Menu

Family's young kids running wild in neighborhood, trespassing in yards

Rebecca VA

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would, at this point :), like to state the obvious: we do not know what, exactly, is happening. There is a plethora of peripheral information in the op.

* The family has 3 preschool age children running around the neighborhood completely unsupervised, after being dropped off from school? Preschool? Day Care? ...by whom?

*This realtor family obtained their home through 'shady' or 'nefarious' means; they bought it for less than asking price, thereby negatively affecting comps in the neighborhood.

* A neighbor, perhaps upset about the low-ball deal, has already tried to speak with them about their children, and shared with the OP that nothing was done. Both parents work and it seems are too cheap to pay for childcare, with the assumption being they love money more than they love their children?

My thoughts:

When did climbing over a stone wall in your own backyard to look at a fish pond next door, feed the fish, run through lawns, pick flowers etc., became something only naughty children with uncaring parents do?

The children run away when spoken to. If they are alone & unsupervised for so long they may be hungry. Perhaps offering ice water and carrot sticks (in case they have gluten allergies) might slow their escape long enough to ask if anyone is home, explain to them how dangerous it is to play near the water, and that you will tell their parents. Or, if the older two are too quick, one might be able to hold the had of the 2/3 year old and walk him/her home in front of the whole neighborhood (who knows these children are not supervised).

They are realtors. What do they do with their children on weekends when they are not being dropped off, unsupervised?

They are realtors. This means they have a website and an email address.

It is often more safe in places now than it ever was.

What's changed is a media culture that promulgates fear for profit. People's perception of fear is what's changed, not the reality. This has lead to self-imposed restrictions on our freedoms that are far more onerous than anything "the government" has ever tried to impose (and by a wide margin).

Kids lives today are often stifled. It is sad to witness. In two days I'll be 55. I've seen the freedoms of what was was a once cherished "red-blooded American childhood" choked to death. If you think today is better in this regard, we will need to disagree.

If there is a problem with the pond resolve it. But calling the police, or CPS for this sort of stuff??? Come on!

Bill

Generally agree. Unfortunately something else that has changed in the culture of litigation. In the past, if a child was injured while trespassing on someone else's property (especially after being warned against such behavior) the property owner would not likely be hauled into court in a lawsuit. In our day that is all too likely. I detest that aspect of our culture but it is all too real and needs to be taken into account.

I don't think I would jump to involve the authorities, I would first make every attempt to deal directly with the family, and probably put up no-trespassing signs. If such efforts were unsuccessful I would call the police.

There is another aspect to this situation: if these children are not being taught to respect the property and rights of other people, there is a good chance they will eventually get in a lot more trouble--the kind where police involvement is inevitable. Better to teach them (hopefully with their parents' reinforcement) now. We had a situation once where neighbor children (preteens) broke into our home when we were out of town and caused significant damage that could have been a lot worse (among other things, they were playing with matches and lighting paper on fire in the house). We were friendly with the families involved and chose to deal with the situation ourselves (with complete support from the children's parents). After serious discussions and appropriate consequences had been meted out I felt confident those kids had learned to respect the property of others--a lesson that badly needed to be learned, and none too soon.

I think there is a middle ground between oblivious and Mrs. Kravitz.

NeighborMrsKravitz2.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground at the hive at all lately. Or maybe ever but I just never noticed.

I don't think it's extreme to call the police to make them aware of a situation which may be very dangerous. It's also not extreme to attempt to contact the parents again first, calling them at work if needed.

Goodness, where is the attempt at understanding?

They are realtors. If they are like most realtors, you should be able to find their cell phone numbers all over the internet promoting themselves and their listings. Find the number. Call the parents EVERY SINGLE TIME they are in your yard. Don't wait for them to come home at night, call them then, while they are working. Most realtors will pick up every single call. If they start not picking up your repeated calls, switch to your husband's cell, then your kids and your land line. Keep a record of each time you call. After a few calls tell her if she doesn't do something about her kids tresspassing, you are going to have to call the cops for their sake and yours. Be sure to give out their phone number to your other neighbors so they can call as well when they come into their yards.

I've been wondering the same. I gave up boards for lent and when I came back I am wondering if I was used to it this way or if it went to the dark side while I was gone.

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground at the hive at all lately. Or maybe ever but I just never noticed.

