Menu

What do you do while your kids are doing school?

All of my kids are littles so they still need constant attention (and I can remember being homeschool during my high school years and I could have used a little more watching!). I've found that if I sit with them and knit that I have more patience. I have been trying to do housework while they do school but they would get distracted easily and when they needed questions answered I would feel like they were interrupting my work. This way they stay focused and I'm ready to answer their questions.

My hands are always busy with the kids during school hours. If I'm not nursing the baby, my hands are doing a math demo, pointing to the next problem (get 'er dun!), spelling dictations, holding a cursor for a reading lesson, etc, etc, etc....

I have a spinning chair that sits in the middle of 4 desks (one is for me and my stuff) and the baby's exersaucer. I literally spin in circles all morning long. :lol:

I am actively involved in either teaching or guiding them. My oldest is more independent but the little ones will start to play once I leave the room. That is why I choose not to do school in the kitchen as I will want to prep or clean and they will not concentrate. I think it also helps us all to focus and treat school work like it is important. If I am constantly doing work etc, I don't think they will see it as serious work that demands my attention. When they are older and can do more independent work, then I can leave them for a little while but not now.

It depends. I can usually get my oldest started on an assignment and then let him finish on his own while I do other things nearby (like being on my computer, housework, etc.) My youngest, however, needs me to sit right next to her from start to finish. At her age I wouldn't expect any differently.

I knit sometimes, like when I'm doing Latin with DD or math with one of the big kids; I'll knit a bit while they're working practice problems/translations. Otherwise, I'm generally helping someone -- writing down a narration, helping the preschooler with something, answering a question, or just holding a little one. If everyone's working independently, I'll switch laundry (and next year, we'll be adding nursing/changing diapers to that too). It's not that my big kids aren't independent workers; they are, but it's that I also have/will have several small ones too.

Most of the time I'm teaching right in the middle of both boys. But when they work on some independent things I'll change laundry, load dishes, things like that. But most of the time, if I have time to do anything while they work, I'll actually be getting the next subject ready to teach--putting things up on the whiteboard, making copies, getting things together. I'd like to eliminate that next year, so I'm working on organizing things better for more open and go teaching.

Typically I am sitting at the table with them prompting and guiding and teaching at least one of them. For example, I will take DS through his new math concepts and then set him free to complete the assignment. While he is working on that independently, I will walk DD through her LA lesson. And so it goes for most of the day.

my kids are a tad older. sometimes i can get up and do a thing or two. sometimes i sneak off to my pc to catch up on things. sometimes i sit at the table playing solitaire on my ipad because they will take turns needing me.

Um....hang out at the hive?

My kids still need me right THERE. So I'm sitting next to them at the table most of the time, with the hive open on my computer. A little reading, and a lot of coaching. It works for us, and keeps me sane as I walk my oldest through long division again and again and again. "what do you do next? Right, subtract. Ok. Now, what do you do next? Right."

Is it sad this thread made me laugh!?! I have no time while they are doing their studies. I am either teaching at the whiteboard, assisting one with their assignments, teaching one their AAR or AAS or listening to one read. I literally walk in circles around our table. Only time I get to sit is when one girl is reading her fluency sheets. They like to sit in the floor at the coffee table and highlight each word after they read it. Maybe one day I can accomplish something during schooltime! I'm typically exhausted by the end of it.

I am very hands on with the kids and have found that I cannot leave the area where they are working without things going downhill. I finally learned that I could not even switch out laundry while one of them in particular was doing math or bad things happened. Since I am teaching three of them, I take turns working with one while the other are at free play or doing independent work, but we are generally all out in the living area.

Sudoku mostly.

I can't read anything involved or do anything involved or even play a game that requires my full attention. But I know what you mean. There are a lot of in between, waiting times. I teach sometimes, I guide, I model, but there are a lot of times when I'm waiting for a kid to finish a few math problems or a line of dictation or to do their piano practice or whatever. But I never know when I'm going to be pulled back and need to be ready to check something or reteach something or correct something.

By the way, this thread is making me feel like I should be knitting instead.

I don't know how to knit. My son taught himself from the instructions in a vintage craft book (from the Bookshelf for Boys and Girls series). He's tried to teach me, but without success. I can only handle crochet.

I don't know how to knit. My son taught himself from the instructions in a vintage craft book (from the Bookshelf for Boys and Girls series). He's tried to teach me, but without success. I can only handle crochet.

I've just never learned. But a friend from my writing group just started teaching knitting classes at a yarn store, so maybe I should see if any of them are for beginners.

By the way, this thread is making me feel like I should be knitting instead. That would be so much more productive than endless sudoku!

Well, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who does something to keep their hands busy while they are teaching or during the "waiting times". Since I can knit without looking now I actually can knit and teach, or, as necessary, put my knitting down and use my hands to explain something.

And Sudoku's math logic so that's school too, right :thumbup:

If you want to learn how to knit, try the videos at http://www.knittinghelp.com. I took a class at the local arts center, but those videos helped me a ton too.

I am generally working with one girl or the other, but sometimes I do knit.

KnittingHelp is where I learned to knit. A friend tried to teach me but it was so much easier to watch the videos and replay them as many times as I needed. Knitting is stress relieving and I've just found out I have an overactive adrenal gland (read high stress mama) so it's been a life saver for me the past few months!

If I am merely present and not directly working with one (which I generally am) I am usually cleaning the kitchen (washing dishes, wiping cabinet fronts etc), or cutting/laminating things for future lessons etc. There is generally very little time like that during school time as one of them seems to always need my full attention

As i only have one child and he is 11 (and also very mature), i mostly do kitchen chores or baking or laundry. The laundry area and kitchen are right next to the school room so i'm always very close for any questions. Now and then i will sit with him and knit or read on the kindle :)

Knit, read, work on a Games magazine, pretty much something quiet (this week I start a Corsera course so will work on it while she does her work) but will keep me available if dd needs me. I also like to sit close by so I can catch errors as they are happening or to add some instruction and clarification on a subject. Dd has entered the "I want to do it myself" phase when it comes to school and even though I still do some instruction and discussion, she has moved into more independent work.

When I am not working directly with one of the kids I plan the next week's skills subjects or the next semester's content subjects.

I also play in my iPad, work in the grocery list, or read.

I will have to seriously consider adding hand sewing or crochet to my list.

When I was not actively teaching, meaning that they were doing something independently such as a problem set for math, I would sit across the room and read quietly (or use the laptop to come here, LOL!). That way I was able to make sure people were focusing as well as be available to answer questions.

Guest inoubliable

This is something I am working on. DS8 is pretty independent. DS5 is the same way, really. DS12, though... the one that I keep thinking *should* be more independent, is not. At. All. It's something we struggle with. I'm working on a plan for next year. I need this summer to do a restart. I'm thinking next year, though, that we're going to go with "real" desks somehow. And I'm thinking that I'll be getting a lot more embroidery done because I'm determined to sit near them all, rather than be on the laptop or in a book.

... I've found that if I sit with them and knit that I have more patience. I have been trying to do housework while they do school but they would get distracted easily and when they needed questions answered I would feel like they were interrupting my work. This way they stay focused and I'm ready to answer their questions.

I color (with crayons!) while I teach my daughter phonics. She is distractible and stubborn so coloring is the only way I can keep from going crazy.

Beth

Sudoku mostly...

You ladies might have just saved.my.brain.

Seriously. My oldest DD is a slow, yet distractible, worker. I must sit with her but don't necessarily need to be immediately involved for independent practice. I believe I'll buy a sudoku book... or break out my long-neglected knitting needles... and I do like to color!