Menu

WWYD- Moved and old superintendent still wants information

I talk to the trees

Update in post #39! All's well that ends well!

Situation: We moved from NY state to VA in mid-July. When I turned in my last report to the NY superintendent's secretary, I told her that I was not submitting my letter of intent because we were moving in two weeks. The secretary then demanded a letter stating my new address and contact information, and all of the information about the school district where we would be residing, so that she "could make sure that [we] are still homeschooling." I remained calm (though I wanted to get snarky), and told her that since I didn't want to do anything that would cause trouble for any other homeschoolers, I would contact the VA authorities, and if they felt the need, they could contact her.

I have followed VA law to the letter. I even turned in all of my paperwork a week early. But yesterday, I received a forwarded (by the USPS) letter stating that I had not turned in my letter of intent, and that my IHIP should have been turned in by August 15th.

Under normal circumstances, I would ignore the request for information, since NY law does not require that you notify the district if you move. However, I know that the family that purchased our home does have school age children, and would hate for them to get a visit from authorities because the superintendent was trying to hunt us down. OTOH, I do not want to set a precedent making more busywork for future homeschoolers moving out of NY. Moving is chaotic enough as it is!  And if I am following the law in the state where I live, it's none of her business where we have moved. And to be honest, it really ruffles my feathers that the secretary asked for information far beyond that which is required by the state.

Part of me wants to call from an anonymous cell phone and say, "Check the records! Our house sold on July 15th, and my dh quit his job on the same day!" (He is an employee of the state, so his records are public.) But part of me feels sorry for the new homeowners, and doesn't want to cause them trouble just because they are at our old address. And I also don't want Mrs. Nastypants (can you tell I don't care for the super?) to start some sort of CPS file on us because we failed to answer her (illegal) requests for information.

WWYD?

I would reply with a letter that said, "We have moved out of state and are no longer under the authority of the state of New York. We are no longer homeschooling in New York and therefore will not be submitting any further information. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter." Sign with your name. Leave off your contact information. 

If I did anything I would send a letter telling them you no longer reside in their district and you will consider future demands to be harassment.

This, but if you have a lawyer friend in NY, have him do it for you on his letterhead, with his return address. If you feel sorry for the new family in your home, see that they receive a copy of this letter to show to anyone that pesters them.

FWIW, whenever we've had a state to state move, the last thing I've done - literally on the way out of town - is to drop a letter in the mail to the state department of education saying we were moving out of state. I always got a proof of mailing and never included any information on the future location.

What a pain, sorry this is troubling you.

I'd probably trash it or send a final letter. In it, I would mention the date of your previous conversation informing the district you were moving and the name of the woman you informed. I would reiterate that you have moved out of state, New York's homeschooling regulations and deadlines do not apply, and you will not provide any additional information.

I would reply with a letter that said, "We have moved out of state and are no longer under the authority of the state of New York. We are no longer homeschooling in New York and therefore will not be submitting any further information. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter." Sign with your name. Leave off your contact information. 

and no return address on the envelope.

And if I am following the law in the state where I live, it's none of her business where we have moved.

That you are following the law in the state where you now live is irrelevant. The instant you were no longer a resident of NY, it ceased to be NY's business.

I'd laugh with DH about it and throw it away.

That's probably the best decision, but my desire to have the last word would probably get the better of me. ;)

I wouldn't worry about the new owners at all. If they have kids, they've likely already registered them for school anyway. Even on the rare chance they did send someone to the door, a simple, "they no longer live here" would be the end of it.

I would just give them the information they're requesting. Then I'd consider it a done deal. 99% of the time, it's just administrative red tape. It has nothing to do with your personal decisions, so don't make it personal. They most likely need proof for their state reporting. 

Having dealt with overzealous do-gooders who were attempting to "make sure everything was OK" I have to respectfully disagree. I went through a different situation and it is only because I did not give them the information that they sought that was outside what they could ask for legally that I did not end up in a huge legal battle with the state department of education and social services. Another family in my state did not know better and ended up in a huge legal battle. Is it legal? No. Is it right? No. Did that change the behavior of an overzealous administrator? Nope. Did it prevent harm to the children involved? No.

