Menu

Instead of what material you are using next year, share what you hope your child will learn

I see a lot of people listing a lot of material to be used in the next school year.  I think in terms of knowledge.  It helps me to focus and evaluate if I am achieving those goals.  Can you list what you plan for your children to learn?

Here are my academic plans for next year:

Third grade:

• Stories and legends from Ancient History along with stories and legends from Native American tribes in our region.  
  • Double digit addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.  Measurement including historical units of measure and time.
  • Grammar include parts of speech and punctuation.  Cursive writing.  Sentence construction. Poetry recitation along with passages from a Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, and Romeo and Juliet. Practice silent and oral reading.  Learn to spell words encountered in reading.  
  • Study history of human shelters, farming, and clothing along with practical experience in farming, building, and sewing.
  • Learn watercolor painting and modeling in clay.
  • Crochet pot holders and other useful items. 
  • Visit a llama farm and learn about caring for the animals, getting wool, cleaning, carding, dyeing and spinning it.
  • Learn Spanish vocabulary and phrases and work on basic conversational skills.
  • Learn to create healthy soil, save and propagate seeds, plant, nurture and harvest foods.
  • Learn about traditional Native American foods from our area along with how the food was grown, harvested, preserved and prepared.

How's that for Third grade? I tried to keep names of material out of the list and tried to focus on what the object of the learning is instead of what curriculum is used.

Share yours?

I will be officially homeschooling math (geometry) and art (weird, I know) and I will be afterschooling writing, history, literature, and science.  (I have no idea why I'm sending my kid to school...)

Anyway, here are my goals:

Math:  I'm hoping that my son's enthusiasm for math is rekindled after being extinguished by the school last year.

Art:  My plan is to systematically teach him how to draw 3d objects as well as how to use color both realistically and creatively.

Writing:  The school doesn't teach writing, so I'm hoping that I can somehow use their assignments (assuming that they give any) to do that teaching myself.  I'm hoping that my son will become more confident with writing research papers.  But if they don't assign research papers, I'll have to rethink my plan.

History:  The school doesn't teach history systematically and this next year they don't teach history at all.  So we'll continue reading about history in a relaxed on the couch sort of way.  I'd like to finish our second pass through world history over the next year.  I'm going for broad, coherent exposure.

Literature:  The school doesn't assign challenging reading, so my plan is to assign it myself.  I may even decide to do some work with literary elements and short stories.  And I'll keep reading classic literature aloud.

Science:  Similar to history, relaxed and on the couch--I want to continue to give him a broad base in science as the school tends to go narrow and shallow.

Great idea, Karen!

An overall plan for sixth grade:

• enhance math problem solving skills; try to overcome reluctance to work on speed-based math (not a priority but he is SO averse to timed math that I see it possibly holding him back in the future...and he wants to be a mathematician so not sure how high to rank timed math in my list of goals but I think he should at least be a little less reluctant)
  • more real-life physics applications...continue to improve rocket design and consider other building projects that will also utilize real-life physics e.g. raft or boat building
  • continue self-driven blogging and creative writing endeavors; improve note-taking/ outlining skills and start a research paper or two
  • keep working on German conversations at home, and hopefully, translate a few simple stories/ movies if we can find good ones
  • immerse self in world history (our focus will be ancients-1500), other Tolkien works, Shakespeare, Poe and possibly Dickens too -- this will be unstructured, fun, no-pressure
  • improve lab skills -- e.g. microscope, chemistry and possibly a dissection or two -- also unstructured
  • improve physical stamina; build more muscle!
  • increase jazz and classical repertoire, listening carefully to how you play
  • come up with a marketable idea

6th Grade

• Learn algebraic expressions, solid figures, ratio, percentage, speed, fractions, order of operations, radius and diameter, circumference, area, pie charts, volume, triangles and four sided figures, finding unknown angles and more challenging word problems.

• Learn the fundamentals of logic, argumentation, and critical reading.

• Continue studying Latin grammar and vocabulary through fifth declension nouns. Continue learning and reviewing Spanish vocabulary and practicing Spanish translations.

• Continue with narration and dictation, complete one-level outlines, practice developing well-written sentences and paragraphs, write about literature and poetry, learn to properly document sources, all leading to eventually writing his own compositions. Review grammar and practice sentence diagramming, learn the rules of spelling, and maintain a commonplace book.

• Study the history of the dark ages through the French Revolution. Art, music, literature, and worldview studies all relate back to history.

