Menu

The Illuminati

Liberty

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I finished all the episodes of Jericho in about a week, my paranoia meter is running a little high. One group running the world? No. Wealthy people with more influence than "elected" to have? Sure. Covert groups doing things we don't know about? Probably. The Hellsing Organization going out killing vampires, no, but it's fun to watch. 

I'm considering settling in for all the episodes of XFiles next. I miss the Smoking Man, I miss Fox Mulder...

Well, I finished all the episodes of Jericho in about a week, my paranoia meter is running a little high. One group running the world? No. Wealthy people with more influence than "elected" to have? Sure. Covert groups doing things we don't know about? Probably. The Hellsing Organization going out killing vampires, no, but it's fun to watch. 

I'm considering settling in for all the episodes of XFiles next. I miss the Smoking Man, I miss Fox Mulder...

I have the whole series on DVD. :)

This makes me think of Monsanto and all its immensity and 'power'. I am interested in a well-documented conspiracy theory because it's more fun than just rocking in my chair. Thanks for all these links for further exploration. I'm opening them all in chrome *incognito* windows, though. Never know who's tracking my internet use lol.  :leaving:

I don't believe humans are capable of that amount of sustained organization.    Now if they are aliens, that's might be do-able.        Not.

My thoughts are similar to this.  :)

I worked for the government when I was first out of college for a few months before I found a job in private industry.  I think anyone who believes in some sort of super organized powerful secret government agency needs to spend a few months seeing what our government can do by working there.  NOTHING.  If you see what local government can do with bureaucracy then you can't imagine what kind of paperwork and lines they'd be able to come up with if it was world wide. 

To conspiracy theorists - please go spend the afternoon at the DMV and report back to the power and influence you think the government can pull off.  

To ElegantLion - I think I'll watch a few X-Files episodes this week too.  I'm eagerly awaiting you're next fandom mixed avatar with a bit of "Trust No One" in there.

My thoughts are similar to this. :)

I worked for the government when I was first out of college for a few months before I found a job in private industry. I think anyone who believes in some sort of super organized powerful secret government agency needs to spend a few months seeing what our government can do by working there. NOTHING. If you see what local government can do with bureaucracy then you can't imagine what kind of paperwork and lines they'd be able to come up with if it was world wide.

To conspiracy theorists - please go spend the afternoon at the DMV and report back to the power and influence you think the government can pull off.

To ElegantLion - I think I'll watch a few X-Files episodes this week too. I'm eagerly awaiting you're next fandom mixed avatar with a bit of "Trust No One" in there.

LOL

Secret Society and bureaucracy are on such opposite sides of the spectrum that this post is seriously laugh out loud funny.

As for the rest....

I neither believe, nor disbelieve. Sadly, not much surprises me anymore.

Hey, I just started an X-Files run! I actually never watched them the first time around and I've always wanted to see the show. It is so funny to see the wardrobe and hairstyles! Funnier still that I used to dress just like Scully on a regular basis! But she has the best hair on the show, far and away. Some of those poor side actors, yikes!

I think the real conspiracy to fear is how the fashion industry gets us to buy some of these styles a second time around.

My thoughts are similar to this.  :)

I worked for the government when I was first out of college for a few months before I found a job in private industry.  I think anyone who believes in some sort of super organized powerful secret government agency needs to spend a few months seeing what our government can do by working there.  NOTHING.  If you see what local government can do with bureaucracy then you can't imagine what kind of paperwork and lines they'd be able to come up with if it was world wide. 

To ElegantLion - I think I'll watch a few X-Files episodes this week too.  I'm eagerly awaiting you're next fandom mixed avatar with a bit of "Trust No One" in there.

