Menu

tell me why I want Amazon prime?

HollyDay

Do you buy much from Amazon?  The free shipping is enough incentive for us.  The instant streaming is nice too, but really it's the shipping.  I love being able to place an order without having to think about a minimum order for free shipping.  But we buy food items, tools, household items... along with books and music.  

Look at your orders from the last year.  How much did you spend on shipping cost?  If it's less than the membership, don't carry on with it when your trial is up.

I buy more from amazon now  (things I was buying anyway).  love the free shipping.  there is a lot of free streaming, which I'm only just starting to use as we don't watch much tv.  (dh must have sports . . . .  if live sports come to the internet or streaming source, it will be the death of cable and satellites.)

you can share the membership for orders with other family members.  My kids are adults, and they use it too.

eta: and the orders come much faster than when doing the $25 minimum purchase.  depending upon where it was shipped from, and when I placed the order, I've received things overnight at no additional charge.  (even when it said 2-day shipping)

We live in a remote area with limited local shopping options available. For us the shipping alone is worth the annual cost, and the streaming and free Kindle book per month are a nice bonus. That wouldn't be the case for those who shop at Amazon only occasionally.

I love it because I don't have to spend $25 to get the free 2 day shipping.   I might just want a book that $3.99 or this or that, and it's here in two days!  Honestly, sometimes it takes me longer than 2 days to fit a store trip into my life (if it's not a grocery store).  And even the free shipping that comes when you spend $25, is not FAST free shipping.  I believe they put you on a low priority list.  I've had things take almost 2 weeks to arrive with the $25 free shipping.....and there's an Amazon distribution center within 30 miles of my house!! (granted, I get my order may not have been coming from that center :).  And I don't have to look for fillers to get me up to the $25.  Sure, it's always easy to spend $25 on Amazon, but sometimes I just don't need or want to...sometimes I JUST want that $3.99 book.   (Course I get Prime at a discounted rate due to DH being in college, so it's completely worth it at that price).

And the holidays, wow, Amazon is my go-to!!   Some years, budget is tight and I might have to wait until that week or two before Christmas to purchase certain things...and no worries about it getting here with Prime!

This is the only grocery item I've ordered from Amazon, but I've ordered it 3 times now I think. Garden of Eatin' mini round tortilla chips. They are cheaper than in the grocery store, and actually in our grocery store I can't get the yellow tortilla chips, only blue! Which are also good, but I like these best as my go-to chip. Dh was a little amused when he came home one day to a large box with 12 bags of chips in our entry way. It had arrived when I was on my way out so I didn't have time to put them away. He thought it a little odd at first, but as he is the one who probably eats them most, he was fully supportive!

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Eatin-Tortilla-Yellow-7-5-Ounce/dp/B000EQX4WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374467605&sr=8-1&keywords=garden+of+eatin%27+tortilla+chips

To reduce guilt.

So that whenever you want a new book (and don't want it electronically), you can tell yourself, "What a deal! I'm saving money because there is no delivery fee. Of course I should buy it!"

And also, for the instant video so that after your kids go to bed, you can lie in bed with your husband asleep beside you and with the help of earphones and an iPad, watch all the reruns you want of British TV shows like Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, London Hospital, Doc Martin and Land Girls.

Well, anyway, that's why I have it. (-:

Guest inoubliable

Meh. We spend more than $25 each time we order from there, so the free shipping isn't an issue. And we live incredibly close to one of the distribution centers. So even the free shipping without Prime gets it here in two days. Friday I ordered a Hoover Floormate. It was delivered Saturday afternoon. 

Or you can check out books and videos at the library.

Honestly, unless you live somewhere where you can't purchase bulk items or a large order of books frequently, I'm not sure. Seems the same items are on Netflix or can be checked out at local libraries. If I lived where I couldn't purchase certain food items from my local whole foods chain store or a local food coop, then I might be interested in Amazon prime.

We did prime on a free trial. Shipping is nice. But I don't find it a necessity. I have items on subscribe and save. Other items I put in my cart until I have $25 worth to get shipping. Then I just select free shipping. I know I wait a few days.

We don't have cable which is why we tried prime. We find the offerings of Netflix and Hulu to be better.