• Study origins beginning with a study of astronomy and space to learn the origin of the universe, galaxy, solar system, planets, etc., then continuing with a study of earth science and plate tectonics to understand the origin of land masses, the division of the continents, water cycles, ocean tides, volcanoes, earthquakes, erosion, etc., then culminating with a study of the origin of life and evolution.

• Learn to develop and present an expository speech. Memorize and recite 5-6 poems, orations, dramatic pieces, or excerpts of famous documents.

• Continue practicing singing and playing the recorder. Learn to read music notation.

• Learn basic study skills including keeping track of assignments, note-taking, and outlining. Learn to use the library catalog and Dewey Decimal System. Learn to type. Continue learning computer programming.

• Continue daily physical activity and learning healthy living practices.

3rd Grade

• Learn numbers to 10,000, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, money, mental calculation, length, weight, capacity, bar graphs, fractions, time, angles, area, and perimeter.

• Study Latin vocabulary and grammar through the first declension and first conjugation.

• Study grammar with diagramming, practice narration and dictation, learn to write letters, and learn to use a dictionary. Learn spelling rules and cursive handwriting.

• Study the history of the dark ages through the French Revolution. Art, music, literature, and worldview studies all relate back to history.

• Study origins beginning with a study of astronomy and space to learn the origin of the universe, galaxy, solar system, planets, etc., then continuing with a study of earth science and plate tectonics to understand the origin of land masses, the division of the continents, water cycles, ocean tides, volcanoes, earthquakes, erosion, etc., then culminating with a study of the origin of life and evolution.

• Memorize several poems.

• Continue practicing singing and playing the recorder. Learn to read music notation.

• Improve speech articulation through daily practice.

• Continue daily physical activity and learning healthy living practices.

I have one daughter, we'll be doing preschool.

Fine Motor/Handwriting: develop fine motor skills in preparation for writing. If she is ready, I would like her to learn ow to form her letters this year.

Math: solid grasp of numbers to 100, place value, skip counting, place value, telling time, counting money

Reading: continue reading BOB books and be able to progress to easy readers. Continue to enjoy reading and being read to. Perhaps add in more chapter book read-alouds so that we can work on comprehension of long stories.

Science: continue to learn about her world. Learn about how to set up a basic experiment and narrate the results.

This girl has wanted to "do school" ever since she knew such a thing existed. I recently let slip to her that some of the things we already do (play with the abacus, reading Bob Books, etc) were things many people would consider "doing school". My main goal is to keep the school stuff engaging enough that she continues to think of it as an extension of her play and is super excited to "do school".

I hope one son will gain some confidence and lose his insecurity surrounding the loss of his family, who he fears will one day leave him alone and scared as he once was left alone and scared.

I hope one son, at 14 years old, will gain another year or so in reading skills and fluency, and be able to recall his phone number accurately every time, as well as the months of the year.

I hope one son will find an area of great success with AutoCAD and be able to push past the nagging feeling that he is not "good enough" despite testing as gifted, because his Dysgraphia makes him look in writing as if he is not at all intelligent.

I hope one daughter will find her true self, not need to give in to others to make them like her.

I hope one daughter will discover she is safe enough now to let herself grow into teen years, and not feel threatened that her past 3 years of being in a family are at risk if she decides she wants to grow up just a little more.

Oh yea, and I guess I hope we learn a little math, science and grammar along the way.

I hope for a lot:

• how to format his paper correctly
  • the importance of showing his work in math
  • how to write an essay well
  • better time management skills
  • the importance of writing things down so you don't forget them
  • whether he's up for the challenge of two math classes in one year
  • how to read Japanese better, memorize all hiragana and katakana. Work on conversational skills
  • continue to expand his passions, right now it's rockets and the space programs
  • how to work even if I'm not home
  • more ownership of his education (he's getting there)
  • how to work through the fact his father isn't around on a daily basis
  • learn to drive - he has no desire, I at least want to start the basics this year
  • pinpoint a few colleges to check out over next summer or the beginning of 11th
  • evaluate whether he could handle dual enrollment in 11th
  • how to operate our telescope (entry level) and find stars and planets
  • read and finish Moby Dick - his wish
  • learn to study well

Great thread...IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really sluggish on planning this year. Thinking in terms of really broad goals with a few specifics thrown in.

5th grader:

*Better time management and more independent work

*Fundamentals of punctuation

*To quickly recognize words heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s misspelled, even if he needs to look up the correct spelling.

*To more smoothly express himself both verbally and on paper. 