But I hear you. I used to think it wasn't a big deal. Now, I keep copies of all relevant laws and even a copy of the handbook for social workers with the part pertaining to homeschoolers highlighted right near my door. Thankfully, I have never had another issue but I prefer to error on the side of caution.

I would just give them the information they're requesting. Then I'd consider it a done deal. 99% of the time, it's just administrative red tape. It has nothing to do with your personal decisions, so don't make it personal. They most likely need proof for their state reporting. 

No, they don't. They may *want* proof, but they don't *need* it and have no legal right to ask for it. The family doesn't live in the state any longer, and they have no authority to check up on the OP in her new state—much less verify anything with the new school district.

No, they don't. They may *want* proof, but they don't *need* it and have no legal right to ask for it. The family doesn't live in the state any longer, and they have no authority to check up on the OP in her new state—much less verify anything with the new school district.

This.

All they are doing is making sure your students don't contribute to their drop out statistics.

Children who move are counted as drop-outs everywhere. Tough cookies.

Since you already informed them before you moved, I wouldn't respond to the letter. 

To me, verbally informing the secretary in a casual conversation is not the same. We've moved a lot. Most states require some sort of formal close-out process. Therefore, sending a letter saying that you've moved and are no longer in NY would not be a big deal or outside the bounds of most state laws.

Oh heck no. They don't need that information for their "state reporting." Besides, the OP has told them that she is no longer living in NY. That's all they need to know.

Oh heck no. They don't need that information for their "state reporting." Besides, the OP has told them that she is no longer living in NY. That's all they need to know.

:iagree:

Also, I wouldn't assume any ill intent on the part of the superintendent. I'm sure the letter was just a standard form letter that the district sends out on a certain date every year as a reminder to all of the families who haven't submitted their letters of intent. The computer probably spit out the names and the letters were printed and mailed; the superintendent may never have even seen them before they went out, and even if she signed each letter, she probably never even glanced at the names of the recipients.

We are a military family and when we moved from Virginia, they hounded us with letters and then they kept calling my cell phone (the only number I had ever given them).  Each time I told them they should feel free to contact my new state for verification, but I absolutely refused to give them my new address.  They eventually stopped sending letters and calling.

I received letters for awhile from PA. One was a receipt stating they had received my portfolio for the 2012-2013 school year (we were not in PA during that school year, nor did I turn in portfolios for that school year to them). By the way, we have moved to two different states since leaving PA.

I received letters for awhile from PA. One was a receipt stating they had received my portfolio for the 2012-2013 school year (we were not in PA during that school year, nor did I turn in portfolios for that school year to them). By the way, we have moved to two different states since leaving PA.

Wow. And they're still contacting you? :eek:

They must really miss you guys. ;)

Clearly, their feelings are hurt. Maybe you should send them some cookies or something so they'll know the move wasn't about anything they did wrong. :D

We are a military family and when we moved from Virginia, they hounded us with letters and then they kept calling my cell phone (the only number I had ever given them). Each time I told them they should feel free to contact my new state for verification, but I absolutely refused to give them my new address. They eventually stopped sending letters and calling.

Yikes! That's just plain creepy!!!

No, they don't. She did what needed to be done and that secretary was clearly overstepping her bounds. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER for them to "make sure (they're) still homeschooling."

To the OP, just keep your records. But honestly, your move is documented so it's a done deal.  As for the people that bought your house, even if they do get a visit, it will quickly be obvious that the school district 

is in error. LET GO. You've done what you needed to do. Now move on with your life.

Out of courtesy to the new family living at your former home I would go ahead and send a certified letter to the former school indicating that you have moved from the state and are no longer under their jurisdiction.  I might give the family now living at your old address a copy and a note of explanation as well. 

But then again, I might be distracted by actually moving and starting my new school year and totally forget.  I tend to have lots of good intentions that never get past the intentions step. ;)

We are a military family and when we moved from Virginia, they hounded us with letters and then they kept calling my cell phone (the only number I had ever given them).  Each time I told them they should feel free to contact my new state for verification, but I absolutely refused to give them my new address.  They eventually stopped sending letters and calling.

JAG?

I guess I would send them a letter (with no return address) informing them politely that I had moved.  Just because you don't have to do something (by law) doesn't mean you cannot be courteous.  It will possibly save them some work and will make you the bigger person.

I cannot really understand a contentious relationship with the school.