Hey now, my local DMV (and general government bureacracy) is extremely efficient. I was shocked as I've never seen anything close to the level of organization they have in this state in the places I've lived before. ;)

That being said, I don't believe in the illuminati. I'm sure there are shady dealings, things that go on behind the scenes, and corporations reaping financial benefits off the misfortune of others, however a global worldwide conspiracy seems unlikely. I don't entirely know what people who believe in the illuminati think as it isn't something I've ever spent a significant amount of time looking into.

Hey, I just started an X-Files run! I actually never watched them the first time around and I've always wanted to see the show. It is so funny to see the wardrobe and hairstyles! Funnier still that I used to dress just like Scully on a regular basis! But she has the best hair on the show, far and away. Some of those poor side actors, yikes!

I think the real conspiracy to fear is how the fashion industry gets us to buy some of these styles a second time around.

90's Corporate fashion at it's height was the X-Files.  I always thought the alien episodes on the show weren't as cool as the strange earth monsters they used to have to deal with.  I like my aliens to have an English accent and be 900 years old. 

I also wanted to grow up and be Scully.  Kind of still do actually.  We have friends who have a child named "Fox" and I've mentioned to DH that I'd like a little girl with red hair to name Dana.  He's not on board yet with that plan though. 

In the days of my youth I would agree with you about the DMV. However, in my state DMV employees have been outsourced and the process is fairly efficient.  Especially since I can renew my registration online.  I only need to go in when it is time to renew my license.

Eh, none of that talk bothers me.  :001_rolleyes:  Whatever floats your boat.

But when the conversation turns to ALIENS??? 

Um, yeah... like ancient civilizations were too stoopid to figure out how to build a ziggarault or pyramid and needed aliens for help.  Puh-leeeze.  That is just so insulting.  :cursing:

Eh, none of that talk bothers me.  :001_rolleyes:  Whatever floats your boat.

Um, yeah... like ancient civilizations were too stoopid to figure out how to build a ziggarault or pyramid and needed aliens for help.  Puh-leeeze.  That is just so insulting.  :cursing:

And it's always non-European civilizations. Nobody ever says, "Hey, the Greeks could *never* have done that perspective thing without a bit of alien know-how. Therefore..."

Eh, none of that talk bothers me. :001_rolleyes: Whatever floats your boat.

Um, yeah... like ancient civilizations were too stoopid to figure out how to build a ziggarault or pyramid and needed aliens for help. Puh-leeeze. That is just so insulting. :cursing:

Oh! We put the pointy bit at the top! <ancient Egyptian slaps forehead>

90's Corporate fashion at it's height was the X-Files.  I always thought the alien episodes on the show weren't as cool as the strange earth monsters they used to have to deal with.  I like my aliens to have an English accent and be 900 years old. 

I also wanted to grow up and be Scully.  Kind of still do actually.  We have friends who have a child named "Fox" and I've mentioned to DH that I'd like a little girl with red hair to name Dana.  He's not on board yet with that plan though. 

:thumbup:

Hmmm, someone or group has an agenda...watch the news, chalk up all the similar threads in the headlines. coincidence?....maybe, but over and over , maybe not so much. There is an agenda. It is very obvious. Just see how one sided the media is. Flash it on the screen enough, stir up the people, and get the "right' people to push where it is to be pushed and you will see the masses going with the flow...not really thinking for themselves but regurgitating what they hear. I do believe there is something to it, just not on a global scale.

Hmmm, someone or group has an agenda...watch the news, chalk up all the similar threads in the headlines. coincidence?....maybe, but over and over , maybe not so much. There is an agenda. It is very obvious. Just see how one sided the media is. Flash it on the screen enough, stir up the people, and get the "right' people to push where it is to be pushed and you will see the masses going with the flow...not really thinking for themselves but regurgitating what they hear. I do believe there is something to it, just not on a global scale.

Again, read/watch Manufacturing Consent.