*To cook

*To do his own laundry

2nd grader:

*To really enjoy reading for pleasure 

*For him to realize despite what he thinks heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not bad at math but is pretty good at it

*To write in cursive

Preschooler

*Reading

*Some chores/responsibilities to counteract the princess/youngest thing she has going on right now

This will be our first year HSing...I hope my 8yo will:

-regain her love for learning (actually, this summer (since she was told we would be leaving PS for HSing next year) she has begun showing that spark again)

-gain confidence in her math skills

-learn how to explain her math reasoning (she can tell you that 8x5 is 40, and that if you take 5 from that you have 35, but ask her to explain it and she immediately shuts down with "this is too hard")

-improve her writing skills (both the appearance of and organization of)

-learn not to worry about the right answer or the product...learn to focus on the process instead (all across the board for this one)

-learn to utilize resources more independently  

-learn to self monitor more (ie, keep herself on task, do things w/o being reminded by me, etc.

Hmm....love the topic...definitely has me thinking....

I have a 1st grader (girl) and 3rd grader (boy)

1st grader -

Needs to adjust to doing school and not playing all day :)

Working on being kind and joyful to others, especially with her having introverted tendencies (which I totally *get*, lol)

Develop strong reading skills and enjoy books, which she does, but I want to continue fostering that

Book work - just get through the books I've picked out (or close); math, grammar, spelling

3rd grader -

Develop some independence!!!

Work on the dawdling - help him to see that he could be done with his work so much faster!

To focus on what he is reading and I'd love to see him really *get into* a book he is reading

Get better with math word problems; memorize math facts - multiplication & division

Learn to tie his shoes and ride a two wheeled bike

Book work - get through the math, grammar, and spelling that I've picked out for him

Together -

Gain a solid overview of American history

Enjoy science books and do lots of fun experiments

Art - get through the lesson plans daily - continue this all together (ds, dd, and mom) and continue encouraging one another with positive comments on each person's work everyday.

Continue to grow solid relationships with one another within our family

Listen to more audio books

I see a lot of people listing a lot of material to be used in the next school year.  I think in terms of knowledge.  It helps me to focus and evaluate if I am achieving those goals.  Can you list what you plan for your children to learn?

Third grade:

• Stories and legends from Ancient History along with stories and legends from Native American tribes in our region.  
  • Double digit addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.  Measurement including historical units of measure and time.
  • Grammar include parts of speech and punctuation.  Cursive writing.  Sentence construction. Poetry recitation along with passages from a Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, and Romeo and Juliet. Practice silent and oral reading.  Learn to spell words encountered in reading.  
  • Study history of human shelters, farming, and clothing along with practical experience in farming, building, and sewing.
  • Visit a llama farm and learn about caring for the animals, getting wool, cleaning, carding, dyeing and spinning it.
  • Learn to create healthy soil, save and propagate seeds, plant, nurture and harvest foods.
  • Learn about traditional Native American foods from our area along with how the food was grown, harvested, preserved and prepared.

How's that for Third grade? I tried to keep names of material out of the list and tried to focus on what the object of the learning is instead of what curriculum is used.

Share yours?

I love your third grade plan!

I'm sure I'm missing some, but here are the big goals for me:

6th grader:

--division and fractions 

--get comfortable with writing

--learn to cook a few meals on her own (even if it's just grilled cheese or PB&J)

--be more independent with her studies

--be more helpful around the house

3rd grader:

--subtraction with regrouping, multiple digit multiplication

--cursive handwriting

--work on spelling

--learn to cook a couple meals 

--work on being a better listener

--help more around the house

1st grader:

--work on reading 

--basic addition/subtraction

--help more around the house

preK:

--letters and letter sounds

--work on listening and obeying

Famiy:

--Ancient history, with a focus on Biblical history

--exploring the natural world around us, I want to focus on "practical science" or what is right outside our door...local plants, insects, birds, constellations, etc.  We'll also be doing lots of nature study and experiments.

--Lewis Carroll poetry study, in addition to regular poetry appreciation

--composer studies

--picture studies

--read through Chronicles of Narnia

--cooking and cleaning lessons, food safety, getting comfortable in the kitchen, and how to correctly clean different areas of the house and do laundry

--continue with Latin

--character study will include: obedience, cleanliness, prayer, attention, courage...and I think I'm missing one more  :lol:

Fifth grader:

Refine cursive writing and become familiar with typing

Continue to advance in math, including algebra

Time management!!!!!