I don't think it's extreme to call the police to make them aware of a situation which may be very dangerous. It's also not extreme to attempt to contact the parents again first, calling them at work if needed.

Goodness, where is the attempt at understanding?

Yes I would involve the police. If you would like to talk with them (the parents) it would be nice but not necessary. I think it is pretty obvious if they are hard to corner and talk to that they know what they are doing is wrong. The children are very young and need to be protected. This is coming from someone who has dealt with trespassers who do not stop even when asked. I understand your frustration. At this point our only option is to put up a very long fence which would be very expensive and would involve credit card debt to get the materials. That or call the police and then who knows how the neighbors will react? We have to live here. The sad thing is our trespassers are older than Bill and should know better. As it stands our children are nervous to use their own yard because of our adult neighbors. Not trying to steal your thread but just to sympathize with you. I hope you can get this resolved amicably and the children are safe as I know you are concerned about them. :grouphug:

edited because I apparently cannot proofread :)

The kids are under SIX. That's way too young. Who is supposedly "watching" them at this point? I would definitely call the police. I'm 34 and was fairly free-range from about 9, but there was always an older kid along with us. And there's a big difference between 6 and 9.

Ok...

My 5 yo regularly leads pond destroying expeditions in our neighborhood. It warms my heart to see the kids all playing together. While some may see this as a problem, I find that it is a very useful field trip/science experiment activity for our homeschooling ventures. I figure if they can see it, it's fair game!

:tongue_smilie:

Ok...

My 5 yo regularly leads pond destroying expeditions in our neighborhood. It warms my heart to see the kids all playing together. While some may see this as a problem, I find that it is a very useful field trip/science experiment activity for our homeschooling ventures. I figure if they can see it, it's fair game!

:tongue_smilie:

but this isn't a pond just out in nature. This is her fish pond. It has wires for lights and filter. Probably a plastic liner. Probably coy type fish.

I totally agree with you about pond expeditions. But there is a big differeence between a pond at a park, and small man made fishpond in a back yard.

Would you let your 5yo stick his hands in fish tank at someone's house or a pet store? It's the same thing in this case. Just a big, outdoor, open top fish tank. You have to take care of those things the same way. Filters, ph balances, chemicals, electricty and fish food.

They are realtors. If they are like most realtors, you should be able to find their cell phone numbers all over the internet promoting themselves and their listings. Find the number. Call the parents EVERY SINGLE TIME they are in your yard. Don't wait for them to come home at night, call them then, while they are working. Most realtors will pick up every single call. If they start not picking up your repeated calls, switch to your husband's cell, then your kids and your land line. Keep a record of each time you call. After a few calls tell her if she doesn't do something about her kids tresspassing, you are going to have to call the cops for their sake and yours. Be sure to give out their phone number to your other neighbors so they can call as well when they come into their yards.

I can see calling once. But I'm not going to nag some idiot into parenting their own kid. Call once and the next call will not be to them.

And the bolded is a fabulous reason to not ever give your private numbers to neighbors. :/

So we agree that speaking to the parents is the best first move, and that "calling in the authorities" is something we'd report to if other options fail?

The LAPD has operated historically under a rather unique model of policing ("we are the baddest gang in town") that has not fostered very good police-community relations. Things are slowly changing in the right direction. But, if you are unaware of the reality of the history of the LAPD in Los Angeles, don't go making too many assumptions. OK?

Bill

Which would be worse in your neighborhood: calling the police or letting 3 toddlers and preschoolers roam the streets of L.A.?

If I see three *little* kids who aren't even old enough to be in school in my backyard, and they run off like scared stray dogs when I approach, I'm going to call the police. Not to get the parents in trouble, but to keep the kids safe. I've never heard of police in the US beating preschoolers to a bloody pulp "King" style.

I had some neighbor kids vandalize my yard. I caught them mid-act (throwing big handfuls of mud over the fence and onto the side of my house). I was pregnant and angry! I made them come over and clean it up. The parent appeared awhile later and said nothing, but didn't look too pleased for what I had made her kids do.

I'd try actually talking to the parents first and tell them of your pond and inform them that damage was caused and that you would have to involve the police if they are unsupervised in your yard again.

I can see calling once. But I'm not going to nag some idiot into parenting their own kid. Call once and the next call will not be to them.

And the bolded is a fabulous reason to not ever give your private numbers to neighbors. :/

Either call them every time or call the cops after you've called the first couple times if they still won't do anything.