This thread reminds me of that scene in So I Married an Axe Murderer. You know, the one about

. (caution: language)

I've uncharacteristically had three glasses of wine tonight and may be judgement impaired. Here's hoping there's nothing terribly inappropriate that's escaped my mind as I sit down to watch this with my 11yo. :D

In the days of my youth I would agree with you about the DMV. However, in my state DMV employees have been outsourced and the process is fairly efficient.  Especially since I can renew my registration online.  I only need to go in when it is time to renew my license.

Oooh.  You might be on to something there.  Maybe the secret world government has been outsourced to private industry and now they're finally getting all those diabolical plans done. 

:)

I've uncharacteristically had three glasses of wine tonight and may be judgement impaired. Here's hoping there's nothing terribly inappropriate that's escaped my mind as I sit down to watch this with my 11yo. :D

She loved it. :D If it weren't for Vicky, I don't think it would even have earned its PG13 rating. Unless a bare bottom counts.

Thank you for providing me with this handy dandy cheat sheet to who is off their meds and who is still reasonably sane.

This was uncalled for.

I don't believe in this stuff myself but those who do often aren't crazy or insane. Generally they're mistaken, as we can all be from time to time.

If those of us who don't believe in such things are confident in our positions we should be able to discuss the matter reasonably and help people see the errors in their thinking.

If we can't then perhaps our position is less the result of our extreme cleverness and more just dumb luck and we shouldn't be so smug about it.

not a conspiracy but something to divert the public from other issues. You don't think it a bit strange that just about every western country in the world has to address this issue all at once?

I think that countries at similar stages of development tend to address the same issues.  I'm sure that you would find, for example, particular eras when there were waves of legislation worldwide on pollution, vehicle safety standards, etc.

L

not a conspiracy but something to divert the public from other issues. You don't think it a bit strange that just about every western country in the world has to address this issue all at once?

I don't think it's strange at all.  We don't live in a bubble.  What happens in one country socially and politically carries over into other countries and influences discourse around the world.  It has always been this way.  When changes begin to be made in one part of the world, it's pretty typical for activists in other parts of the world to call for similar changes.

Perhaps homeschooling is also a conspiracy theory. Western countries have started to address that in a similar time frame.  :confused1:

You know how organized homeschoolers can be, or not. We can't even get conventions that focus on education instead of "spiritual training" - that sounds more conspiracy theory/agenda than people wanting to get married legally. 

My philosophy is this...it wouldn't matter if there was an illuminati or something similar or NOT. There are a gazillion people on planet earth and all of the governments would have to align themselves in order to get the job done. I've watched my government, it's like herding cats!!! Seriously, feral, cats. The best any of them get along with each other is about as well as a group of middle schoolers in the PE locker room just after a wicked game of dodge ball.

These people can't agree on anything much less a conspiracy and how that should play out.

Nah....they just don't have what it takes to pull it off. If anybody takes over planet earth and runs it exclusively from a central location, dominating it in its entirety, it would have to be aliens. Humans can't play along well enough to get the job done. Really not much we can do about the aliens...maybe just hope we aren't too tasty when they arrive! :D

A lot of 18 year olds believe dumb things.  Marxism is great in theory.  Anything Ayn Rand wrote sounds intelligent at that age.  It's a rite of passage, really, to be so wrong but so convinced you've figured out what all the older folks are too stupid to understand.

In addition to what others said there are also groups that span countries that have been dealing with the issue, like the Church of England, and that can spark discussion and change in many different countries at the same time because of that `s reach.

In addition to what others said there are also groups that span countries that have been dealing with the issue, like the Church of England, and that can spark discussion and change in many different countries at the same time because of that `s reach.

Right. It's not a coincidence, it's the typical pattern for human rights and civil rights issues - there is a domino effect.  Look at the history of the abolishment of slavery, or women's suffrage, for similar historical trajectories.

No, silly. It's the Jews! We rule the world. We're the only ones capable of it (aside from Hive members).

:001_rolleyes:

I remember when it was us Catholics. Now we even have a Jesuit in the Vatican, and we can't convince anyone these days that we're pulling the strings. Sigh.