Become a better writer

Explore literature and mythology at a deeper level

Score well in 1 or 2 level 4 meets and finish competition season at level 5

Third grader:

Learn cursive, hopefully refine print

Solidify multiplication tables, begin simple division and other appropriate math topics

Become a better writer without being completely frustrated

Get through CLE Reading 3 with a minimum of whining

Both 

Learn about ancient history from Creation to the Greeks

Explore different science topics  including pyramids, Archimedes, chemistry, geology, and brain anatomy

Refine and expand knowledge of grammar

Increase vocabulary via study of Greek roots

Learn important Old Testament history

Continue Latin education

Explore ancient art

Learn about the lives and music of three major composers

Okay, my brain just stopped working.  I'm sure I'm forgetting things!

3rd grader

practice reading more carefully, regular reading times

Healthier habits in exercise and eating

Dealing with anger better

1st/2nd grader get reading well or at least better!!!!!!!, more official lessons

Less whining, being more patient/flexible

Pker stay dry through the night, compassion for others

older 2 continue on in math, writing, narration/dictation, grammar, cursive and spelling at their levels

All. Introduction to US history and basic world geography

Become familiar with local flora and fauna

Picking up after themselves, thinking of others, listening to mommy

Maybe-piano with daddy, drawing

Me

Provide a more stable routine-rest times, meals, reading, chores

Try to enjoy my kids more

What an interesting post idea!

My DS6.5:

- Whatever the S and S for SM2 is, lol. 

- Continue to improve CM style (long) narration, plus begin to pick out the "main idea" or summary of a passage

- Continue to improve handwriting

- Learn all parts of speech, and begin diagramming simple sentences without clauses

- French: grammar, conjugation of first few gorups of verbs

- Improve spelling as far as we can get- I would like to be able to move into the spelling dictation book by SCM in a year

- For LA, I basically would like to be able to try out MCT next year, so we'll be getting things in order for that. 

- Enjoy Midieval history and learn a bit

- Enjoy our Earth science lessons and learn a bit

- Become proficient at using an online based German program independantly

- READ FOR FUN!  His level is already fine.

3rd grade:

Math

- increase speed and accuracy in computation

- cover new concepts as they arise

- show work without argument

Language Arts

- continue diagraming

- develop writing skills

- read for fun

- move forward with study of spelling rules

Latin

- understand how Latin influenced our language

Kindergartener

- read independently

- count to 20+

- master addition facts under 10

- write all letters and numbers from memory

Together

- state history

- science - study of biomes, climates, plant and animal life, be able to id the plants, etc when seen in the wild

- overview of important American history moments.

- history year 3

DD is in 5th and will likely start PS next year in 6th. Our goals:

Get her up to speed in math without making her hate it even more

Basic typing proficiency

A grasp of the breadth of human experience across the world

Improve her cursive so that she can read it

Get her to delve deeply into some children's literature

Improve her spelling and writing proficiency

Solidify her grammar and expand her vocabulary, as well as lay foundation for future language learning with Latin.

Give her plenty of opportunities to develop her art skills.

I hope they all learn some functional Khmer, to be friendly (less socially awkward) and to love their neighbors (including one another). Additionally, I hope oldest DS learns to touch type and that my next two learn to read fluently and that my youngest learns to dress himself.

Surviving our first year living abroad is my primary concern so my goals and expectations beyond that are quite limited this year. I am sure that what they do learn will far exceed my meager list - I just hope it includes my list. :)

For my son:

Math - I hope he will become prepared for algebra and build his confidence in math.  I hope to find a way to overcome his writing difficulties, which are such a roadblock to him in this area.

Writing - I want him to enjoy writing and develop the competence to write a paragraph with ease and to edit his own work.  I want him to become proficient at multi-level outlines.

Reading - I am really going to be challenging him with much higher reading material this year.  I hope it is not too much for him and that he is able to start to think beyond the facts.

Spanish - Continue to work on conversational skills while working through SYRWTLS and Pimsleur 1

Science - He's taking his first outside science class and he'll also be using a text for the first time.  I want him to be able to take notes, learn to study for a test and get excited about science.

For my daughter:

Math - Enjoy the subject because she is strong in it.  Complete Saxon 8/7 and then use TabletClass over the summer. 

Writing - Continue to enjoy writing as she steps up to 5-paragraph essays.

Reading - Again, a big jump in reading material is going to be taking place because of a class my kids are taking.  My main desire is that my dd enjoys the class because I know she will do well with it.  She wants to take the class, but the material is not what I would have chosen.

Spanish/Latin - Complete Spanish 2 and 2nd part of Latin 1 with competence.  Her interest level has been very high in this area.  I would like to see her begin watching movies in Spanish by the end of the year and find more opportunities for her to speak the language.  A Spanish club would be great.

Science -  I guess it's all the same with this kid.  She's capable of whatever she wants to do, so I just want to help her enjoy it rather than have it be a chore.  She'll read her Horrible Science books, watch science documentaries and I want to add in some hands on projects for her from some of the WinterPromise conservation science program.