1. Because you enjoy a streamlined credit card statement that only has one vendor on it.

2. Because you like spending ALL your money. Saving is for LOSERS.

3. Because you like getting packages every day.

4. Because you prefer to never leave your house to shop for anything, including toilet paper, binder clips, lysol wipes, sponges, gluten-free crackers, headphones, bread machines, paper towels, grapeseed oil, reinforced 3-ring paper, printer toner, flashlights, toothpaste, shaving cream, raw cacao powder, ticonderoga pencils, ancient Dolciani math books, knitting needles, ipad speakers, Epic Mickey wii, swatch watch..oh, wait those are just the things I bought in the last few months from Amazon...I'm quite sure they carry other items....

5. Because you think driving a car and parking, getting out with the kids, wandering through the aisles and finally locating your overpriced items in a bricks and mortar store is so......1995.

6. Because you don't want your neighbourhood Barnes and Noble to know just how much you enjoy Fifty Shades. Not me, of course. It's SO poorly written.

A world without Amazon Prime is just too tragical (thank you, Anne of GG) to contemplate.

Keep in mind, however, that if you get Prime, you're still not Amazon's BFF.  I am Amazon's BFF.  You all are just Wanna Be's (well maybe not Halcyon).  But you can hang with us occasionally.

One winter we discovered that a snowstorm was going to coincide with a planned social event with a family of 5 kids.  We have a slight hill in our yard, nothing exciting, but we needed more sleds (they were moving to Florida and had gotten rid of their sleds).   Every local store was out.  But not Amazon.  We  had sleds the next day.  We did pay $3.99 for guaranteed overnight shipping but the sleds came in a "pack" of 3.   They were cheaper than any local store had them (when they had them).  

I've had Prime since it started and I swear, Amazon looses money on me between shipping, which we use a lot, and the free streaming. Remember, too, that those of you in college or with college kids, Amazon student prime is $39, though I don't think it allows adding extra people like the regular one. 

I use it like Halcyon.  :thumbup:  LOVE me some Amazon Prime.  Want a sampling from the last few months?

books, books, and more books

steam mop

boxers for the husband

GF snack foods

K-cups

birthday gifts for several family members and friends

swim cap

paper towels and toilet paper

letter trays for organizing construction paper 

yarn

that takes us back to ~beginning of May 

I use it whenever I wait to long to plan/prepare for the materials I need for the following week. I can order on Saturday and everything I need for the next school week arrives Monday in a box. 

You might be way more organized than me though and not depend on 2-day shipping to make up for your procrastination. 

I just looked and we've placed 53 orders in the past 6 months.  We live in a small town and other than Walmart, we have to drive to shop. Amazon Prime is my friend.  

Cat food arriving tomorrow (our old cat likes what he likes and it's no longer available locally and it's actually cheaper from Amazon), and a new charger for my Mac arrives Wednesday.  With gas at $3.79 here, Amazon Prime is worth it for us. 

It's worth every cent.   I've found tons of great things to stream with Instant Videos and the shipping can't be beat.  It's nice to be able to order just one thing and still get free shipping.  Though I don't love the "add on items" thing though.

Let's see, hair BB cream, pencils, LPS, cursive lined paper, books, DVDs, CDs, paper making kit, wireless headphones for the car, stuffed Perry, more pencils (oops), prepaid phone and case, overhead markers and acetate sheets, a trash can for the car, booster seats, thermal laminating pouches, flax seed meal, a Dustbuster, over Christmas I bought pretty much everything needed to make hot cocoa mix.

I have it just for the Instant Video all year round.

For holidays...I LOVE the shipping.  I can sit, read reviews and order all my presents instead of spending countless days looking all over our city trying to find the right items. 

I can find more options on things like cell phone covers, replacement batteries, and hard to find items like my daughters favorite hair bands.

Subscribe and Save items for weird, hard to find purchases.  Or things you don't want to lug from the store.  Or things that are cheaper on Amazon.  Or if your 2 year old has an addiction to Blue's Clues, which is no longer on Netflix but is on Amazon Prime.  

Ok, I admit to using it like Halcyon, too.

Oh, a post upthread reminded me... when your husband can't seem to get a gift for HIS dad's birthday though you've reminded him numerous times that it's HIS dad and you don't know what to get him.... and now it's two days before the day... he can order a nice k-cup sampler to be delivered directly to dad's door.  

Love it, love it. 

That and ordering groceries online through a local store are two of my saving graces.  I could never homeschool and work without them.   I started adding up all of the mileage for errands, and figured that I'd break even within 4-5 months if not sooner.

We order vitamins, cleaning supplies, clothing, books, sporting goods, bulk food items, snacks, and more.

And we enjoy an occasional movie.