concert band with three violins, one viola, and ELECTRIC BASS!!!! Ha-ha...seriously though, that boy could play! He did a Bach piece on it one time for the spring concert and received a well deserved standing ovation and that says a lot because I am no fan of the gratuitous standing ovation that many youth these days receive for performances that are not even above average much less outstanding.

Best memory from high school - playing the Grieg Concerto on the school's crappy, can barely be tuned and remain that way for more than a few days, Kimble upright piano accompanied by the "orchestra". Woodwinds complaining that they had to rest far too much, the three string players getting the workout of a lifetime trying to carry that fledgling orchestra along! Good times...especially since the band director new just about nothing for strings. Those poor kids were kind of on their own. Oh, and the french horn player - "They want me to do WHAT????" I don't remember exactly, but I think it had something to do with coming in on a very, very high note pianissimo.

Your son will be well served to play cello in an "orchestra". Tell him my experiences made me a better musician.

Wonderful! Glad to hear it!

As for the "orchestra", I can relate. Having grown up in a fairly rural school district, our version of "orchestra" was really concert band with three violins, one viola, and ELECTRIC BASS!!!! Ha-ha...seriously though, that boy could play! He did a Bach piece on it one time for the spring concert and received a well deserved standing ovation and that says a lot because I am no fan of the gratuitous standing ovation that many youth these days receive for performances that are not even above average much less outstanding.

Best memory from high school - playing the Grieg Concerto on the school's crappy, can barely be tuned and remain that way for more than a few days, Kimble upright piano accompanied by the "orchestra". Woodwinds complaining that they had to rest far too much, the three string players getting the workout of a lifetime trying to carry that fledgling orchestra along! Good times...especially since the band director new just about nothing for strings. Those poor kids were kind of on their own. Oh, and the french horn player - "They want me to do WHAT????" I don't remember exactly, but I think it had something to do with coming in on a very, very high note pianissimo.

Your son will be well served to play cello in an "orchestra". Tell him my experiences made me a better musician.

He is excited. Being a "kinetic" sort of kid, the hardest part of playing piano is sitting still (and I had to make repairs to our poor piano bench yesterday that prove it), but with the cello I'm sure he'll have fun rocking on it. They had their first practice last week, and he had fun.

Plus "playing in time" with other people is the "skill of the moment" that our piano teacher is pounding him with, so it is good.

Were we discussing capers? :D

Bill

He is excited. Being a "kinetic" sort of kid, the hardest part of playing piano is sitting still (and I had to make repairs to our poor piano bench yesterday that prove it), but with the cello I'm sure he'll have fun rocking on it. They had their first practice last week, and he had fun.

Plus "playing in time" with other people is the "skill of the moment" that our piano teacher is pounding him with, so it is good.

Were we discussing capers? :D

Bill

Capers schmappers!

Okay, so let's see. I might have some in my cupboard, but I wouldn't call them a regular staple around here.

There. I contributed properly.

Now, for the other thing. Bill, does he have an adjustable bench or a regular? If his feet cannot sit flat on the floor while still maintaining the appropriate arm's length from the keyboard, does he have a foot rest...could even be just a box? Comfort and proper positioning helps a little with the wiggles.

If the bench is adjustable, then go out online and look at those seat cushions they make for ADD students...they are gel packed, if memory serves, and move with the student. It gives the feeling of movement that is required for the kinetic learner to activate long term memory, while minimizing the effects of the movement itself. Sort of promoting quite jiggles. You can then adjust the bench to it's lowest setting and let him have the cushion to bring him back up to the right height.

You'll save your bench some wear and tear this way. If not adjustable, since he's young, chances are he still sets a little bit low anyway if you don't have a heavy cushion for him. Get a decent foam pullow and let him sit on it with the box under his feet.

Don't dispair! Your little man would not be a challenge in the grand scheme of things. I used to do music therapy including private lessons for children with every kind of processing disorder, significant impairments, and the like. One of my favorite punkins was a young man of 9 years age and IQ beyond the measuring of local psychologists such that his extrapolated IQ was estimated at 193. He was a wiggler extraordinaire and many times played standing up. His mom and I threw a mini-party when he went four measures without getting up or turning around, or...you get the picture. When he managed 8 measures, I took him to a concert at the DSO...youth concert...we set in the balcony behind everyone else, used my opera glasses, and had a blast while he stood for a good portion of the performance. When he made 16 measures, we gave him a standing ovation at the annual piano recital and if you knew this kid, you'd know it was a well-earned, hard-earned, sweat it out, utilizing every ounce of self-control standing ovation.

Capers....okay, I need ideas on how to use them creatively since we should probably get them used up.. I don't think they are particularly fresh, though certainly not bad...in a brine.

Capers schmappers!

Okay, so let's see. I might have some in my cupboard, but I wouldn't call them a regular staple around here.

There. I contributed properly.

Now, for the other thing. Bill, does he have an adjustable bench or a regular? If his feet cannot sit flat on the floor while still maintaining the appropriate arm's length from the keyboard, does he have a foot rest...could even be just a box? Comfort and proper positioning helps a little with the wiggles.

If the bench is adjustable, then go out online and look at those seat cushions they make for ADD students...they are gel packed, if memory serves, and move with the student. It gives the feeling of movement that is required for the kinetic learner to activate long term memory, while minimizing the effects of the movement itself. Sort of promoting quite jiggles. You can then adjust the bench to it's lowest setting and let him have the cushion to bring him back up to the right height.

You'll save your bench some wear and tear this way. If not adjustable, since he's young, chances are he still sets a little bit low anyway if you don't have a heavy cushion for him. Get a decent foam pullow and let him sit on it with the box under his feet.

Don't dispair! Your little man would not be a challenge in the grand scheme of things. I used to do music therapy including private lessons for children with every kind of processing disorder, significant impairments, and the like. One of my favorite punkins was a young man of 9 years age and IQ beyond the measuring of local psychologists such that his extrapolated IQ was estimated at 193. He was a wiggler extraordinaire and many times played standing up. His mom and I threw a mini-party when he went four measures without getting up or turning around, or...you get the picture. When he managed 8 measures, I took him to a concert at the DSO...youth concert...we set in the balcony behind everyone else, used my opera glasses, and had a blast while he stood for a good portion of the performance. When he made 16 measures, we gave him a standing ovation at the annual piano recital and if you knew this kid, you'd know it was a well-earned, hard-earned, sweat it out, utilizing every ounce of self-control standing ovation.

Capers....okay, I need ideas on how to use them creatively since we should probably get them used up.. I don't think they are particularly fresh, though certainly not bad...in a brine.

Our bench is pretty sad, sorry to say. Not ugly, but built more like an old doweled chair than anything else, and not with the worlds greatest pad either. Not adjustable, LOL.

The piano teacher has a luxurious tufted leather bench, not adjustable—but nice.

I went looking at new ones at one point and had sticker shock. It is something I really should try and rectify. Sitting is harder than playing.

Ray Charles gives me hope :D

Bill

Yep. They do wonders for tuna salad and of course, smoked salmon and cream cheese are not complete without capers. They are nice on scrambled eggs too.

We like them on scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and little dollops of cream cheese. It sounds weird but it's good. I buy a big package of smoked salmon from Costco and use half on bagels with cream cheese, capers, and tomato and then use the other half on scrambled eggs the next day.