Other goals I have for both of my kids is to find more time for fun and friends. I'd also like for us to have more fun as a family.  Another goal is to cook with them once a week and to watch documentaries on the horrors of fast food as well as others on good nutrition.

My educational goals for my dc this year:

Ds 4th grade:

Math: Complete LoF elementary series and start the intermediate series

Language Arts: memorize a new poem each month, read all lit books on the list, participate in good discussion, write quality summaries, learn how to write a book report, identify misspelled words, and learn how to edit his work.

History: delve deeper into areas of interest using bios, historical fiction, non-fiction, and documentaries. Be able to participate in great discussion and write quality summaries about what he learned.

Science: delve deeper into areas of interest using NF books, documentaries, science kits. Output by journaling with pictures/diagrams/labels. Lots of experiments.

Music: continue to advance in piano.

Art: continue with creative writing, pottery, etc.

Ds K/1st Hybrid

Continue to advance in reading/phonics

Continue to practice writing through Copywork

Learn about the world through cultural Fairytales

Continue to enjoy exploring math and playing math games

Delve a bit deeper into science through nature stories and related science kits/experiments

Music: continue to advance in piano

Art: make time for modeling/watercoloring

I love this thread! This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps me spending (too much!) time on the boards.

For my 6th grader

• Math:  along with solidifying all basic math skills and preparing for Algebra, what I really want for her this year is to embrace the process of grappling with hard problems.  It's really a change in mindset I'm looking for, rather than a big increase in math skills.  I want her to learn to see hard problems as interesting challenges, rather than opportunities for failure or "looking dumb"  This has been something we've worked on gradually over the past two years, but it will be my primary focus in math for her this year.  To this end, I need to plan to give her fewer, more challenging problems, and to make sure she has the time to work on them without feeling *my* impatience.  This will require as much of an attitude adjustment from me as from her!!  :glare:
  • Writing: I want her to solidify her research and report-writing skills, continue to learn to write about literature, and to learn to see the revision process as a positive part of the writing process, rather than as personal criticism!  I also want her to work on varying the style of her sentences, and using some of her great vocabulary to choose stronger nouns and verbs in her writing.
  • Reading-to-learn: this is a huge goal for the year.  We'll be making a big shift away from me reading aloud and us having a discussion right then and there, to her going off and reading and taking notes, and then coming back to me for discussion.  So reading to actually figure out what the main points are, rather than reading just to say it's done!  This will include notetaking/outlining and learning to summarize longer chapters/books from notes, so it does cross over with writing
  • Content areas:  In science, develop a familiarity with the basic principles of Newtonian physics and physical science at a conceptual level, understand the history of scientific thought and development during the Enlightenment.  In history, develop an understanding of the major events of the modern age, and understand how society and the individual has changed as a result of modernization, industrialization, globalization, etc.
  • Read some great books and have interesting discussions about them!
  • Solidify typing skills
  • Learn basic spanish
  • develop the ability to critically read advertisements and arguments, and to understand the difference between science, not science, and pseudoscience
  • to get exercise every day!
  • to learn to cook

I'll have to come back and post my 2nd grader's list

Ok, for my 2nd grader, my goals are much more nebulous.  This will be her first year homeschooling, and my first time hsing a 2nd grader, and my experience so far tells me that nothing I have done in the past, or plan to do, will be quite right for this child!  She definitely defines her own space in the family as an individual, and I have to be flexible and figure out how to work with that.

That said, my general goals for her are:

• To get over the need to reflexively disagree/resist whatever I suggest doing! 
  • To learn to self-entertain consistently without asking for screen time
  • To get over anxiety about working faster (ps induced) which will, again, require me to be very, very patient, for real, because she can tell when I'm faking it!
  • To get really comfortable with math facts, addition & subtraction of multi-digit numbers, and place value.  And all the other 2nd grade stuff she needs to learn, but these seem to be the biggies
  • To learn to narrate & summarize
  • To learn phonics well so she can read harder & more interesting books
  • To learn about her world, the people and animals that live in it, where they live, how they live, what they eat
  • To hear many great stories from around the world!

Okay, I think I need to put this into words

DD6th grade:

--Grow in time-management skills and take more ownership of her education.

--Prepare for pre-algebra next year, filling in all the gaps--mastery of mathematical concepts and realize that she really is good at math

--Her spelling, though, is an area of real struggle. So this year we are going to work on mastery of spelling rules, memorizing spelling words, and using them to every day situations

--Learn to outline 2-level outline, summary writing from outlines, develop good sentences, cement grammar and punctuation knowledge, grow in vocabulary knowledge and usage, love to read even more with more comprehension and better pronunciation.