And their numbers aren't "private" numbers. Their realtors. Their numbers are already out there and they WANT them out there.

You don't want people having your number, don't go into a job where people have to call you so you can get work. And where your number is all over the internet, on business cards, plastered on signs in people's front yard.

They are really triplet fetuses that crawl from their mother's womb unbeknownst to her to wreak havoc on the bad-ass streets of LA.

I just had an Eraserhead flashback. Gah!

Don't worry. I don't charge extra for flashbacks.

Just don't expect extra tip. :p

And their numbers aren't "private" numbers. Their realtors. Their numbers are already out there and they WANT them out there.

You don't want people having your number, don't go into a job where people have to call you so you can get work. And where your number is all over the internet, on business cards, plastered on signs in people's front yard.

Total derail... But...

That's total carp.

People have their BUSINESS numbers out there so they can do BUSINESS. Just about every business person has a business number they put out to get business, not so everyone can nag them about their kids or whatever else. This is why people get ticked when solicitors call them at home or at work. They didn't invest in a business line to have people who don't want to do business call them. So if you aren't calling to give them work ir as a last resort emergency, then yeah, it's pretty rude to call their work line or their cell phones IMO.

So yeah, I would call ONCE and after that I'd call the cops. I'm not going to nag a grown adult to watch their own kid. No way.

My car broken down once when I with my older DS who was 4.. i think.. I was preg so I can't carry him and i asked him to stay under the tree when I talk to the tow truck. I was only about 10 feet away from him. Police officer drove by and stopped to ask why my DS was alone. He was ok after I explain that i was preg and i didn't feel confortable to let my DS too close to the street. So, no, it is not right to have a young kid out running around when parents nowhere to be found.

but this isn't a pond just out in nature. This is her fish pond. It has wires for lights and filter. Probably a plastic liner. Probably coy type fish.

I totally agree with you about pond expeditions. But there is a big differeence between a pond at a park, and small man made fishpond in a back yard.

Would you let your 5yo stick his hands in fish tank at someone's house or a pet store? It's the same thing in this case. Just a big, outdoor, open top fish tank. You have to take care of those things the same way. Filters, ph balances, chemicals, electricty and fish food.

I already "liked" your post but I wanted to add some things. There is also a big difference between a pond in a green space and a pond in a municipal park or someone's posted property. It gets me so angry when I see people defacing public property that my tax money helps to maintain. I've yelled at adults (30 somethings) who were standing on the baby swings stretching them out of any usable shape. Then people get mad because we don't have a decent park for children where children can play. I also get angry when I see children ruining natural habitats unnecessarily. Kids don't think about the animals that depend on those habitats. My kids are pretty free range but they have been taught from a young age how to respect other people's property and how to care for the environment that we live in. Free range doesn't mean free to do whatever you want because you are bored and can't come up with anything constructive to do.

Total derail... But...

That's total carp.

People have their BUSINESS numbers out there so they can do BUSINESS. Just about every business person has a business number they put out to get business, not so everyone can nag them about their kids or whatever else. This is why people get ticked when solicitors call them at home or at work. They didn't invest in a business line to have people who don't want to do business call them. So if you aren't calling to give them work ir as a last resort emergency, then yeah, it's pretty rude to call their work line or their cell phones IMO.

So yeah, I would call ONCE and after that I'd call the cops. I'm not going to nag a grown adult to watch their own kid. No way.

Sure call them once. But if they let their kids run like this, I'll bet calling them once won't do much. And I never said don't call the cops. I'd call them. But I wouldn't count on them doing anything, or scaring the parents into doing anything.

But if you won't talk to me at home, and your kid is going to keep coming into my yard like that, I'm going to keep calling you at work. Maybe you care more about work than keeping your kids out of my yard. You want to get back to work? Keep your kids out my pond/yard.

And you misspelled crap. Unless of course you were talking about the fish in the OP's pond.

They are really triplet fetuses that crawl from their mother's womb unbeknownst to her to wreak havoc on the bad-ass streets of LA.

In today's busy world, it is just so tough to keep track of your kids! I mean, selling houses takes time, ya know?

I live in the land where New Englanders are 'cold'....I think. ;) So they say. Although it looks like we are pretty darn close given this thread. The week we moved into our semi-rural area neighbors on both sides visited. We shared cell phone numbers from the beginning.