I think the turning point was when they unwittingly un-excommunicated that Holocaust-denier "bishop," and it came out that nobody in Rome knew enough to look at his Wikipedia page first. Suddenly it was plain to the world that the place is a bureaucracy run by geriatric Italians. Our Illuminatus cred is gone.

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice: Dr King, jr

So, no, I don't think its strange. Maybe it's just where we are in the arc.

And how is this a 'diversion' exactly? People have been fighting for equality for all people for a very long time. It is not a real issue of importance to people? Civil rights are not like Gangam Style. Now that was a diversion!

And if you think the marriage equality movement happened "all at once" you really need to study history. That is like saying the US Civil Rights Act of 1964 'happened all at once'.

I think that countries at similar stages of development tend to address the same issues.  I'm sure that you would find, for example, particular eras when there were waves of legislation worldwide on pollution, vehicle safety standards, etc.

L

Exactly!

I don't think it's strange at all.  We don't live in a bubble.  What happens in one country socially and politically carries over into other countries and influences discourse around the world.  It has always been this way.  When changes begin to be made in one part of the world, it's pretty typical for activists in other parts of the world to call for similar changes.

Yes!

L

... and women's suffrage is another good example of this kind of social progress wave.

This was uncalled for.

I don't believe in this stuff myself but those who do often aren't crazy or insane. Generally they're mistaken, as we can all be from time to time.

If those of us who don't believe in such things are confident in our positions we should be able to discuss the matter reasonably and help people see the errors in their thinking.

If we can't then perhaps our position is less the result of our extreme cleverness and more just dumb luck and we shouldn't be so smug about it.

Oh please.  There is no reasonable way to discuss the unreasonable.  Not all ideas have equal merit or merit debate.  If people buy into extremely fringe conspiracy theories, be it left or right wing, then they need to have a thick enough skin for humor.  I make the same jokes about and to my father (leftwing conspiracy theorist in the extreme) and he see's it as the humor it is, not a lowering of the level of discourse.  Without humor in the face of the offensive and absurd, the world a pretty bleak place.  

I will consider everything but leave the jury out most times. We have so little ability to determine what is true and what isn't.

I tend to think something as long standing and highly organised as the illuminati, isn't real but I definitely think there are rich and influential people/organisations that are pushing, scheming and manipulating as much a they can. The push for a one world government is treated almost nonchalantly among some journalists and politicians, like it is common knowledge, a given and only a matter of time.

I believe the push for the Euro was a step towards it but, lately it seems to be back firing a bit, in that some of the european nations and people want to get out of it. I wouldn't be surprised that the recent world financial difficulties were massaged and encouraged to happen by the elite....again in an effort to push for a one world government and economic system.

I have seen some pretty compelling evidence that 9/11 was orchestrated by powerful American organisations but I haven't really given equal time to the other side of the argument, so I won't bet my life on that theory or anything. I definitely do think thqt many things have arisen out of 9/11 that are advantageous to the elite - particularly their ability to keep surveillance on people.

So yes, I do believe in conspiracy theories BUT I think when listening to people who are into them you always need to keep your thinking hat on and your eyes wide open. Some of them get so deep into it that they see conspiracies everywhere and in everything. Also in this day and age when it is hard for the average layman to figure out fact from fiction on the internet (due to computer technology) we have to approach anything controversial with at least some degree of skepticism.

What I have learnt most of all is that we need to be conscientious voters and we need to watch carefully for policies and procedures in our everyday life which could lead to reduced freedoms.

Actually that reminds me.....when they supposedly caught, killed and disposed of Bin Laden...things just didn't add up. Why did we not see more evidence of it? Why was his body thrown into the sea so quickly? Since when did the American government and military care so much about Bin Laden's spiritual beliefs that they wanted to honour the rites of them so swiftly? Shouldn't there have been some sort of autopsy or some sort of fanfare hailing their success first? Something weird there.....