--More than anything in the LA area I want her to learn to love language and to know how to employ it with style and skill.

--Grow in her love for the Lord and His Word. Learn more kindness and develop a servant's heart toward her siblings. Grow in tenderness not just being the fairness police. Accept and recognize authority but stand for what is right at the same time.

--Love science and grow in her understanding of the scientific method and how to apply it.

--Develop foundation for Logic and critical thinking.

--Healthy eating habits and exercise regularly

--Develop fluency in typing

--Improve piano playing and music reading

--Introduction to music history and music styles and instruments

DS3rd Grade--

--Develop responsibility in schoolwork and chores--do it right away with a happy heart without stopping until it is finished!

--Learn to love the Lord more and His Word

--Catch up in math and learn it well

--Develop reading comprehension and critical reading more, learn to love to read not just tolerate it

--Learn grammar and punctuation well, increase vocabulary and improve handwriting quality, learn how to write through narration/dictation exercises cross-curricularly

--Learn basic geographical terminology, locations of countries, etc.

--Continue to feed his love of science and give him all the tools he needs to grow in this area

--learn how to play with a ball and understand/enjoy sports, develop grit and determination and not quit easily.

I hope that 5yods will enjoy the process of learning how to read, whether he is reading street signs and labels at the grocery store or novels by this time next year.

I hope that our self-discipline or lack thereof will improve to where we can enjoy an hour or so of structured studies in addition to several hours a day of read alouds and regular nature study and group activities.

He already loves science, but I'm hoping to see a bit more enthusiasm about history.

Hm...  I like this...

For my youngish fourth graders...

* become more fluent with basic multiplication and division facts

* continue learning multi-digit multiplication

* tackle long division

* continue working on elements of writing, especially voice and constructing sentences and paragraphs

* continue working on improving spelling - by the end of the year, I'd like my poor speller's papers to be about 80-90% correctly spelled (right now I'd give it about a 60-70%)

* learn about World War I and World War II

* read ten books from the required reading list

* start tackling closer reading of shorter pieces (possibly with Junior Great Books short stories)

* learn about the body and all its systems

* write their own self-assessments for the end of each term to be put in their portfolios

I know there's more, but that's it off the top of my head.  I also have a lot of general goals for myself...  Like to get more organized with science so it can flow better (my own style is not meshing with the unevenness of our meeting up with the other family we share science with).  I want to find ways to encourage time for the kids projects, like learning Mindstorms.  I want Mushroom to have the opportunity to audition for local theater with his dad.  And to possibly make a little film festival for BalletBoy to make a movie for since all the ones I found are a bit advanced for his skill level.

nowGoals:

My senior: to have an enjoyable, stress free year. Devote a ton of time to music and Russian and enjoy it! She's worked hard academically and now I would really like her to breathe.

My freshman: He's pushing hard this year with two math courses, biology, and chemistry. I'm hoping he loves it all as much as he thinks he will... I'd like to see him become more grounded in his faith.

My sixth grader: It's going to be a grammar and writing year. I just pretty she really absorbs it. :)

My fifth grader: She has the academic stuff nailed. My goal for her is emotional stability.

My third grader: Academics are a challenge. My goal for him is a little more confidence.

My first grader and K girls: They are academic rock stars. I want to read aloud a lot more this year.

The three year old: She wants phonics. My goal is ONE year without phonics. I'm not sure who will win. :D

The two year old: Potty. 'Nuff said.

Thebaby: Naptime regularity.

My goals aren't nearly as academic this year, lol. But my kids are practically running the show. It's nice to not feel overwhelmed right nite

The three year old: She wants phonics. My goal is ONE year without phonics. I'm not sure who will win. :D

I only have three older kids, but I was telling my sister (who has 6 kids, including a 5yo) that at least I wasn't teaching reading  this year.  Dd3 keeps bringing me her stack of letters and asking me to do "Gracie Blue" school. :001_unsure:

There have been big and sudden changes here. I'm not ready yet to give my list. For anyone else struggling to join this thread, I recommend taking time to write a fresh mission statement and fill out this Waldorf style planner.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzK2LvS6qOY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvzK2LvS6qOY

I like that the waldorf planner starts with writing in holidays and any other schedule breakers. And also has the mom/teacher list any special goals for each student, BEFORE scheduling curriculum. Curricula should help us reach our goals, not become the goals.