We let each other know when we are going on vacation (so yes, if a U-Haul shows up and starts loading my furniture, do call the cops), and we share snow blower numbers, as it's a free-for-all when there are 'storms of the century'. :) I give them eggs, they give me asparagus runners, and pay my kids good money to babysit.

It's totally win-win.

Sure call them once. But if they let their kids run like this, I'll bet calling them once won't do much. And I never said don't call the cops. I'd call them. But I wouldn't count on them doing anything, or scaring the parents into doing anything.

But if you won't talk to me at home, and your kid is going to keep coming into my yard like that, I'm going to keep calling you at work. Maybe you care more about work than keeping your kids out of my yard. You want to get back to work? Keep your kids out my pond/yard.

And you misspelled crap. Unless of course you were talking about the fish in the OP's pond.

I think she did it on purpose.

I already "liked" your post but I wanted to add some things. There is also a big difference between a pond in a green space and a pond in a municipal park or someone's posted property. It gets me so angry when I see people defacing public property that my tax money helps to maintain. I've yelled at adults (30 somethings) who were standing on the baby swings stretching them out of any usable shape. Then people get mad because we don't have a decent park for children where children can play. I also get angry when I see children ruining natural habitats unnecessarily. Kids don't think about the animals that depend on those habitats. My kids are pretty free range but they have been taught from a young age how to respect other people's property and how to care for the environment that we live in. Free range doesn't mean free to do whatever you want because you are bored and can't come up with anything constructive to do.

Bravo!

I live in the land where New Englanders are 'cold'....I think. ;) So they say. Although it looks like we are pretty darn close given this thread. The week we moved into our semi-rural area neighbors on both sides visited. We shared cell phone numbers from the beginning.

We let each other know when we are going on vacation (so yes, if a U-Haul shows up and starts loading my furniture, do call the cops), and we share snow blower numbers, as it's a free-for-all when there are 'storms of the century'. :) I give them eggs, they give me asparagus runners, and pay my kids good money to babysit.

It's totally win-win.

How lovely for you that you and both sets of neighbors want, sought out and enjoy that kind of relationship.

It's not what everyone else has . . . or wants.

The house we rent is on a corner, bordering a busy street with a stop for the city bus. The wonderful people who use public transportation are kind enough to leave all kinds of "gifts" for me -- mostly empty beer cans, half-eaten food, etc. -- since it's my responsibility to keep that part of the sidewalk tidy (something that was not disclosed to us when we chose to rent the house). Across the busy street from us is a triplex of apartments, only one of which seems to have been occupied by the same resident for the two years we've lived here. One of the other units has had several folks living there in the same time, most recently a couple whose shared hobby seems to be having screaming arguments in the middle of the night. (I had to debate with myself about making my own phone call to the police the night I was leaving to collect my daughter from an event and witnessed the male half of the couple holding the female half up against the front door by her neck with her feet dangling off the ground. "Fortunately," by the time I had decided I really did need to call, I saw the flashing lights approaching already.)

I have no idea who lives in the other unit, because I've never seen anyone come in or go out.

The house next to us is currently unoccupied and for sale. When there were people there, I think it was three young adults, although I never could get any of them to so much as make eye contact with me.

The house directly across the street from us the other way is used as some kind of office, I think, and is empty at night and on weekends. I do occasionally see a car parked over there on some weekdays. The house next to that one is a rental and has had at least three occupants in two years. It is currently empty and for rent again.

There do not seem to be children in any of the houses who might be babysitting clients for my own kids.

I can't even keep grass growing in our yard, let alone any vegetables. And, truthfully, I'm not home enough to tend a garden, anyway.

About a year ago, the mail carrier knocked on my door one afternoon and asked if I recognized the stray dog who had been following her around. I didn't, but I said I'd see if I could find an owner. I put the dog on my dog's leash and set out walking the neighborhood, hoping at first that the dog would know its way home. He didn't seem to, and was quite content to prace around and wander the street with me. Finally, I started knocking on the door of every house. Out of about 15 doors, I found people home at three. One of them was outright hostile. One door was opened by a group of tatooed young men who were very nice but utterly clueless. (From what I can tell, they moved about a week later.) At the third house, I found a lovely older woman who said she thought she had seen the dog around with a young man, walking first thing in the morning. She wasn't sure where the man lived, but promised she'd keep an eye out for him. I gave her my name and address, in case she happened to see him, and kept walking.