I have a WONDERFUL relationship with my district's homeschool coordinator.  Lovely woman and super helpful-- if I moved I would make sure to take her out to lunch to say goodbye.

Your only legal obligation is to file a New York State Income Tax return, for the portion of 2013 that you lived in New York. You will do that during 2014.   The state will get your current Mailing Address, when they receive your 2013 tax return, but hopefully the folks who are bugging you won't get that data from the tax authorities, and by 2014 they won't remember that you exist.

I guess I would send them a letter (with no return address) informing them politely that I had moved.  Just because you don't have to do something (by law) doesn't mean you cannot be courteous.  It will possibly save them some work and will make you the bigger person.

I cannot really understand a contentious relationship with the school.

I have a WONDERFUL relationship with my district's homeschool coordinator.  Lovely woman and super helpful-- if I moved I would make sure to take her out to lunch to say goodbye.

From the OP: "When I turned in my last report to the NY superintendent's secretary, I told her that I was not submitting my letter of intent because we were moving in two weeks. The secretary then demanded a letter stating my new address and contact information, and all of the information about the school district where we would be residing, so that she "could make sure that [we] are still homeschooling." I remained calm (though I wanted to get snarky), and told her that since I didn't want to do anything that would cause trouble for any other homeschoolers, I would contact the VA authorities, and if they felt the need, they could contact her."

Courtesy has nothing to do with anything. The OP informed someone in a face-to-face conversation that she was moving. The secretary's demands were completely out of line.

As far as we know, the OP did not have a "contentious relationship with the school." All we know is that the secretary demanded things which are not required by law and which have nothing to do with courtesy; I would suspect that she does not have good relationships with any of the homeschoolers she may come into contact with.

And it is *always* about not providing more information than is required by law. *Always.* There are numerous instances of homeschoolers providing more than is required by law and that over-compliance coming back to bite homeschoolers. The OP did the "courteous" thing by informing TPTB that she is no longer living in NY. Nothing else is required, nothing.

HSLDA should be able to manage this. Are you a member?

I think you're really jumping the gun here. There is nothing to "manage."

The OP received a form letter that was forwarded to her from her old address, reminding her that she hadn't yet submitted her letter of intent to homeschool.

They didn't harass her. They didn't follow her to her new home and demand information.

I strongly suspect that she was sent the letter as a matter of course, along with all of the other form letters mailed to the rest of the homeschoolers in her district who hadn't submitted their letters yet. I sincerely doubt that the superintendent was targeting her directly.

Realistically, the letter could be viewed as a helpful reminder to send in the letters of intent, so the homeschoolers wouldn't have any non-compliance issues with the district.

Let's not turn this into a conspiracy or a legal issue.

I am a military homeschooler and have moved many times.  In most states that had registered, I just sent  a letter stating we are moving out of the state and will no longer be homeschooling in ___________ County.   I did this in NM, Fl, and VA and had no issues.  I think when we first registered in Oh, the superintendent sent a letter the following June that was forwarded to us in CA.  We just sent a letter that we had moved to CA in Nov of the previous year and were no longer under Ohio law. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I have not been on very much lately, but I have a moment, and thought I would post a quick update, since things worked out just fine.

First, thank you to everyone who replied. I appreciate seeing viewpoints other than my own "OMG! Will this woman never leave me alone?" view of the situation. In the end I chose option D) None of the above/Call a friend. I was going to send a little note with a reminder that we had moved, but then got a call from a homeschooling friend who wanted to check on me. So I asked her to remind them of our move when she went to turn in one of her reports. Ta-dah! Problem solved!

So! They all lived happily ever after! :001_smile: Sort of. As it turns out, we may be moving back to (a different county in) NY after all. *sigh* At least this one isn't in lake effect land, though!

To me, verbally informing the secretary in a casual conversation is not the same. We've moved a lot. Most states require some sort of formal close-out process. Therefore, sending a letter saying that you've moved and are no longer in NY would not be a big deal or outside the bounds of most state laws.

I agree. Just as a letter of intent must be in writing (in my state) so too should a closing of the homeschool program be written. My state explicitly requires this. Do other states not require the same?

Certainly there is no obligation to give the information the secretary was demanding (unless state law requires it) but a simple letter along the lines Mrs. Mungo suggested above would be appropriate.