I hope he becomes more confident in his reading skills. I really hope he is able to nurture and expand his love of math. I want him to taste a foreign language for the first time and see what it feels like to him. I hope he will learn to love science and the natural world even more than he does now. I hope he learns about how history can fuel our imaginations. He wants to try to write and illustrate his own comic book this year, and I'm hoping I can help him achieve that goal.

I hope my youngest will learn all kinds of things tickle her noggin, and to expand her own resourcefulness in seeking out new knowledge.

Specifically, I want to see her learn hard and fast application of the math concepts she's been gathering. I want her, when presented with a math, to be able to understand that there is a process for finding the solution and which specific process to apply in a given case.

I could list a few more things but I think that's the biggest "hole" I want to see filled in this next season of learning.

This is a refreshing way to look at a year! I'll have to give it some thought before I can post. I bet I can guess some of what you are planning to use next year. Your plan bears a striking resemblance to something I have on my shelves.  :laugh:

Third grade:

Share yours?

Love this thread!

For the 7th grader:

• Rekindle his excitement about math, which kind of died off over the last year
  • Give him good exposure to basic physics, a passion of his, through reading and hands-on
  • Have him be able to write a cohesive and concise basic essay, and to work with outlining
  • Get him to read more for knowledge. It is great that he loves reading, and does so much of it for pleasure, but I would still like to see more reading to learn!
  • Work on his spelling, which is extremely phonetic at this point
For the 5th grader (dyslexic, late reader):
  • Get her reading more or less at grade level, toward which goal she is making good progress
  • Teach her to write a really solid informational paragraph
  • Hopefully, along with goal 1 will come a love of reading. I can hope, can't I?
  • Give her plenty of exposure to animal related science, which is her passion
With both:
  • Exposure to local Native American legends
  • In depth exposure to history topics/era that fascinate them, alongside a general overview of world history (or maybe British history)
  • Plenty of practical skills: sewing basics, cooking and baking, basic carpentry/woodworking, more housework
  • Lots of time for hands on art - I'd like them to explore watercolors, and clay sculpture this year, maybe geometric art as well
  • To be involved in community service this year, at least a little. My dd10 made a start on this already, helping my mom can plum jam for a food bank project
  • I'd like to read a lot of classics, whether or not they line up with any particular time period
  • I'd really love to have all of us keeping nature journals this year, with notes, drawings, bits of seasonal poetry, etc.
  • I'd like as well to share more poetry with them, develop some understanding of music theory, and become more familiar with artists and artistic techniques
  • I'd like to finally get started with Latin studies this year, as well as some philosophy
  • And finally, I'd like both children to develop a better sense of world geography.

2nd grader:

STOP WHINING. ARRRGH. 

Oh, academic goals? Let me think . . .

solidify earlier math, learn long division, finish fractions, learn decimals.

learn to write, at least a paragraph's worth.

finish off on readers and be cut free from daily reading aloud.

improve Hebrew reading fluency

finish learning English monarchs

1st grader:

add and subtract within 100, start division and multiplication

learn to read

learn to read Hebrew

There have been big and sudden changes here. I'm not ready yet to give my list. For anyone else struggling to join this thread, I recommend taking time to write a fresh mission statement and fill out this Waldorf style planner.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzK2LvS6qOY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvzK2LvS6qOY

I like that the waldorf planner starts with writing in holidays and any other schedule breakers. And also has the mom/teacher list any special goals for each student, BEFORE scheduling curriculum. Curricula should help us reach our goals, not become the goals.

Hunter, thank you for posting this link again.  It was linked in an old thread and I found it very helpful this year.  Hopefully others have as well.

5th Grade:

- continue to excell beyond his mother's math skills

- continue to read through the Bible chronologically with Mom, Dad and the 3rd grader

- to understand the grace we have in Jesus and the grace we need to extend to others, especially siblings

- read some great biographies, classics, living science books, and a sprinkle of historical fiction

- listen to history on audio while building with lego (we're beginning with ancients and we'll see how far we get)

- study the human body and world geography with siblings

- read and copy several pieces of poetry

- memorize a Scripture passage or two

- learn how to use a student planner effectively and efficiently

- officially begin Greek (he's eager to start this and has been teaching himself the alphabet)

- improve handwriting - no sloppy work

- continue typing instruction, dictation, grammar, logic, and writing assignments (a steady march forward, please)

- continue to develop a strong body with TaeKwon-Do

- finally read some Canadian history/geography and make a lapbook, if desired

- schedule time for art and composer study

3rd Grade:

- master math facts

- a steady progress in math (this one has his mother's math skills or lack thereof)

- continue to read through the Bible chronologically with Mom, Dad and the 5th grader

- recognize his self-control and anger issues and be willing to work at them

- a desire to move beyond graphic novels and readers (he has the ability)

- master cursive

- study the human body and world geography with siblings

- read and copy several pieces of poetry

- memorize a Scripture passage or two

- listen to history on audio while building with lego (we're beginning with ancients and we'll see how far we get)

- grow in responsibility for self and self's choices

- continue to develop a strong body with TaeKwon-Do

- continue grammar, dictation and writing assignments (marching forward ...)