About 20 minutes later, when I was about to give up and take the dog home with me so I could call animal control, his owner found me. Apparently, he'd come home, found the dog missing and started his own round of door-knocking. He spoke to the older lady, who told him I'd been there and pointed out the direction she'd seen me walking.

In the intervening months, I've tried a few times to strike up a conversation with either the dog owner or the older lady. I can't get so much as a wave out of either of them.

As I've mentioned, I'm not the world's most social person. However, in the neighborhood where we lived before this one, I did meet several folks while out and about walking my own dog and knew at least a few of our neighbors well enough to wave or say hi or ask about their kids. I'm not anti-social, just introverted. But, boy, this just isn't that kind of neighborhood, apparently.

And I'm okay with that.

How lovely for you that you and both sets of neighbors want, sought out and enjoy that kind of relationship.

It's not what everyone else has . . . or wants.

I think you're fine. In sharing my situation I certainly wasn't asking introverts to become extroverts. In fact, I don't generally party with my neighbors, and I don't know if many on my street would be home in the middle of a day. And I am lucky.

Let me join you in dissent.

What the heck happened to "childhood" that kids can't explore their neighborhoods without people calling the police or CPS?

Personally, I'd love to see more kids out riding bikes, playing ball in vacant lots, climbing trees, without adults hovering all the time. That freedom I enjoyed as a child are lost to today's children. It is a big loss. And the reflexive response to call the police on children who are being children is at the crux of the problem.

If their is a pond safety issue, find a way to resolve it without going "nuclear."

Crikey!

Bill

There is a big difference, IMHO, between children playing in the neighborhood and children climbing fences into neighbor yards without permission and damaging things. Not to mention the safety issue of the pond with unsupervised kids.

Of all preschoolers who drown, 70 percent are in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning and 75 percent are missing from sight for five minutes or less. More boys than girls drown in ponds about 3:1. The incidence of drowning in ponds spikes at 3 years old and then again at 15/16 (mainly car crashes).

A drowning can happen very quickly. I don't think meeting the kids and talking to them about the pond will necessarily help. Ponds and water often attract kids. A lot depends on what you are worried about most. I've known people who emptied their pond until grandkids got bigger. I would definitely talk to the parents. Post signs. Then if it continues have a conversation with the police about your options. Ask their opinion.

Let me join you in dissent.

What the heck happened to "childhood" that kids can't explore their neighborhoods without people calling the police or CPS?

Personally, I'd love to see more kids out riding bikes, playing ball in vacant lots, climbing trees, without adults hovering all the time. That freedom I enjoyed as a child are lost to today's children. It is a big loss. And the reflexive response to call the police on children who are being children is at the crux of the problem.

If their is a pond safety issue, find a way to resolve it without going "nuclear."

Crikey!

Bill

My childhood was a lot like you described, it was good, healthy fun BUT we certainly weren't set loose as preschoolers. You HAVE to supervise children at that age even if you're comfortable with them roaming the neighborhood with their school friends when they're older.

In my state, it's illegal to leave children this young unattended. I don't think a call to the police it out of line. It might serve to wake the parents up before their kids find real trouble.

Talk,or attempt to talk, to the parents first. It's not ok to bypass that on third party information and assumption.

It could be that the parents hire a sitter, the sitter lets them roam unsupervised and the parents have no idea. (It could be a dozen other things, too!).

If the situation isn't improved after the conversation between neighbor adults, call authorities.

I am usually an advocate for kids roaming the neighborhood and playing outside. I spent my childhoodplaying in the neighborhood and it was great. My parents were aware of where I was though. We never scaled peoples fences to go into their yards and if we did something destructive then they would be able to find my parents who would then give us an appropriate consequence. I can't think of a time where I did something destructive. I know one time we threw berries across the street and the neighbor complained and we were told not to do it again and we didn't. I wish things were like they used to be.

That said this situation is different. The kids under 6 are too young to be wandering like that especially around a pond. It should not be op's job to do something to her pond that other children should not be going to in the first place. It is not okay to jump fences into other people property. It also seems like the parents are not even home and aware of where there children are. 6 and under is too young to be left alone for long periods of time. I was aloud to ride around the block and walk to the school to play and when I was going to school but I had to tell my parents where I was going.

Talk,or attempt to talk, to the parents first. It's not ok to bypass that on third party information and assumption.

She said that she has attempted to catch the parents at home.

So here my local circumstances may color (slightly) what I might do.

I will have to go back and look up your exact verbiage, but you accused me of being hostile towards police, and noted some WTM members have spouses who are police officers (as if they ough to be offended). Be real.

I said you seemed to have a dim view of police officers. You repeatedly stated that you have real problems with your local police and indicate that it would be traumatic (and possibly abusive) for the children to involve them. How does this not indicate a dim view? You are forthrightly stating that you have a problem with your local police, then trying to say *I* am insulting you by pointing out this very fact you have repeatedly stated on this thread. That is a very strange tactic.

That's a good experience but based on how the OP described the wild kids as (in the first post and thread title), It seems like you are comparing "apple" wild kids to "orange" little girl.

I kinda doubt that little kids are that "wild," and if—perchance they are—maybe those are precisely the children who most need a little kindness extended their way.

Bill

I said you seemed to have a dim view of police officers.

Which is an unfounded generalization on your part , and one I resent.

You repeatedly stated that you have real problems with your local police and indicate that it would be traumatic (and possibly abusive) for the children to involve them. .

Wrong again. I said the LAPD has historically not had a community-policing model that has build good police-community relations. The Chief of Police in Los Angeles would not dispute that, nor would his two predecessors.

How does this not indicate a dim view? You are forthrightly stating that you have a problem with your local police, then trying to say *I* am insulting you by pointing out this very fact you have repeatedly stated on this thread. That is a very strange tactic.

You are a relentless twister of truth. Knock it off!

The vast majority of Angelenos, including the current leadership of the LAPD, have a problem the model of policing historically practiced here. You said you knew someting of the LAPD clearly you don't. Either educate yourself, or keep your insinuations to yourself (or both). It is beyond rude!

Bill

The parents of the children have not been spoken with about this problem. Nor have the children been invited over for a safe look at the pond (where the ground rules and boundaries could be laid out). To go "nuclear" by calling in CPS or the police is an over reaction as far as I'm concerned.

If people are beating their children, or living in squalor you have a point. Kids exploring their neighborhood is not in the same class as "parents behaving badly." There are better way to deal with this than going to extreme measures, and ones that might, frankly, traumatize the children.

You have clearly never lived in the jurisdiction of the LAPD, where they treat you like a "King." ;)

Calling the police is extreme and going nuclear. Calling the police would be traumatic for the children. The LAPD is abusive, therefore that colors your view of them. They are the baddest gang in town. These are your words, not mine. Now you want to pretend I'm inventing a dim view?

Calling the police is extreme and going nuclear. Calling the police would be traumatic for the children. The LAPD is abusive, therefore that colors your view of them. They are the baddest gang in town. These are your words, not mine. Now you want to pretend I'm inventing a dim view?

"The baddest gang in town" was emblazoned on very popular t-shirts worn by LAPD officers in the 1980-90s. Not my invention lady. Clearly you know nothing of the history of the LAPD and just want to slander me. Why, I do not know. But it is not the first time you've stooped to this same despicable tactic.

And who wouldn't think it might not be traumatic for little kids to have the police arrive at their door whith them being in trouble? Be real!

Maybe it's time to put you on "ignore."

Bill

My parents were born in the late 30s and early 40s. They would have hauled the kids to the parents front door (omg. Can you picture the crap storm if someone touched their precious babies today?!) and maybe expected payment.

If they were crappy parents who were known to be useless, my parents absolutely would have called the cops.

Amen.

I imagine drowning in a pond would be rather traumatic for them, too.

It is often more safe in places now than it ever was.

What's changed is a media culture that promulgates fear for profit. People's perception of fear is what's changed, not the reality. This has lead to self-imposed restrictions on our freedoms that are far more onerous than anything "the government" has ever tried to impose (and by a wide margin).

Kids lives today are often stifled. It is sad to witness. In two days I'll be 55. I've seen the freedoms of what was was a once cherished "red-blooded American childhood" choked to death. If you think today is better in this regard, we will need to disagree.

If there is a problem with the pond resolve it. But calling the police, or CPS for this sort of stuff??? Come on!

Bill

Ahhh, but is it safer BECAUSE people are more watchful and neurotic? IMO, yes.