- begin logic

- schedule time for art and composer study

Kindergarten:

- continue reading lessons

- make homemade "books"

- read some fun poetry, fairy tales, whatever she's interested in

- kindergarten math skills are already mastered so we'll see what else she's ready for

- art, art, and more art

- handwriting and copywork at her speed

- learn about Jesus daily

• Whatever is in the math book, plus not to dawdle over her lesson. 
  • Read critically and think about the story, not just skim the chapter and say "done". 
  • Write an organized, clear paragraph, maybe even a whole story.
  • Enjoy poetry, memorize several poems
  • Take pride in her work and want to do it well, in all aspects of life
  • Spell at grade level

There may be others, but these were the ones that came to mind first. 

Learn 25 history sentences

Learn where all the countries on the map are using Visualize World Geography

Consistently add dates to timeline book

Handwriting without tears

My goal for math this year is to solidify Pre Algebra concepts.

Continue Life of Fred Pre Algebra with Bio and do book 2

Singapore Math 6- finish

Mathematics: A Human Endeavor for math appreciation

Balance Math 2

Balance Math Teaches Algebra

Saxon Algebra 1/2

Key to Algebra-finish

Digital Art

Review The Elements and do Carbon Chemistry

Sassafras Zoology

Continue drawing lessons

Learn to use a microscope

Books to Read: Eagle of the Ninth, Sea of Stories, Private Peaceful, Johnny Tremain, Number the Stars, A Single Shard, Iqbal, Boys Without Names, Smith, Oranges in No Man's Land, Tuck Everlasting, Maniac Magee, Holes

Vocabulary Roots Program

Vocabulary Cartoon of the Day

Run a mile

Ellen Mchenry Cells

Finish Killgallon Sentence Composing to learn to write varied sentences

Finish Science Detective and Math Detective for Logic. This is an effort to comprehend and analyze writing.

SWI-B to learn writing skills systematically. I feel like we have been all over the place with writing.

Making-learn to solder, make brushbots, more practice with snap circuits, LittleBits, MakeyMakey, Arduino, Scratch Programming, Blinkybug Kit

Lego Mindstorms

Human Body Systems

Lyrical Life Science

Topic: child labor and slavery...books: Iqbal. Boys without names, free the children

SOTW 3 with a focus on American History (Zinn and Hakim supplements)

I know this has some curriculum choices, but it's all mixed in with my notes

Younger child

Addition and subtractions flashcards for maani 1-20 memorize

Read book Poppy and do owl puke dissection

Handwriting without tears

Explode the Code 6, 7, 8

Animal Studies

Dreambox

Dragonbox app

Play sum swamp addition, Dino math tracks and other games

Lollipop logic

Study the moon, keep a moon journal for a month

American Heroes

Cubelets

Match 6 magic school bus topics with books and science kits

Life of Fred-4 books

Read Alouds: How to Think Like a Scientist, Owls in the Family, Mr. Poppers Penguins, the Reluctant Dragon, The Littles, Lafcadio, The Iron Giant, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Enormous Egg, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Boxcar Children, The Great Brain, Tumtum and Nutmeg, Toys Go Out, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Memorize How Doth the Little Crocodile by L. Carrol

Walk a mile

Practice math families

For Both

Owl pellet dissection

Continue guitar lessons

Listen to patriotic songs

Dissections

David Hockney Inspired Photo Collages

Continue work on Family Mural

Needle Felt some animals

Learn how to play Settlers of Catan

Science Fair Projects

Make Masks

Quill Van Gogh's Starry Night

Chess

3 (almost 4) year old: learn to read simple books (like dr. Seuss) ; count to 100; identify numbers to twenty; understand simple addition using manipulatives; gain a little more self-control (please!)

6 year old: learn to work diligently at something for twenty minutes at a time; understand that a little bit of hard work each day will get good results and can actually be enjoyable/satisfying; memorize basic addition/subtraction facts; learn to find some enjoyment in reading nonfiction; improve writing skills; become more active/build more muscle/spend more time outside

Those are the most important.